If DL's reopening is for CA residents only at first...

The ironic part if this was actually about risk/health, is you WANT out of state people ONLY to attend as their number are lower.

Congrats on your vaccinations. We are now over two months into trying to vaccinate the first tier, and that tier isn't done yet. They just don't have the vaccine supply yet to give all those people their shots. The imbalance in vaccine availability across the nation is amazing. The first tier was supposed to include anyone over age 65, but one group (Kaiser) imposed a limit of 75 and older because they don't have enough vaccine. That changed last week, and they expanded it to 65 and up. Another medical group started cancelling appointments for first vaccines because promised vaccine did not arrive and they were 90,000 doses short. Last week they got 60,000 addition doses, and today an additional 30,000 doses so they can finally start vaccinating people who were supposed to have been vaccinated in December.
yup..our state has to worry about vaccinating a population of 39Million...so congrats to the out of state ppl w/their vaccinations. WDW is wide open (believe me, i'd go to WDW from CA asap but I got 3 dogs to take care of)

These are the current California travel recommendations: Californians should remain local (not traveling more than 120 miles from their home or other place of residence) and avoid non-essential travel. Travelers from other states or countries entering into California for tourism and recreation are strongly discouraged.

Theme park reopening preliminary guidelines per the state of California: All California theme parks, no matter the size, are now allowed to reopen in the red tier (tier 2) at a 15% limited capacity. Additionally, the theme parks can only host California residents only, no out-of-state Guests are allowed.

It's interesting that we are still advised to stay within 120 miles from home. I am fairly certain that this is not being adhered to by a very large population of the state. The Disney vloggers that I follow have mostly decamped to Florida, and I live in a very touristy part of California wine country and our weekend traffic is just as ridiculous as ever. If the theme park guidelines were really designed to mimic the state guidelines, only people residing within 120 miles of Disneyland would be allowed to buy tickets for a red tier reopening.

Yep, me and my Minnesota germs will be infecting all of California this fall. Better take cover. In reality: California needs and wants money, so that will rule when they open it up to all, and bet it's not very far away.

California doesn't really need or want money, though. We still have a massive budget surplus. This is why our governor doesn't feel compelled to get our economy open again, and particularly the tourism sector.

Congrats on your vaccinations. We are now over two months into trying to vaccinate the first tier, and that tier isn't done yet. They just don't have the vaccine supply yet to give all those people their shots. The imbalance in vaccine availability across the nation is amazing. The first tier was supposed to include anyone over age 65, but one group (Kaiser) imposed a limit of 75 and older because they don't have enough vaccine. That changed last week, and they expanded it to 65 and up. Another medical group started cancelling appointments for first vaccines because promised vaccine did not arrive and they were 90,000 doses short. Last week they got 60,000 addition doses, and today an additional 30,000 doses so they can finally start vaccinating people who were supposed to have been vaccinated in December.

this really doesn't have anything to do with my comment, which is to say allowing vaccinated people from out of state may be (should be, IMO) a consideration. It's certainly less risk than allowing 20,000+ unvaccinated people in a park - regardless of their residency - together.

California doesn't really need or want money, though. We still have a massive budget surplus. This is why our governor doesn't feel compelled to get our economy open again, and particularly the tourism sector.

Are you living on the same planet as the rest of us?

I'd love to be able to rebook our mother/daughter trip which was originally planned for April 2020 but it will take time. We are from Canada - Canada still has their borders shut to the U.S. and honestly there are more people in the state of California than all of Canada so thems some close quarters you got there - and we will wait for vaccinations to make their way into the population and for businesses to sort out the best ways to open safely. I have a feeling that once vaccination roll out gets going at a steady pace things will turn around. This time last year we thought we might be in this situation for a few months - not it makes sense people are wanting to be done already - I think a lot will change in the next 6 months.

I live in California. Factually, the state still has a $15 BILLION budget surplus. Factually, the governor is not prioritizing a reopening of the tourism sector and is actually actively discouraging travel into and within the state. I'm living right in the middle of it.

https://apnews.com/article/gavin-ne...rus-pandemic-8d01e88ceeb4b0bc6cb1fb0d6a8d72b7

I agree with you. There are places like Anaheim that are hurting because their economies rely heavily on tourism. But outside of tourism and other service sectors, the California economy is doing well. It greatly disincentives the government from opening up businesses that encourage people to travel.

There are still many things to keep in mind if you have been vaccinated. It's not a golden ticket to freedom. In fact, the CDC still recommends against travel for the fully vaccinated. They can't even say for certain how long the vaccination will be effective. https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-guidelines-fully-vaccinated/index.html

I agree, but when we are talking about something like opening a theme park, we're talking about relative risk because certainly as far as the CDC is concerned they would also discourage attending Disneyland. I don't think we can dispute that if you're allowing 20,000 people in a park it would be much safer to have vaccinated people than unvaccinated people?

I agree with you. There are places like Anaheim that are hurting because their economies rely heavily on tourism. But outside of tourism and other service sectors, the California economy is doing well. It greatly disincentives the government from opening up businesses that encourage people to travel.

Anaheim is one of my neighboring cities. It is absolutely devastating driving through there right now.

But CA is home to a LOT of rich people and big companies that keep the state propped up with tax revenue even though the last year has had almost everything shut down. Tourism doesn't drive this state as a whole, although it almost entirely drives the smaller local economies of places like Anaheim.

I agree, but when we are talking about something like opening a theme park, we're talking about relative risk because certainly as far as the CDC is concerned they would also discourage attending Disneyland. I don't think we can dispute that if you're allowing 20,000 people in a park it would be much safer to have vaccinated people than unvaccinated people?

Possibly, yes. However, theme parks will still have to adhere to the state's guidelines. I think the key here is that Californians are not being vaccinated at the same rate as citizens in other states, and the case numbers here are still not good enough. The state isn't going to allow vaccinated visitors from other areas into a California county that is still in the purple tier, or maybe even the red tier. California's infection rate has to improve before out of state visitors will be allowed.

The ironic part if this was actually about risk/health, is you WANT out of state people ONLY to attend as their number are lower.
Actually, CA has lower numbers than AZ and Utah, when adjusted to cases per capita. Both of those are states that have a lot of Disneyland travelers. We just have a lot more people in CA, so the numbers seem worse, but we are actually lower.

Actually, CA has lower numbers than AZ and Utah, when adjusted to cases per capita. Both of those are states that have a lot of Disneyland travelers. We just have a lot more people in CA, so the numbers seem worse, but we are actually lower.
In CA, 1 in every 748 people have died because of Covid. AZ is 1 in 454. New Mexico is 1 in 550. Nationwide it is 1 in 742.

We are lower than most. Looking at Utah, it does look like they are doing better than we are.

In CA, 1 in every 748 people have died because of Covid. AZ is 1 in 454. New Mexico is 1 in 550. Nationwide it is 1 in 742.

We are lower than most. Looking at Utah, it does look like they are doing better than we are.

We have a TON of snow-birds and retirees here though. I would like to see it broken down by age/co-morbidity metrics. I personally don't know a single person here who's had it.

I live in California. Factually, the state still has a $15 BILLION budget surplus. Factually, the governor is not prioritizing a reopening of the tourism sector and is actually actively discouraging travel into and within the state. I'm living right in the middle of it.

https://apnews.com/article/gavin-ne...rus-pandemic-8d01e88ceeb4b0bc6cb1fb0d6a8d72b7
But why is he allowing cities to advertise to out of state resident then? The City of San Diego very much wants us there.

True! AZ has been a hot spot and off this whole time. We seem to be improving lately... hopefully it stays that way! They just opened capacity of things back to 100% if 6 foot distancing can be maintained, which feels like an oxymoron, haha. Vaccines are open to 55+ now plus all essential workers. I’ve been fully vaccinated for over a month as a teacher. Right or wrong, I guess the sting is the rest of the Disney community is now feeling the repercussions of how shut down and proactive CA has been. And I say that as a fairly Covid conscious person.

But why is he allowing cities to advertise to out of state resident then? The City of San Diego very much wants us there.

The CITIES very much want the tourism. They have been fighting back against the governor this whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter