Ideas on what to do after cruise, no car

umich cruiser

Earning My Ears
We are on the July 5th Magic. There are 6 adults. 3 of us are coming in from Michigan and 3 from Tennessee. We are staying before the cruise at the Swan. We are using Tiffany Town Cars to pick us up at the airport to WDW to the port and back to the airport. Here's our problem...Tiffany will pick us up at the port after our cruise at 8:00 am to take us to the airport. The first flight for Tennessee leaves at 3:55 pm, the flight for Michigan at 4:55 pm. What can we do besides sitting at MCO all day? We will not have a car, we will have lots of luggage, and we will be very sad that our long anticipated vacation is over. We really don't want to spend a lot more to rent a car at the airport for a few hours. I would appreciate any ideas.

The Hyatt in the airport atrium has a $60 day rate. Rooms are available between 10:00am and 6:00pm You can call them directly to book it. We did it, and it's a great way to relax before heading home.

We checked in around 10:15am. The kids sat and watched cartoons for a little bit, then we went swimming at the outdoor heated pool. It's very quiet and relaxing. You can also grab lunch either at the hotel or in the airport atrium. There's a Chili's restaurant as well as some fast food options.

You're inside the airport at all times so going between hotel and check-in is easy and convenient.

Why not cancel your town car from the port to the airport and look into renting a car. We always book with Avis and pick up the car at the Radisson at the port. We check our bags right at the cruise terminal (some airlines have onsite check in there...check to make sure your airline does) and spend the day at either Downtown Disney or any other of the shopping/attractions in Orlando. You can even catch a movies and lunch. Then just drop off the rental back at MCO.

You can find some great rental car codes at www.mousesavers.com and book at Avis www.avis.com

http://www.mousesavers.com/groundtrans.html#avis

You would add the code at the Avis site in the box called AWD discount code. Typically a mid-size card with a one way rental from port to airport is about $45 or so.

MJ

Wow this post was just what I needed. We have a 4:00 pm flight after our Land and Sea trip next Feb. I was wondering what to do. I am going to suggest the Hyatt idea to DH.

We also wondered if there are any malls within a reasonable cab ride from the airport. Any suggestions from that perspective?

Hi umich cruiser!

3 of us are coming in from Michigan and 3 from Tennessee. Here's our problem...Tiffany will pick us up at the port after our cruise at 8:00 am to take us to the airport. The first flight for Tennessee leaves at 3:55 pm, the flight for Michigan at 4:55 pm. What can we do besides sitting at MCO all day?QUOTE]

If the 3 people from Tennessee are as laid back as the people I know from there, then you'll have just enough time...

If the 3 people from Tennessee are as laid back as the people I know from there, then you'll have just enough time...

I would probaly recommend taking Tiffany from the Swan to the Port. Then after the cruise take the shuttle to Avis and rent a car (or 2) to be dropped off at MCO. They usually cost around $50 or $60 (I think Tiffany will charge you around $100 after tip for the return trip) This will allow you to go to the beach, and visit Downtown Disney.

That is what we do before we fly back to Tennessee.

Where do you pick up the shuttle for Avis at the port, do you call and schedule it? What beach do you go to? Down to Cocoa Beach? We have been on 2 previous cruises but always used Disney buses. The Tennessee folks are originally from Michigan, so they haven't quite mellowed out enough to take 6 hours to get to the airport.

We have visited both Cocoa Beach and Vero Beach. Vero Beach is about a 2 hour drive. It is more for if you have a 7PM flight.

Thats okay, there are plenty of non-mellow people to keep them company. Lived here all my life and still not mellow and laid back.

The Avis/Radisson and Budget shuttles all pick up in the far parking lot at the cruise terminal. You do not have to call. Just look for the large white tent and head to that area. The shuttle vans run continuously all morning.

A HINT....it is sometimes much easier to send one member of the party on the shuttle and then that person can come back and pick up the rest of the party and the luggage with the rental car. It is very hard to fit all the people and luggage that want to go at one time.

MJ

bump

I liked the idea about renting a room at the airport Hyatt for the day. However, I am still trying to find out if there are any malls within a short cab ride from the airport.

Any final thoughts?

PiperG,

Yes there is a mall close to the airport - not sure of the name - but just about 10-15 minutes away. We went there last November while we were waiting for our niece's flight to get in. It's a very nice mall with some good restaurants. I can't give you any idea about taxis 'cause we'd picked up our rental car already. Anyway it is just a bit due west of the airport.

Karyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter