I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Tripadvisor forum might have some detailed posts about this. It may be a problem. The application asks questions about like if you've ever been arrested or charged. My understanding is that if you aren't approved, you can send in additional details explaining the situation. I know someone who wasn't approved (caught with a joint), but they didn't go through the steps to have it reconsidered. Same person had no issues with getting approval for TSAPrecheck. If one decides to pursue GE, I think providing as much info as possible about the misdemeanor is advisable.

Thanks for that info, I'll pass it along. That's the same exact situation with this person's past. It really blows my mind that one mistake from 20+ years ago would follow you forever and deny you from GE approval.

I have a relative that works for a non-profit helping people do this sort of thing (expunging criminal records, restoring voting rights) and the rules vary by jurisdiction. From what I understand, most states have certain procedures that are more or less straightforward. But I don't think convictions just automatically drop off your record, unless it was a special kind of conviction, like from juvenile court. Not sure how close your relationship is with your friend but perhaps something to suggest. After 20 years with no further problems, there shouldn't be any trouble getting the conviction expunged.

Interesting! I will pass that along for sure. Definitely something to look into because like you said there have been no further incidents since then.

DH got a mail offer for 150K amex plat. Can I still refer him or will the offer with my link likely be less?
You should generate a link and test it in incognito mode, then make the decision. Also see if you have the 4+ points support offer and factor that in. Maybe check some support links here too to see if the 150k offer pulls.
One more question about the AMEX FHR $200 credit. DW and I just booked a FHR with points. We want to book the same hotel around Christmas time. Can we get the credit and all other FHR benefits if we partially pay with points and then pay $200 on our card? I want to try and get the credit while using as few points as possible.

Try a dummy booking. I didn't know there was an option to partially pay with points, but perhaps there is? Booking it with cash would trigger the $200 credit and would be "using as few points as possible." Please report back if you are successful with a hybrid of points/cash/credit.

Try a dummy booking. I didn't know there was an option to partially pay with points, but perhaps there is? Booking it with cash would trigger the $200 credit and would be "using as few points as possible." Please report back if you are successful with a hybrid of points/cash/credit.
You can apply whatever amount of points you want and then pay the remaining balance. I'm curious if the booking I made yesterday will trigger the credit since AMEX puts a charge on the card when using points and then adds a credit to zero out the charge. The way it would work for the second hotel is AMEX would charge the full amount like normal and then the credit would be $200 less than the charge. My hope is this $200 left over would trigger the credit. I think I'll wait for the first charge and credit to clear and then try the second and see what happens.

I'm on day 7 of helping my parents pack and after seeing all the stuff they've accumulated, I honestly will think twice before buying anything going forward. This is insane.
We recently downsized after being in our house for 22 years, and discovering that we hardly ever purged or gave anything away. We’re now die-hard “buy only if we need it” people after that ordeal. Our new rules: food, drink, and toilet paper. 😂

A question for all the people getting matched to the higher 90k UR offer - did you use a support link for your application? Or are these matches coming to those who applied directly with Chase?

DH and I used each others support links and we both got the upgrade - DH applied 7/26, I applied 8/23.

One more question about the AMEX FHR $200 credit. DW and I just booked a FHR with points. We want to book the same hotel around Christmas time. Can we get the credit and all other FHR benefits if we partially pay with points and then pay $200 on our card? I want to try and get the credit while using as few points as possible.

When I used our FHR credits, I "paid" for all of the hotel but $100 with AmEx points only paying $100 in cash. I still got the credit for the full $200 from AmEx.

You can apply whatever amount of points you want and then pay the remaining balance. I'm curious if the booking I made yesterday will trigger the credit since AMEX puts a charge on the card when using points and then adds a credit to zero out the charge. The way it would work for the second hotel is AMEX would charge the full amount like normal and then the credit would be $200 less than the charge. My hope is this $200 left over would trigger the credit. I think I'll wait for the first charge and credit to clear and then try the second and see what happens.

How interesting! I thought you had to do the $200 in cash. But did a little digging and all points work, it's actually in the FAQ! Link

"Yes, you can receive the $200 Hotel Credit if you use Pay with Points with your eligible U.S. Platinum Card for some or all of your eligible prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection booking if you have not already earned the credit for the year."

How interesting! I thought you had to do the $200 in cash. But did a little digging and all points work, it's actually in the FAQ! Link

"Yes, you can receive the $200 Hotel Credit if you use Pay with Points with your eligible U.S. Platinum Card for some or all of your eligible prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection booking if you have not already earned the credit for the year."
Awesome thanks for the confirmation. I'll wait for the credit to hit and then book the second hotel paying $200 cash to offset the credit.

I see it on all our MR earning cards.

First time tempted to book a cruise to use an offer. Usually I'm just using the offers to pay down already booked ones lol.
I do have a RCCL Cruise booked for May. Will it work to make payments on the cruise. Have on 2 of our cards.

We recently downsized after being in our house for 22 years, and discovering that we hardly ever purged or gave anything away. We’re now die-hard “buy only if we need it” people after that ordeal. Our new rules: food, drink, and toilet paper. 😂
I really need to embrace this. On my way home and it was so stressful.

Awesome thanks for the confirmation. I'll wait for the credit to hit and then book the second hotel paying $200 cash to offset the credit.

I think you don't need to pay $200 cash to offset the credit? Are you trying to use the hotel credit on a second plat?

I've never done this, but my new understanding of how this works is if the hotel is $1000, you pay 100k MR. You'd get a charge or $1000, a statement credit of $1000, AND a statement credit of $200 for the hotel credit. Let me know if that's what you end up seeing. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I can Venmo to meet SUB for US Bank Biz Leverage card? I know I can with Chase but not AMEX. Not sure about US Bank.

I think you don't need to pay $200 cash to offset the credit? Are you trying to use the hotel credit on a second plat?

I've never done this, but my new understanding of how this works is if the hotel is $1000, you pay 100k MR. You'd get a charge or $1000, a statement credit of $1000, AND a statement credit of $200 for the hotel credit. Let me know if that's what you end up seeing. :)
I'm not using the Plat anymore so my balance is less than $200. If I get the credit I'm going to save some MR and pay $200. That way my balance will be what it is now. When the bonus on the Blue Business Cash is increased I'm going to apply for that to get some additional MR and have a fee free card to keep them alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter