• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. Sorry I've been so quiet lately. We are about to do 2 vacations in 4 weeks (Myrtle Beach next week and Captiva Island in Florida in mid-July). So I had been trying to get all caught up at work.

THEN yesterday we were hit with the hardest rain I've seen in my life. Our finished basement (which in a decade had seen a little water one time) got completely flooded. Luckily we don't have anything valuable on the ground but needless to say it's sucked up all my energy for a couple of days and we leave tomorrow. I hope everybody is doing well here, and I promise you'll hear more of me soon (just maybe not a ton for the next month or so). :)

Oh no! So sorry to hear this! I've been flooded twice and know how energy-draining dealing with the insurance, etc. is. I hope your vacations offer you a chance to get some well-deserved R&R!

Trying to decide if we should call Chase and see if we can expedite the new Marriott Biz card. I just got my roof finished yesterday and I am using part of that payment to meet the MSR on the new card. So the company just called today to get payment worked out and she's just the nicest lady, so I feel bad having her wait :) I paid the deposit with my SPG Biz many weeks ago to take a good chunk out of that MSR, and now she let me put a partial payment to meet my CIC one, and then the balance will complete the Marriott Biz. I asked if it was ok to pay the remainder next week and she's willing but I'm not wanting to upset their generosity of letting me put an entire roof on a credit card (or ya know, 3 or 4 :teeth:) with no additional fees. Although I wonder if it would make any difference at this point? He was approved Wed so I'm guessing around next Wed we should get it, so if I call to ask for an expedite today is it likely we'd get it any sooner than that?

I did not ask for expedited. I applied on June 15, I think! (@Lain check your spreadsheet!)

No sign of it yet.

I have a larger bill due on the 29th so I was in no rush. But, it can't hurt to ask.

I think the issue here is people are calling into the automated line and getting sent to a human, and not the automated status. I recall a few people on the thread mentioning that, expecting a recorded status and a human picked up. I think everyone else hung up, though, out of shock :)

Not sure if it's a change to how they're working the status line, a glitch in the automated part, or maybe accidentally hitting a different prompt? (1-800-432-3117, #, 3, 1, SSN) But it doesn't seem 100% safe at avoiding human contact for the moment.

The number I called was 888-338-2586, which I *thought* was the number for the automated status line, but it transferred me to a human. I hoped it was an error the first time, which is why I called back and ended up talking to a human (dumb). 1-800-432-3117 seems safe - I called it again last night to test if I got transferred to a person and instead went through the sequence you describe and got a 7-10 day message.

Kroger released a bunch of the $5/$10 off certain gift card coupons. Usually they're no good for me, but for some reason I had the idea of trying to sell them... so I might give that a try. Between the Discover 5%, fuel points, and TopCashBack, it's like getting to help max my Discover card with no OOP.

Oh boy it’s not fun..we had an issue with our basement flooding a few months after we moved into this house 30 years ago..had to trench 2 walls..lay down piping attached to a sump pump...no issues since...but now I’ve probably just jinxed myself

You should be fine if the job was done correctly. Usually they also waterproof your walls as well as the trenching and piping. One of the things to check when you are looking at a house is musty smell and the baseboards if you have a finished area in the basement.

Trying to decide if we should call Chase and see if we can expedite the new Marriott Biz card. I just got my roof finished yesterday and I am using part of that payment to meet the MSR on the new card. So the company just called today to get payment worked out and she's just the nicest lady, so I feel bad having her wait :) I paid the deposit with my SPG Biz many weeks ago to take a good chunk out of that MSR, and now she let me put a partial payment to meet my CIC one, and then the balance will complete the Marriott Biz. I asked if it was ok to pay the remainder next week and she's willing but I'm not wanting to upset their generosity of letting me put an entire roof on a credit card (or ya know, 3 or 4 :teeth:) with no additional fees. Although I wonder if it would make any difference at this point? He was approved Wed so I'm guessing around next Wed we should get it, so if I call to ask for an expedite today is it likely we'd get it any sooner than that?

Yes. Call to expedite! Chase will not normally expedite the Marriott Biz, but did when I called to ask. If they ask why, just say you have some upcoming expenses you’d really like to put on the card. I think I called after waiting about a week after approval. I remember there were a few of us applying for the Marriott Biz at the time, and we were all waiting forever for the card. I think @Albort called after me and got his card expedited too. If you don’t call, I doubt you’ll get the card by Wednesday. If you do call, Chase will likely expedite it by UPS 2nd Day delivery, but with the weekend you might not get it til Tuesday? So in the end, I got two Marriott Bizes in the Mail — the expedited one, and the snail mail one that showed up about two weeks after approval.

Kroger released a bunch of the $5/$10 off certain gift card coupons. Usually they're no good for me, but for some reason I had the idea of trying to sell them... so I might give that a try. Between the Discover 5%, fuel points, and TopCashBack, it's like getting to help max my Discover card with no OOP.

if u need help with selling them, send me a pm.

Checked my amex offers and they still think I'm a wino....12 wine offers...2 new ones today: Penfold's and Sherry Lehman. Also, one for the Exhale spa....there are none closer than New Jersey to me.

I do have a couple of DC area restaurants - Jose Andres's China Chilcano 25 of 75 and Daniel Boulud's DGBG 25 of 75, older daughter asked if I want to go in a group with her and friends - I have the offers twice, and she also has them. Maybe. Although I took a ride through the city earlier today because I had to pick up something from a friend up in Northwest, and now I'm just waiting to see if any of their billion traffic cameras caught me! Didn't see any flashes and I drove very carefully. The metro is really the way to go but it was/is raining all day here.

And 3x on CIP. It is a business expense for me after all, at a teacher rate since I homeschool lol
I thought I had read that it wasn't supposed to, so I was pleasantly surprised. I won a subscription for a year at work that ran out a few months ago so this makes paying for it better!

Awesome deal on the teacher rate haha.

Ok, for all you Starriott status chasers, I've got another avenue to get some elite nights heading into the program change. If you book a meeting at a Marriott, you can get 10 elite night credits for each meeting. I've been working on this one for a little while, and wanted to actually get it to work before I shared with the class.

I held a meeting for work at a Marriott and gave them my rewards number. Per the website, any qualifying meeting would earn 10 nights. At first, the nights didn't post, so I thought maybe my event was too small to qualify, or you need to have a room block (everyone was a local for my meeting). I asked the hotel where I'd hosted the meeting, and they told me that they don't participate in the program. I called Marriott central booking, and the person referred me to the rewards program. I found out from the rewards program rep that all Marriotts (except Residence Inn and maybe one other brand) do participate in the program and a room block is not required. I also checked back with Marriott central booking, and the rep I spoke to had checked into it and verified that any meeting should qualify. I (very politely) pushed back on the hotel where I'd held the meeting, and they apologized and said that they hadn't known about the program, but they had credited me the nights. The nights showed up the next day.

Depending on how many nights you need to get to the next status level (and how much you value that status) you should be able to book an event and get 10 nights - might be cheaper than mattress runs if you're a ways away from getting to the next level. Based on my experience, this may be a little bit YMMV - if I did it again, I'd want to be sure to discuss it ahead of time and make sure that they know how to credit the nights (and are willing to do so). The rewards rep was adamant that there was nothing she could do to get the nights credited to me, I had to get the hotel where the meeting was held to post the nights. It really looked like it wasn't going to pan out at one point.

Not sure if this will carry to the new program or not - from what I can see, it doesn't look like SPG offers night credit without having a room block too.

Anyone want to have a Dischurners meet up in New England? I'll book a conference room :rotfl:

Annnd on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8t0gw0/comment/e14h1zh?st=JIQDDOVQ&sh=2a16631b

OMG, they swapped which sides the SW wanna get away and business select fares show up on. I almost had a heart attack that the flight I looked at yesterday had gone from $161 to $603 :scared1: Then I figured it out.

They have been going back and forth for about a week now. I freaked out the first time I saw it too.

Checked my Amex this morning and I see where I received 10% back for the drink I purchased in an Exxon the other day, but have not received 10% back for the gas purchase I made at the same time. Hoping it just hasn’t shown up yet.
Did you set up a Dosh account for their 2% back at Exxon? I just got an email that they are doing 4% back this weekend.

So first off, ok it wasn't just me with the AmEx offers today :) I had like 90 on my everyday card and when I logged in I'm down to like 20 something. I know there weren't 70 offers expiring this week. I would think they got the hint that since I haven't added them yet I'm not going to and helpfully removed them for me :) But it's AmEx, really they probably glitched and there's awesome new offers out there I'm missing too :rolleyes:

For that miming he does on weekends? :rotfl:

Totally :laughing: But seriously, I noticed a lot of photography sub categories in the Services options. Might be another avenue if this doesn't pan out. Check the ones for 'other prof services' or something like that. Since hubby's side gig is a service we were checking out a couple types that centered around Services to find a good category/sub category. In one (or more) I noticed various Photography options.

I did not ask for expedited. I applied on June 15, I think! (@Lain check your spreadsheet!)

No sign of it yet.

I have a larger bill due on the 29th so I was in no rush. But, it can't hurt to ask.

Yes. Call to expedite! Chase will not normally expedite the Marriott Biz, but did when I called to ask. If they ask why, just say you have some upcoming expenses you’d really like to put on the card. I think I called after waiting about a week after approval. I remember there were a few of us applying for the Marriott Biz at the time, and we were all waiting forever for the card. I think @Albort called after me and got his card expedited too. If you don’t call, I doubt you’ll get the card by Wednesday. If you do call, Chase will likely expedite it by UPS 2nd Day delivery, but with the weekend you might not get it til Tuesday? So in the end, I got two Marriott Bizes in the Mail — the expedited one, and the snail mail one that showed up about two weeks after approval.

Rats, I think you are right @Judique and I was hoping you'd say you got it today :) I thought I got my CIC about a week from approval and hoped Marriott would be the same. But @Lain 's scaring me with the 2 weeks so I think I'll see if hubby can call today and check on it/get it expedited. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter