Is Disney expecting high hopes for the live-action version of The Little Mermaid?

Do you think the live-action The Little Mermaid will be a hit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
there are folks that think that a live-action movie is the ultimate expression of a concept and that it somehow lends more legitimacy to it.
Well, Walt Disney sure didn't think so. He proudly felt his animators were creating fine art, and I totally agree with that.

The idea that remaking these classics using live actors improves them is just wrong. It's like "improving" the Mona Lisa by replacing the painting with a photograph of an actress with similar features. Maybe one with a nicer smile?

No...just no.

I don't really get it eiher - but there is definitely an audience out there that does. They make a lot of money on those remakes. Plus there are folks that think that a live-action movie is the ultimate expression of a concept and that it somehow lends more legitimacy to it. I don't feel that way at all, but that sentiment exists.
Before this one, they have done great overseas. That's really what makes TLM a little weird in this case, it has done really bad overseas.

Before this one, they have done great overseas. That's really what makes TLM a little weird in this case, it has done really bad overseas.
It puts Disney in a split. Probably the main reason for people abroad to see the movie is nostalgia and they want to see the same as what it was.

However their most important critics are in the US and telling them they are not re-newing.

Best is probably to go Maleficent / Cruella route, something new and interesting with existing characters. Same with Once Upon a Time.
Basically: Disney has to create its own fanfiction.

New enough to please US critics, but everyone in character to please overseas audiences.

I changed my mind when I decided to actually pay to see this at the Studio Grille Movie Theatre located at MargaritaVille Resort.
I originally had Open Day tickets at AMC Disney Springs…
I am sad that I allowed online comments , to almost miss this on the big movie theatre screen .
I caution to be aware : There might possibly be a lot of propaganda online to destroy Disney.
I loved this movie and the storyline is very interesting.
I saw it and did not find any reason to criticize.
I hope you get the chance to experience it eventually on Disney+ .
And then return to continue this discussion.
I truly hope this happens .

Life is very interesting to experience .

Also have to say : A big part of going to the movies is to see all the new trailers on the big screen !
Studio Movie Grille offered 1/2 hour of previews !
So excited for upcoming releases even tho’ many are already getting critical backlash.

I wonder if the weather in the UK/Scotland being a heatwave has impacted sales in the UK at all. It's been on my list to see but due to the beautiful weather we have been spending more time outside rather than sitting inside in the dark. Be interesting to see if it picks up next week when the weather is supposed to go back to cloudy.

I wonder if the weather in the UK/Scotland being a heatwave has impacted sales in the UK at all. It's been on my list to see but due to the beautiful weather we have been spending more time outside rather than sitting inside in the dark. Be interesting to see if it picks up next week when the weather is supposed to go back to cloudy.
I'm on the other side of the pond in the Netherlands. Also very hot here. But even before that I was randomly checking if tickets were available. And usually, even at the preferred times to take a kid to the cinema, there are always plenty tickets available.

I think if you wanted to see it, you have seen it by now.

But I do not know if it is the weather or if it the knowing that it will be available on Disney + at some time. The Dutch can be cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if parents don't want to spend their money on theater tickets if they can watch it in their own home. Especially with young kids.... it is over 2 hours long.

I do think Disney has sort of trained us to just wait and catch it on Disney+ in a few weeks. Was a great strategy for them during the pandemic, but is hurting them now.

A lot of people upgraded their home viewing situation during the pandemic as well, and now have a nice big HD flat Screen and a good surround sound system. So, the difference of watching a movie in the theater vs home, is not as big as it used to be.

I do think Disney has sort of trained us to just wait and catch it on Disney+ in a few weeks. Was a great strategy for them during the pandemic, but is hurting them now.

This I will agree with. They need to get back to a longer window.

I don't think there is an official release date for Disney + yet, but I saw somewhere late August / early September. But is it me, or would that be a strange time, because by then, kids are back in school.

If you release it at the beginning of Summer, you can park your kids in front of the tv and let them watch it for the entire month.

Just got an email from Disneyland Paris (AP holder) and it mentioned that the little show they have for the new movie will only run till June 23. It was there only for a month and stops just before the Summer holidays really start. What is that about?

Just got an email from Disneyland Paris (AP holder) and it mentioned that the little show they have for the new movie will only run till June 23. It was there only for a month and stops just before the Summer holidays really start. What is that about?

I think it's hard for many of us to understand how compact Europe is.

I don't know if you've been following the Apple TV+ plus show Ted Lasso, but there was this one episode that took place in Amsterdam (after a friendly with Ajax) and there's discussion over what to do on a day off without a curfew. The one Dutch player on the team advocates going to a warehouse party in Groningen that's hosted by his cousin. But the one French player on the team insists that the best thing they could have done was take a train to Paris.

I don't know if you've been following the Apple TV+ plus show Ted Lasso, but there was this one episode that took place in Amsterdam (after a friendly with Ajax) and there's discussion over what to do on a day off without a curfew. The one Dutch player on the team advocates going to a warehouse party in Groningen that's hosted by his cousin. But the one French player on the team insists that the best thing they could have done was take a train to Paris.
That's one of the things I love so much about Europe. Great rail transportation that is pretty darn cheap. Once you get to Frankfurt or Paris or London you can get anywhere pretty quickly via the high speed trains. The other thing is their incredible history and museums.

Lasso is a great show by the way, so incredibly well done.

One of my favourite things, the concept of distance. For us in the Netherlands a trip of over an hour is far, two hours very far. And that's just because if you travel three hours in any direction, you will be in the next country.
From Amsterdam to Groningen can be quite a trip!

I love taking the train to Paris or Disneyland Paris, 4 hours of relaxing and I'm there! Last year I took the new train between Amsterdam and London for the first time, it was wonderful.

I was listening to a podcast of two Americans going to our biggest (and most Disney-like) themepark, Efteling. And they rented a car from the airport and drove to Efteling.
The following discussion:
"How far are we from Amsterdam?"
"Oh not that far, it's only 90 minutes."
I was laughing out loud when I heard that.

Yep I drove 12 hours one way two weeks ago to attend a cousin's wedding in Texas. Us folks in The Colonies are used to long travel times!

I'm on the other side of the pond in the Netherlands. Also very hot here. But even before that I was randomly checking if tickets were available. And usually, even at the preferred times to take a kid to the cinema, there are always plenty tickets available.

I think if you wanted to see it, you have seen it by now.

But I do not know if it is the weather or if it the knowing that it will be available on Disney + at some time. The Dutch can be cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if parents don't want to spend their money on theater tickets if they can watch it in their own home. Especially with young kids.... it is over 2 hours long.
I think this is a big one-two punch for people that don't care about the casting. Costs for families to go to the movies is extreme. So knowing it will be out on Disney+ to watch as often as you want for no additional cost is great. And with families/kids being a big target audience for it, over 2 hours is a long time to keep a child still and behaved in the theater. So could see many families opting to wait for Disney+ or rental/purchase when it comes out that way.

As far as the casting controversary, I'm curious to see how the sentiments on it will be viewed years down the line. When you look at the Cinderella with Brandi, there was lots of diversity casting in it, but noone seemed to care and people love that version. Many people were excited when it was announced that she was coming back to play Cinerella in the new Descendants movie. However, it feels like if that same exact movie was released today it would get so much hate from people like this is.

As far as the casting controversary, I'm curious to see how the sentiments on it will be viewed years down the line. When you look at the Cinderella with Brandi, there was lots of diversity casting in it, but noone seemed to care and people love that version. Many people were excited when it was announced that she was coming back to play Cinerella in the new Descendants movie. However, it feels like if that same exact movie was released today it would get so much hate from people like this is.
I Ihink there are some things different with Brandi as Cinderella.

1. This day and age, colourblind casting is a much hotter topic today. Especially after everything that happened around this topic in the last few years.

2. They were definitely helped by not explaining anything and that they did it much more obvious. Black queen, white king, Asian prince.

Coming up with a story about Eric being adopted was unneccesary. Especially because they didn't use it to its full potential.

3. It was also helped by having big names in the cast who were also people of colour. Whoopi and Whitney being extremely popular at the time.

Halle had to do it on her own. The supporting cast of colour was not used in the promotion. Still a bit angry at Disney about it, they could have made it easier on her.

4. Cinderella has been told so many times in many different ways. There is less attachment to Disney's story because there are other versions, like Rodgers & Hammerstein, Ever After etc.

5. I think Disney underestimated how attached people were to Ariel. And I think that goes beyond skin colour. To me, I was 5 when the original movie came out, it was much more about how she moved and her hair. Under water scenes work much better in animation. It was like she was flying.

I think people who say Halle is not believable as Ariel have an issue with how she moves. She cannot move as freely in a live action movie. By making it real, you burst the bubble of suspension of disbelief. And I can imagine people might not realize that is what is off for them and get stuck in "it just doesn't look like her".

Last edited:
That's one of the things I love so much about Europe. Great rail transportation that is pretty darn cheap. Once you get to Frankfurt or Paris or London you can get anywhere pretty quickly via the high speed trains. The other thing is their incredible history and museums.

Lasso is a great show by the way, so incredibly well done.

My trial subscription ended last weekend so I have to make do with clips. But this was just so conveniently perfect.

There was the occasional Disney reference on the show. Let It Go of course, but also the fantasy scene in Sunflower at the burger place in Amsterdam where Ted thinks he under the influence of some hallucinogen and he’s thinking of the triangle offense.

Ted-Lasso-Triangles-Drug-Trip.jpg

A nod to the Disney educational film Donald in Mathmagic Land.

I was just thinking. Missing about 300-500 million dollar in theater tickets in Asia is one thing. What about merchandise? Merchandise is huge in Asia. How much money is Disney going to miss out on?

Came across this interview with Pete Docter from Pixar about Elemental, but he makes several remarks about Disney+ vs. going to the cinema.

Last edited:
Sadly, it looks like the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs remake might not be a faithful adaptation of the original animated Disney classic, either. Walt Disney was very proud of that version, and I'm still hopeful that Disney will be respectful of his legacy and creative vision. Please, Disney?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter