If you were going to vacation in Florida, but not at WDW

I like Captiva better too!
Sanibel is beautiful...Captiva is breathtaking!!

Now..if you do go to Sanibel, be sure to drop in to C.R.O.W (Clinic for the rehabilitation of Wildlife) My daughter volunteered there last summer for 7 weeks and it was the best experience of her life thus far! They have wonderful hearts and do so much for the poor animals brought in...not just from local areas...and survive totally on donations of money and peoples time. Helping hands are always in short supply and you'd be surprised what you could help with for a couple of hours. You would get so much more back than you give!

Sadly...most of these animals suffer from injuries etc brought about by man in large part. (ie: propeller injuries to turtles, fishing line caught in the beaks of pelicans and on and on...it would break your heart)

Anyway...a simply lovely island...both ends of it!:D

Hoping for Vero Beach in 2005

Cruise - 2003
Wilderness Lodge - 2004
Vero - 2005
(yes things got delayed a year but hey that's life)

If you're looking for a truly "relaxing" vacation, head to Pensacola Beach. The Pensacola area is kind of the "anti-Florida"....it's a lot more laid back than central/south Florida. The Destin beaches are very nice, although Destin is getting very BUSY, and a little pricey. Panama City Beach is just tacky. Fort Walton Beach just has no real character.

I'd also suggest trying to visit some State Parks. There are some really unique state parks in Florida. Most are maintained in a "natural" state.

Boca Grande, Anna Maria Island, Englewood, Sanibel Island.....anywhere along the Gulf Coast is exceptionally awesome! Have a terrific time.

I've mostly traveled up and down the west coast, which is my preference.

I vote for Longboat Key (The Colony or rent a single family home). I also love Sanibel Island and Marco Island (although my last trip to Marco was during a flood!).

So far I have not tried the panhandle. I would love to visit that area someday. It looks amazing!

As far as The Keys go, the scenery is great but the area may be just a little too laid back, at least in the summer time. Be prepared to drive many miles to get anywhere! If you are looking for totally relaxing we last stayed at the Hawks Cay Resort. The villas are quite lovely there. It's closest to Marathon. Can't say that I'm a big fan of Key West, but my bar-hopping days are long over which may have something to do with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter