Im sure this is a fake email

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I know Ive seen this on here before but today DH got an email from an email address we dont know that says thanks for your order
nothing er ordered though
unfortunately he opened up the attachement it looked like an order something from norton and paypal
I have paypal but its under a different email

what I saw on here was if you click? or something from the senders email address it shows more or who its from or maybe came from

we do have life lock which is from norton but we sure didnt order anything

I know Ive seen this on here before but today DH got an email from an email address we dont know that says thanks for your order
nothing er ordered though
unfortunately he opened up the attachement it looked like an order something from norton and paypal
I have paypal but its under a different email

what I saw on here was if you click? or something from the senders email address it shows more or who its from or maybe came from

we do have life lock which is from norton but we sure didnt order anything
Delete from your inbox, and then from your trash folder.

Hover over senders address and it should show more info, but sometimes it really doesn't tell you anything.

Log in to your own PayPal (NOT through any link in that e-mail!) to make sure you don't see any new activity.

thanks all for the reassuring advice DH followed the tips and everything is in order
just as it should be
I was 99.9% that it was a scam but when I see those emails I sort of panic for a bit

Those Norton ones are fairly common. I don’t have Norton so know they are bogus. But have a relative who thought it was real.

The latest one I had was from PayPal. An email for a purchase I didn’t make showed up. A little while later it showed as cancelled and in the body said it was fraud and to call a phone number listed right there to report it.

Turns out it was all fake. When canceling the transaction, they were able to put that fraud alert message and phone number to report it in a section where they can input information. We tested it out and were able to do the same thing.

We get these a lot; usually our spam-filter pulls them so we don't even see them (but I also check the spam folder so I do know how frequently these come). BUT ...

unfortunately he opened up the attachement
I would be extra cautious because he opened an attachment. It may well have a virus or malware. PLEASE run a virus scan, and if possible use another device to change your passwords - especially on any bank, credit card, billing, paypal accounts.

I get a lot of those types of emails and just delete them. If the sender email address is NOT the official company email or came from something like @gmail.com probably bogus. REAL companies have their own email domain. The ones saying they are having trouble delivering some package (I currently have NOTHING on order) are common and scams. Opening/reading the text of an email will not cause a virus. However, do not launch any type of attachments since some of those COULD be a virus of some sort. I don't believe that opening any form of .pdf file can cause your PC any harm. Usually these bogus 'invoices' contain vague information and never shows your personal information which makes me think they send the same attachment to everyone. If you have never used netflix or some other online site, then clearly the message saying your membership has 'expired' is bogus. I assume they send this nonsense to THOUSANDS of addresses hoping to find a few takers. NEVER call any phone numbers listed since whoever answers that number is in on the scam.

IF you want to report something, go to the OFFICIAL website for that company and you can find a legit email address to report the problem. Likely they get a LOT of those, so it probably a waste of your time to bother doing that. Just delete the scam message and ignore it is probably the best use of your time.

I do think it is funny when the email uses such bad grammar/syntax it was clearly written by someone not very good with English...........LOL. ALL of those are scams.

Don't open emails like that. If it says they are from Paypal, and you didn't order anytthing, just forward them as an attachment to spoof@paypal and let them take care of it from there.

I get several of these every day in each of my various email addresses

Some of the email addresses are not used for much of anything at all, but got released in one of the numerous breaches.

I just delete and ignore them

just forward them as an attachment to spoof@paypal and let them take care of it from there.
I also do that with many of the phishing spams I get. If it is supposed to be coming from a larger firm, like PayPal, Amazon, the large banks, Microsoft, etc. I just do a quick search for "report phishing email for PayPal (or whatever) and forward the entire email with attachments to that firm. I presume they would try to search it out. Maybe not, but at least I try.

It might also be worth investing in some kind of longer range monitoring like LifeLock. While clicking on the link could have added malware to your system, including data mining tools like key loggers, it can also sometimes take a while for your personal information to be sold. You're on high alert right now, but it could be 6-8+ months before your data ends up in the hands of someone wanting to use it for criminal purposes.

I think most of these bogus emails come from unsophisticated individuals who HOPE you call them back and then give them various types of personal information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter