Is Cali Grill overrated?SideSA

As with any place you go expectations vs reality will vary. I think the California Grill is a place that has been so highly touted for so long that it might have a hard time meeting peoples expectations. That said we ate there 5/22 on our last trip. I had reserved it before but twice cancelled and this was our first time to actually go (and we have been going to WDW since 1989) We had expectations but went in knowing that 1) it was pricey, and 2) it was Disney and 3) it had received a lot of hype. We had 9:25 reservations got there at 9:15 and were seated immediately. The waiter was great and came and explained everything and asked if we were going to want to view the fireworks. We said yes and he said he would take our orders but not start delivering till after the show. We went outside and saw the show which on this night was awesome because for what ever reason the smoke from the show was gone in an instance and did not distort the next display. A breeze made it very comfortable and it was one of the best viewings of Disney fireworks we have ever had. We went back to the table and our drinks came and then we had the tuna three way sushi and I had the filet while my wife had pork tenderloin. The food was very good. One poster asked if the sushi roll was worth $26 and while it was not truly a roll but rather two presentations of marinated tuna and one three piece roll with tuna on top I must say that yes it was worth the price. I cook a lot and am in no way a food snob but will freely admit this was the best tuna I have ever had. It had a great fat content and it literally melted in your mouth. Not at all what you get in the typical sushi offering. The steak was tender and cooked perfectly and the pork was great. The quality of the tuna and meats were at the highest level and this no doubt contributes to the cost but I am okay when I can taste the quality.

Between the food and the fireworks I considered it a fair value and we enjoyed the evening. We will be back in September and at this point we will not be eating there then but would have no hesitation to book it again in the future.

Putting aside the view, is the ambiance quiet and refined and the food fabulous? After reading the reviews, I find CG either described as amazing on all points or a setting like a school cafeteria with food that was meh. This would be for an evening meal @ 7:10.

Interested in your take!

It's all about the view. If they took that away, we wouldn't go back. We've had hit-or-miss meals at Cali Grill and our last was a miss. The "sushi rolls" weren't really sushi rolls and were quite tough. My scallops were so spicy they were barely edible. On the other hand, going out on the observation decks with my DS10 was magical and our server was wonderful. Everyone's opinions differ, but if I had to pick a WDW signature solely on food, it would be Artist Point. I do continue to suggest Cali Grill to those celebrating something because the whisking-up on the elevator and the view are quite special - almost to the point of justifying the not-so-great food.

We've done dinner, and brunch. They were both fantastic! My dinner was the best meal we had on our entire trip. (My husband had the grouper and was not that enamored with it, he much preferred my tenderloin & polenta dish.) The brunch was incredible... it was pricy but it was incredible. I don't know that we'll do it again, but it was worth it at least once, especially for the mimosas!

We are definitely fans of CG. We've eaten there probably more than any other restaurant and never had a bad meal.
Quiet, it is not. Over the last few years, we have seen more families letting their kids run freely around the restaurant and not really care what their kids are doing.
That is not the fault of the restaurant. While not a cure, we have found eating there later has been better.

I'm a huge fan of Cali Grill and find it to be worth every penny.

Lately, I'm lucky enough to go for every seasonal menu - this current menu is probably my least favorite in recent memory - but it's always been worth it to me. I always request (and usually receive!) the same server, so we've developed a really great relationship ... he knows that I'm always going to order a glass of the sparkling rosé right before fireworks, so he doesn't even have to ask! :rotfl2:

(My husband had the grouper and was not that enamored with it, he much preferred my tenderloin & polenta dish.)
And this week-end, I had the black grouper as well, and it wasn't very good, certainly not a "top notch ingredient"!

My scallops were so spicy they were barely edible.
and there goes the inconsistency, in April my scallops weren't spicy, they were flavorless, again, if you're going to charge the price, then get top notch ingredients and execute in the kitchen.

I've had wonderful meals at California Grill in the last several years, but now this is 2 back to back. This is Florida, seafood should shine! Going back to DW in August, I'll do my fireworks viewing elsewhere and save myself some $$$.

The food is good. We go more for fireworks viewing than for the food. Three years ago, we stayed at the Contemporary, and we booked the California Grill since the menu was more to our liking than The Wave. We were given a table away from the action way over at the end which we didn’t really like, but we didn’t complain. Our server was rude and less than accommodating. The food was fine. We came back later to view the fireworks on the left deck, which was the highlight of our evening, maybe even the highlight of our entire trip.

We are returning this July in hopes that we get a better waiter.

Ask for Walter.

He's great (and smart he didn't add the automatic TIW tip because 'it's unprofessional to auto tip a guest" and wound up with a much larger tip! LOL! In other words he knew us and knew we appreciated his great service) )

I'm a huge fan of Cali Grill and find it to be worth every penny.

Lately, I'm lucky enough to go for every seasonal menu - this current menu is probably my least favorite in recent memory - but it's always been worth it to me. I always request (and usually receive!) the same server, so we've developed a really great relationship ... he knows that I'm always going to order a glass of the sparkling rosé right before fireworks, so he doesn't even have to ask! :rotfl2:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, you’ve given me ‘food for thought’:)

And Walter sounds like my type of server...if we wind up at CG, I most definitely will ask for him!

I so wanted to try brunch, but couldn’t/can’t get a reservation. Anyone want to trade a 7:10 pm reservation for a brunch, lol

We tried it and I think if we ever go back we will just get a variety of appetizers to share and then get dessert. It was ok, but didnt WOW me ...especially for what we paid...
This is what we do. Last visit we went at 5pm and ate at a table in the lounge area. I liked it better because we didn't have to plan, we just decided to go and then we ordered a few different apps and cocktails. We got dessert but it didn't wow me. The best thing was the (free) celebration cupcake.

Also, once I dined there and made the mistake of letting the waiter suggest a glass of wine for me. I'm a wine ignoramus and made the mistake of not asking the price - shame on me, and that was a $31 glass of wine. Which I guess is a thing, but not being a big wine drinker, I definitely wouldn't have chosen a $31 glass for myself!

I'm petrified of doing this. I always say the name, and the number, if there is one, and point to it on the wine list! :magnify:

Never be afraid to ask the price of specials or wines. Sivako!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter