How often do you order take out these days?

Not once.

Dd16 had a meltdown last week so we agreed to let her get Dutch Bros during the week. She has to wear a mask, gloves, and she pours the drink in her own glass. She brings a trash bag and throws out the cup it came in. Then she sanitizes her hands. Not sure if this is overkill or not. I guess it depends who you ask.

Sorry, it was a recommendation from our own doctor and our local health officials. And it was early on before they knew as much, which is why I said I wasn't sure it was necessary, but since we're used to doing it now, I figure it doesn't hurt. I have seen what you're saying that if you're not going to use something in the next 24 hours, it's safe to put away and forget about - and I do believe that's true. However, having 4 kids, I don't trust them to not touch/move things before they're safe to do so. Personally, while everything I read now says low risk, that isn't no risk and personally we haven't done SIP for 5 weeks to run the risk of ruining it ourselves.

Here is an NPR article about transferring food to your own plates (it's towards the bottom). And yes, I saw that loon who went viral about that grocery wipe down and couldn't believe people were thinking soap and water on your fruit was a good idea!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out

Thanks, I must have re-written my post 3x since tone is so hard in text and I didn’t want to come across as snarky or questioning your procedures. I actually wanted to know as I see not only conflicting information, but info that seems kind of dangerous and going against common sense.

I think the FDA and CDC have even dropped the 24hrs thing from groceries. Everybody should do what they need to feel safe or comfortable. Crazy times!

I totally understand what you mean about tone and no offense taken! Things are changing so rapidly that it’s hard to keep up! It’s also so hard to know what to believe since there is so much conflicting information out there!

For us, it really is erring on the side of caution even if most of it is overkill!

So I’ve seen a couple of times in this thread where people say the places put the food that’s in bags/containers into another container (plastic box and plastic bag have been mentioned.) What is this supposed to accomplish? They’re touching both items and you’re touching both items. I don’t get it.

We order delivery once a week which has always been our routine. The only thing I do differently is I open the containers and then wash hands vs wash hands and then open containers. We tend to get things you need to take out of the container and put on a plate to eat anyway like pizza or chicken. If there’s leftovers I put in my own container but I did that before. I tip higher and have them leave food on the bench by the door.

The only order we've done is from the Mom and Pop Pizza place not far from us. They've reduced their hours though which can be an issue.
We've ordered from them twice - once in March and once in April.
I'll probably order once in May too. They are taking full precautions when delivering and when making the pizzas plus I'm helping to keep them open.
That's it. I make every dinner which is normal for us - we seldom eat out. Everyone in our house is responsible for their own lunch and breakfast and they clean up after themselves or else they suffer my wrath.

Three times. I’m tired of cooking and cleaning up dishes. .. too many palates and too many differing hours doesn’t help either. I’d do it more often but I get Overruled!

We always have loved eating out and go often so nothing’s changed. Except it’s cheaper because have only done big full meals twice. Cook occasionally. Married 55 years. Been there, done that.

All meal pickups have gloves and masks as we do. Walk in, order ready. Some right to car. Always favorite places. No deliveries.

Portillo’s
Mexican
Breakfast raspberry crepes
Pizza
Chinese
Olive Garden
Seasons 52
Jewish Deli for corned beef
BBQ
Etc

We take containers out of outside bags in the garage. Sanitize and wash hands. Usually do not change containers.

Soooooo......I'm getting the nerve up to order a pizza to be delivered at our home tomorrow. That's never happened before as we always drove the quarter of a mile to pick it up.

Because I really didn't want to ask about tipping on the main board as we KNOW how ugly that can get, I'm hoping that our $14 order can be written with a $20.00 check with the remainder being our tip for our delivery guy..........probably was his/her substitute teacher at one time. :love:

Or does the tip have to be separate from the bill??

A check?? There is not a place I know that would accept a check as payment for food (other than a supermarket).

I think I have only had Domino's delivered once in the first week of my lockdown, and that was over a month ago. Otherwise, I make a once a week grocery store trip, and I am not in there longer than 10 minutes.

Why not just hit the ATM and get a $20 out, assuming you have no cash on hand? Or just call them up and ask if you can place the order over the phone (or online) and add the tip, and pay w/ your card?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter