I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! Aug. '14 TR Updated 7/12

I followed your trip on Facebook, which is a first for me. ;). It was fun to get a real time sneak peek. I can 't wait to read about your VGF stay. :)

We are going to see the Frozen fireworks soon and I think you said that a good viewing spot was near Primetime. Can you get a good view of the fireworks from the area around the exit? I am most interested in hearing the music along with the fireworks. We hate the huge mobs exiting a park and want to avoid them if possible.

Thanks and looking forward to another great TR. :)

Glad to see you here Amy! (Sorry, you slipped your post in while I was working on the mega response post), didn't want you to think I missed your post. :goodvibes

I'm not that sensitive. :goodvibes Can't wait to read more detail. Your updates on Facebook were the best.

I don't get a chance to post much in your TRs but I always love lurking along! Can't wait to see some new things through the eye of Franklin's camera! :cool1:

Following along, can't wait to read more. We stayed at the Villas in February. Loved them!

Welcome back friends! Now that you know all the basics of our trip, let’s really get this party started! For those of you who may have followed our previous TRs, you’ll remember that Franklin and I like to maximize our Disney time. Which means we take an early flight to Orlando, a really early flight. Like 7 a.m. early.

DSC_8649-L.jpg

We look pretty bleary eyed, but getting to Florida before 9 a.m. is so totally worth it! Yep, still dark outside.

DSC_8650-L.jpg

It was a quick and uneventful flight, the best kind!

DSC_8655-L.jpg

We made our way to the faux-norail.

DSC_8657-L.jpg

Chelsea had flown in the night before and crashed at the airport Hyatt. Once we landed, I called her and told her where she could meet us. Found her!

DSC_8658-L.jpg

We made our way to the most magical of motorcoaches.

DSC_8659-L.jpg

Where were we headed? Oh, just the Magic Kingdom resort area.

DSC_8660-L.jpg

There was good news and bad news. The good news is we were led right to the bus. The bad news is we were some of the last people they let on the bus before departing, so our seats were pretty far back.

DSC_8662-L.jpg

But no matter. We were on our way to Disney and couldn’t be happier!

DSC_8665-L.jpg

Let’s head out, shall we?

DSC_8669-L.jpg

This was Franklin’s first experience with the new Not-So-Magical Express video. And he didn’t like it any more than I did in May. Though the baby Dapper Dans are pretty darn cute!

DSC_8666-L.jpg

DSC_8670-L.jpg

DSC_8671-L.jpg

DSC_8672-L.jpg

DSC_8673-L.jpg

It was a little tough to see the arch from our vantage point, so this was as good as it got. We’re here!

DSC_8678-L.jpg

First stop was Wilderness Lodge. The front of the building looked as gorgeous as ever. But a quick peek around the side of the building revealed all the scaffolding for the construction.

DSC_8690-L.jpg

Next was the classic A-framed Contemporary Resort.

DSC_8691-L.jpg

First monorail sighting of the trip!

DSC_8696-L.jpg

We could see our destination in the distance, but there was still one more stop to make.

DSC_8697-L.jpg

Welcome to the resort formerly known as the Polynesian. The now-Polynesian Village Resort is still very much under construction and looks a little like a war zone at the moment.

DSC_8703-L.jpg

DSC_8704-L.jpg

Let’s move on to a resort that pretty much looks like perfection.

DSC_8705-L.jpg

DSC_8709-L.jpg

DSC_8712-L.jpg

DSC_8720-L.jpg

DSC_8722-L.jpg

I couldn’t believe we were finally checking into the Grand Floridian for the very first time! A little background on our relationship with the Grand. I love, love, love this resort. Love the restaurants, love the lobby ambiance, love the look of the grounds. I pretty much always loved everything about the resort -- except the decor of the resort rooms. It was too grandma’s house frilly for my taste. When a DVC expansion was announced there, I didn’t give it much thought. But once they released sketches of what the villas would look like -- a sleek, more-modern version of the victorian theme -- I was hooked and we bought a new DVC contract before the building was anywhere near complete. Thirteen months after that purchase, we were finally checking into our new home.

DSC_8723-L.jpg

Check-in was a breeze. Our villa wasn’t ready, so we stashed our bags with bell services and headed upstairs to the monorail The castle was calling my name!

DSC_8724-L.jpg

DSC_8728-L.jpg

DSC_8726-L.jpg

I went and renewed my DAS, while Chelsea made a very important accessory purchase.

DSC_8727-L.jpg

We had a smidge of time to kill before our Be Our Guest FP+ reservations for lunch, just enough time for one ride. What did we choose?

DSC_8730-L.jpg

I’m not gonna lie, I liked the new paint job a lot more in person than I did from the photos I saw when it was unveiled.

DSC_8731-L.jpg

DSC_8733-L.jpg

DSC_8734-L.jpg

DSC_8738-L.jpg

DSC_8740-L.jpg

DSC_8741-L.jpg

DSC_8752-L.jpg

DSC_8755-L.jpg

DSC_8761-L.jpg

We departed our cruise around Tomorrowland and headed in the direction of New Fantasyland. The extended queue was in use for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train when we stopped to get a return time…

DSC_8764-L.jpg

… but the posted wait time was only 55 minutes. Hmmmm, that doesn’t seem to add up.

DSC_8766-L.jpg

No matter, we were on our way to lunch!

DSC_8767-L.jpg

We checked in for our FP+ reservations and they sent us straight into the castle.

DSC_8768-L.jpg

DSC_8769-L.jpg

DSC_8771-L.jpg

DSC_8773-L.jpg

We waited about 10 minutes to get into the ordering room, then another seven minutes for a kiosk to open up. We took our roses and grabbed a table in the Rose Gallery.

DSC_8786-L.jpg

DSC_8787-L.jpg

Franklin had the braised pork.

DSC_8775-L.jpg

I had the French onion soup and the croque monsieur.

DSC_8777-L.jpg

DSC_8776-L.jpg

Chelsea had the vegetable quiche.

DSC_8778-L.jpg

We all really enjoyed our food. I especially enjoyed my sandwich this time much more than the turkey sandwich I had last time we’d eaten lunch there. We’d be back for dinner later in the week, but we wanted Chelsea to see the rest of the restaurant, so we took a little tour around the castle!

DSC_8788-L.jpg

DSC_8790-L.jpg

That scrumptious meal is where we'll leave off for now, but there's more MK fun ahead!
But first, which meal at Be Our Guest is your favorite: Lunch or dinner?

So enjoying your TR!

Hmm. BoG Lunch or Dinner is a tough one. I'm going to say dinner because it is more relaxed and less frantic inside, and it's more pleasant to have table service. That said, getting that dinner ressie can be tough, so I'm so glad they offer lunch and an opportunity to get a look inside for more guests :)

Maria :upsidedow

I am new to your trip reports & apologize if this has been answered somewhere else - but what do you use for a camera!? Your pictures are gorgeous!
Can't wait to read more. :cool1:

So enjoying your TR!

Hmm. BoG Lunch or Dinner is a tough one. I'm going to say dinner because it is more relaxed and less frantic inside, and it's more pleasant to have table service. That said, getting that dinner ressie can be tough, so I'm so glad they offer lunch and an opportunity to get a look inside for more guests :)

Maria :upsidedow
Thank you! Getting that dinner reservation can be a bit frustrating.
Love your pictures of BOG!
Thanks! We love the Rose Gallery for lunch.
Awesome start - VGF check-in, BoG, and great photos from the Mine Train ride :thumbsup2
Yup, it was a pretty smooth start. We'll have photos from inside Mine Train next!
I am new to your trip reports & apologize if this has been answered somewhere else - but what do you use for a camera!? Your pictures are gorgeous!
Can't wait to read more. :cool1:
Thanks for joining in! I am using the Nikon D600 and most of the time during this trip I used the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens with it.

Feel free to ask any photography questions. I'll be here to answer them.

Great start and glad your travel was painless and that you found Chelsea no problem.

That must have been very exciting to arrive after waiting 13 months (and perhaps a tad frustrating that your villa wasn't ready yet) but to be able to just stash you bags and pop up to the monorail platform and be in MK before lunch time is a pretty good consolation.

I really like the pictures of you and Chelsea where you are in focus and the Castle is out of focus :thumbsup2

I am right with you in that I liked the new paint job to the People Mover much more in person than I did in pictures.

Considering that I have never been able to get a dinner ADR I'll have to say I prefer lunch at BOG :rotfl2:

Found this TR and subbing! I love all your photos -- felt like I was there on your trip :goodvibes

It's nice to see a good review of BOG lunch. I've seen so many negatives -- but since this is our first trip to WDW and that restaurant just looks so darn gorgeous, I decided to go ahead and book the FP lunch for one of our MK days. I'm planning on getting the same meal as you also (the Croque monsier and the french onion soup) :)

Originally Posted by Shazzasmd
Awesome start - VGF check-in, BoG, and great photos from the Mine Train ride

Yup, it was a pretty smooth start. We'll have photos from inside Mine Train next!

Oops, I meant to say I am EXPECTING great photos from the Mine Train, since you hinted earlier that Franklin nailed it :)

I was getting so excited for you on your ride on ME. Great build up to checking in at the Grand!!! :cloud9:

Joining in, to follow along with your latest report. Truth be told, I lurk on all your reports, but it only seems polite to come out and let you know I'm here occasionally.

Love to hear of your adventures and of course to look through all of your most amazing photos. You are both great photographers of all things Disney.

Can't wait to hear more about your villa. I love the GF resort and can understand why you would buy your DVC villa there. Must have been a lovely place to stay (or at least a much better place to stay than the Poly these days!)

I'll be following along in the days ahead!

Thanks

Hurrah for another Missy & Franklin TR! I will follow along as best I can. I can't wait to hear about all of your fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter