If you were going to vacation in Florida, but not at WDW

The Nature Coast north of Tampa is very quiet and very affordable with lots of housing and accomodations of all types available. Great (and affordable) golf, too!

Our favorite beach in Florida (and we have been to MANY) is Siesta Key. Siesta is just barely south of Sarasota and so wonderful. Wide, white, sugary sand and the water is incredible! The beach is a crescent shape and the waves are very low with little to no riptide and undercurrent. Wonderful, wonderful beach!!

Wow, some diverse opinions here! We have friends in Tampa (but they never leave Tampa) so I know we'll spend at least one day in Tampa. I have been to WDW more than they have. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to research this, as the area around Tampa is where I would like to relocate to, close to WDW and friends in the area already. Just think Marla, if I move there, there's another excuse to visit, and then we would HAVE to go to WDW of course!

DH and I went to St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra this past August. The beaches were beautiful, the lighthouse was awesome, and the historical sites were great!

Pam

I've never visited anywhere but Orlando before. But I'd love to drive down through the Keys and perhaps spend some time in Key West :)

i've only been to florida once without going to wdw and then it was to the keys, miami, and west palm beach. :)

the keys are absolutely beautiful! :)

There are so many great places in Florida!

The panhandle has the most beautiful white sand beaches - our fave was Panama City.

You could always check out a shuttle launch or visit the space center on the East Coast. I'm not a Daytona Beach fan, but many others like it.

Anyplace from Clearwater south is great for west coast fun.

We stayed at the national park lodge (actually we rented a very rustic cottage) in the Everglades a couple years ago. This was a good escape from the rat race! Saw some neat wildlife. There's a campground too.

We have also been to the Keys a couple times. Everyone has to visit Key West at least once in their life! Don't go to KW for the beaches though...go for the funky atmosphere.

I can't go to Fla. and not go to WDW, but Key West is very cool, and Tampa is a verrrrrrrry nice city. Always heard good things about Sanibel but haven' been there.

I would go to the west coast anywhere from Bradenton on down to Ft Myers!!! Especially if it was during Spring training:bounce:

Sanibel is great!! We have a condo we rent while there. It's on the beach and has everything you need. Summer is the low season and is really enjoyable. You can swim, explore, shop or just about anything you want. Captiva is also wonderful.

The way I see it....
Sarasota....pretty, great beaches and shopping....

Or

Sanibel Island....doesn't even feel like Florida...really quiet and pretty and peaceful....

I know you mentioned that you are interested in the central Florida area, but I highly suggest checking out the Keys.

My parents spend a month or two in the Keys each winter. They bring their boat down, and enjoy the laid-back environment. Each year Me, DH, DSister & Brother-in-law, and other DSister and her fiance go down to vivist. My parents rent a canal front home with a dock for the boat in the area of Big Pine Key, Summerland Key, or Ramrod Key. It is about 30-40 miles from Key West. It is absolutely beautiful! And Key West nightlife is not too far away. The Keys don't even seem like Florida - they are more like a tropical island environment!

39 days and counting until I am in the Keys!

I don't think I could ever do it!

we went to the beaches in Clearwater and they were wonderful !:)

oh The Keys do sound like a nice place

but if you are going for Spring Break try to pick a place that won't be overrun with college people and such

Captiva Island, Tween Waters Resort - now that's old style
Florida luxury!!!
www.tweenwaters.com
No hustle, no bustle.
Great pool and tennis courts.
Wonderful food!
Resident manatees - although they try to shoo they so they
don't get caught in propellers.
Great fishing charters.
Easy day trips to Upper Captiva.
visit "busy" Sanibel and escape back to Paradise!

Wow.........let's see..... we've been to: Sarasota,Sebastian,Siesta Key,Clearwater,Longboat Key and Marco Island and I can honestly say we've loved each and every place we've been fortunate enough to visit.:D I particularily love the Gulf side with the sugar white sand beaches and aqua waters.

In 6 weeks we're off for 23 days to Cocoa Beach then to Fort Myers and then back to Orlando for all the great parks. I hope this vacation is just as much fun as all the others, as we'll be seeing the Atlantic,Gulf of Mexico and then right back to the middle of Florida...........Orlando!;)

Honeymooned on Longboat Key. Loved it! I have heard Marco Island is gorgeous too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter