Is Disney expecting high hopes for the live-action version of The Little Mermaid?

Do you think the live-action The Little Mermaid will be a hit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The early reviews are VERY, VERY good - (the FULL reviews have to be "quieted" until 5/22)--- Bailey getting early high marks !!

There is no doubt that Halle really brings it - it's the rest of the production that gives me pause. I am not sure how well it will resonate with audiences. Then again, Ariel is what matters most, and that seems to be right.

Reviews are very soft. Rumor is this will get middling overall reviews and be a movie that if you LOVE Disney live action redos, you'll probably like it...and if you don't love them, this movie will not change your mind, so you might want to D+ it.

The early reviews are VERY, VERY good - (the FULL reviews have to be "quieted" until 5/22)--- Bailey getting early high marks !!
I saw the early impressions and while everyone seems to agree that Halle Bailey is amazing as Ariel, they also agree that the CGI looks awful for the animals. That's about what I expected TBH.

I saw the early impressions and while everyone seems to agree that Halle Bailey is amazing as Ariel, they also agree that the CGI looks awful for the animals. That's about what I expected TBH.

I didnt like the CG for Ursula either, but thats just from the trailers

Reviews are very soft. Rumor is this will get middling overall reviews and be a movie that if you LOVE Disney live action redos, you'll probably like it...and if you don't love them, this movie will not change your mind, so you might want to D+ it.

Maybe, but these reviews arent going by "rumors"--- these are people that have already seen the movie

Maybe, but these reviews arent going by "rumors"--- these are people that have already seen the movie
Yes, I'm talking about them. They are not allowed to release full reviews, but social media posts. If you read them, you will see the "soft" nature of the posts.

No one has been allowed to post their "official" review (as of the time of my 1st post), thus the "rumor."

If you want exact info from the tweets - wonky CGI, overstuffed, lacks the magic of the animated, etc...

Edit to Add: Thus, this live action is no better than any of the other live action product before, and may be worse than some of them. If you liked that product, you'll probably like this - if you didn't, you'll probably want to save your money and watch D+/Redblox b/c this movie isn't gonna change your mind.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm talking about them. They are not allowed to release full reviews, but social media posts. If you read them, you will see the "soft" nature of the posts.

No one has been allowed to post their "official" review (as of the time of my 1st post), thus the "rumor."

If you want exact info from the tweets - wonky CGI, overstuffed, lacks the magic of the animated, etc...

Edit to Add: Thus, this live action is no better than any of the other live action product before, and may be worse than some of them. If you liked that product, you'll probably like this - if you didn't, you'll probably want to save your money and watch D+/Redblox b/c this movie isn't gonna change your mind.

Actually, from what Ive read... the "embargo" on reviews was lifted by Disney--- I believe it was supposed to be until the 22nd, but there were a ton of reviews posted yesterday-

So, assuming you have seen it ?

edit: Anyway, as far as live-action and Disney... my bar is already set low, but Im hoping to enjoy this--- Hearing Bailey is great, with applause and even a few standing O's after "Part of Your World" --- Last I will say on matter--- have a nice day.

Had the chance to see//hear Halle at the D23 Expo last year - one of the highlights of the Expo. Incredibly talented and I'm looking forward to seeing her in the movie. That being said, we've had mixed feelings in our family around the 'live' versions of some of these Disney classics. Some are good and some just seem like CG overkill. If nothing else, the return of Little Mermaid to the screen reminds me how tremendous the music is for this movie - one of the best soundtracks of any movie ever!

I think that Disney is hoping that The Little Mermaid remake will do well and be a Memorial Day hit. I also listened to more of the soundtrack and I can't believe how Daveed Diggs voices Sebastian because when he sings Under The Sea it is ruined and I guess they wanted Daveed Diggs to sound close to the late Samuel Wright but it just doesn't seem right to me. But Halle Bailey is flawless in her song For The First Time and I think this movie will win an Oscar next year

Just back, and honestly... its amazing !!! I think by far the best live-action remake Disney has done-- Bailey is perfect, and her chemistry with Hauer-King makes the movie. Not to mention that voice... wow !!! Will definitely see it again !

We went last night and loved it. Agreed that Halle Bailey was great as Ariel, and while I was a little unsure about Melissa McCarthy as Ursula but she did amazing as well. The chemistry between Ariel and Eric was great too and could actually believe their romance. Definitely one of the better remakes that Disney has done.

We went last night and loved it. Agreed that Halle Bailey was great as Ariel, and while I was a little unsure about Melissa McCarthy as Ursula but she did amazing as well. The chemistry between Ariel and Eric was great too and could actually believe their romance. Definitely one of the better remakes that Disney has done.

Totally agree about McCarthy--- thought she was great, and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" was brilliant !!

We just got back from seeing it and we loved it! We did feel that the budget went all to the CGI and the human costuming was lacking. And Eric was flat on his own only and was def outshined by Ariel

I saw it with my wife and we loved it!! Javier Bardem seemed a little intense for King Triton, and Prince Eric's singing was... something! 😅 But Sebastian was amazing and Ariel and Ursula were so good, and the songs were wonderful!

BTW, keep your eyes open when they go to the market and a woman hands Ariel a fork, as a very famous Little Mermaid hands it to her 🥰 (not spoiling, a lot of people missed it!)

Saw it yesterday afternoon and I agree with other posts. It was really good beautiful throughout visually and especially acoustically. I didn't expect to fall in love with the movie but there were so many moments that were just perfect to see live action. Halle's performance was beautiful. Naysayers had me concerned about the Scuttlebutt song but with Awkwafina playing the character it actually fit. I found it to be a hilarious moment that broke up the building drama at just the right moment. I think that scene only worked because it was Awkwafina.

I saw it with my wife and we loved it!! Javier Bardem seemed a little intense for King Triton, and Prince Eric's singing was... something! 😅 But Sebastian was amazing and Ariel and Ursula were so good, and the songs were wonderful!

BTW, keep your eyes open when they go to the market and a woman hands Ariel a fork, as a very famous Little Mermaid hands it to her 🥰 (not spoiling, a lot of people missed it!)

Yep... loved that cameo !!!

I think why people expect the live-action version of The Little Mermaid to be a hit is because I think Disney designed this version to be more like the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid and from the previews it does seem like it. But how they cast Javier Bardem to play King Triton is a mystery because he looks weird in the role but I think they cast him because they wanted somebody who can do King Triton right. I think The Little Mermaid will become the film of the summer because I think Disney is going back to it's old formula once again. And with Disney also releasing the film Elemental with Pixar the summer will be huge for Disney movies

Saw it yesterday afternoon and I agree with other posts. It was really good beautiful throughout visually and especially acoustically. I didn't expect to fall in love with the movie but there were so many moments that were just perfect to see live action. Halle's performance was beautiful. Naysayers had me concerned about the Scuttlebutt song but with Awkwafina playing the character it actually fit. I found it to be a hilarious moment that broke up the building drama at just the right moment. I think that scene only worked because it was Awkwafina.
I agree. The Scuttlebutt song worked alright in the movie. Gave some levity at the moment and I think the visuals also helped the song a bit. Hearing it from the soundtrack before the movie I did not care for it, but actually enjoyed it a bit within the film itself.
I think why people expect the live-action version of The Little Mermaid to be a hit is because I think Disney designed this version to be more like the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid and from the previews it does seem like it.
I don't really feel that it was ay closer to the original Hans Christian Andersen story. It plays out pretty much the same as the original Disney version. There are a couple little lines of dialogue that I felt were in reference to the original story but didn't actually impact the plot.

Really enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised by Melissa McCarthy. Also enjoyed Awkwafina's take on Scuttle. I thought a lot of the underwater scenes were really well done, but did not care for the choices they made with Flounder. Adding the backstory of why the land and sea people were afraid of each other was smart. I also liked how Ariel's sisters were more than just singers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter