I remember when,

I remember when the Odessey in Epcot was a restaurant , Mickey and Minney were dressed in spacesuits and walked around from table to table...I also remember you didnt need reccies to eat anywhere, you could just walk up to a restaurant when you were hungry ....and get in right away. There were only a few resorts and you had to make reservations at least a year in advance....first time there we wanted to stay at poly..booked up...so we had to stay at the Comtempory...:rotfl2:...they had a 24 hour snack bar and the best arcade.

I remember and miss 20,000 Leagues and Mr Toads Wild Ride.

In 1973, a campsite at Fort Wilderness was $11.oo per night !!!!

I remember the first time I went to Walt Disney world was with my parents in the 70's. We went in a pop up without air conditioner. Thought it was great that the bathhouse had air conditioner because we didn't have it at home or in the car! Our first morning a deer was standing near our camper which we were excited about! I remember swimming at River country, swimming at the beach and laying in the hamocks at the beach campground. I remember the buckets over Magic Kingdom, I remember 20,000 leaugues, Mr Toads Wild ride, having to choose from each category A, B,C, D E, whatever you wanted to see(thats an improvement), figment imagination being better, The Saloon show at Diamond Horseshoe Review at Magic Kingdom, and seems like you had to run over that morning and reserve it. I remember when you could see Walt Disney World in three days and go to the beach for the rest of the week! I remember watching Walt Disney movies every Sunday Night on black and white tv, Watching Mickey Mouse Club, to hear Bobby, Sharon, Annete, etc;, call there name! Shoot I remember when there was no Walt Disney World and just Disneyland! Geez I'm getting old, I remember when I was alot younger!

I remember, back in my day,
We survived being born to mothers who smoked and or drank while they carried us.
They took asprin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead based paints.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from a water hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread, with real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because,,,,,,WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day long as we were back when the street lights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day and we were OK !!!
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-Boxs, no video games at all, no cable, videos or DVDs, no cell phones, computers, Internet or chat rooms.....WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them !!!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents,,,
BECAUSE THEY WERE ACCIDENTS !!!!!

Back then we had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned to deal with it all !

I remember this cool truck at the Fort which came around and had all kinds of supplies on it, like a traveling store.... I have included a picture, I wished they would bring it back!!

img003.jpg
[/IMG]

I remember, back in my day,
We survived being born to mothers who smoked and or drank while they carried us.
They took asprin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead based paints.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from a water hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread, with real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because,,,,,,WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day long as we were back when the street lights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day and we were OK !!!
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-Boxs, no video games at all, no cable, videos or DVDs, no cell phones, computers, Internet or chat rooms.....WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them !!!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents,,,
BECAUSE THEY WERE ACCIDENTS !!!!!

Back then we had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned to deal with it all !

You are 100% right :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

:confused3:confused3:confused3

I'm back Frank (aka Born 2 Fish)----I responded to your PM. Now a month late.

Back on topic: Being mature, well old, or really old, maybe bordering on ancient ; I REMEMBER-----Yikes ! I forgot what I remembered.

It had to be important if I remembered it. Hold on ! ! This ain't my computer. DOUBLE YIKES-----I think I'm in the wrong house.

I'm due for my meds. All I have to do is remember where the house is.

Hold on ! Is that my DW, Shirley ? ? Man O' Man. Shirley your 25, blonde, Swedish and mighty shapely. Maybe I will stay for tea. The He** with my meds.
john

I remember Alien Encounter. I was so scared I had to keep telling myself "this aint real, there is not an Alien walking towards me" as I pulled my feet up under my seat so the Alien wouldnt trip over them and know that I was there.

:cloud9:

My wife was a Castmember with DIS in PA.

Our 1st time to Disney World.

McCoy airport was like a refurbished airplane hanger. Everything was on one floor. Arrivals, Departures, Transportation. All of it on one floor. You deplaned not through a jet way, but if it was a 727 the bottom of the tail dropped down to form steps to the ground.

Boy was it HOT ! ! ! We went in July.

At WDW they had the Magic Kingdom, Polynesian, the Contemporary and the Golf Resort (now Military).

I remember the bus ride out rt 528 to rt 4. If it was not for an occasional palm tree, I thought were in the Pine Barrens of NJ. There was absolutely NADA.

john

john

I remember, when we didn't have TV remote controls,,(being the youngest sibling) I was the "human remote control" in the family. "Go change the channel...no wait, change it back...jiggle the knob, no go back...back...one more...c'mon...crap, fix the antenna!"

I remember when Wal-Mart actually PRIDE themselves on selling as many products as they could made in America.
And if there were more than 3 customers inna checkout line, they would open another register.

I remember when life was simple, and all children respect others as well as themselves.

Children would addressed an adult as m'am, sir, Mr. Smith/ Mrs. Smith.

I remember going to bed with our door unlocked, when we lived in Maine.

The golden rule was "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"

Please and thank you, were said or you would never get what you wanted.

All adults ruled if a neighbor told you to stop doing something, you stopped and prayed they didn't call your parents.

I remember taking a shower in the rain and washing our hair in the down spout.

I remember the milkman bought us our milk, egg and cheeze.

Oh my, better stop or everyone will know how old I am! lol

Ohhhh!!! I remember the milkman! And the insulated steel milk bottle "holder" sitting in front of the garage. Milk always tasted best out of glass bottles!

I remember going to the barn with my father when he would go milk the family cow,,the cats would follow ,,when he was milking the cats would stand on their hind quarters and (kinda beg) for milk, dad would try to squirt milk into their little mouths. :lmao:
Dad rarely hit their mouth but they sure enjoy'd licking the milk off.

;););)

Does anyone remember the ICE MAN, not the one from the movie TOPGUN.

Even though I grew up in Philly, not in the country, we had an horse tie up post outside the house. The streets were paved. I have a picture (I believe of this tie up post). If I can find it, I will post it.

We put a square sign in a front window that had a 5 on the top, if turned a 10 was on the top, turned again a 15 on top, turned again a 20 on the top.

This told the Ice Man, how may cents worth of ice you wanted for our icebox, today commonly called refrigerator.

The Ice Man had had a leather / rubber (???) apron thingie over his shoulder. He chipped the ice to the desired block purchase amount, grabbed the block of ice with huge tongs, slung it onto his shoulder and put the ice block into the refrigerator ; Sorry, the Ice Box.

No body, I mean nobody locked their houses in those days gone by. Even in the BIG CITY.

john

So why is it that I can "remember when",,, but can't remember where I put my car keys 5 minutes ago ???

Don't remember ICE MAN, but I do remember Milk man, Bread man, Diaper man, and (of course, Superman :lmao:)
We even had the Charlie Chip man.

I remember when in 1972: Walt Disney World's If You Had Wings attraction, sponsored by Eastern Airlines (the official airline of Walt Disney World) opens. It was located in Tomorrowland across from the Mission To The Moon attraction. If You Had Wings takes guests on a journey through some of Eastern's tourist destinations, such as Mexico City, New Orleans and the Bahamas. The attraction entertained millions of visitors for the next 15 years.

If you had Wings ,
had wings,
had wings,
had wings,,,,,

I wasn't born when this happened, but it's a part of history we should not forget.

1944:
In the early morning hours, Allied forces (made up of mostly soldiers from the U.S., United Kingdom, and Canada) invade the Nazi-held Normandy coast of France as D-Day (or the Normandy Invasion) begins. "Mickey Mouse" is used as a password for the invasion by the Allied forces.

Taking part in D-Day is Solomon Hersh Frees (later known as voice actor Paul Frees of Disney's Haunted Mansion fame). He will be wounded in action and return home for a year of recuperation. D-Day will be the greatest seaborne invasion mankind has ever seen and a major turning
point in World War II.

Okay,, I wasn't born in 1944,,,but i do remember when Mission to Mars in Tomorrow land, which opened on this date in 1975,,
Walt Disney World's version of Mission to Mars - developed with
NASA - debuts in Tomorrow land.
Guests first enter a viewing area known as Mission Control, which is modeled after a typical mission control center with chairs and control panels for about ten seated Audio-Animatronic "technicians" whose
backs are to the audience. Facing the audience is the Audio-Animatronic flight director Mr. Johnson (voiced by radio & TV announcer George Walsh) who shows film clips and explains how man has made numerous advances
in space travel. After the pre-show, guests board their spacecraft - a circular theater with stadium-like seating featuring circular flat screens on the ceiling and floor. Third Officer Collins (voiced by veteran Pete Renoudet)
serves as the guests' in-flight narrator.
(Mission To Mars closed its doors October 4, 1993 and later re-open as the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.
Today this area is known as Stitch's Great Escape!

And I gotta say, altho Stitch's Great Escape might be (and is fun) for the smaller people, I for onr REALLY miss ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter