If the flattening isn't working is it time to face reality?

Your two statements directly contradict each other. If you open right now as you suggest, the hospitals will be overwhelmed in 1-2 weeks and the death rate will likely double.

What is so hard about just listening to the experts on this?
B/c now everyone who has the internet is an expert in any field they choose.

It isn't working
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/0...-amid-plans-to-convert-it-into-fema-hospital/
IIRC Cuomo didn't want to issue a shelter in place, it just went in to effect yesterday. Wasn't he at odds with DeBlasio about NYC when all this started?
Maybe he should have listened to him back then.

Maybe they just don't work because in order for them to we depend on individuals.
Recommendations and warnings have been in place long before these orders to shelter.
Since we can't depend on individuals to do the right thing just for 2 weeks to see if anything would get better, do we really think any of this is going to matter in the long run?
The virus IS running it's course. We aren't stopping it.
That's not the point of any of this. No one is trying to stop it right now. Slowing is the goal. Those NY numbers would be way worse if there were no measures in place.

That's not the point of any of this. No one is trying to stop it right now. Slowing is the goal. Those NY numbers would be way worse if there were no measures in place.

There are measures in place and have been, that is exactly the point.
Those measures thus far have done nothing to slow it, at least according to Cuomo. I admit I haven't looked at any actual data from anywhere though.
So do we keep them in place all the while the virus continues to spread, or do we lift some and let the virus continue to spread?
Maybe that question is part of the discussions our leaders are having about what to do.

The country was shut down because they were thinking the death rate would be 5%. It is not. It's is around 1%. Time to reopen.
That makes no sense. It's highly probable the death rate is low BECAUSE of the steps that are being taken.

I'm thinking the middle of April or beginning of May, you're going to start seeing a lot more people with cabin fever saying "open back up". I hope after another week of enforced shutdowns, the government starts allowing things to open, even if in a greatly reduced capacity. Ride that for 6 weeks, then allow more capacity. Another 6 weeks, more capacity, etc.

Those measures thus far have done nothing to slow it, at least according to Cuomo. I admit I haven't looked at any actual data from anywhere though.
So do we keep them in place all the while the virus continues to spread, or do we lift some and let the virus continue to spread?
Maybe that question is part of the discussions our leaders are having about what to do.
Cuomo probably knows a lot more than I do, but I find it hard to believe the measures taken so far have done NOTHING to slow it.

I started working from home on March 12th. It was the 13th that my industry paused, and a few days after that that restaurants and bars became takeout only. It's not possible to know that it's not working yet, because we haven't been shut down as long as the incubation period yet.

We knew it was going to get worse before it got better. The rate of getting worse was basically projected.

What makes you think that these measures have made no difference? There are 17 confirmed cases in my town of 28,000, I’m certain having a lockdown is slowing down the spread, how could it not?

We won't know until they have been in place for 2-3 weeks, and NYC has only been in this mode for 4 days.

The official shelter in place has been, but there have been restrictions in place before that.
I don't know the exact time line, I'd have to google.

Yes. We don't know how effective the measures have been, and we won't. If it works it will feel like an overreaction, but it's necessary. Saying the virus is spreading anyways so why not just let everyone loose is not a good strategy if you want to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed and kept the death rate low.

The official shelter in place has been, but there have been restrictions in place before that.
I don't know the exact time line, I'd have to google.
The shelter in place is when the clock starts because people were ignoring it before they were told that they had to do it. That started on Friday.

It definitely has not been two weeks. I was still going to work via the subway two weeks ago to my tourism-industry specific job.

Cuomo probably knows a lot more than I do, but I find it hard to believe the measures taken so far have done NOTHING to slow it.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/coronavirus-cases-continue-to-rise-in-new-york-and-throughout-us/The original containment zone in New Rochelle helped to slow down new cases in Westchester County. BTW, the containment zone was not a lockdown, and those describing it as such were incorrect.

ETA, first time using a link. Toward the end of the article:

In some encouraging news the number of cases in Westchester — where the state’s first major outbreak was located — is slowing.

“That is good news,” the governor said, proof that the original “containment zone” is working. Still, there were at least 294 cases there as of Saturday.

What makes you think that these measures have made no difference? There are 17 confirmed cases in my town of 28,000, I’m certain having a lockdown is slowing down the spread, how could it not?

Ask Cuomo, he's the one saying it's not slowing.

The other day my county had 30 now we have 100.
A cashier at a local grocery store just tested positive so I expect that number to go up.

Just FTR I am not advocating lifting all restrictions, but that doesn't stop me from questioning whether or not they are working like they were intended.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter