I'm all for the ROTR virtual queue, BUT

While I agree the idea of having to wait around all day for your number to be called isn't great (especially if you were planning to leave like 5/6 and it may not get called till 7), same time I personally can't handle the ride lines for super popular. I mean, I went last year around this time not realizing how ridiculous the new Pandora ride would be (I mean...it opened in 2017 for Pete's sake and it was 2019) and yet cause of EMH that day, by the time I got in barely an hour later it was at a five hour wait. I wasn't going to waste half my day in line. At least with VQ, you can go and do other stuff while waiting for your number. Much better in my opinion then spending five hours in line (which I guarantee that's what we'd see at RoR without the groups.

Happy New Year everyone!

First of all let me say that I really like the idea of the virtual line and think it’s a great idea for the extremely popular attractions!
I do have one big criticism, and I am very curious to hear your responses, because I truly don’t understand why it’s necessary for everyone in the group to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a BG for sometime later in the day.
I am from the west coast with older teens and we are the sleep in and shut down the parks type of family especially with the three hour time difference. But I’m also a mom of four and remember how hard it can be to get little ones up and dressed and out the door!
Please explain why one person in my party can’t be in the park at opening and secure the boarding group for everyone? I get up with my coffee, head over to DHS, stand in line, enter, go on line and secure my family’s BG for later, go back to the hotel.
Does it really matter to the fairness of the process that five other tired/crabby people aren’t next to me when I secure our BG? Either way, I reserved a BG for a party of six. Also, I think it would help to keep the line down at the opening which would be a plus.
Those of us that travel with little ones, grandparents, teens that don’t rise til noon, different time zones, large parties etc.. would really appreciate this small change.
Thanks for listening!
:thanks:

Happy New Year everyone!

First of all let me say that I really like the idea of the virtual line and think it’s a great idea for the extremely popular attractions!
I do have one big criticism, and I am very curious to hear your responses, because I truly don’t understand why it’s necessary for everyone in the group to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a BG for sometime later in the day.
I am from the west coast with older teens and we are the sleep in and shut down the parks type of family especially with the three hour time difference. But I’m also a mom of four and remember how hard it can be to get little ones up and dressed and out the door!
Please explain why one person in my party can’t be in the park at opening and secure the boarding group for everyone? I get up with my coffee, head over to DHS, stand in line, enter, go on line and secure my family’s BG for later, go back to the hotel.
Does it really matter to the fairness of the process that five other tired/crabby people aren’t next to me when I secure our BG? Either way, I reserved a BG for a party of six. Also, I think it would help to keep the line down at the opening which would be a plus.
Those of us that travel with little ones, grandparents, teens that don’t rise til noon, different time zones, large parties etc.. would really appreciate this small change.
Thanks for listening!
Demand for the ride is so great that there has to be some sort of regulator on distribution. Needing to be there is a regulator. The easier it is to get a BG, the more people will want one. Additionally, being there means you're serious and will likely show when you are called.

What happens if you get a BG with a quick return time and your group is still asleep at your resort?

First come, first served is about as fair as it gets.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for listening!

I’d imagine the BG’s would be filled each day in a couple of minutes if it went this route. So, no thanks. I think that small change would cause a huge headache.

People would be booking from their friends and family lists, just In case they could entice them to come later. People would be booking for grandma/grandpa who maybe had no intention of riding anyways.

If they go this route, they might as well just use fp.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for listening!

I think it matters a lot. There are no "maybes" involved when everyone is present and has tapped in and used their ticket to enter DHS that day. I think WDW wants to get as many actual DHS guests onto ROTR as possible in any given day. With your suggested method, what would stop someone from getting a "maybe" BG time for someone who decides later on that they don't want to go to DHS at all or even getting a BG time for someone who isn't even in the area? Showing up in the morning and actually tapping in and using a ticket to enter DHS shows a level of commitment to riding the ride. As a party of 1 entering DHS and using a park ticket there, you are entitled to 1 BG time, not 6. Given the extreme popularity of this ride, I think that is fair.

I'd say they could consider making it so only one person is there maybe... perhaps once the ride queue of people willing to be there in the morning diminishes to a point where they could handle taking in the lazier guests. At this rate... well, who knows when that point will come.

Here now.

Its about as fair as it can be.
All be in the park when it opens and get in the virtual line.

No BG advantage to “lining up early”, no way to “sell, or transfer”, doesn’t matter when you booked or where your staying, or how much you’re willing/have paid. No the rest over slept, missed a bus, half didn’t come. Which would mess with getting as many through per day as possible. If Disney then “overbooked” to adjust for no shows, then even less opportunity for all, or more getting a BG but not called.

Everyone an equal opportunity and, at least currently it’s been, you’re in at park open, you’re getting on.

It’s even fair based on high or low number. Low ride now and go back and nap, High, go nap and come back. We’ve had both, and based on charts I had figured return time to within a half hour.

As to the variable of messing with ADR or other FP, the two hour window works well. There’s extra walking and criss crossing but the parks not that big, and with two entrances, furthest is ToT area.

The stressful part is the App process. But can’t say there’s a better solution.

Thanks for all the latest info on the process. I'll be giving it a go next week. Any reports on how smoothly it goes getting a BG for only part of a touring party? There are six of us (friends and family) on my MDE account but only five of us will be there before the crack of dawn to do this thing. The other person not interested in it. Is that gonna cause a hiccup in the system at park opening?

Thanks for all the latest info on the process. I'll be giving it a go next week. Any reports on how smoothly it goes getting a BG for only part of a touring party? There are six of us (friends and family) on my MDE account but only five of us will be there before the crack of dawn to do this thing. The other person not interested in it. Is that gonna cause a hiccup in the system at park opening?
No, you just pick the people from your friend and family list

This is exactly what I was afraid of when they went to the new system. There are not enough boarding groups for all the people logging in at 7. If I was them, I would go back to the old VQ method where you can join a BG right when you enter the park...but I know they won’t.

yeah, it worked for a while but now the crowds are on to them and know they just have to get there for park opening - not like 4 hours earlier than that, so more people willing to do that and just know to be on that second

it's like how the hackers are always one step ahead of the coders trying to prevent them ... Disney is just trying to play catch up to the crowds

yeah, it worked for a while but now the crowds are on to them and know they just have to get there for park opening - not like 4 hours earlier than that, so more people willing to do that and just know to be on that second

it's like how the hackers are always one step ahead of the coders trying to prevent them ... Disney is just trying to play catch up to the crowds
I still think this is the best possible system. Sure, the execution of the same could be improved by increasing the ride reliability, app reliability, speeding tap-ins. There are also downsides to this system (uncertainty being a big one), but compared to any other option this minimizes those. No matter what they do some people won't have a perfect experience. That fact is guaranteed by the demand vs capacity of this ride.

That was my fear as well and I said the one thing that could cause this to fail is if people in the park by opening cannot get a BG. However, I also realize that with any system, you're going to have problems this week. I think starting next Monday we'll see how it goes. I'd highly suspect that we'll see something closer to what we saw prior to the madness where most everyone in the park at opening was able to get a BG in the 50s or 60s and that backups won't start for at least 20-30 minutes. We'll see soon.
I hope you are right, but I highly expect this to not be the case with the current system. Here is why: Once the average guests have full information on the system. Anyone who would get a Backup BG 30 minutes after park opening simply would have the option of arriving 25 mins earlier and getting a guaranteed group. Most people will make that trade, and as such I don't see this as a likely outcome.

That said, one option Disney could implement as a "tweak" to alleviate the pain of not getting a BG for multi-day non ParkHopper folks is to offer a tap-in "Refund" until 7:30. That way if you don't get a BG you can go to MK for the day and try the next day.

I haven’t experienced it myself yet, but it seems like an improvement they could make to the BG grab time is an increased number of CMs roaming around with iPads or whatever they need to resolve tech issues.

I agree that the system as a whole is probably the best solution since crowds clearly will come earlier and earlier if there is benefit to being at the front of the pack. Definitely frustrating to run into issues with their technology though. I think that’s something that could be improved.

Selfishly I would really like to see them allow one person to grab for their entire party, even that given as a perk to onsite guests who can do it for people in their room to somewhat limit the numbers.

I haven’t experienced it myself yet, but it seems like an improvement they could make to the BG grab time is an increased number of CMs roaming around with iPads or whatever they need to resolve tech issues.

I agree that the system as a whole is probably the best solution since crowds clearly will come earlier and earlier if there is benefit to being at the front of the pack. Definitely frustrating to run into issues with their technology though. I think that’s something that could be improved.

Selfishly I would really like to see them allow one person to grab for their entire party, even that given as a perk to onsite guests who can do it for people in their room to somewhat limit the numbers.

I agree having more CMs roaming with ipads to help any tech issues would be great - and maybe hold some spots in "primary BGs" for moving people who have tech issues into those

I’ve been diligently following this thread even though our trip isn’t until Easter week. We do have park hoppers, so though our original plan was to only do one DHS morning, it can be adjusted if necessary depending on whatever they’re doing at that point.

The VQ seems like the best possible system they can use right now. Disney would clearly rather have disappointed/frustrated guests than a security situation they feel is not stable created by huge crowds gathering three to four hours before the park is open. Of course from our perspective some of us would rather have control over our own destiny even if it means we have to get up at 2 am. But from Disney’s perspective they probably have about the same number of disappointed people regardless, so how exactly they were disappointed isn’t a key factor.

The VQ also means people spend less time in line and more time buying things, which is ultimately what they want.

That said, one option Disney could implement as a "tweak" to alleviate the pain of not getting a BG for multi-day non ParkHopper folks is to offer a tap-in "Refund" until 7:30. That way if you don't get a BG you can go to MK for the day and try the next day.

This is a really interesting idea. I assume, though, it would require some IT implementation to “cancel” your entry into DHS on your way out so that the ticket doesn’t come up as being used in your next park. Of course, they could also do nothing and see this as motivation for people to upgrade to hoppers.

I agree that this would be awesome selfishly, but I also understand it would set up so many loopholes. And at the moment, there aren’t even enough boarding groups for the people who ARE in the park at opening, so I can’t see them extending boarding groups to people who are not in the parks as well.

I agree having more CMs roaming with ipads to help any tech issues would be great - and maybe hold some spots in "primary BGs" for moving people who have tech issues into those
Of course, now "late-arrival" would become a valid tech issue lol. Disney would have no way to distinguish the two events, unless they gave the CM's an app that checked for a tap-in time/BG sold out time, but even then the tap-in itself can have tech issues.....

I hope you are right, but I highly expect this to not be the case with the current system. Here is why: Once the average guests have full information on the system. Anyone who would get a Backup BG 30 minutes after park opening simply would have the option of arriving 25 mins earlier and getting a guaranteed group. Most people will make that trade, and as such I don't see this as a likely outcome.

That was one thing I also suggested a while back when they switched to this and have been waiting for the first report from someone with a non-hopper who was in the park at opening but only got a backup BG (no one at opening has yet been totally shut out within the first 30 minutes I beleive). Was curious to see if guest services would somehow allow them to go to a different park that day or add a hopper for that day (not sure what capabilities they have for that stuff but they seem to be able to do most things). Haven't seen a report from anyone who tried that yet.

Of course, now "late-arrival" would become a valid tech issue lol. Disney would have no way to distinguish the two events, unless they gave the CM's an app that checked for a tap-in time/BG sold out time, but even then the tap-in itself can have tech issues.....

I can almost guarantee that they can see the exact time a pass was used to enter a park. That's fairly basic technology for any system like this.

I agree that this would be awesome selfishly, but I also understand it would set up so many loopholes. And at the moment, there aren’t even enough boarding groups for the people who ARE in the park at opening, so I can’t see them extending boarding groups to people who are not in the parks as well.

Ironically if you wanted to maximize your chances at getting a BG, I think you would end-up in the same spot you are now, even if they allowed this. Here is why:
  1. Demand for BG's would sky-rocket, because it would be significantly easier to get BG's for large groups of people and even people who might not really feel like going, or only go if they got a guaranteed BG, etc.
  2. Due to increased demand created by point 1, the odds of any single MDX account getting BG/BG's would drop way down.
  3. With the odds of getting a BG at park open likely now being below 50%, the best bet is to have multiple "tickets" to the lottery. The only way to achieve the same would be to............. have multiple people inside at park open all trying to get a BG!!!!

Honestly - what's wrong with just not offering FP and letting people line up to ride it throughout the day? I know that's old-fashioned and doesn't make use of the super expensive My Disney Experience app but I might've had a chance to ride it yesterday after seeing the family off in the morning.

And if it's good enough for rise of the resistance why not do the same for flight of the falcon? (Or vice versa)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter