I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DP - Amex Plat retention offer was 55k MR for $4k spend in 90 days or $550 credit for $4k spend in 90 days. I had received a $595 credit retention offer with no spend in 2020. I took the MR. Done via chat, painless.
Nice!
I asked for a retention offer on DH’s Marriott and nothing.

I booked a flight in July for DD to use her travel credit of $180 that expires in September. Hoping for flight times to change enough that I can get a refund on that since she’s now my CP person.
The flight I booked for my daughter was modified, but not by very much. It departs 10 minutes earlier, layover is in a different city, and arrival is 5 minutes different. Will this work for me to get her travel funds refunded to original form of payment? Or does the change have to be more significant than this?

Nice!
I asked for a retention offer on DH’s Marriott and nothing.
Same. Nothing on my Marriott
The flight I booked for my daughter was modified, but not by very much. It departs 10 minutes earlier, layover is in a different city, and arrival is 5 minutes different. Will this work for me to get her travel funds refunded to original form of payment? Or does the change have to be more significant than this?
Maybe. But I asked SW Twitter and was given a hard time for a 35 minute change. I pushed back a bit and was given a refund. Im not sure 5-10 minutes will do anything but maybe the change in layover. You’d have to make a case for it though.

General rule is over 2 hours in change. This is minor and something most wouldn't bat an eye at. A layover in a dif city won't mean anything either since it's not a drastic time in change.

Same. Nothing on my Marriott

Maybe. But I asked SW Twitter and was given a hard time for a 35 minute change. I pushed back a bit and was given a refund. Im not sure 5-10 minutes will do anything but maybe the change in layover. You’d have to make a case for it though.

General rule is over 2 hours in change. This is minor and something most wouldn't bat an eye at. A layover in a dif city won't mean anything either since it's not a drastic time in change.
Thanks, both of you. It make sense. I’m just trying to get around losing my DD’s travel funds and this was my last ditch effort. If I lose it, it won’t be the end of the world. Maybe they’ll change it again.

Last edited:

checking to see if anyone has insight on this?
It shouldn’t. But there’s always the slim chance of an IT screwup so if that happening would wreck your cc plans don’t do it.

I’m afraid our collective Cap1 knowledge/experience here is on the slim side compared to other issuers. Cap1 is not churner friendly plus they haven’t really had much in the way of hot offer cards (only seem to get a hot card out of them every few years).

Hi everyone! My DH and I are looking to go to California for our 25 anniversary. I have a CPR and CSP card already with a small amount of UR left on them. (These and a discover card are all I have). I have had them for about 3 years. I have a small business also. We also live in a delta hub (Detroit) I am looking to start hacking to help pay for our trip. Not sure what card to apply for. I seen Chase has a business card with a high bonus but it would require a 15000 spend in 3 months, so that’s a no go. Any advice?

Hi everyone! My DH and I are looking to go to California for our 25 anniversary. I have a CPR and CSP card already with a small amount of UR left on them. (These and a discover card are all I have). I have had them for about 3 years. I have a small business also. We also live in a delta hub (Detroit) I am looking to start hacking to help pay for our trip. Not sure what card to apply for. I seen Chase has a business card with a high bonus but it would require a 15000 spend in 3 months, so that’s a no go. Any advice

Sticking with the Chase business cards, the CIU or CIC (CIC is one of my personal favorite cards for the 5x at office supply stores, which is easy to take advantage of by buying gift cards there) has a $7500 MSR and 75k SUB. So almost as good of a SUB as the CIP with half the spend.

Hi everyone! My DH and I are looking to go to California for our 25 anniversary. I have a CPR and CSP card already with a small amount of UR left on them. (These and a discover card are all I have). I have had them for about 3 years. I have a small business also. We also live in a delta hub (Detroit) I am looking to start hacking to help pay for our trip. Not sure what card to apply for. I seen Chase has a business card with a high bonus but it would require a 15000 spend in 3 months, so that’s a no go. Any advice?
Welcome!
You can apply for the other Chase Ink business cards, the Cash or Unlimited only require $7,500 MSR and you earn 75,000 URs.
With Chase it is best to apply as sole proprietorship, use first name last name as the business name. Each of you could apply for one. Once you have one chase biz card you can use the support link and earn another 20k URs.

I have a dilemma that I am hoping some of you can offer some help with. Headed to London, Edinburgh and Dublin in less than 2 weeks (YAY!!!) with dd for her 20th birthday trip. I booked the Biltmore LXR in London on Hilton points and am super excited to stay here! For Edinburgh I booked the Sheraton Grand and used 6 suite night upgrades, hoping for a nice suite (kind of stupid since the stay is so long and it's over a Saturday night). Unfortunately all the suites have been booked and recent TA reviews indicate the hotel is showing its age. Plus I have no idea when I'll be able to use the SNUs this year if I don't use them this trip. Soooo I checked yesterday and the Glasshouse (Marriott) has rooms available at a decent price and they have a few suites that are still open for my dates. They don't have a lounge, which I doubt I'd use much, but other than that it looks good. Would you move your reservation? I can't tell if the hotel is nicer or if the location is better or worse than the Sheraton. Suggestions? Tagging our resident Edinburgh expert @calypso726! Location is important to me as I prefer to walk or take transit most places when I'm traveling.

Just a quick update. I happened to walk by the Sheraton today and just wanted to make you aware that the Van Gogh Alive exhibit is set up right in front of the hotel. The entire courtyard area in front of the hotel on the Lothian Road is filled with tents for the exhibit. Not sure if that makes a difference to you. It didn't seem particularly crowded, but it could affect ease of access to the hotel and obscures the front entrance. I know the exhibit runs through at least mid-May since DD and I are seeing it on May 14.

We are flying back home today on Hawaiian. I messed up my calculations and will have $$$ left in my Amex airline credit for Hawaiian. (Was planning on using it for luggage but DD and I somehow ended up with 2 free bags) I’m assuming if I blow all that credit at the snack cart it will credit? Thinking about loading up on macadamia nut popcorn and Hawaiian snack samplers.

Cayman Islands 2022 Trip Report

Travel party of 14!! Myself and husband, 44, our younger kids, 8 and 12, known as “the lils,” our older kids, 24 and 21 and thier bf/gf, my mom, and my sister's family, similar in makeup to ours.

Travel mood: Willing to combine a points stash with lots of cash to have quality food and entertainment experiences.

Transportation

Flew out of Chicago's Midway on Southwest. Booked when schedules opened for 30k RT each (one stop) and two companion passes. The mask mandate was struck down the day before our return flight, meaning our U.S. airport experience and flights were mask optional. I would say probably 90% of travelers were mask free.

Lodging

I really sort of don't even want to share this trip report because we love the resort so much and it sort of flies under the radar (likely because there are significant costs associated with a points stay). This is our third visit to the Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa in Grand Cayman and it has yet to disappoint. What we love about it:
  • Amazing ocean views of crystal blue water on Seven Mile Beach with huge balconies
  • Luxury service, but with a relaxed attitude
  • Boutique resort size with lots of nooks for lounging and playing
  • Great amenities included in the resort fee
  • Always room at the pool or beach without playing silly towel games
  • Quality food and a legendary Sunday Brunch (common in the Cayman Islands)
We booked standard rooms, 2 queen oceanview rooms, available on points, at 70k IHG points/nt, but if you have an IHG credit card, you receive the fourth night free, bringing the points down to 52.5k/nt. Unlike many resorts in Europe and other places, the standard room sleeps four and is ocean view. With our platinum IHG status through the IHG premier card, we received an upgrade on nights 2-4 to a King One Bedroom Ocean View Suite (though this took a bit of back and forth to make happen, so I wouldn’t go in expecting an upgrade, AT ALL). Our suite had two balconies and a wet bar with two fridge drawers, so it was super helpful as a gathering place for our group of 14.

The cash rate for the standard room was ~$6500 for four nights, including taxes and fees. Our group had four rooms and most are not travel hackers. Travel hack: You can buy points during a 100% points bonus promotion (run several times annually) for $1050, combined with the fourth night free cc benefit. Tack on the $80/nt resort fee and your all in lodging cost for 5 days = $1370

The resort fee is a whopping $80/nt and I don’t mind it one bit, honestly. Here’s what it includes:
  • Morning coffee and tea in the lobby for 3 hours (in the past this included iced coffees with a variety of syrups, etc, but has been slimmed down due to COVID)
  • afternoon social hour (now grab n go hard seltzer due to COVID, but previously glasses of wine)
  • sunscreen and aloe stations, and bottled water
  • water rentals: ocean rafts, snorkeling gear, go-pro cameras, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, water tricycle, small sailboat, fitness classes and gym, other resort activities

IMG_9064.JPEGIMG_9256.JPEG
IMG_9261.JPEGIMG-4592.JPGIMG_9079.JPEG
Entertainment
Most of our days were spent at the pool or beach. We booked Cayman Island’s largest catamaran, Catch the Cat, arranged through the resort concierge. We chartered the cat for half a day (4 hours) and snorkeled, went to Stingray City, Starfish point and used the onboard jet ski. We don’t have a ton of experience with boats and while we’ve done private boat tours, we’ve never chartered a boat before. We LOVED this experience. The size of the catamaran was ideal for our group and we loved the freedom to comfortably walk about the cat while in motion, lounging on the trampoline nets and customizing our day and time at each stop.

Stingray City is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean which apparently used to be where fisherman would come to clean their catch in calm waters. This became a gathering place for stingrays as an easy source of food. It has now become a tourist destination where the stingray have become very accustomed to swimming and interacting with humans. You can stand in water about 4-5 feet and the HUGE stingray (up to 5 feet) come and swim alongside you. Your guide will help you kiss a stingray for seven years of luck and pose with one, if you desire. I personally prefer a more observational approach and I really enjoy just standing in the water as these huge, majestic creatures allow you into their playground.

Weather was 84 (RealFeel 90-92) and sunny every day.

IMG-6028 (2).JPG

IMG-0002.JPGIMG_9073.JPEG
Food
If you are familiar with the Kimpton brand, you know they have exquisite food offerings. Every dish we had was delightful, from poolside service to their beachfront restaurant, to the luxury Easter Brunch. We spent nearly 3 hours at Easter Brunch, which can include their hand-crafted cocktails, if desired. While not inexpensive ($122-156 w/ or w/o alcohol + gratuity), it includes carving stations, fresh seafood, crab legs, oysters, sushi, salads, Mediterranean cuisine and typical breakfast offerings. Sunday Brunch is offered every week, at perhaps a more palatable pricepoint of $84-96 USD.

*While Kimpton’s are part of the IHG family, you won’t earn loyalty points on food and beverage spend, even if charged to your room.
IMG_9251.JPEGIMG_9284.JPEG

Key Takeaways
It seems few vacations are actually relaxing these days. This one IS, Every. Single. Time. The Kimpton resort is a real contender with Ritz Carlton service and is actually attainable on points. You’ll need to prepare to bring plenty of cash if you want to enjoy the foodie experience of the Kimpton. Stingray City/Starfish point tours can be booked with points through portals like Chase Travel.

We really, really enjoy traveling in large groups (usually 7-16) and I sort of feel like it’s my niche, putting together travel for our large family. We love being able to treat our family to experiences they otherwise wouldn’t pay for themselves and help them travel hack to get to some amazing destinations. This is a trip we will definitely repeat, not so much because we love the Cayman Islands themselves, but because this resort fits us so perfectly. The Kimpton Seafire was the ideal multi-generational resort for us, for it’s boutique size, service-level and foodie options.

Detailed Pricing
I always struggle trying to convey this because we are a big family, so I've tried to break it down into either individual costs or costs per night to be more helpful to try to apply it to your group size. For some things, that's just not possible.
Lodging
Kimpton Seafire IHG 4 nts, per room (52.5k/nt)210,000IHG points$ 320
Transportation
Flights- Southwest (4)
30,000​
RRs/pp/round-trip$ 96
Flights- Companion pass tickets (2)
0​
RRs/pp/round-trip$ 96
Chicago Midway Airport Economy Parking$ 75
Majestic Tours Airport Transport (total for 14 pax)$ 270
Entertainment
Catch the Cat half day catamaran w/jet ski$ 2,000
Easter Brunch at Kimpton Seafire pp (14)$ 181
Miscellaneous
Insure my trip policy$ 90
eMed Covid tests (4)$ 117
Totals540,000IHG/RR points$ 5,841

Last edited:
Just a quick update. I happened to walk by the Sheraton today and just wanted to make you aware that the Van Gogh Alive exhibit is set up right in front of the hotel. The entire courtyard area in front of the hotel on the Lothian Road is filled with tents for the exhibit. Not sure if that makes a difference to you. It didn't seem particularly crowded, but it could affect ease of access to the hotel and obscures the front entrance. I know the exhibit runs through at least mid-May since DD and I are seeing it on May 14.
Thank you for the update. I cancelled the reservation at the Sheraton and booked the Glasshouse for a good rate. The highest suite I could apply my SNUs to is an 820 sq foot room with a terrace overlooking Old Town, however I won't know if this clears until 24-48 hours before our arrival. Since I really want to stay in Old Town, if the SNU doesn't clear I have booked the Market Street Hotel as a backup. We have 2 days where we have to be up early (Jacobite Steam Train and Alnwick Castle days), so being as close to the departure point as possible is important to me.

Cayman Islands 2022 Trip Report

Travel party of 14!! Myself and husband, 44, our younger kids, 8 and 12, known as “the lils,” our older kids, 24 and 21 and thier bf/gf, my mom, and my sister's family, similar in makeup to ours.

Travel mood: Willing to combine a points stash with lots of cash to have quality food and entertainment experiences.

Transportation

Flew out of Chicago's Midway on Southwest. Booked when schedules opened for 30k RT each (one stop) and two companion passes. The mask mandate was struck down the day before our return flight, meaning our U.S. airport experience and flights were mask optional. I would say probably 90% of travelers were mask free.

Lodging

I really sort of don't even want to share this trip report because we love the resort so much and it sort of flies under the radar (likely because there are significant costs associated with a points stay). This is our third visit to the Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa in Grand Cayman and it has yet to disappoint. What we love about it:
  • Amazing ocean views of crystal blue water on Seven Mile Beach with huge balconies
  • Luxury service, but with a relaxed attitude
  • Boutique resort size with lots of nooks for lounging and playing
  • Great amenities included in the resort fee
  • Always room at the pool or beach without playing silly towel games
  • Quality food and a legendary Sunday Brunch (common in the Cayman Islands)
We booked standard rooms, 2 queen oceanview rooms, available on points, at 70k IHG points/nt, but if you have an IHG credit card, you receive the fourth night free, bringing the points down to 52.5k/nt. Unlike many resorts in Europe and other places, the standard room sleeps four and is ocean view. With our platinum IHG status through the IHG premier card, we received an upgrade on nights 2-4 to a King One Bedroom Ocean View Suite (though this took a bit of back and forth to make happen, so I wouldn’t go in expecting an upgrade, AT ALL). Our suite had two balconies and a wet bar with two fridge drawers, so it was super helpful as a gathering place for our group of 14.

The cash rate for the standard room was ~$6500 for four nights, including taxes and fees. Our group had four rooms and most are not travel hackers. Travel hack: You can buy points during a 100% points bonus promotion (run several times annually) for $1050, combined with the fourth night free cc benefit. Tack on the $80/nt resort fee and your all in lodging cost for 5 days = $1370

The resort fee is a whopping $80/nt and I don’t mind it one bit, honestly. Here’s what it includes:
  • Morning coffee and tea in the lobby for 3 hours (in the past this included iced coffees with a variety of syrups, etc, but has been slimmed down due to COVID)
  • afternoon social hour (now grab n go hard seltzer due to COVID, but previously glasses of wine)
  • sunscreen and aloe stations, and bottled water
  • water rentals: ocean rafts, snorkeling gear, go-pro cameras, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, water tricycle, small sailboat, fitness classes and gym, other resort activities

View attachment 664193View attachment 664194
View attachment 664195View attachment 664197View attachment 664196
Entertainment
Most of our days were spent at the pool or beach. We booked Cayman Island’s largest catamaran, Catch the Cat, arranged through the resort concierge. We chartered the cat for half a day (4 hours) and snorkeled, went to Stingray City, Starfish point and used the onboard jet ski. We don’t have a ton of experience with boats and while we’ve done private boat tours, we’ve never chartered a boat before. We LOVED this experience. The size of the catamaran was ideal for our group and we loved the freedom to comfortably walk about the cat while in motion, lounging on the trampoline nets and customizing our day and time at each stop.

Stingray City is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean which apparently used to be where fisherman would come to clean their catch in calm waters. This became a gathering place for stingrays as an easy source of food. It has now become a tourist destination where the stingray have become very accustomed to swimming and interacting with humans. You can stand in water about 4-5 feet and the HUGE stingray (up to 5 feet) come and swim alongside you. Your guide will help you kiss a stingray for seven years of luck and pose with one, if you desire. I personally prefer a more observational approach and I really enjoy just standing in the water as these huge, majestic creatures allow you into their playground.

Weather was 84 (RealFeel 90-92) and sunny every day.

View attachment 664198

View attachment 664199View attachment 664200
Food
If you are familiar with the Kimpton brand, you know they have exquisite food offerings. Every dish we had was delightful, from poolside service to their beachfront restaurant, to the luxury Easter Brunch. We spent nearly 3 hours at Easter Brunch, which can include their hand-crafted cocktails, if desired. While not inexpensive ($122-156 w/ or w/o alcohol + gratuity), it includes carving stations, fresh seafood, crab legs, oysters, sushi, salads, Mediterranean cuisine and typical breakfast offerings. Sunday Brunch is offered every week, at perhaps a more palatable pricepoint of $84-96 USD.

*While Kimpton’s are part of the IHG family, you won’t earn loyalty points on food and beverage spend, even if charged to your room.
View attachment 664190View attachment 664191

Key Takeaways
It seems few vacations are actually relaxing these days. This one IS, Every. Single. Time. The Kimpton resort is a real contender with Ritz Carlton service and is actually attainable on points. You’ll need to prepare to bring plenty of cash if you want to enjoy the foodie experience of the Kimpton. Stingray City/Starfish point tours can be booked with points through portals like Chase Travel.

We really, really enjoy traveling in large groups (usually 7-16) and I sort of feel like it’s my niche, putting together travel for our large family. We love being able to treat our family to experiences they otherwise wouldn’t pay for themselves and help them travel hack to get to some amazing destinations. This is a trip we will definitely repeat, not so much because we love the Cayman Islands themselves, but because this resort fits us so perfectly. The Kimpton Seafire was the ideal multi-generational resort for us, for it’s boutique size, service-level and foodie options.

Detailed Pricing
I always struggle trying to convey this because we are a big family, so I've tried to break it down into either individual costs or costs per night to be more helpful to try to apply it to your group size. For some things, that's just not possible.
Lodging
Transportation
Flights- Southwest (4)
30,000​
RRs/pp/round-trip$ 96
Flights- Companion pass tickets (2)
0​
RRs/pp/round-trip$ 96
Chicago Midway Airport Economy Parking$ 75
Majestic Tours Airport Transport (total for 14 pax)$ 270
Entertainment
Catch the Cat half day catamaran w/jet ski$ 2,000
Easter Brunch at Kimpton Seafire pp (14)$ 181
Miscellaneous
Insure my trip policy$ 90
eMed Covid tests (4)$ 117
Totals540,000IHG/RR points$ 5,841
What a great trip report! Thanks so much for the breakdown, we aren't 14 (just 6!) but its so helpful to see the order of magnitude of what points/currencies we might need for trips like this.

Anyone familiar with DFW? Our AA flight was changed and we have a 55 min. layover. Will that be enough to get us from one flight to the next? There are other direct flights to SLC in case we miss the first one but there is also a flight that leaves an hour earlier from Miami but we would have to be at the airport at 5:45am.

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on booking airfare to England using ultimate reward points.
Our daughter will spend the fall semester in London so she needs a one way flight to Heathrow. My husband and I will try to visit so we need roundtrip flights. Our home airport is St. Louis, although we can drive 5 hours to Chicago if necessary.
Husband's Chase Sapphire Preferred has 34,600 URs
My Chase Sapphire Preferred has 115,200 URs
Is there any particular airline you like for flights to London?
Is it better to book through the Chase portal or transfer the points elsewhere? (I've only used the Chase portal to transfer points to Southwest and book a couple of hotels.) We are considering October. Any advice on this trip is appreciated--we are new to European travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter