I need advice from camping pros.......

FTWFAN

DIS Veteran
Some of you may remember my post back in the spring. It was about how my DH is not a camping person but wanted to give it a try for the kids(now DD/12, DS/5 and DD/4). We discussed renting an RV and staying at FW for our July trip. Well, due to the high gas prices at the time and that my 21yo niece decided to go with us, we ended up staying in a cabin. Well, DH is talking about trying it again. He wants to rent an RV and drive down the day after Christmas for 5 or 6 days. What do you guys think about this for a DH who has never really set up an RV before? My entire childhood was spent camping in anything from a tent to a 25ft trailer. That was almost 18years ago though. I would appreciate hearing some opinions from you guys. Thanks!!!!!!!!

P.S. Right now my 3BR house isn't big enough for me and 2 of the kids. Can I stand 5 or 6 days with 2 very rambunctious(sp???) kids?!?!?!?!?!?!?Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give it a try! The driving isn't that different from a big van and the process of hooking-up and connecting isn't that difficult. My sister and I do it alone all the time!

You'll either find out that you love it, and then you'll be hooked--or you'll find out you don't like it. I'm willing to bet that y'all will love it!

Don't worry about the limited space with the kids--send them out to play!

Barbara
235 days to go
and post 100!

Setting up really isn't <i>that</i> bad. Just make sure you set aside a while for the people at the rental place to show you what to do. If you have any problems, campers are friendly people with lots of advice. Just ask, because most of us don't approach people unless they ask. Make sure you take something to level the trailer; I think that's the most important part of getting situated. (Unless you don't mind rolling out of bed. :))

The thing about camping is that you are hardly at your campsite....esp. at FW because there is so much to do there! :) Your really only there to sleep and eat.

You won't have any problem setting up your site. Esp. since you have camped so much yourself. I myself have gone with my 2 kids (13 & 9) and we have set up camp (popup) all by ourselves before and dh has driven over when he gets off work (not FW...other campgrounds).

If you find that you are having problems..just call on a CM and they will be glad to help you out! :)

You might want to check with CRO. I call on a weekly basis and they keep telling me FtW has no camp sites available between Christmas and New Years. They are booked solid. Good luck!

Are you talking about a MH? If so, make sure you have them explain all the safety rules. I can't remember exactly what happened, but some F1 fans attending the race last year, died as a result of carbon-monoxide poisioning. It didn't have the proper exhaust or something on it and it backed up into the MH. I'm sure someone on here can explain it better.

The camping community is usually very helpful. If you rent a newer RV everything should be in working order. Older RV's sometimes need some "adjustments" during a trip. Usually you can find people in the campground willing to help.

We pull a 30+' travel trailer from SE PA to Orlando. We buy an annual pass go for two weeks then return the following year two weeks earlier. We get a "two for one" type of admission. We stay home the year in between.

Feel free to contact me if you need any additional information @ jtrate@netzero.com.

We will be leaving this Thursday 10/11 to return 10/29!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter