I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't mention how long your BA flight was delayed, but if it was long enough and for reasons not excluded, you may be eligible for EU261 compensation of 400-600 euros per person, which covers delays and cancellations for European airlines.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide-eu261-flight-compensation/

Even if you don't qualify for EU261, BA has an area on their website where you can claim reimbursement for flight delays. The link below will take you to both expense reimbursement and EU261 compensation. Let us know what happens!!

Claim reimbursement and compensation from BA
Does it work even though Great Britain isn't part of the EU?

Does it work even though Great Britain isn't part of the EU?
I had the same question! This site says yes. "EU Regulation 261 applies to all UK or EU regulated flights. This means it covers all flights departing from a UK or EU airport regardless of the airline you are travelling on." But I'm no expert, for sure, but it's worth a shot. And important to remember EU 261 and expense reimbursement are separate, so she should try for those from BA, but has the CSP as backup. @Narnia_girl I would make sure to understand the timely filing of for CSP so that you don't wait too long. Hopefully your BA claims will be processed quickly.

I just got my AmEx plat a few weeks ago and have been trying to figure out how to use my $200 hotel credit for this calendar year. I looked at one-night stays in Orlando (I'm local) and I'd still be a lot out of pocket and I didn't want to burn the extra money just to use a credit. Then I remembered we still needed one more night in Panama City for our Jan/Feb '23 trip. So I just pre-paid a night at the Waldorf there totaling $197.17. Perfection!

No inks in the last 24 months. The wording pretty much said if you’re eligible and have not received a bonus in 24 months. Not sure if it really matters though.
I got the CIC in Jan 2021 and CIU in April 2021 and received the SUB for both. Am I excluded from a SUB on those cards for 24 months?

I had the same question! This site says yes. "EU Regulation 261 applies to all UK or EU regulated flights. This means it covers all flights departing from a UK or EU airport regardless of the airline you are travelling on." But I'm no expert, for sure, but it's worth a shot. And important to remember EU 261 and expense reimbursement are separate, so she should try for those from BA, but has the CSP as backup. @Narnia_girl I would make sure to understand the timely filing of for CSP so that you don't wait too long. Hopefully your BA claims will be processed quickly.

Note: Pedant Alert :o Actually, the UK enacted a new law last year that mirrored the benefits of EU261, and creatively called it UK261. This ensures flights from the Uk and/or involving UK airlines offer the same protection even when the flights do not touch the European Union.

So a flight from UK to US that is delayed by more than 3 hours would possibly be entitled to compensation under UK261, but not EU261. It may seem like splitting hairs, but no point giving the airline an excuse to deny your claim by quoting the wrong law.

{sorry, a little long with a question...}

We just returned from our first European vacation. I gleaned so much information from this board about booking and points. It was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back!

Our only hiccup occurred when we returned to the U.S. I had made reservations from London to Philly on British Airways, then a flight from Philly to St. Louis on Southwest 2 hours 45 minutes later. First the BA flight was late and then they lost our luggage. After searching and searching they had us (and several other people) fill out forms and gave us a letter explaining what would happen when they found the luggage.

We then made the very long walk to the Southwest counter hoping to get the next flight to St. Louis. (Side note--bad airport design in Philly. We had to walk outside for approx. 7-9 minutes. Someone mentioned we should get an employee shuttle if we found one.)

When we finally get to Southwest they are closed for the evening but an employee was sitting near by waiting for her ride home. God bless that angel woman. She logged back into the system and told us there were no more flights that night but she would get us on the first non-stop the next day. She then checked us in and printed boarding passes for us at no additional cost.

So we had to get a hotel with a shuttle for the night. At this point we are jet-lagged, exhausted, hungry and on London time (1 a.m.) My husband booked a nearby Hilton. That's when I remembered we had AirTags in the bag. We looked it up and it showed that it was in Philly. A minute later BA called and said they found it and could we come back for it. My husband is a runner so I stayed put while he ran that long route back to the other terminal. There were 6-7 other passengers also returning to the area to pick up their found bags. Despite having called him to come back, no one was at the BA counter so he had to get someone from Qatar to go find a worker. When they showed up, he mentioned the expenses we just incurred due to the baggage loss and that BA needed to pay for it. That worker said we must have just missed our bag on the turnstile. He pointed out the unlikely odds of a half dozen passengers all missing their bags and then them suddenly being visible two hours later. So that worker gave him a BA business card of a person to contact with our complaint.

We would like BA to cover the cost of our hotel, dinner and one extra day at the parking garage in St. Louis. This totals about $245. Any advice on how to approach this with BA?

I paid for the BA flight with CSP so I made sure all the additional expenses incurred were also put on that card, so if BA balks I may file with Chase.

Despite this hiccup at the end, I would go back in a heartbeat. I'm already planning our next adventure. :)
As long as your delay was over 3 hours you may have a shot at delay money. As far as baggage delay goes 261 doesn't cover that, if the airline won't play ball you may need to dig into the Montreal Convention which may or may not help. Fwiw I had an incident a looong while back where an airline just tried to ignore me but after filing with Chase I got a call from the airline's Corporate team within like a few days and a check was in the mail so if you don't hear back in a timely manner/don't like the response don't hesitate to go ahead and file with Chase. If BA settles Chase's insurance processor will simply deny your claim.

Last edited:
I have a few good new to me Amex offers:
Best Buy $25 off $250
Macy's $10 off $60
Kroger.com $20 off $40 3x

Thanks for posting these. I was on the site last night and these weren't there but now they are! I probably wouldn't have looked again today.

I also had a Petsmart (spend $50 get $10). Also lots of percentage spends - get X% back on purchases, up to a total of $XX.

Thanks for posting these. I was on the site last night and these weren't there but now they are! I probably wouldn't have looked again today.

I also had a Petsmart (spend $50 get $10). Also lots of percentage spends - get X% back on purchases, up to a total of $XX.
I had to add 50+ offers to get under 100. I hate the way Amex does offers.

Anyone have experience trying to use Iberia airlines award travel?

I have been searching flights (pay with Avios option) but I cannot get past the outbound flight selection. It does not have a point cost or continue button. Is it because I do not have points transferred yet? trying to figure out availability and cost for travel next summer.

(Edited) Lounge access with Platinum Amex questions:

1. You have to fly delta to access the delta sky club no matter what card you carry?
2. Other than Priority Pass lounges (same as with CSR) are there any other lounge benefits with the Platinum? I was under the impression it was different than just Priority Pass.

(Edited) Lounge access with Platinum Amex questions:

1. You have to fly delta to access the delta sky club no matter what card you carry?
2. Other than Priority Pass lounges (same as with CSR) are there any other lounge benefits with the Platinum? I was under the impression it was different than just Priority Pass
1. you need to be flying delta, have to amex plat or delta reserve.
2. they have amex lounges also.

I don't know how long it normally takes for the $300 Venture X travel credit to post after making a travel purchase, but my purchase was made on October 13, and it credited on October 31 (which was honestly better than I expected).

Now, if they'll just give me the 12% back on my Best Western purchase, that would be cool!

And we decided to do a TSA precheck appointment for my husband instead of waiting for GE- maybe he will get it approved before we fly domestically at the end of this month. We can look at GE for him on the next card that has such a credit, perhaps.

Credit question: My oldest card (20+ years) is a basic capital one card (no rewards). It's been sock drawered forever and I got a notice that they are going to close it in Jan if I don't put spend it on it. Should I put small spend on it to keep it active, let it close, or call to see if I can PC to something with rewards?

Anyone have experience trying to use Iberia airlines award travel?

I have been searching flights (pay with Avios option) but I cannot get past the outbound flight selection. It does not have a point cost or continue button. Is it because I do not have points transferred yet? trying to figure out availability and cost for travel next summer.
I booked British Airways through Iberia using Avios this summer but only a one-way trip. I did search before I transferred Avios so I know it's possible. I also just did a dummy search for a fake trip and was able to see Avios amounts even though I don't have many points stored there. Have you created an Iberia account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter