I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's better now, but some places will be cash only. I'll bring my Schwab debit for no ATM fees. Plus some USD to exchange in case I have problems with the ATMs.
the way I see it is Amex for 4x, then CSR, then the metro pass, then cash in that order. But I have been overthinking this trip since 2019. Also If I book Disney hotels i don't get Hyatt nights, 2 nights could mean less spending too I don't get how this Hyatt station hotel works for rewards either but I'm going to watch youtube videos once I'm done working to pick one I guess, are the Disney hotels in Tokyo expensive because that could be a deterrent, also I can use a suite night for up to a 7 night in Tokyo so I'm thinking about that also. For PH I really only want to get in a few places and experience that bar tbh. Also to Kyoto and back looks like it will be the cost of the rail pass. I don't know too many decisions part of me wishes that I saved the points for PH but at the same time I have plenty of other trips to enjoy, PH Tokyo doesn't seem central at all as well. but it is what it is. I'll earn and burn again. Getting 10 nights will be good for my globalist also.

the way I see it is Amex for 4x, then CSR, then the metro pass, then cash in that order. But I have been overthinking this trip since 2019. Also If I book Disney hotels i don't get Hyatt nights, 2 nights could mean less spending too I don't get how this Hyatt station hotel works for rewards either but I'm going to watch youtube videos once I'm done working to pick one I guess, are the Disney hotels in Tokyo expensive because that could be a deterrent, also I can use a suite night for up to a 7 night in Tokyo so I'm thinking about that also. For PH I really only want to get in a few places and experience that bar tbh. Also to Kyoto and back looks like it will be the cost of the rail pass. I don't know too many decisions part of me wishes that I saved the points for PH but at the same time I have plenty of other trips to enjoy, PH Tokyo doesn't seem central at all as well. but it is what it is. I'll earn and burn again. Getting 10 nights will be good for my globalist also.

For the Tokyo Station Hotel, if you do points, you'd get the stay credit. If you do cash and book through Hyatt, you'd get Hyatt points, but I think the SLHs tend to be more expensive through Hyatt than direct.

I seriously considered the Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay. Had a suite booked and everything (good deal on points). But it's not that close to the parks and we'd have to take a shuttle, so I ended up canceling it. Same location problem with HR Osaka. It's too bad, I would have liked the nights toward Globalist too. At least we'll be getting 4 nights from the Andaz Tokyo.

Hi. Frequent Edinburgh visitor here and have also visited other parts of Scotland. Since it sounds like your trip will be fairly short, you probably need to decide whether you want to cover a lot of ground without staying long in each place, or just go to one or two places and cover those more thoroughly. Edinburgh is a fantastic city, and you could easily stay there for a week without running out of things to do. There are also lots of day trips you can do from Edinburgh either on your own taking the train, or with an organized tour. We have done several tours with Rabbie's, and they have all been very good. They even have a (long) day trip from Edinburgh to the Highlands if that is on your list. Or you could spend three or four nights in Edinburgh and several nights in Inverness to be able to spend more time in the Highlands. In terms of where to stay in Edinburgh, for a first-time visitor, I always think it is fun to be on the Royal Mile, but if you have certain hotels in mind, I can try to give feedback. Not sue when your spring break is, but DH and I are headed to our flat in Edinburgh on March 13, so we might be there at the same time :)
Thank you! I have some research to do. DS turns 16 on 3/13 during his Spring Break so we’ll be there 3/11-3/18 or 3/19.

I am excited to start planning.

For the Tokyo Station Hotel, if you do points, you'd get the stay credit. If you do cash and book through Hyatt, you'd get Hyatt points, but I think the SLHs tend to be more expensive through Hyatt than direct.

I seriously considered the Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay. Had a suite booked and everything (good deal on points). But it's not that close to the parks and we'd have to take a shuttle, so I ended up canceling it. Same location problem with HR Osaka. It's too bad, I would have liked the nights toward Globalist too. At least we'll be getting 4 nights from the Andaz Tokyo.
problem with andaz from what i remember is it hard to get a suite i take it you secured that? i might just split it up andaz ph and tokyo station i dunno. Too bad i just burned my snas ill have to wait until after thanksgiving and hope they arent taken.

problem with andaz from what i remember is it hard to get a suite i take it you secured that? i might just split it up andaz ph and tokyo station i dunno. Too bad i just burned my snas ill have to wait until after thanksgiving and hope they arent taken.

You can't use SNAs at the Andaz Tokyo, it's specifically excluded. Probably because they don't have any standard suites. SLH are excluded too. So that might narrow down your choices.

We're fine with the standard room. I'm just glad it fits 2 adults and 2 kids.

You can ask now. The earlier you get a retention offer, the better chance for getting another next year since usually it needs to be at least 13 months apart.
Thank you for the information.
Let us know what they say when you hear back.

Is there anything specific you should say when you ask? Do you make the request through their live chat?
I used chat today to check but there were no offers for me unfortunately. I have time to keep checking for an offer but I would like to know now. I am ready to get a new card/SUB and I do not want to end up that the 2 MSR's combined will be to high.

You can't use SNAs at the Andaz Tokyo, it's specifically excluded. Probably because they don't have any standard suites. SLH are excluded too. So that might narrow down your choices.

We're fine with the standard room. I'm just glad it fits 2 adults and 2 kids.
yeah, right now I'm thinking of going to Andaz,
go to Hyatt place in Kyoto for 2-3 nights then finishing in ph with the suite.
it doesn't seem too bad to go from hotel to Disney though.
Also according to FT most SLH hotels have availability at 10 months (for points).

Thank you! I have some research to do. DS turns 16 on 3/13 during his Spring Break so we’ll be there 3/11-3/18 or 3/19.

I've flown BA, KLM and Delta to EDI (surprising no one, Delta is my favorite...BA even in F is ...meh and LHR is a headache). From IAD there is a 1 stop on United and many (but not all) of the flights have the nice Polaris seats and I'm sure if you were okay positioning to New York or Boston 3 J seats would be easy-ish to find with KLM/AF (with possibly a transfer).

Another option is to fly directly to LHR and then take a train to Waverly Station (main train station in Edinburgh, and right next to the Balmoral Hotel) but you'd obviously lose some vacation time with that unless you did the sleeper.

I'm a fan of the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa but that's because I go to their spa and chill. The Balmoral looks wonderful (and is an FHR), the Waldorf Astoria is also an FHR and looks nice and I'm sure there are others. Finding rooms for 3 in the UK can be tricky and/or expensive though.

I second Rabbies-I've been on several tours with them and only one was disappointing. Edinburgh proper might have enough to keep a 16 year old occupied but venturing farther afield might be a good idea. Y'all can also take the train to Glasgow and check it out.

I'm headed there (again) next month and am so excited to return to my happy place-enjoy planning!

Last edited:
Hi. Frequent Edinburgh visitor here and have also visited other parts of Scotland. Since it sounds like your trip will be fairly short, you probably need to decide whether you want to cover a lot of ground without staying long in each place, or just go to one or two places and cover those more thoroughly. Edinburgh is a fantastic city, and you could easily stay there for a week without running out of things to do. There are also lots of day trips you can do from Edinburgh either on your own taking the train, or with an organized tour. We have done several tours with Rabbie's, and they have all been very good. They even have a (long) day trip from Edinburgh to the Highlands if that is on your list. Or you could spend three or four nights in Edinburgh and several nights in Inverness to be able to spend more time in the Highlands. In terms of where to stay in Edinburgh, for a first-time visitor, I always think it is fun to be on the Royal Mile, but if you have certain hotels in mind, I can try to give feedback. Not sue when your spring break is, but DH and I are headed to our flat in Edinburgh on March 13, so we might be there at the same time :)
Mind if I ask about Scotland too? That was our original plan for our 10 year anniversary (we're now going on year 14 🤦‍♀️). What are your favorite times to visit? I'd like to go when it's not freezing cold so we could hike in the Highlands, but other than that I'm not picky. Both of us are into history, nature, folklore, and whisky! Not so much shopping and super touristy stuff. I started planning again for mid 2023 but I'm having sticker shock compared to when I was planning 3-4 years ago.

I am unclear on the CSP $50 hotel travel credit. Let's say I book a hotel night through UR completely on points since they are worth 25% more. Would I still get the $50 hotel credit or would I have to split the payment using points up to where I have to charge $50 on my CSP to receive the credit?

Mind if I ask about Scotland too? That was our original plan for our 10 year anniversary (we're now going on year 14 🤦‍♀️). What are your favorite times to visit? I'd like to go when it's not freezing cold so we could hike in the Highlands, but other than that I'm not picky. Both of us are into history, nature, folklore, and whisky! Not so much shopping and super touristy stuff. I started planning again for mid 2023 but I'm having sticker shock compared to when I was planning 3-4 years ago.

Not the OP you were asking but I can say that Dec, Jan and even March are cold (it snowed in March when we were there for spring break), cool to this Floridian in June and beautiful but still chilly (DD has on sweaters/hoodies and I have a jacket on in photos) in July/August. If your blood is thin and you plan on being outside, summer is definitely the time to go. That said, December is magical in Edinburgh and likely the next time DH comes along, that's when we'll go (well, after my next trip lol).

I've flown BA, KLM and Delta to EDI (surprising no one, Delta is my favorite...BA even in F is ...meh and LHR is a headache). From IAD there is a 1 stop on United and many (but not all) of the flights have the nice Polaris seats and I'm sure if you were okay positioning to New York or Boston 3 J seats would be easy-ish to find with KLM/AF (with possibly a transfer).

Another option is to fly directly to LHR and then take a train to Waverly Station (main train station in Edinburgh, and right next to the Balmoral Hotel) but you'd obviously lose some vacation time with that unless you did the sleeper.

I'm a fan of the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa but that's because I go to their spa and chill. The Balmoral looks wonderful (and is an FHR), the Waldorf Astoria is also an FHR and looks nice and I'm sure there are others. Finding rooms for 3 in the UK can be tricky and/or expensive though.

I second Rabbies-I've been on several tours with them and only one was disappointing. Edinburgh proper might have enough to keep a 16 year old occupied but venturing farther afield might be a good idea. Y'all can also take the train to Glasgow and check it out.

I'm headed there (again) next month and am so excited to return to my happy place-enjoy planning!

Not the OP you were asking but I can say that Dec, Jan and even March are cold (it snowed in March when we were there for spring break), cool to this Floridian in June and beautiful but still chilly (DD has on sweaters/hoodies and I have a jacket on in photos) in July/August. If your blood is thin and you plan on being outside, summer is definitely the time to go. That said, December is magical in Edinburgh and likely the next time DH comes along, that's when we'll go (well, after my next trip lol).
In terms of travel to and from, we live in Boise, ID, so we always need to reposition. Our most frequent routes are a seasonal route on United from BOI thru ORD to EDI and BA through LHR to EDI. The United route seems to be a summer seasonal flight. Lately, we've been taking BA almost exclusively either from DEN or DFW through LHR to EDI using BA Avios or Qantas points to book BA flights. We have done the train a number of times in both directions (Edinburgh to London and vice versa) if we were only able to find biz class seats to and from LHR or a couple of times when our EDI to LHR (or vice versa) leg was either cancelled or changed to a time that wouldn't work with the transatlantic leg. The train ride does add anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours to the journey depending upon whether you get an express train (and the logistics of getting to/from the train stations), but the train ride itself is very pleasant and quite scenic once you get into Northern England and Scotland. On my last trip to Edinburgh in August/September, I deliberately scheduled my return from LHR so I could spend a couple of nights in London on my way home and see Six. (I also happened to be in Scotland when the Queen died, and that was such a fascinating piece of history to be a part of. I was in Edinburgh when they moved her body to Holyrood and St. Giles, and I was able to watch the procession of her hearse down the Royal Mile to Holyrood and also the live proclamation of the Queen's death and Charles' ascension to the throne. Then I was in London just ahead of her body arriving there.)

In terms of times of year to go, I have been to Edinburgh in every month except for March, July, October and November, and each season has something to offer. In April, you get the cherry blossom which is gorgeous. I was there for snow in Feb. which was spectacularly beautiful. I might advise that a first-time visitor to Edinburgh not go in August which is festival season. There are fun things to do then (like the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo which I highly highly recommend, and the Fringe and International festivals), but the city is insanely crowded at that time. I was there this past August visiting my daughter, and we did the Tattoo (for the third time, it's that good and changes every year) and a number of the festival shows. We really enjoyed it, but we had also been there twice previously in August when we were more focused on seeing sites, the university for my daughter, etc. and found ourselves more annoyed than anything at the crowds and how taken over the city was by festival venues. But a teen might really enjoy the festival vibe and the Tattoo, so you'll have to be the judge. In September, you will get heather, which is also beautiful, but beware that it comes with midges in the Highlands.

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Edinburgh for a couple of years since we now own a flat there, but we've stayed at both the Radisson Blu Edinburgh and the Hilton Carlton Edinburgh (both on the Mile), and I would recommend both. We also did an AirBnB in the Bruntsfield neighborhood where we ended up buying our flat, and that worked out really well too.

In Edinburgh, I'd recommend touring Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace, hiking up Arthur's seat, strolling the Royal Mile and taking time to poke around some of the closes, St. Giles Cathedral, Dean Village and the Stockbridge neighborhood, Circus Lane, the National Museum of Scotland, the Writer's Museum, Princes Street Gardens, Gladstone's Land, Calton Hill, the Scott Monument, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton. I've hiked the West Highland Way on a group tour (just this past May with @CaliforniaGirl09), and have also visited the Highlands on an Adventures by Disney trip, but haven't yet done it on our own, so have less advice there. You could certainly take the train to Fort William or Inverness and use that as a home base for exploring the Highlands. And, as I mentioned in my prior post, Rabbie's does a day trip to the Highlands from Edinburgh. Other Rabbie's day tours that we have done and enjoyed are: the Outlander castles, St. Andrews and Fife, Roslyn Chapel and the Borders (that included Melrose Abbey), and another Borders tour that included Jeburgh Abbey and Hadrian's Wall. On my to do list are the Jacobite train up in the Highlands, and a three-isles tour from Oban that includes puffin viewing from late spring through the summer. We've also been to the Orkneys twice, and I would recommend, but that might be harder to fit in to an overall first-time Scotland trip. The Shetlands are also on my future must-do list.

Hope that's helpful. I'm definitely happy to answer specific questions.

In terms of travel to and from, we live in Boise, ID, so we always need to reposition. Our most frequent routes are a seasonal route on United from BOI thru ORD to EDI and BA through LHR to EDI. The United route seems to be a summer seasonal flight. Lately, we've been taking BA almost exclusively either from DEN or DFW through LHR to EDI using BA Avios or Qantas points to book BA flights. We have done the train a number of times in both directions (Edinburgh to London and vice versa) if we were only able to find biz class seats to and from LHR or a couple of times when our EDI to LHR (or vice versa) leg was either cancelled or changed to a time that wouldn't work with the transatlantic leg. The train ride does add anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours to the journey depending upon whether you get an express train (and the logistics of getting to/from the train stations), but the train ride itself is very pleasant and quite scenic once you get into Northern England and Scotland. On my last trip to Edinburgh in August/September, I deliberately scheduled my return from LHR so I could spend a couple of nights in London on my way home and see Six. (I also happened to be in Scotland when the Queen died, and that was such a fascinating piece of history to be a part of. I was in Edinburgh when they moved her body to Holyrood and St. Giles, and I was able to watch the procession of her hearse down the Royal Mile to Holyrood and also the live proclamation of the Queen's death and Charles' ascension to the throne. Then I was in London just ahead of her body arriving there.)

In terms of times of year to go, I have been to Edinburgh in every month except for March, July, October and November, and each season has something to offer. In April, you get the cherry blossom which is gorgeous. I was there for snow in Feb. which was spectacularly beautiful. I might advise that a first-time visitor to Edinburgh not go in August which is festival season. There are fun things to do then (like the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo which I highly highly recommend, and the Fringe and International festivals), but the city is insanely crowded at that time. I was there this past August visiting my daughter, and we did the Tattoo (for the third time, it's that good and changes every year) and a number of the festival shows. We really enjoyed it, but we had also been there twice previously in August when we were more focused on seeing sites, the university for my daughter, etc. and found ourselves more annoyed than anything at the crowds and how taken over the city was by festival venues. But a teen might really enjoy the festival vibe and the Tattoo, so you'll have to be the judge. In September, you will get heather, which is also beautiful, but beware that it comes with midges in the Highlands.

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Edinburgh for a couple of years since we now own a flat there, but we've stayed at both the Radisson Blu Edinburgh and the Hilton Carlton Edinburgh (both on the Mile), and I would recommend both. We also did an AirBnB in the Bruntsfield neighborhood where we ended up buying our flat, and that worked out really well too.

In Edinburgh, I'd recommend touring Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace, hiking up Arthur's seat, strolling the Royal Mile and taking time to poke around some of the closes, St. Giles Cathedral, Dean Village and the Stockbridge neighborhood, Circus Lane, the National Museum of Scotland, the Writer's Museum, Princes Street Gardens, Gladstone's Land, Calton Hill, the Scott Monument, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton. I've hiked the West Highland Way on a group tour (just this past May with @CaliforniaGirl09), and have also visited the Highlands on an Adventures by Disney trip, but haven't yet done it on our own, so have less advice there. You could certainly take the train to Fort William or Inverness and use that as a home base for exploring the Highlands. And, as I mentioned in my prior post, Rabbie's does a day trip to the Highlands from Edinburgh. Other Rabbie's day tours that we have done and enjoyed are: the Outlander castles, St. Andrews and Fife, Roslyn Chapel and the Borders (that included Melrose Abbey), and another Borders tour that included Jeburgh Abbey and Hadrian's Wall. On my to do list are the Jacobite train up in the Highlands, and a three-isles tour from Oban that includes puffin viewing from late spring through the summer. We've also been to the Orkneys twice, and I would recommend, but that might be harder to fit in to an overall first-time Scotland trip. The Shetlands are also on my future must-do list.

Hope that's helpful. I'm definitely happy to answer specific questions.
Replying to myself to add three super easy and worthwhile DIY trips from Edinburgh via train that I would recommend:

Taking the train to Stirling to tour Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument
Taking the train to South Queensferry to explore the very cute town and do a cruise on the Firth of Forth
Taking the train to North Berwick to check out the town and beaches and also see Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle

We've also taken the train to Falkirk to see the Kelpies, which I definitely recommend seeing (especially at night when they are lit up), but it is a little involved to get there.

You can also take the bus from Edinburgh to Portobello, which is a charming seaside town with a long beach promenade.

Good news, my Amex chat button is back today. Bad news, no retention offer again. They told me to check again Nov 15th, the day before my payment is due. We shall see.

My Sams club large purchase finally showed up on my new card, 10 days after the purchase, and 8 days after the two smaller purchases posted LOL.

You might be interested in this 50% points discount from Virgin Atlantic: https://thepointsguy.com/news/50-percent-off-virgin-flight-redemptions/

ETA: Chase is offering a 30% transfer bonus to VirginAtlantic through mid November. It seems these would stack because you transfer from Chase and get the 30% discount, then you book for full points with VA and get a 50% refund of points after your flight.

CIU / CIC 90k UR / 6k spend offer is now public; support links have not updated. Hopefully they will in 1-2 days, fingers crossed.

Wonder if we'll find out how long this will last. I could do 6k but would like to wait a few weeks before I app to get the spend into Feb. If they'll approve me. Getting the hyatt biz gives me a little hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter