How old was your child?

2 years 10 months to take advantage of free under 3. We have been to WDW or DLR or both every year since then except 2020 and now 2022. That first trip was one of my absolute favorite trips. Everything was new and she was little enough that it was all real and magic. By age 5 she was being enlightened by other kindergarteners with older siblings that things weren't real, so I'm glad we had the total magic toddler years.

Don't believe that don't take them until they are tall enough to ride everything theory. Just because they are tall enough or a little older doesn't mean they WILL ride things. DD had hit 40 inches by her 3 year old trip and was a daredevil then and rode and enjoyed a lot of the thrill rides. By age 5 or 6, she developed a fear of thrill rides she had ridden and loved in the past and we couldn't get her back on most of them until age 9 or 10. Our worst trips kidwise (not counting things like a hurricane LOL) were ages 6-7. She was too big for a stroller, but didn't have the stamina for all the walking yet and would complain about her feet and legs, especially if it was a hot day, and get tired and whiny, and cranky quickly. She was scared of ALL the thrill rides, including the ones she had ridden multiple times and loved at age 3 and 4, and wouldn't get on any of them. We even had to bribe her onto Pirates at DLR because of the little drops. By 8 she had the walking stamina and was going from park open to close again, and things were much better and by 9 she was riding some of the thrill rides again.

I was eight and my sister was three, but we didn’t have a choice. We had to wait for them to build and open WDW before we could go. We went for the first time about six months after they opened.

Even at eight, my memories are a bit fuzzy. We went every year, so those first years kind of blend together, like sitting around eating ice cream and deciding which rides to use the tickets for. The first real specific memory I have is everyone running to go on Space Mountain our first trip after it opened, and how scared I was riding it when they didn’t tighten the seatbelt.

Personally, I would worry about taking a newborn from a germ standpoint, but that’s the only concern I would have.

Took my just turned 3-year-old recently and it was something of a nightmare. The first day and a half he tolerated the parks, after that he would scream and thrash in his stroller after being in one for about 20 minutes - just completely shut down. Even when we got back home he was off, acting out and tantruming around the house. I’m a lifelong Disney addict so I’m sooo bummed, I’m not sure if he’ll ever be a “Disney kid”. I’m taking him to the pediatrician because I’m starting to wonder if he has sensory processing issues - but I’m not sure even that would explain his reaction to the parks. I read stories of kids who have sensory processing and related issues and the parks are still magical for them. Another child attending with us has high functioning autism and he had an amazing time - so I’m not sure why my son acted like Disney was about as fun as a root canal. Still holding out hope that he’ll do better at a different age!
Every kid is different. My niece isn’t on the spectrum but she can’t handle amusement parks. Just like some adults.

2 years 10 months to take advantage of free under 3. We have been to WDW or DLR or both every year since then except 2020 and now 2022. That first trip was one of my absolute favorite trips. Everything was new and she was little enough that it was all real and magic. By age 5 she was being enlightened by other kindergarteners with older siblings that things weren't real, so I'm glad we had the total magic toddler years.

Don't believe that don't take them until they are tall enough to ride everything theory. Just because they are tall enough or a little older doesn't mean they WILL ride things. DD had hit 40 inches by her 3 year old trip and was a daredevil then and rode and enjoyed a lot of the thrill rides. By age 5 or 6, she developed a fear of thrill rides she had ridden and loved in the past and we couldn't get her back on most of them until age 9 or 10. Our worst trips kidwise (not counting things like a hurricane LOL) were ages 6-7. She was too big for a stroller, but didn't have the stamina for all the walking yet and would complain about her feet and legs, especially if it was a hot day, and get tired and whiny, and cranky quickly. She was scared of ALL the thrill rides, including the ones she had ridden multiple times and loved at age 3 and 4, and wouldn't get on any of them. We even had to bribe her onto Pirates at DLR because of the little drops. By 8 she had the walking stamina and was going from park open to close again, and things were much better and by 9 she was riding some of the thrill rides again.
Very true. We definitely have to pace our elementary aged kids now and they are NOT into thrill rides. I miss leisurely wheeling them around in a stroller.

My oldest was 2.5yo and my youngest was 10months (same trip). First family vacation coming out of a covid world and it was exactly what we needed!

My oldest is shy cause we stayed inside her first 2 years out of covid fear while we the kids were not boosted, but it was still a great time. She learned to cope and tell us when she wasn't comfortable but the Disney experience and vibe really did make her want to do everything. We even stayed out late for fireworks, she covered her years the whole time and didn't watch it all, but if I ask her about them now she'll tell me she wants to go back and watch. Makes me tear up every time.

First true Disney trip (week-long) was at 5 years for my son. We felt he'd get more out of it if he was tall enough to ride most rides and remember things. He had a great time and wanted to ride everything (all thrill rides), EXCEPT anything 'scary' (Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror). His favorite ride at the time by far was Big Thunder Railroad.

We had taken him for day trips previously (went to Animal Kingdom when was almost 2, since he liked animals and figured that would hold his attention the most). Also a day trip at 3.5 to California Adventure to see the Radiator Springs area - he doesn't remember that trip now, but he got a huge kick out of the character interactions.

Every kid is different. My niece isn’t on the spectrum but she can’t handle amusement parks. Just like some adults.

Raises hand- Pre kid I only went to Fantasyland early morning or at night, because it's stroller central and it was always too overwhelming.

DS, my first, went 6 times before age 2… starting at 5 months. I did have to travel to Orlando 2-3 times a year for work, so DS came along ( plus extra trips for fun only). I changed jobs after DD, but she still went as a baby. Now, at 12 and 15, it’s still their favorite vacation (and mine too).

Were here now with an 18 month old and are loving every minute of it. She's loving the characters and it's a different trip then past ones, bit slower but a good different

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter