I am NOT staying at a value resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if you do not use the amenities at the Deluxe resorts, you wont miss them. I don't use the value resorts because we spend a lot of time at the resort and use the amenities at the mods or deluxe, but I would never spend the extra money is all we did was use the room to sleep and to shower. Have fun at Disney and know that not only are you on vacation, you are saving a bundle too!

Exactly! When the kids were small and we spent hours at the hotel pool, and grandma came with us and she would spend hours at the resort - thats an entirely different thing. This trip is a commando-style 'soak in as much disney as you can in 5 days" type of trip - so we would not be spending much time at the resort, so why pay the extra $$$.

I'm sorry you don't like POFQ but everyone is entitled to their opinion right? I've stayed at value once also and never again! I personally love Port Orleans french quarter! now that being said, I have never been to New Orleans so I have nothing to compare it to. I have only been with just my husband and I and it was the most relaxing time I have ever had at a resort! I've been to several of the bigger resorts...they were beautiful but way too busy for me. We are going back to POFQ this September and am totally looking forward to it. I hope you have a FANTASTIC time wherever you chose!

im sure there will be some who think I am being snotty, snobby or both but really I am not.

My brother has decided to take mom

We are staying 7 days (they don't want a split stay but I would split a value and then deluxe

I don't think you're being snobby/pretentious/ whatever
Life is full choices and wdw is full of individual choices-quite simply:
You can stay wherever you want!

If someone else is paying...you stay where they pay for you

If you are sharing costs...you ought to share decisions

Seriously-from your title; I was extremely confused til I read your post & now I'm still confused -just not as much!!

If you want a mod-book a mod

If you want to book point-book points

If you are sharing the cost -you need to discuss all the options available
Not just what bro &sil want

****I've jumped in and posted before I've read through as I'm an impatient witch at times****

Ok-I'm up to speed now-I just can hear you all sighing with relief!!!!!!

Yes-there are clearly different grades of hotels available in the outside world (shock)
Example-we visited Dd2 in london for Christmas and stayed in a 'moderate comparison' hotel the first night-with free parking,free WiFi,coffee maker,etc,beautiful room,fluffy towels,comfy beds etc..
The following nights we spent in a 'deluxe comparison ' hotel -4 Times the price
We were squashed in the room,had to request more (hard,smaller) towels,no parking,no coffee maker,etc....

Disney is far more open regarding the services/amenities provided
There are facilities for one and all..
Not necessarily regarding your bank balance-but your vacation needs.

Last year my girls and I met my brother, his wife, and their two kids at WDW. The AOA fit in their budget and is where they wanted to stay. We don't have the expense of airfare, so we wanted to upgrade our resort. We did spend the first night at AOA so we could enjoy some time at the pool together that afternoon/evening and we had a great time. The next day we moved to the Poly and just met them at the parks each day. We had some meals planned together and other times we did our own thing.

We were all in lockdown in our rooms for Hurricane Matthew and I must say I felt fortunate to be at the Poly and not still in the Little Mermaid room at the AOA.

I think you should stay off property at a hotel nearby. You can get really nice hotels for Disney Value hotel prices. You aren't as close to the parks and you're not in the "Disney bubble" but it's totally doable. That's what my family did when I was growing up, we never stayed on property and never missed out. I personally hate the values, did it once and never again. If I had to picked I'd go with off property

Ha! This brought back some fun childhood memories. When I was a kid and had the chance to go to WDW in the very early 80s, I believe there were only 2 resorts - Polynesian and the Contemporary. You pretty much had to stay in Kissimmee because Orlando didn't have that many options at the time. What made it fun is that almost EVERYONE seemed to stay in Kissimmee and drive in every day.

I'd have to agree with you. Much cleaner and brighter and happier than a Motel 6. Everyone Motel 6 I've stayed at has been dirty and in a shady part of town. I usually smell people smoking funny things when I walk down the hall. Nothing like Disney. The room sizes are similar I guess, but much different in all other ways.
Yes, I agree that the Disney values are nicer than a Motel 6, due to their cleanliness and theming (& the fact that you're in WDW, not in some yucky part of town). The rooms themselves are still basically motel rooms, though. I think that's the point people are making.

That said, we stayed at Pop once and it was one of our best WDW trips ever. Not the best due to Pop, but due to other factors. We just didn't really care for the room. I liked the outdoor sculptures, and the bus service was fine.

Last edited:
No judgment. Everyone has preferences. We figured out a long time ago that if we can't stay in specific rooms in specific resorts it's not worth it to us to go.

In your situation I would be honest with your family and let them know you understand if that won't work for them. You can still enjoy the parks and meals etc together.

Yes, I agree that the Disney values are nicer than a Motel 6, due to their cleanliness and theming (& the fact that you're in WDW, not in some yucky part of town). The rooms themselves are still basically motel rooms, though. I think that's the point people are making.

I don't agree. For one thing, people use the whole Motel 6 comparison when they are trying to be insulting. For another, then the same comparison could be made for the moderate resorts, as they are still pretty basic motel rooms.

I don't agree. For one thing, people use the whole Motel 6 comparison when they are trying to be insulting. For another, then the same comparison could be made for the moderate resorts, as they are still pretty basic motel rooms.
I didn't say it wasn't a put-down- it is. I don't like motels, which is why I didn't like staying at a value. The poster I quoted said that Motel 6's were particularly crummy motels & therefore not comparable to values, but I countered by saying that the comparison is made because the values are motel-like. Motel 6 is the best-known motel brand, so that's why the name is used.

I agree with a PP's comment that the moderates have a motel feel, too.

OP, I won't normally stay at hotels with doors on the outside. I stayed one night each at one of the all stars and at Coronando when we changed plans last minute (day of) and decided to fly down that night instead of the next morning - each stay was one of those random "hey honey, ya just wanna go and I'll change our flights, get a room and meet you at the airport" deal. Those rooms were what was available before moving to the Swolphin or YC. One time I flat cheaped out because I could have upgraded my entire stay and added the night, but with the upgrade and the night it was $650 and we weren't getting to the hotel until 11-12. The night at the all star I learned the value of room service, and hangry people. Never again.

I don't agree. For one thing, people use the whole Motel 6 comparison when they are trying to be insulting.

You can't compare a themed motel within WDW's ecosystem to a cheap motel chain outside. That being said, I have seen some Motel 6's that have been a fine night stay. No frills, just a place to lay your head.

Really most of the cheap motels around the country seem to be run by hard-working Indian families that are trying to build a life for themselves in America. When I am paying $59 a night, I am not expecting the Ritz. But most of the managers I have encountered still want you to have a pleasant stay.

The only thing that reminds me of a cheap motel chain is when the guests at the WDW Values start to get loud from too much drinking and partying.

Unfortunately with how your posts sounds combined with the title at least to me that's exactly how you are coming off even if that was not your intent.

Soooo wait a minute..your entire post is based on never staying in a resort category you have never actually stayed at?

Honest question but why would someone offer up advice in this specific situation..you've already advised you will not be staying at a Value but not only that to me it's almost like to you a Value is beneath you given the words "snotty" and "snobby"

---
Stay where you want to stay and let others stay where they want to stay based on their preferences, needs, vacation style etc. It's really that easy.

looks like you are an avid value resort visitor. I do not think the value resorts are beneath me. I honestly want to be convinced it is a good choice to stay at a value. I enjoy a queen or king beg, double vanity, larger room, sit down restaurant, nice lounge, but I have not stayed in all the resorts but I have read on here and other Disney info sites about the values. I knew by my title that I would get responses. Unfortunately, some will be judgmental and rude--- but thanks for the reply even though you didn't offer any support of the value resorts.

I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts from value to deluxe, with dvc villas also thrown in for good meausure. I have enjoyed every experience and appreciated the unique vibe each resort brought to my vacation. However, I know what I can and can't live without. I think that's what OP needs to ask. Can you be happy staying in a small hotel room with double beds (arguably uncomfortable), exterior corridors, and no table service dining? If you answer yes, a value is a perfectly lovely, clean experience. If the answer is no, there you have it. There's no point being unhappy on vacation, and no shame in wanting certain amenities. If you are looking for something beyond what a value can provide, choose a resort that more closely meets your needs and desires.

thanks this is so true- it is my vacation too and my DH pays for my Disney indulgence - so I am staying at the Boardwalk because I LOVE EPCOT ! If my mom or brother want to visit me over there they are more than welcome. Thanks for the reply - it kinda helped me solidify my decision.

I knew by my title that I would get responses.

So did you say it that way just to get more responses? I don't understand.

I was fine trying to help you because of the body of your message and I figured that you misspoke in your subject, but if you were trying to be out there and shocking in your title *just* so people would read it, I regret my posts. I don't like playing that game.

looks like you are an avid value resort visitor. I do not think the value resorts are beneath me. I honestly want to be convinced it is a good choice to stay at a value. I enjoy a queen or king beg, double vanity, larger room, sit down restaurant, nice lounge, but I have not stayed in all the resorts but I have read on here and other Disney info sites about the values. I knew by my title that I would get responses. Unfortunately, some will be judgmental and rude--- but thanks for the reply even though you didn't offer any support of the value resorts.
If you want to be convinced your choice of wording and tone of your post was way off then. Most people felt there was no convincing you. This thread was even featured today on the DIS Unplugged Disney World Podcast at the very end..ETA: I encourage you to listen to that whole segment because you'll understand the impression people are having but if you are looking for some positives or for some advice that podcast should also give you some information as they do discuss that.

Here's the youtube video. Start watching at 48 mins into it:

Like I said in a later post
upload_2017-3-14_15-37-22.png

I think you kinda have it backwards- you open a post titled you will "NOT" be staying at a value..say the words snobby and snotty but then think others are the ones being judgmental and rude? If you look at many other posts people aren't offering you any support of the values because you really don't come off as being receptive to being convinced. Many people say "Yup don't think you'll be convinced"..or something to that effect. Many other posters already know you have your mind made up...so yeah not just me whatsoever on this position.

I was fine trying to help you because of the body of your message and I figured that you misspoke in your subject, but if you were trying to be out there and shocking in your title *just* so people would read it, I regret my posts. I don't like playing that game.

I agree. You can't put a title like that out there and honestly expect to come off as snobby and judgmental about the Values.

And then to come back at people with "looks like you are an avid value resort visitor"? (Not you @bumbershoot - the OP). Given everything else you've said, I'm sorry, but that is an insult to all those who actually like the value resorts and choose to stay there.

Yeah...I'm done here.

Yes - I really wanted the best of the values brought out. But there were no real responses that swayed me to the values at this time.

Haha. I completely agree. We've stayed at all of the values on property. Early on it was out of necessity (newlyweds with one still in grad school so very little cash for upgrades) and lately it was because our daughter REALLY wanted to stay in a couple. However, I don't like them and feel like there is a huge jump from value to moderate simply due to the things I value in a resort. Now, I'm going to say something that will likely cause controversy and many will not like. Everyone has been warned. Ready? While I do get the Motel 6 vibe from the values, I also get it when I'm at Port Orleans French Quarter. It reminds me of a Motel 6 that had the Mardi Gras section of Dollar General thrown all over it.
Can't stand that Mardi Gras vibe. It's like a tribute to drunken behavior.

Yes - I really wanted the best of the values brought out. But there were no real responses that swayed me to the values at this time.
I don't think there was anything that anyone could say that would have swayed you. But if you really truly honestly genuinely are looking for information about the values please watch the podcast (linked above) from 48 mins in-to the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter