"I did (this) and it saved me hundreds (or thousands!)"

WaltsMartini

Mouseketeer
DisFriends, tell me the one biggest thing you've done that has ended up saving you hundreds or thousands each year. Did you cut the cord for cable? Start meal planning and shopping at Aldi? Renegotiate insurance?

We've got a new (to us) house, one kid in daycare and one soon to be, and I need some ideas to save more money!

Refinanced my house, saved me $500,000 over the life of the loan. Lots of times you're better looking at the biggies...granted, I do the small ones too:) Cut out buying books, $300-$400 per month, cut magazine subscriptions approx $200/year, cut newspaper subscription $800/year, eat at home other one meal a month (hard to gauge savings on that one), clean my own house, even though I have a high status job, drive my car till it can't be driven any longer...

DisFriends, tell me the one biggest thing you've done that has ended up saving you hundreds or thousands each year. Did you cut the cord for cable? Start meal planning and shopping at Aldi? Renegotiate insurance?

We've got a new (to us) house, one kid in daycare and one soon to be, and I need some ideas to save more money!

Stopped leaving the house and aimlessly wandering around stores like Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and World Market... Saves me hundreds a month. Seriously...I just try and stay home and don't let myself do ANY online shopping unless I absolutely need something.

Churning credit card points...In the last 3 months I have earned 2 nights at an awesome hotel in San Francisco for free, earned a free first class flight to HAwaii and on board for 2 more free first class flights to Hawaii. Obviously you need excellent credit score to do this but this literally shaves 3k a year of a family vacation

Refinanced my house, saved me $500,000 over the life of the loan. Lots of times you're better looking at the biggies...granted, I do the small ones too:) Cut out buying books, $300-$400 per month, cut magazine subscriptions approx $200/year, cut newspaper subscription $800/year, eat at home other one meal a month (hard to gauge savings on that one), clean my own house, even though I have a high status job, drive my car till it can't be driven any longer...

We used to have cleaning people that I LOVED, but have not asked them to start again since moving (only been here a month). I am thinking I will ask DH to take the kids one Saturday morning a month and I will do a "deep clean" like they would have done, and then "pay" the vacation account rather than pay someone else.

Stopped leaving the house and aimlessly wandering around stores like Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and World Market... Saves me hundreds a month. Seriously...I just try and stay home and don't let myself do ANY online shopping unless I absolutely need something.

Lol. This is me. I even took to the buy online, pick up in store for target so I physically won’t allow myself to walk that store! I go right to the customer service for the only things I actually need and walk out.

if you are paying pmi keep an eye on your home's value b/c some mortgages have a provision that allows you to drop it at no fee once your value to loan ratio hits the right numbers to no longer require it (we did this on a prior home w/an inexpensive appraisal and save hundreds per month).

we saved allot (thousands) when our (then) cpa ran the numbers to see how much (after taxes) it would make a difference in our net income if i went from full time to part. granted-i was fortunate in that my employer was offering to let people reduce their time but keep their f/t status (and f/t leave accruals/pension contributions/benefits package...) but even absent that-by being able to change my schedule from 40 to 30 per week it was such that my kids didn't need "after school care" (daycare after 3 p.m.)-saved us a TON.

we save a good chunk by bundling our home/auto/life/umbrella with the same carrier. we make sure to ask about every discount available to see if we qualify-and make sure they know to do so (once found a discount available b/c the home we owned had a fire hydrant in front of it). we pay auto insurance every 6 months vs. monthly b/c we get a discount and we don't get hit w/a monthly payment processing fee.

meal planning def. saves big time-and if you can prep/freeze for busy times it can save on being tempted to eat out (though i think there is no better value than papa murphy's $10 tuesdays-esp. if you've got a free cookie dough coupon to go with it).

Cutting or trimming the budget is a whole package of different things.

First you have to look at the big stuff mortgage, car payments, CC debt... You might want to talk to a financial planner. Look at refinancing your home even your cars.

Insurance shop around, bundle everything under one roof... with that said cheapest is not always best, figure out what coverage you need for everything, then think about having to replace everything... then make the decision... We got a huge discount on home owner because we have an alarm system. House, car and boat all insured through one company.

Don't go crazy, one of our friends cut out dental, eye and prescriptions on his health insurance... and now they are waiting till he can re-enroll for next year, so he can go to the dentist.

Paying off credit cards, get rid of the ones with high interest rates, and yearly fees... Shop around.. look for cash back or airline miles perks.

Electric bill out of site... make sure to change the filters, turn off lights, and fans when not in the room, turn up the air when your gone... But not so much that when you get home the air will run non stop to get it back to a cooler temp.

Cable/ internet/ cord cutting.... Our friends did the cord cutting thing, and thought wow its so much cheaper until they realized that not everything was included that they needed then once that they got what they wanted and needed, it was more than the cable bill, and less reliable service... So know what you are getting into

Phone - keep the phone you have, you don't have to upgrade just because a newer shinier model comes out.

Grocery shopping, couponing, meal planning, and freezer meals... all will save you money... Shop seasonal and flyer specials, cut out the quick stop at the store on the way home. Create a solid pantry, I shop at Aldi for all most all my staples, and pantry items, We warehouse shop for alot of things as well, paper products, drinks, cleaning and laundry supplies, we have a BJ's warehouse membership, they have in-store coupons plus you can use manufacturers coupons. We went on Saturday with our list, and between the in-store coupons and my manufacturers coupons I saved another 35.00 dollars.

We have a new lawn guy, not giving up lawn mowing service just not happening, but we did find someone who is less, and offer's more service's, mowing, edging, weeding, and basic trimming of the bushes. He is dependable and does a great job, and is 20.00 a month less than our previous guy who only would mow and weeding around the edge of the house.

I clean my own house. If you have kids they can help out, this is something that they will need to know how to do.

Services- Hair salon, I had been going to the same salon for a while and did enjoy going there and was happy with the service provide... But here's the thing the girl that did the cut, service went from 45 to 75 dollars, in a matter of 18 to 24 months, same basic style, then they started charging extra for blow drying... so what started out as a 45 + tip, became 75 for the cut, 15 to 25 for the blow dry( depending on hair length), plus tip, so 120.00 bucks for a hair cut... Then for color it was the same went up, plus then they started charging for blow drying... Then the students or apprentice stylist would wash or blow dry or even comb out...and you were expected to tip everyone. So I did change salons now I get everything for just a bit more than what my last hair cut cost me. Cut, color, wash, blow dry and style for one price. I love the new place and my new stylist. Nails salon same thing, check out different places, see what service come with the basics and work from there.

Pet supplies/ dog grooming shop around for cost.. Our friends use a mobile dog grooming service, you would think it would cost more, nope she saves around 200.00 per dog a year going with the mobile groomer, plus she doesn't have to drag the dogs out to have them get clean.

Groupon, for like car washing, oil change and tire rotations, meal deals, activities for the whole family.

Take your lunch to work, you can save so much money doing this... I took my lunch 4 days a week, which included snacks and drinks and would save over 240.00 dollars a month.

Cut out eating out and fast food, if your kids play sports or have alot of after school activities, have a cooler with drinks and healthy snack or sandwiches ready to go when they get in the car.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I did. It's amazing when I considered how often shopping was a social thing, not a necessity. Like, I'm bored, so I'll hit a few stores... a lunch and shopping date with girlfriends... meeting my sisters on Saturday mornings to hit thrift stores. Shopping when I didn't actually need something was costing a lot, but not just in whatever items I bought. Stuff has to be stored and cleaned and sometimes I never ended up using the item so that's a total waste.

1) Have a plan and stick to it. I haven't done this, but I should probably use the cash envelope kind of system.

What we do:
Switching to USAA for car and homewoner's insurance saved us a lot on car insurance and homeowner's insurance went up a little, but in the end, it still saved us money. We have had a major problem in the rental house and two very minor car accidents since then (one our fault, one not our fault)...and they have been nothing but pleasant and easy to work with.

We cut cable tv when we moved to our new house. We bought a Roku and an antenna and pay for Netflix (which we were getting anyway) and Amazon Prime (which we enjoy for the shipping benefits as well), so we save a lot there.

Check your cell phone plans. We changed about a year and a half ago to add a basic phone for my son and actually saved money (and got more data for us) by adding him because we changed plans. Also, some phone companies will discount certain jobs (Verizon gives us a percentage discount for Federal workers). We got rid of our landline years ago.

We keep cars for a long time (it helps that DH has a work vehicle so we only need one "good" car and one beater). I had a friend talking about trading in her 100,000 mile Honda Odyssey because it needed $2000 worth of work! (I could not imagine trading in a vehicle with only 100,000 plus you would spend over $2000 her just on taxes and registration fees)

We've never had a gym membership. I'm not in shape now, but I've been in excellent shape without one. We instead bought decent treadmills (probably should have bought used) and a cheap weight bench and some weights along with some good running shoes and have been fine with that.

If you aren't going to buy used clothes for your children, don't overbuy a ton of boutique clothes and then hope to resell them later. One, it is a lot of work, and two, even the boutique clothes get ruined and then you can't resell. Also, little kids don't need as many shoes, clothes, and jackets as you think and you turn around and they are too big to wear what you bought them. We buy cheaper clothes, a good pair of shoes, a pair of dressier shoes, and a coat (we buy big and do once every other year).

Groceries and eating out is still our problem. Our other problem is learning to say no to our children for little purchases and fundraisers and after school activities, which adds up.

Last edited:
I got YNAB (You Need a Budget) and started truly tracking our spending to see where all our money was going about a year and a half ago. Buying lunch/coffee at work was at least $200 per month. The amount of random Amazon shopping purchases was also a surprise. We were spending way more on eating out and groceries than I would have estimated. I found some random subscription stuff that we weren't really using that could easily be cancelled. Just by seeing how much we were spending on random "extras" immediately made us more aware of our spending habits, and we quickly were saving much more money than we had been - I'm sure we have thousands more in the bank than we would have if I hadn't gotten YNAB when I did.

We've limited eating out (and getting takeout) and I make sure I have super easy stuff on hand for dinner when the day gets crazy and no one has time to cook (eating scrambled eggs and toast for dinner once in a while saves us $40 over getting takeout, and is just as easy). I have always planned our meals before grocery shopping, but I now try to do a mix of pricey and cheap meals each week to keep the overall cost down. I definitely have curbed my Starbucks habit because coffee is now in my "fun money" category, so unless I'm having coffee with a friend, I stick to tea I can make at work.

We've always been pretty frugal about house/cars/clothing, but there were definitely places where we were "leaking" money, and addressing those have made a big difference.

Pay off DH's student loans as quick as we could.
Bought a very small apartment when we were in our late 20s. Everyone else was partying and we put all of our savings into it. Then flip to a bigger apartment couple years later, using the gains as down payment.
Bring lunch from home. Save at least $10 a day. That's 5K a year for me and DH.
Travel solely on points. I have done this before it becomes a trend. 10+ years now. Almost always international J awards + hotels.
No car. Public transportation only.

Churning credit card points...In the last 3 months I have earned 2 nights at an awesome hotel in San Francisco for free, earned a free first class flight to HAwaii and on board for 2 more free first class flights to Hawaii. Obviously you need excellent credit score to do this but this literally shaves 3k a year of a family vacation

My husband woulds say it would save more not to do any of those things. LOL. But yes, if those were vacations you would take anyways, it's great to save.

Credit card points/use/churning for vacation. We paid next to nothing for flight and hotel for 10 days in Great Britain last month. We overbudgeted food and came back with enough to book another trip next year. We have flight covered buy may need to pay for a few nights of lodging.

We changed home/car insurance in June and was hit with a mid term rate increase from Travellers with no claims filed. I reshopped and actually will be saving $1700 a year by switching to allstate for the same exact coverage.

We needed a vehicle and was able to negotiate 20% off the cost plus we have full warranty for 100,000 miles or 10 years. Our payment is less than our last new car was in 2008, plus the interest rate is mega low.

I save by paying! I work in a fairly unsafe neighborhood and put my name on a list for the paid parking garage. My name came up after a year but i must tandem park with a coworker that arrives after I do. I can no longer run out for lunch and grab a meal or go shopping without disturbing her. I make sure to bring lunch every day and save the shopping trips for weekends when my tween drives me out of any store in under 15 minutes. My 45 dollar a month parking bill saves me 100's!

Same here! Target and a Kohl’s, in store pick up, groceries online, send DH to Costco.

When we went on a Budget to pay down debt, I seriously went on a "no buy clothes" for one year.
I had so much clothes in my closet, from shopping online. It was so easy to serf the internet and put clothes in my basket and then having the thrill of it coming to my door. I truly needed to stop.
After one year, I decided to do it again.
I know you have small children and will need clothes, but try to be a backwards shopper.
Pick up clothes on the clearance rack at the end of seasons and store the clothes for the next year.
We live in Wisconsin, and I used to pick up snow pants and snow jackets in February/March for a fraction of the cost.

if you are paying pmi keep an eye on your home's value b/c some mortgages have a provision that allows you to drop it at no fee once your value to loan ratio hits the right numbers to no longer require it (we did this on a prior home w/an inexpensive appraisal and save hundreds per month)

Also your bank/mortgage company will usually not tell you when you hit that number and have the proper equity in your house. Also in most cases they will not refund any over payments you made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter