How to know if someone is vaccinated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never personally known anyone with that scar. My parents don't have one, nor do any relatives. I wonder how many people actually got that vaccine.
It depends on how old you are and they are. They stopped giving the small pox vaccine in the US around 1972. Also, you may have just not noticed the scar. I doubt my adult children know that I have one. It used to be very visible, but it’s not as easily seen now. My brother who is 3 years younger than I am was vaccinated differently, and his scar was always a lot smaller and less noticeable than mine. So, your relatives may have the scar and you just don’t know it. Definitely, almost everyone was vaccinated pre-1972.

I don't know personally anyone who has that scar, not even those people who attended public school before 1972. I wonder if there was another way of getting it. I have seen people with that scar on their arm but never known anyone personally.

This conversation made me go look in the mirror.
Yup...it's there. Ever so faint after all these years. Barely visible.

The Walmart greeter asked to see my husband's vaccine card when he went in there yesterday without a mask, first time he has not worn one in a store and he said he felt like a rebel. He had a picture of it on his phone. They had a sign on the door that said vaccinated people could go maskless.

The Walmart greeter asked to see my husband's vaccine card when he went in there yesterday without a mask, first time he has not worn one in a store and he said he felt like a rebel. He had a picture of it on his phone. They had a sign on the door that said vaccinated people could go maskless.

I am assuming he/she was joking and just got lucky that your husband played along. I am vaccinated but I would have politely ignored that question because it really is none of their business.

Yes, but it can be very vague. It doesn't have to say what they were treated for. They generally say things like "John is under my care and will be able to return to work on May 20, 2021"
That’s actually beneficial to the employer, too, since it helps them avoid additional ADA exposure from having too much information. They get just enough for the intended purpose.

I just hope that one very positive thing that results from the year's nightmare is the elimination of the workforce culture/pressure to come to work when you're sick as some sort of "badge of honor" - or to send sick kids to school.

I had a boss once who made it clear that short of having gallons of blood shooting out our eyeballs, we had to be at work. It was awful, and the 30+ young people in our cubicle jungle were always sick. Blech. I had another job when I had 2 pre-schoolers and 10 PTO days off for the entire year - and had no choice but to go to work sick and send my kids sick - that or lose the job. And I worked 60+ hours a week, so it was never a work ethic issue.

Last year, pre-covid, our school district had a policy that kids HAD to be in school - anything more than 5 days out for any reason resulted in a "0" grade for days missed. A doctor's excuse was required for ANY illness. It was a nightmare, and again, sick kids in school all the time.

Hoping common sense prevails now. If you're sick, I pray employers will allow folks to be at home; and schools will allow kids reasonable time at home. Anyone see any changes to policy yet? I have heard our school district dialed back their policy for Covid and will leave it that way; and I now get to make sick policy - and my people know they can stay home if their sick with no penalty - but that was my rule before because I always thought spreading germs to others was yucky.
It would require more than a policy change. Hourly employees who don’t get paid if they don’t work will still feel pressured to go to work even if their employer won‘t “penalize” them for not being there.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's why most states are just dropping it. Because there is no way to know for sure who is vaccinated and who isn't, and many of the people who are most anxious to drop the masks are the least likely to be vaccinated.

So.... I'm just assuming everyone I see in a store is unvaccinated. Which means that all this "freedom" for grownups results in my kids being far more restricted than I'd hoped they'd be right now. I'm not allowing them inside stores, and we're not going to church once it moves indoors in two weeks.
With all due respect, this argument that there is no way to know for sure who is vaccinated does not hold water. Israel laid the groundwork for us three months ago by establishing their green passports wherein you know if you’re somewhere where everyone around you is vaccinated.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/e...w-about-israels-green-passport-program-659437
History will not look kindly upon us.

Who gets enough sick days to abuse, though? Our teachers get 5 per school year.

And of course, the other problem with requiring a note is that it assumes everyone has a PCP who will provide one a low/no charge, even though that's not the case and for a whole lot of people that note costs $50-100 for an office visit to confirm that it is a bad idea to go to work while puking or coughing uncontrollably.
Many ‘white collar’ companies no longer have a designated number of vacation/sick days. It is technically unlimited, though excessive use will likely have ramifications (so long as they are otherwise complying with employment and ada regs in how they dole out said ramifications, of course). This allows them to not have to accrue vacation days on their books.

Many ‘white collar’ companies no longer have a designated number of vacation/sick days. It is technically unlimited, though excessive use will likely have ramifications (so long as they are otherwise complying with employment and ada regs in how they dole out said ramifications, of course). This allows them to not have to accrue vacation days on their books.
And these policies almost universally end up with employees taking less vacation. Win/win for the employer.

And these policies almost universally end up with employees taking less vacation. Win/win for the employer.
I was mad when my husband‘s company went from 6 weeks vacatoon/unlimited sick/personal days to unlimited vacation days. My husband never took 6 weeks to begin with but will probably take fewer mow.

It would require more than a policy change. Hourly employees who don’t get paid if they don’t work will still feel pressured to go to work even if their employer won‘t “penalize” them for not being there.

This is where I love many small businesses I work with. We had one hourly employee who had severe Covid very early on, and missed two months of work. She was still paid 100% of her hourly rate, as if she worked that whole time, because we valued her health, her work ethic, and wanted her to come back when she was able. And she has, and is the same awesome team member she was before!

Another hourly employee is in a high risk group, with a very high risk spouse. She was set up to work from home immediately, and has been working remotely for a full year. She also "missed" a number of days due to health issues with her spouse, and was paid 100%. I get we can't change everyone, but many of us CAN effect a positive change in our own little way, and I'm happy to be a part of that.

I am assuming he/she was joking and just got lucky that your husband played along. I am vaccinated but I would have politely ignored that question because it really is none of their business.
He said they were serious. This was in Bowie, MD.

Walmart's policy was to not even enforce their mask requirement (as in they won't confront people/kick them out kind of thing) so that would be quite the thing for them to go well above and beyond not even enforcing it to suddenly making someone show their card to walk around without a mask. If you have concerns you should def. bring it up to that particular store's manager.

My friend is a teacher and her school district requires a doctor's note after 2 days of being absent:sad2: Can you imagine treating professionals like children?

In my district we have to get a doctor's note if we're absent on a Monday, Friday, or the day before or after a vacation. No note and they dock you $600 for each day.

I had the stomach flu the Friday before President's Day in 2020. I'm never absent and I don't take days off. My doctor was really cranky that I had to go in and get a note. He even wrote on the note how ridiculous the policy was.

Best thing about this, HR lost the note so I got docked anyway. Thankfully my principal had his secretary make a copy of the note before it was sent in.

With all due respect, this argument that there is no way to know for sure who is vaccinated does not hold water. Israel laid the groundwork for us three months ago by establishing their green passports wherein you know if you’re somewhere where everyone around you is vaccinated.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/e...w-about-israels-green-passport-program-659437
History will not look kindly upon us.
It will never happen in the US. I mean, look how long it's taken to get Real IDs up and going in all the states.

It will never happen in the US. I mean, look how long it's taken to get Real IDs up and going in all the states.
It would have required action at the federal level to avoid the same screw up. I kind of wish they had just because I assume international travel is going to be a nightmare going forward as you navigate proof of vaccination requirements in each individual country.

There are allegedly some private companies pursuing this but I think it'll be challenging to get a single document recognized in a large number of countries.

To be fair to that it was technology based issue there in addition to things like data collection. When you have 50 states with different licenses and renewal time periods and suddenly you're told by X date they all need to contain this and that it's going to lead to some issues. And REAL ID changed over time. The data that was collected and information needed on DL's has been increased over time.

My state has been charging a $4 fee since Jan 2009 to "modernize" the DMV system which at that time was 30 years old. We were REAL ID compliant (at that time) since 2007 but more things have been added.

Heck when the REAL ID was supposed to go into effect October 2020 only half of my state was expected to be caught during renewals to get the actual REAL ID with the added information the government wanted (which the actual REAL ID DLs had only started been issued in August 2017). I was going to have to either carry my passport or get it out of renewal (and pay an $8 photo fee) as my DL doesn't renew until 2022.

Anywho the resistance to data collection was only part of the hurdle with REAL ID. There's always pros and cons to how we have our system set up. People just tend to look at the cons selectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter