I know I'm late but..where have all the Disney Stores gone?!!

I'm fortunate that the one near me(RI) is still open. I usually stock up on Disney T-shirts to take with me on my trips.

Bummer about the WOD in NYC..I went there in December and thought I had found paradise.:confused:

On the WOD in NYC, it's a slightly different issue because it was operating under the Parks and Resorts division of TWDC, not TDS which actually operates under the Disney Consumer Product (DCP). They are related however because the WOD location USED to be the flagship TDS location prior to the decline which led to DCP to *licensing* TDS to TCP.

The initial problem of TDS was that it was so successful, it foolishly led to oversaturation. In Manhattan for example, there were 5 or 6 separate TDS stores alone, which is just downright silly, plus a few more in the outer boros. Eventually DCP had to start closing stores which included *every* single store within NYC. This led up to the license to TCP (who would eventually open just *one* TDS in all of NYC I believe, in Queens).

During the period between the TDS closures and the WOD opening, Disney actually kept the flagship location and paid the rent for an inoperable space (the building is owned by Coca-Cola). Then the WOD came and eventually went because the lease came up and they decided the rent was too high, so Parks and Resorts decided to close shop. This is what essentially provoked DCP into looking to open a TDS in Manhattan, the location of which is where the largest Virgin Megastore in the world was, which also closed down due to the economy and rent issues (this one closed some time before they started closing all of the Virgin Megastores).

Now the reason on why so many TDS stores are closing, even though it's all on DCP, it's essentially the same reasons: TCP, leases and the economy.

DCP bought back about 2/3 of the stores from TCP. When DCP planned to once again own and operate the TDS, they brought back Jim Fielding to Disney to head TDS. Because of the way things are going, TDS is taking a really good, hard look at the current scenario to avoid problems in the past which are further being complicated due to the economy.

This is mostly about leases, rent and consumers and how they work together. The original TDS policy was that leases were only long term. TDS would never open a store with a lease less than 10 years. The problem with this is that if a store isn't successful in a location, it has a minimum of 10 years of no success (unless there was a way for TDS to break the lease). So Fielding et al decided these long term leases are not necessarily the way to go anymore, so as leases come up, they take a look at whether it's worth it for the company to keep a particular location operating. Hence, it's subject to closure at that time.

At the same time, DCP is actively opening new stores (but not necessarily 'replacing' ones that are closing) and many of those are 'pop-up' stores in which the leases are for 2 years or less as per Fielding. In addition, Fielding is placing a much stronger emphasis on DisneyStore.com. If you'll recall, DisneyStore.com used to be DisneyShopping.com and in many respects, it had little to do with TDS. They were even completely separate lines of merchandise. This has already been changing and one of Fielding's efforts is to shift the burden of merchandise sales from the brick and mortars to DisneyStore.com. One of the key aspects of which, you may notice, is that the stores will be carrying less merchandise/clothing sizes, particularly for adults. He wants consumers to start directing their shopping towards DisneyStore.com where the warehouses are capable of stocking much more merchandise than a store could for an overall more effective bottom line. That said, he's absolutely not discarding the local stores, but hopes to make them more of a destination than just a store and part of that will include Disney Store merchandise specific to that location's area, which is something TDS used to offer many, many years back.

As for the new interactive design, although they're placing about a million dollars to convert each TDS store, it's almost a separate issue from the closures. It's essentially just another TDS design change of which there have already been 4 or 5 different styles of TDS. Every time they change the design of the store, the new stores feature the new design and they convert many of the previous existing stores, but it's never been across the board. There is in fact one TDS location that still features the original TDS design.

So long story short, it's about leases and rent costs and the economy in general. A lesson in how gluttony led to poverty and the overcaution as a result.

There are quite a few Disney Stores in my area though I don't visit them very often at all, not even the outlet one. Reason being, they don't have many items geared towards adults. I used to love going in and shopping for my collectibles but that just isn't an option anymore. Unless I need a gift for a child's gift...TDS is a no-go for me anymore

see my response above, it actually addresses why adult merchandise is being reduced/phased out at TDS (and why there may not be so many stores near you in another year or 2 or whatever)

They've closed 1 in our area so now we only have 1 in Jacksonville. We do have the Disney outlet in St. Augustine though. :) I like the outlet better because it has Disney park stuff. :) However, I usually just go to WoD at DTD when I need to shop because of my AP 10% discount.

There are quite a few Disney Stores in my area though I don't visit them very often at all, not even the outlet one. Reason being, they don't have many items geared towards adults. I used to love going in and shopping for my collectibles but that just isn't an option anymore. Unless I need a gift for a child's gift...TDS is a no-go for me anymore

ITA!! My 5 yr old doesn't HAVE any cash...I do! And I agree that it's mostly geared to princesses...which is fine but not just little princesses shop there.

I am very excited about the re-opening in Time Square, tho...we WILL be taking the grandkids down to check it out! Oh, and we have Other grandkids we can use as an excuse to go again! Bwahahahahahaha!!

We went to Myrtle Beach this weekend and was just there in Oct but the Disney store at Broadway at the Beach had closed...I swear it was there in Oct...maybe I was dreaming..

I was surprised to find it closed last week. But the one at Tanger up at the north end of Myrtle Beach is still open. The CM there told me the one at Broadway closed in Feb.

I'm going to move this over to the theme parks community board.

Here in Central PA all the disney stores in the Malls are gone.The only one left is the DIsney Store Outlet in the Hershey Park Outlets

There is only one now in the Nashville area in the Rivergate Mall. There used to be five.

Sadly this one has been gone since Disney bought the stores back from TCP as another poster mentioned.

The closest to me now is Louisville. The only in TN are Knoxville and the Gatlinburg area.

Both of the ones I was talking about were always crowded, too...always, especially the outlet.

I was going to buy the Princess and the Frog DVD for my daughter's Easter basket...denied!

On the WOD in NYC, it's a slightly different issue because it was operating under the Parks and Resorts division of TWDC, not TDS which actually operates under the Disney Consumer Product (DCP). They are related however because the WOD location USED to be the flagship TDS location prior to the decline which led to DCP to *licensing* TDS to TCP.

The initial problem of TDS was that it was so successful, it foolishly led to oversaturation. In Manhattan for example, there were 5 or 6 separate TDS stores alone, which is just downright silly, plus a few more in the outer boros. Eventually DCP had to start closing stores which included *every* single store within NYC. This led up to the license to TCP (who would eventually open just *one* TDS in all of NYC I believe, in Queens).

During the period between the TDS closures and the WOD opening, Disney actually kept the flagship location and paid the rent for an inoperable space (the building is owned by Coca-Cola). Then the WOD came and eventually went because the lease came up and they decided the rent was too high, so Parks and Resorts decided to close shop. This is what essentially provoked DCP into looking to open a TDS in Manhattan, the location of which is where the largest Virgin Megastore in the world was, which also closed down due to the economy and rent issues (this one closed some time before they started closing all of the Virgin Megastores).

Now the reason on why so many TDS stores are closing, even though it's all on DCP, it's essentially the same reasons: TCP, leases and the economy.

DCP bought back about 2/3 of the stores from TCP. When DCP planned to once again own and operate the TDS, they brought back Jim Fielding to Disney to head TDS. Because of the way things are going, TDS is taking a really good, hard look at the current scenario to avoid problems in the past which are further being complicated due to the economy.

This is mostly about leases, rent and consumers and how they work together. The original TDS policy was that leases were only long term. TDS would never open a store with a lease less than 10 years. The problem with this is that if a store isn't successful in a location, it has a minimum of 10 years of no success (unless there was a way for TDS to break the lease). So Fielding et al decided these long term leases are not necessarily the way to go anymore, so as leases come up, they take a look at whether it's worth it for the company to keep a particular location operating. Hence, it's subject to closure at that time.

At the same time, DCP is actively opening new stores (but not necessarily 'replacing' ones that are closing) and many of those are 'pop-up' stores in which the leases are for 2 years or less as per Fielding. In addition, Fielding is placing a much stronger emphasis on DisneyStore.com. If you'll recall, DisneyStore.com used to be DisneyShopping.com and in many respects, it had little to do with TDS. They were even completely separate lines of merchandise. This has already been changing and one of Fielding's efforts is to shift the burden of merchandise sales from the brick and mortars to DisneyStore.com. One of the key aspects of which, you may notice, is that the stores will be carrying less merchandise/clothing sizes, particularly for adults. He wants consumers to start directing their shopping towards DisneyStore.com where the warehouses are capable of stocking much more merchandise than a store could for an overall more effective bottom line. That said, he's absolutely not discarding the local stores, but hopes to make them more of a destination than just a store and part of that will include Disney Store merchandise specific to that location's area, which is something TDS used to offer many, many years back.

As for the new interactive design, although they're placing about a million dollars to convert each TDS store, it's almost a separate issue from the closures. It's essentially just another TDS design change of which there have already been 4 or 5 different styles of TDS. Every time they change the design of the store, the new stores feature the new design and they convert many of the previous existing stores, but it's never been across the board. There is in fact one TDS location that still features the original TDS design.

So long story short, it's about leases and rent costs and the economy in general. A lesson in how gluttony led to poverty and the overcaution as a result.

That explains a lot...thank you.

My Disney Store (Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham, AL) is closing at the end of April. I just started working there in October, but I've shopped there since I was a kid. It actually opened the same year I was born, I believe.

It's really sad, considering this is the only Disney Store within 2.5 hours of Birmingham. The closest will be Atlanta after we leave. All the guests and all the cast members are really upset about it. Our store consistently comes out #1 in the district, and we're always busy. It's just not fair that other states and cities still have multiple stores, and we won't have a single one (other than Mobile, which hardly counts). I hope Disney finds another location in the area, because Birmingham is going to miss them. :sad2:

I had received an email back in Jan. about the closing of the Yorktown mall store and it included a coupon for the on-line store and a coupon for the Disney store at Oakbrook Center.

You know, the Oak Brook store, stinks. It completely looks like the one's that were re-done by Children's Place.

The Yorktown one, was original (as you can see in the empty store picture :guilty: ) It had a Disney-esque feel even down that hallway, to the mall exit/entrance.

I think it's a stinking shame. I really liked having that one. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter