I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if anyone is interested but Walmart ebooks has a thing where you make a new account and get a $5 credit. I bought a book that was $5.99 so after the credit it was only $0.99. It was one I’ve been wanting for awhile and my library doesn’t have it

So I bought DD (my companion) EBCI and she got A35 on our SW flight tomorrow. DS and I are B2 and B3. It seems like I don't need to buy priority boarding (if available) but I still have four to buy at no charge. Should I just buy them?
I wouldn't if I had B2 and B3. Just want to make sure you know the 4 upgrades are for card member year, not calendar year. So maybe you don't need to use yours yet.

Quick question... I have the Amex BGE, with a few thousand MR sitting there,I'd like to PC to something with no AF....what's the suggestion for this? And if I do PC,will the MR transfer over to the PC'd card automatically? ETA- can someone please remind me the rules for cnacling amex vs PC? As far as the AF goes....I haven't yet paid it, but I need to soon.

Last edited:
New to thread. But not new to DISboards. I joined planning my first family trip to DW and got sucked into the churning game of Target/eBay for Disney Gift Cards and did well making our first trip way more awesome than initial budget would have. Our family has no credit cards and has not for 10 years. (My husband is user on his dad's AE blue for emergencies). We live outside the US so no international fees is very important. We are looking for travel perks, of course cash back is great as well as points. Our airport is super small on our little island(RTB). No SW but they have come to see about adding here but so far have not. Family of 6. DH, myself and kids 15,13,11, and 9. We are US citizens and have a US mailing address but not much else ties us there. Will be scanning this thread over the next few days but so far just first page stickies. Looking forward to joining your family if I can slide in.

Last edited:
I wouldn't if I had B2 and B3. Just want to make sure you know the 4 upgrades are for card member year, not calendar year. So maybe you don't need to use yours yet.
Thanks! My calendar year ends mid-March and I have our return trip (dd has EBCI again) and a roundtrip ticket for me to Fort Myers before then so I can just use them up then.

Now to figure out which SW card to keep next year and which airlines to choose for Amex (I'm thinking AA and SW but I have to figure out expenses and timing).

Thanks for the info!! Other than Acadia I haven't really planned this trip. I have no idea what we will do in New Hampshire, but it was too close not to do something and cross another state off of our list. I've even considered going to Vermont to hit another state since I don't know when we would be back but I'm not sure if that will be too much driving for a one week vacation.

Definitely do it! My parents didn't want to drive to Vermont on our "leaf peeping" trip in the 70s and it ended up being State #50 for me in 2012. It was an expensive trip for one state, I'll tell you, although we all really enjoyed touring Ben & Jerry's.💜🍨🐄😋

Definitely do it! My parents didn't want to drive to Vermont on our "leaf peeping" trip in the 70s and it ended up being State #50 for me in 2012. It was an expensive trip for one state, I'll tell you, although we all really enjoyed touring Ben & Jerry's.💜🍨🐄😋
Thanks, I know you're right. If I don't do it now, it could end up being my last state as well, although I have a ways to go! Looks like it is only a few hours from Boston, so maybe we can squeeze it in:-)

Thanks, I know you're right. If I don't do it now, it could end up being my last state as well, although I have a ways to go! Looks like it is only a few hours from Boston, so maybe we can squeeze it in:-)

Really all of the states seem super close together compared to TX, CA and even FL! We flew into NH, drove to VT then over to ME and back out of NH. It was super easy, except for the Boston-like drivers around the Manchester airport, lol. I wanted to fly DD to HI for her 18th, hoping it would be her last but she lost interest in checking off states once she discovered European travel...so she still has 5 to go, which isn't bad at 19.

I might not have mentioned it but Ben and Jerry's was fun! Not as enjoyable to me as Bluebell in Brenham (I prefer Jerseys to Holsteins) but still really fun.

Are you local or visiting the area? We will be there next week. Let me know if you have any tips. I was thinking New Years Day may be our best day to do Busch Gardens. I figured a good amount of people will be hung over and not going out and another good portion will be at the bowl game. Thoughts?

I know you didn't ask me, but I live in Tampa, and it will likely be busy on New Year's Day. A lot of locals probably will not be going to the Outback Bowl (we don't have many Auburn fans down this way, especially with UF so close!), and Christmas Town will still be going on. I would say to get there early - and maybe spring for Quick Queue for rides like Cheetah Hunt, Tigris, and Cobra's Curse. 🙂 I hope you have a fantastic time!

My mom always did cursive for Santa. I was the obnoxious kid going 0h look mom, santa used some of our wrapping paper! Look, the easter bunny used the basket from the bathroom!!
My mom always had separate paper to use for Santa gifts and it was hidden in the coal room in the basement so we never saw it. I try to do the same. This year I wrapped the Elf gifts (my sister has an Elf, we don’t ) and had to get another paper. The Elf brings pajamas for the kids on Christmas Eve.
That's what I thought about my son also. He finally just stopped waking up (and waking us up) within the past year or so. He's 11. It will happen. :D
He also sleepwalks/talks. Sooooo creepy to be woken up with him just standing next to your bed, staring at you. :scared1:
Yes, it’s creepy and frightening sometimes. DS is 10 3/4, not sure there’s hope. Lol. When he was about 8, he said he had to grow up and stop needing mom and dad at night. Shortly after that he changed to Who cares?
My boys are coming home soon from their dad's house in the next hour or so and I am thinking of making brownies with them. I have an old kids' brownie recipe that I've made ever since the summer after 3rd grade. It's very basic but we all love it. Considering adding peanut butter and swirling it around. It should work, right?
Late to the party but it works great. I usually pop a measuring cup of peanut butter in the microwave for a minute or so to make it semi-liquid to pour and swirl.
Um, can you adopt me, please!?
Right? Between @tink1970 and @calypso726 I’d be happy to have another mom. I’m pretty sure I’m too old for that though.
Up and at 'em for work today... ugh. By work I mean I am physically present in my office lol.
I worked yesterday too. Our “interim lead” gave everyone the day off except the 2 newest, least experienced dietitians. I kept saying that wasn’t enough coverage so I went in myself. It was busy. I am off today though.
Lol, sorry you have to work. I am so glad I am off until January 2. I need this break.
So jealous. We are not even allowed to be off that long. The director of our department draws names and one person gets off the week of Christmas, on off the week of NY. We are allowed to have people off a day or 2, but no coverage is allowed so it means working shorthanded.
Took the kids to Kings Island Winterfest last night. This is a Cedar Fair park near Cincinnati for those not from the Midwest. DH got free tickets from work, but we still had to pay $20 for parking! Had a nice time though and it was in the 50’s all evening. I was surprised how many rides they had open as I was expecting mostly lights, shows, ice skating, and $5 hot chocolate. It was quite crowded. People like us taking advantage of the warmer temps I guess.

Went to Cheesecake Factory beforehand for “snacks” and to use my new gold $10 credit, and ended up spending way more than that. I think that gold credit may end up backfiring on me. Not sure it will actually SAVE me money. Lol
Six Flags near Chicago is open until NY now. They started last year. Given the warm spell of 50-60 degree weather it probably isn’t bad today but I just couldn’t get excited.
Here is my PSA for today. I had an AMEX gift card I got for a gift from an old boss for Christmas 2015 or 2016. It says funds never expire, and the expiration date on the card is 2024. I went to check the balance today and was told the card needs to be replaced. So I called and because it hadn't had use yet, the funds were given to the state, and only the person who bought the card can get the funds now. So much for funds never expire.
So if you bought an Amex GC with cash and gave it away, how would they know who bought it. Seems like a silly system. I see later posts that you found it listed under your bosses name. I would let him know, and explain you forgot it or lost it. If you don’t say anything the state keeps his money and neither of you gets anything ☹
I’m gonna follow @SouthFayetteFan ’s lead here and try to disconnect today & for the weekend. Safe travels to those traveling, fun times to those celebrating, & my prayers go with you to those who want the kids back in school already 🤣
Wait, I just got here...

Last edited:
I know you didn't ask me, but I live in Tampa, and it will likely be busy on New Year's Day. A lot of locals probably will not be going to the Outback Bowl (we don't have many Auburn fans down this way, especially with UF so close!), and Christmas Town will still be going on. I would say to get there early - and maybe spring for Quick Queue for rides like Cheetah Hunt, Tigris, and Cobra's Curse. 🙂 I hope you have a fantastic time!

i have looked at the quick queue, but Gahhhhhhh it is sooooo expensive. I even have 2 Busch Garden offers on my Amex and could use those, but don't think I can do it. It is more than I paid for the tickets!

So if you bought an Amex GC with cash and gave it away, how would they know who bought it. Seems like a silly system. I see later posts that you found it listed under your bosses name. I would let him know, and explain you forgot it or lost it. If you don’t say anything the state keeps his money and neither of you gets anything ☹
I don't work for that company anymore, and he wasn't my boss the last year I was there. I did tell my other former boss, who works with him still, that he has funds he can go get. No way he is going to get me the funds again. Lesson learned.

My mom always had separate paper to use for Santa gifts and it was hidden in the coal room in the basement so we never saw it. I try to do the same. This year I wrapped the Elf gifts (my sister has an Elf, we don’t ) and had to get another paper. The Elf brings pajamas for the kids on Christmas Eve.

Yes, it’s creepy and frightening sometimes. DS is 10 3/4, not sure there’s hope. Lol. When he was about 8, he said he had to grow up and stop needing mom and dad at night. Shortly after that he changed to Who cares?

Late to the party but it works great. I usually pop a measuring cup of peanut butter in the microwave for a minute or so to make it semi-liquid to pour and swirl.

Right? Between @tink1970 and @calypso726 I’d be happy to have another mom. I’m pretty sure I’m too old for that though.

I worked yesterday too. Our “interim lead” gave everyone the day off except the 2 newest, least experienced dietitians. I kept saying that wasn’t enough coverage so I went in myself. It was busy. I am off today though.

So jealous. We are not even allowed to be off that long. The director of our department draws names and one person gets off the week of Christmas, on off the week of NY. We are allowed to have people off a day or 2, but no coverage is allowed so it means working shorthanded.

Six Flags near Chicago is open until NY now. They started last year. Given the warm spell of 50-60 degree weather it probably isn’t bad today but I just couldn’t get excited.

Wait, I just got here...
Our office is closed so it’s not just me being off. It’s a seasonal business so this is our down time or year. But on the other hand spring, summer and fall are much busier so I can’t take vacation during those seasons.

2020 plans
Beginning of March
UCT Private event at USO. Event tickets and 2 nights club level at Hard Rock with URs. Flight with SW points and CP

End of March New Orleans for Spring Break. 2 nights at Ritz Carlton (1 50k FN + 50k Bonbon points) and 2 nights Hyatt Centric (1 FN + 15k Hyatt points)
Flights on SW.

June, California. 3 nights at Hilton Universal City (2 FN + points) and 3 day tickets to USH with Costco cash card from cruise earlier this year. Then 6 nights at Fairfield Inn Anaheim (1 FN + points) and 5 day park hoppers for DLR (1 with CSR credit + UR; 2 with Citi TY points). Have accumulated $1100 in DGCs so far at an average 21% off. I figure $1500 should be enough. Hopefully.

Would like to add another trip in but I’m limited. School likely starts week of August 10, but calendar is not out yet. Not a big fan of hot, so travel in July/August not my favorite. Fall after school starts probably not a good idea. DS takes a few months each year to settle in to school (he’s not a fan of school and after off for summer, starting with new teacher etc stresses him) plus next year he starts middle school so it will be a huge change. Adding travel may make things worse. I may squeeze in a July/August trip once I know school calendar

I don't think too many people here have a CO Venture card, but thought I'd share something interesting. They recently made support links available on the card and it said you would get $100 for each link used. I just assumed it meant $100 in points, but it's actually a $100 statement credit! It also posted within 24 hours of the person using my link. I'm actually kind of glad to have the statement credit because our balance is high on that card this month since we put an $1800 charge on it related to DH's new car.
That's weird, I hope it shows up for you soon. They started the support links about a month after I got the card and it showed up right away. I do like the card, I think it's a great value considering the GE/Precheck credit too. I'm buying Universal tickets on UT soon and using the eraser feature for the first time.
Thank you for mentioning this card - I have a pre-churning one that I recently dragged out and found my husband has $450 in rewards and I have $350. Im thinking of using them for our Fort Wilderness trip. Is this how they would work: Charge to the room, pay with the card, erase the charge? Is it that easy? It would be great to pay most of the trip with these (yeah, Disney camping is the most expensive camping). Also, since I got it so long ago GE wasn’t even on my radar so also thanks for mentioning. I’m going to get for my parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter