Is Disney expecting high hopes for the live-action version of The Little Mermaid?

Do you think the live-action The Little Mermaid will be a hit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I have noticed that the upcoming live-action version of The Little Mermaid is now becoming the talk of the town and I think it will be a success for Disney when it debuts in theaters. Already there has been toys and merchandise released based on the movie and it tells me that by judging the success of the movie Disney will gain another feather in their cap thanks to this movie. I got the chance to listen to Hallie Bailey's version of Part Of Your World and Hallie sings it beautiful and flawless and Hallie Bailey as Ariel will gain the film fans. I cannot figure out how Melissa McCarthy was chosen to play Ursula but I think she will pull it off well. But I'm surprised that Ariel's sisters have different names and not the same names that the sisters had in the animated version. And who plays Prince Eric because whoever they have chosen will play Eric well
Dodger

Judging by how much Disney is promoting this film through ads, merchandise, etc., they do have high hopes that it'll do well. Regardless of my or anyone else's personal feelings on these remakes, they do well financially and are safe bets for Disney. The remakes based on Renaissance films (BaTB, Aladdin, Lion King) each made 1 billion in the box office. I'm not sure if Little Mermaid will make a billion, but it's not going to be a massive flop.

I have generally liked the live-action remakes, but I'm not sure about this one. I've watched the trailers and feel a bit ... dunno about it. I'm hopeful because I love all the songs (and I'm really curious to see what they do with "Kiss the Girl"). But I'm also wondering if will be the live-action movie to reign in all of the other live-action movies Disney has in the pipeline (which seems like every other movie these days).

It also seems weird to me that they're releasing Peter Pan and Wendy today and then the Little Mermaid just a few weeks later. You would think that a bit more space between live-action movies with so much cross-over appeal would have been good. Not that I won't go and see both of them! LOL

Personally, I don't think it'll be a big hit. But, who knows!! I will be seeing it, of course.

I have generally liked the live-action remakes, but I'm not sure about this one. I've watched the trailers and feel a bit ... dunno about it. I'm hopeful because I love all the songs (and I'm really curious to see what they do with "Kiss the Girl"). But I'm also wondering if will be the live-action movie to reign in all of the other live-action movies Disney has in the pipeline (which seems like every other movie these days).

It also seems weird to me that they're releasing Peter Pan and Wendy today and then the Little Mermaid just a few weeks later. You would think that a bit more space between live-action movies with so much cross-over appeal would have been good. Not that I won't go and see both of them! LOL

Well, Peter Pan & Wendy is direct to Disney+ only, so it won't really compete. In fact, it may serve as a primer for some - if they enjoy it they might go see TLM too.

Don’t all companies have high hopes for success?
I’m excited to see it because I love Halle. My only issue is that Ursula should have been played by a drag queen. That role is iconic and I see it as a slap in the face to the original inspiration behind the character.

Is it the talk of the town because Disney is promoting it or because tons of “news” outlets are picking it apart everytime something new about it is released?

I voted no due to mostly negative comments on the movie but could be completely wrong. Time will tell.

Don’t all companies have high hopes for success?
I’m excited to see it because I love Halle. My only issue is that Ursula should have been played by a drag queen. That role is iconic and I see it as a slap in the face to the original inspiration behind the character.
I grew up watching the movie, when did I miss that she was in drag? I thought she was King Triton's sister?

My mom and I have started to become obsessed with the live-action The Little Mermaid and when I was listening to Apple Music I showed Mom Hallie Bailey's version of Part Of Your World and my mom thought her version was wonderful. We then headed to Amazon and my mother and I were surprised at how many toys they have for The Little Mermaid and my mom and I want to collect some of the dolls too and ShopDisney has a whole section of nothing but The Little Mermaid toys and merchandise so I think this is a great sign that the movie will show promise. Every new Disney movie it seems that I instantly become a huge fan of just by learning about it

The Ursula character was inspired by a drag queen named Divine.
But still very much a female character who was voiced by a female. Although with the moves that Disney has been making lately (when they created the movie, or in the original source material, were there ever girls in the Lost Boys? Not everything needs to be PC, Disney...), I'm surprised they didn't choose to go that route.

I saw another preview this morning for The Little Mermaid and the preview showed a clip of Melissa McCarthy's Ursula singing Poor Unfortunate Souls and I think this is the other reason why fans will see The Little Mermaid because Melissa McCarthy's version of Poor Unfortunate Souls is just as great as the late Pat Carroll's. I also learned more info about this version of The Little Mermaid from People Magazine and it says that Jacob Tremblay of Luca will voice Flounder

I voted maybe. So I’ve never seen one of the live action versions in the theatre and I won‘t see this one there either. The reason why I said maybe is that I think the casting is odd as well as the changing names of the sisters and some of the iconic songs. Now for me this is purely nostalgic. Hallie Bailey portrays a lovely mermaid with a beautiful voice. But, for me, she just can’t be Ariel because Ariel has an iconic look And she looks like a mermaid not the mermaid. So this movie, in my mind, is for new fans who are not familiar with the animated movie. A new generation of kids might very well be enchanted by this live action re-make/reimagining of a classic story. I’m just not the target for this particular movie.

Speaking from a strictly strategic point of view, of course they have high hopes. But demographics will play into affect here and a large portion of the country simply wont see this movie due to the "changes" that have occurred. This will definitely affect the bottom line.

The early reviews are VERY, VERY good - (the FULL reviews have to be "quieted" until 5/22)--- Bailey getting early high marks !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter