Hurricane Dorian - SWA/Delta/AA/JB waivers available

Just got an email from United about our flight. We leave tomorrow 8/30/19 and they are allowing to waive fees if you change flights. We are determined to go but in case anyone is using United and need to change flight, appears they waive the fees.

We’re supposed to arrive on SW from Boston on Wed. 9/4 at 12:30. We’re staying on DVC points and don’t really have a good time we can reschedule. I’m now looking at flying into Charleston, SC on Tuesday 9/3 and driving to Disney Wednesday morning. Not an ideal solution but I’m basically in the Disney or bust mode right now. I’m thinking that 95 and 4 should be okay to drive on by Wednesday. Anyone know if they close the two highways after hurricanes in the past?

We’re supposed to arrive on SW from Boston on Wed. 9/4 at 12:30. We’re staying on DVC points and don’t really have a good time we can reschedule. I’m now looking at flying into Charleston, SC on Tuesday 9/3 and driving to Disney Wednesday morning. Not an ideal solution but I’m basically in the Disney or bust mode right now. I’m thinking that 95 and 4 should be okay to drive on by Wednesday. Anyone know if they close the two highways after hurricanes in the past?

IIRC, I think 95 had problems after one of the hurricanes hitting the Carolinas several years ago. (Although, my mind is drawing a blank at which one. Matthew, maybe?)

I think it would be safe to fly into Orlando Wednesday morning. But if you want to be super-safe, can't you fly into Atlanta and drive down? I-75 should be fine, and I think the Turnpike will be as well. However, I have my doubts with I-95.

Our flight is set to arrive Tuesday 6pm and I doubt we will be on it. The only other way we could do this is if we arrive Monday.
We're coming from Australia and they won't allow us to change our flights unless we pay almost $1500 in change fees.
Should I risk it and go with Monday? I know this storm has slowed down.

I have a 2:20 pm flight out of Newark on September 4. I am planning on keeping the flight, as of this minute.

Do you know if it is 14 days from first leg or can I change the return as well? So I am currently 9/3-7. 14 days from 9/3 is 9/17. So can I shuffle my return from 9/7 to 9/21 as well? I assume so, but want to make sure.
Yes you can change the return as well as long as you booked round trip tickets and not 2 one way tickets. If you did 2 one way tickets and your return ticket is outside of the waiver dates which for SWA is currently through Sept 4. then you may have to pay a change fee and higher flight price to change the return unless you are on SWA then you just pay the difference in the fare price

Folks also don't forget to check with your credit card company. Most have a travel insurance benefit if you used the card to pay for your trip. Even if you got your airfare by using miles/points from your airline and then used the credit card to pay for the taxes you are still covered by the trip insurance offered by your CC.

Yes you can change the return as well as long as you booked round trip tickets and not 2 one way tickets. If you did 2 one way tickets and your return ticket is outside of the waiver dates which for SWA is currently through Sept 4. then you may have to pay a change fee and higher flight price to change the return unless you are on SWA then you just pay the difference in the fare price
Luckily I went with round trip this time since I booked fairly last minute. Thanks!

Our flight is set to arrive Tuesday 6pm and I doubt we will be on it. The only other way we could do this is if we arrive Monday.
We're coming from Australia and they won't allow us to change our flights unless we pay almost $1500 in change fees.

I wouldn't pay $1500 to change to Monday to risk it. Who know the storm could speed up.

If flights are not coming in to Orlando where would you be stuck? What airlines and flights do you have possibly someone could suggest something?

is anyone changing inbound flights on Sat 8/31? we arrive about 440pm

I already changed mine earlier this week when it looked like the Hurricane was hitting Sunday morning. If you can fly in Friday without too much issue I personally would do it. You can even stay at a hotel by the airport if you want to save money.

I wouldn't pay $1500 to change to Monday to risk it. Who know the storm could speed up.

If flights are not coming in to Orlando where would you be stuck? What airlines and flights do you have possibly someone could suggest something?

I already changed mine earlier this week when it looked like the Hurricane was hitting Sunday morning. If you can fly in Friday without too much issue I personally would do it. You can even stay at a hotel by the airport if you want to save money.
No I would have to pay that amount to get in on Sunday, if I want to go Monday I can for no change fees.
We're flying delta from LAX to MCO
We arrive into LAX 6am Monday morning
I'd be stuck in LAX, I could get a hotel. Man I hate Hurricane season, this is our last Sept trip I tell you that! It's ruined all our plans.

is anyone changing inbound flights on Sat 8/31? we arrive about 440pm

We changed ours from Saturday to Friday afternoon when Southwest put out the travel alert. I don't know if it was really necessary, but it gave us peace of mind and we were able to rearrange our plans pretty easily.

Southwest has offered us the option of rebooking our flight scheduled for Wednesday morning. I am trying to just wait and see, but am not sure. I don't want to be stuck on a Friday flight, missing two full days of our trip. What do you think? Wait and see, or rebook for later in the day Wednesday or Thursday?

No I would have to pay that amount to get in on Sunday, if I want to go Monday I can for no change fees.
We're flying delta from LAX to MCO
We arrive into LAX 6am Monday morning
I'd be stuck in LAX, I could get a hotel. Man I hate Hurricane season, this is our last Sept trip I tell you that! It's ruined all our plans.

It now says that by Tuesday morning it is going to slow down, only lots of rain, so arriving Tuesday evening could work out, but too early to tell. With the amount of travelling you have to do from Australia, I would risk it.

Worst comes to worst, you could go to DL for a day or two before travelling to WDW.

I have two one way tickets on Southwest, but called this morning and they will also change departure flights without any change fees, even if after 9/4. Our return flight is for 9/10 and they said it'd be not problem to change it.

For those rebooking, what day are you rebooking for next week?
We were supposed to get in this Saturday morning but rebooked for next Saturday, the 7th. JetBlue only waived the cancel fee and not the change fee. Hoping we gave enough time for them to reopen the airport if they are shutdown.

Keep an eye on the weather they are saying this hurricane could take a turn and go up the coast after striking Florida and the Carolina's could see heavy rain fall and strong winds. I do know they reverse the direction of the highway when they issue and evacuation but have not heard of a complete shut down. But then again there has never been a direct hurricane hit in this area they have all been in southern Florida and this time it predicted to be a more Central Florida direct hit. All depends on the road infrastructure

Last edited:
It now says that by Tuesday morning it is going to slow down, only lots of rain, so arriving Tuesday evening could work out, but too early to tell. With the amount of travelling you have to do from Australia, I would risk it.

Worst comes to worst, you could go to DL for a day or two before travelling to WDW.
I just called delta and changed to arriving Thursday we decided to go to Disneyland for 2 days but OMG the cost
It’s going to cost us almost $2000 AU for tickets and accommodation and I’m seriously stressed

I have two one way tickets on Southwest, but called this morning and they will also change departure flights without any change fees, even if after 9/4. Our return flight is for 9/10 and they said it'd be not problem to change it.

So waivers on Southwest means there is zero cost difference even if switching to a flight that was $100 more originally. If you change far enough out ahead there is no change fees on Southwest you just have to pay the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter