I know it's a long way off... but.. 2018 Dopey

Hard to think so far ahead, but I'd like to do it if I can make all the pieces fall into place (and get in)!

Is the 5th anniversary noteworthy? I mean, will there by a fancier medal for 5, or would they wait until 10? Id like to run next year regardless (hopefully with my wife who isn't able to run this year), but a fancier medal would certainly be some extra incentive.

I'd like to do the dopey... But at the very least I know I'll be there in some capacity. Marathon weekend currently is very special to me.

Is the 5th anniversary noteworthy? I mean, will there by a fancier medal for 5, or would they wait until 10? Id like to run next year regardless (hopefully with my wife who isn't able to run this year), but a fancier medal would certainly be some extra incentive.

They'll have special medals for the 10k (5 years), Dopey (5 years), and the marathon (25 years) in 2018.

As @FFigawi said, there should be special anniversary medals for the 10K, Dopey and Marathon. It's not necessarily guaranteed, but Disney has been pretty consistent celebrating every 5 years. The 20th Anniversary Marathon medal is still my favorite finisher medal I've received. I'm hoping the 25th will top it; at least in aesthetics if not emotional attachment (the 20th Anniversary race was my first marathon).

They'll have special medals for the 10k (5 years), Dopey (5 years), and the marathon (25 years) in 2018.

Based on the 20th Anniversary marathon medal, the 25th is going to be one big, honkin' hunk of bling!

The 20th anniversary marathon medal is amazing - my favorite for sure. If I don't get into Dopey I'll likely try through a charity (ASPCA?) - but the #1 goal is to run the marathon that year. :)

Maybe they'll do a "mile 25 spectacular" in 2018?! :rotfl2:

Maybe they'll do a "mile 25 spectacular" in 2018?! :rotfl2:

What was the "Mile 20 Spectacular" even supposed to be? Was it essentially just a DJ? I remain not only underwhelmed, but completely confused as to what they even intended.

It will be the 5th Dopey... An anniversary year for the marathon also. How many people are planning on doing Dopey in 2018? :D

It might feel like a long way off but now that we're all adulting we will wake up tomorrow and it be December 2017. :teleport:LOL

But, yes, I am doing Dopey 2018! That was my plan before I knew it was an anniversary year too. I'm not doing another Disney race until the Wine & Dine Challenge this year. Then 2017 will be Glass Slipper Challenge and (hopefully!) Tinkerbell Half or that challenge to get my pink C2C.

2018 I plan to do Castaway Cay cruise & 5k also to "award" myself for all my hard work training! Provided Run Disney does Castaway 5K that year.

2017 was just too soon for me!

What was the "Mile 20 Spectacular" even supposed to be? Was it essentially just a DJ? I remain not only underwhelmed, but completely confused as to what they even intended.
They couldn't have hyped it up any more. I remember the big puppets, 3 characters and the big mile marker. Which...I would have thought all of that was cool if they hadn't made it seem like such a big deal ahead of time. They were acting like Walt Disney himself was going to make an appearance. :rolleyes2
Don't sell them short. They can have lame things that make you go "meh" halfway through the 10k too.
The mile 5 spectacular! For the 5th anniversary of the 10K! :rotfl2:

Wow, I didn't realize there were that many anniversaries. I'll definitely be waiting on at noon hoping to get a spot.

I've been planning on 2018 since before I knew it was the anniversary... Funny enough it was after a boring day at the office when I stumbled on this site and specifically @Ariel484 and her race reports (thanks for those!)

And then I learned of the anniversaries and -- despite the 20th anny over-hype -- I'm planning even more and harder than before (if possible??) I mean really, that 20th medal -- can you imagine the 25th?!

We're making it a family affair - my sister will join me for her first full, my wife for her first 5k and two brothers-in-law for the half!

I really couldn't be more excited. Let's hope that stays until registration time next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter