I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For cheap flight alerts, I use Scott’s cheap flights. You have to be open to a variety of dates, and you select airports you are willing to fly out of. They send alerts straight to your email.

For finding award space for a SPECIFIC destination, which sounds like you are, I like point.me. It’s super user friendly and you can select the programs you have currency in (Amex MRs, Chase URs, etc) and you can filter only those transfer partners, if you prefer.

I do also really like seatspy, but it has very specific uses, like nonstop flights on AirFrance, KLM, British airways, etc. But they have a great award calendar if you are flying nonstop on a few specific airlines.
I had this for 2 years my problem is I obsess over going somewhere, finding the Hyatt hotel the points/cash price is best, etc. he has a premium service too but I think I would be in the same situation where like right now I want to go to japan badly that will take precedence over any deal.

Thanks for this. I still have a few weeks to go before day 60. Will be watching for it. Are you going to close the account or is there fees to do that?
I'm going to keep it open for now since I also opened the cashback Biz CC. I'm pretty sure the banker set it up to automatically deposit the cashback into the checking account on a quarterly basis, so I'll leave it open to at least get the bonus deposited. Then I'll decide whether to get it changed or not.

I opened the lowest version of the account that only requires $500 min bal to keep it free. So I'll withdraw most of the cash and just keep the min.

I'm also not one to close accounts right away. I'd like banks to keep offering bonuses so I play along for a bit before closing, if it's easy enough. Some banks have been good for "DD"s to other banks so I take advantage of that too while I have it.

these suck no offense any tips for anyone maxing these out?

Someone that drives a lot with higher than avg prices. Or had a gas station that inside sells gc and codes as gas and takes cc as payment for them.

Otherwise probably not unless the entertainment is ok and there's tickets to something. Just makes me hope I get the hyatt biz when I app on Sun more cause they are a big bummer.

Someone that drives a lot with higher than avg prices. Or had a gas station that inside sells gc and codes as gas and takes cc as payment for them.

Otherwise probably not unless the entertainment is ok and there's tickets to something. Just makes me hope I get the hyatt biz when I app on Sun more cause they are a big bummer.
I’m not thrilled with these but with gas ok its way to $6/gallon it will get a little use.

I’m not thrilled with these but with gas ok its way to $6/gallon it will get a little use.
yeah, I'm just complaining but maybe Disney parks are a bonus? and code as entertainment? wishful thinking I guess. I only see the gas prices as i drive by so maybe i pick up a gift card there i just don't want to get triggered or something maybe i sock drawer it for a quarter.

We were in Zion, Bryce and Yellowstone mid July last year. it was HOT. like 97 on July 4 at Zion. We made National Park reservations a year out, but local campgrounds more like 4 - 6 months. its seems you are not camping though. Hiking in the mornings and evenings was fine, not difficult to get on Zion Shuttle before 9 am. Took local advice and didn't try Bryce in the early AM because of traffic, and had no issues with driving all the way through, various lookouts and short hikes, and then the Queens/Navajo loop before sunset. There is no grocery store anywhere near Bryce Canyon. and not very good restaurant options. Springdale UT has everything you would need.

Highly recommend Zion Adventure Company! We hired a guide for the Narrows hike, comes with water boots and a hiking stick, and then added e-bikes because of changing Covid rules about shuttles. The wonderful Miles met us in town, got us outfitted, we rode through the park instead of waiting and cramming on the shuttle, and hiked the Narrows. definitely a bucket list experience, made so easy by the Zion Adventure Co.

Consider checking out Dark Ranger Telescope Tours in Bryce. small groups stargazing with great "guides" - in one of the last light pollution free areas of the US.
Thanks SO much for these recommendations!! We loosely put together an alternative trip for now if YNP doesn't work out. Fly in/out of Vegas, and hit Valley of Fire State Park, Zion, Bryce Canyon (and booked a Dark Ranger Telescope Tour - DH is pumped for that!), and trying to get a little further to Peek-a-boo slot canyon or Antelope Canyon if time permits.
I will have to look into Zion Adventure Company next, because if I'm there I DEF want to hike the Narrows.
Booked a hotel in Springdale as a jump off for Zion on points, a hotel in Kanab for Bryce on points, reserved a car (cheaper than Yellowstone, wohoo!). I need to look into flights, which are more points/money since they are semi last minute. We got our YNP flights for an amazing price (12K roundtrip per person), and it's looking like RT to Vegas will be closer to 30K pp, ouch! Everything else appears to be cheaper, however, so that's good.

Last edited:
Another CSR question about using up that TC.... ANyone ever booked a hotel thru UT,since they have free cancellation? I would *like* to use the hotel I book, but if I couldn't.....would that use up the TC no matter what(if I cancel or not?) advice pleeeese
I don't have personal experience booking a hotel on UCT, but I'm pretty sure that'll work. Plenty of reports of UCT coding as travel and also lots of reports of people cancelling what they earned the TC on and not having the TC taken back. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they do deduct the value of whatever points would have been earned by the purchase.

My husband just opened the chase boundless Marriott card, and we’ll soon hit the min spend for 5 free night certs (up to 50K each, can top off to 65).

Does anyone have experience booking one room at the dolphin with free night certs and booking another guaranteed connecting with cash? We don’t fit in one room, but we also only have two adults, so guaranteed connecting is pretty key.

Apologies if this is better asked in another thread!

My husband just opened the chase boundless Marriott card, and we’ll soon hit the min spend for 5 free night certs (up to 50K each, can top off to 65).

Does anyone have experience booking one room at the dolphin with free night certs and booking another guaranteed connecting with cash? We don’t fit in one room, but we also only have two adults, so guaranteed connecting is pretty key.

I don't think many here book 2 rooms. That might be a booking you'd want to do by phone. I don't know how easy they make it to use fnc yo book online because I don't have Marriott points, but I know with hyatt and Hilton their phone reps are always nice and helpful and get everything linked when booking fnc and points nights.

Use the Marriott number on the back of the cc to call.

Do these categories tend to be the same every year? Like Discover always has amazon the end of the year.
i follow this closely it seems to be random. I guess they figured people need a gas rebate so they will go towards that.
the bonus categories open up in July so ill check after the 4th weekend hopefully I get more than 2 this time.

these suck no offense any tips for anyone maxing these out?
They are better for me than the Q2, though we don't use much gas or go to movies much. I have 2 Freedoms and only have my $16.57 Netflix charge on it now. I have other ways to pay for Amazon.

I am curious about the live entertainment. My local small concert venue codes as dining (even for in house ticket purchases) so I have been using the Sapphire PYB on charges there. If that goes away June 30 I'm going to miss it!

They are better for me than the Q2, though we don't use much gas or go to movies much. I have 2 Freedoms and only have my $16.57 Netflix charge on it now. I have other ways to pay for Amazon.

I am curious about the live entertainment. My local small concert venue codes as dining (even for in house ticket purchases) so I have been using the Sapphire PYB on charges there. If that goes away June 30 I'm going to miss it!
I did most of mine through amazon I figured 5x chase points are worth better than the 5% amazon cash back because when there is availability I can get more value. But yeah I hear you. Hopefully, q4 is better.

there is a lot of talk in the Swan/ Dolphin thread about a room category that does what you need, not bookable on line, I believe:
Note: The Swan resort at WDW (right next to the Boardwalk) has a category of rooms know as n"Family rooms" where a King Bed room connects to a double Queen room. This is a booking category so you will get your requested combination.

Dave
the experts there could tell you if that could be a points/cash combo

Thanks SO much for these recommendations!! We loosely put together an alternative trip for now if YNP doesn't work out. Fly in/out of Vegas, and hit Valley of Fire State Park, Zion, Bryce Canyon (and booked a Dark Ranger Telescope Tour - DH is pumped for that!), and trying to get a little further to Peek-a-boo slot canyon or Antelope Canyon if time permits.
I will have to look into Zion Adventure Company next, because if I'm there I DEF want to hike the Narrows.
Booked a hotel in Springdale as a jump off for Zion on points, a hotel in Kanab for Bryce on points, reserved a car (cheaper than Yellowstone, wohoo!). I need to look into flights, which are more points/money since they are semi last minute. We got our YNP flights for an amazing price (12K roundtrip per person), and it's looking like RT to Vegas will be closer to 30K pp, ouch! Everything else appears to be cheaper, however, so that's good.
I'm so excited for you! Our Zion guide took pictures and videos for us all day:

narrows.jpgnarrows2.jpg

and here we are heading down into the Hoodoos at Bryce:
Hoodos.jpg

maybe try Salt Lake City? Its a couple hours further to drive.

A couple of things:
1. The certificates are good for 1 year from date of issue. I should have thought more about that when I was meeting my spend when this was offered in 2020, because I met it too quickly and would have liked the flexibility of having a few more months to use them. So, think carefully about the timing of when you'd want to use them before completing the spend.
2. Over on the Swolphin thread, they'll recommend you call IN HOUSE reservations at Swolphin, rather than the generic reservations at Marriott, because they don't really know what they are doing (though they'll tell you they can help). Sorry, I don't have that number handy but a search of that thread should find it fairly easily.

I had this for 2 years my problem is I obsess over going somewhere, finding the Hyatt hotel the points/cash price is best, etc. he has a premium service too but I think I would be in the same situation where like right now I want to go to japan badly that will take precedence over any deal.
Exactly right- flexibility is the name of the game. Scott Keyes, founder of Scott's Cheap Flights, has a book, which is super tiny and geared towards newbies looking for a deal. Anyway, his mantra is you can't expect to get cheap flights, specifically for X destination, on this specific week, and during this specific booking window. It just doesn't work that way. The more criteria you have, the less chance of a deal. I think most of us have a running short-list, so there's really no shortage of destinations to visit!

I do also have the premium subscription, which includes the mistake fare I shared the other day. The premium subscription is for biz and first class flights, plus mistake fares. I personally wouldn't recommend this service. I haven't seen the fares that would compel me to book in cash or use Amex points with rebate. So I won't renew the premium subscription, but I really like the standard subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter