Is DVC slipping? Less service/MS/Resv?

dtheboys

HELP! Disney is going to bankrupt me!!
What do you think?
Is DVC not keeping up with the amount of sales?
Example: they keep selling memberships, but do they keep up w/ the staffing needed to run the additional clients? MS is terrible, you hold at least 20 minutes any time you call!
I called at 9:01 on Tuesday morning(7month window) and was told NO STUDIOS at all at BW.
That is hard to believe! That all rooms are already booked by BW members. I own at OKW, because when I bought that was all that was for sale.
I added on at VWL, and didn't even get a free pen, bag, nothing!
I feel like DVC is more interested in future sales, then taking care of on board clients. Once again, I'll use MS as an example. Once DVC has you signed up, just try and call MS, and see how long you have to hold?
I have added on twice at DVC, but it just seems like DVC is not keeping up w/ the amount of clients that they are adding?
What do you think?
PS: I'm not a DVC basher!!!! BUT, I just wanted to see what other members think?
Are you having problems?
Thanks!:(

Using the day after a Holiday (or Mondays) as a barometer for MS may not be entirely fair.

If you prefer not to wait, try to call later in the week (esp. Thursday evening). I never seem to have to wait at that time. The 7 month window for late March/early April is usually a very busy time with spring break vacations, so BWV being out of studios should come as no surprise. I realize that calling later in the week wouldn't have helped with that studio reservation, but it may have been gone last week already - reserved by owners. Perhaps if you try the waitlist.

You can also use email to contact MS. While it would be nice to have several thousand operators available for MS on Monday mornings (Tuesday after a Holiday), it is not practical to do that.

Seems like the 11 month priority may be important for some reservations. Have you tried for a studio at your home resort?

I think there might be some growing pains going on but nothing to be overly concerned about.

Doc is right that trying to get something for Easter Week is always difficult. This may also be making the phone lines busy. If you get on the wait list there is always a chance something will open up at BWV.

E-Mail is one way to avoid some of the "hold" time and to free up the phone lines. It's especially useful for doing banking and borrowing transactions. You get a written record of what you have done.

I might be mistaken, but i believe there was a blurb in the most recent vm about this time of the year is typically very busy on MS- that hold times would be bad early in the day and early in the week, etc.

I have had a problem with hold time contacting MS but it's not much difference than in the past.
I use a speaker phone and when I get put on hold, just hang it up and wait for an answer and enjoy the Disney music.
I would think that DVC hires the people and puts in the lines commensurate with how many members we have. After all we are paying for this service with our dues and if they are saving any money by short staffing, it is our money. Also as Doc says you can plan to call at probably less busy times.

PS. I tried to make 2 studios at BWV at the 7 month window for the week prior to the Easter prime time week. Got put on a wait list.

I think your missing my point? I know it is busier now, but it seems like any time of year that I call I'm on hold 15-20 minutes?
What about extending hours during peak season? Then as stated above you do not need to hire too many extra staff. Come on, even the mall is open later on Holidays, Christmas season etc.
Let's service what we sell!
I could only imagine if a Hurricane hit Florida, and your Insurance company put you on hold 1/2 hour and closed at 5:00pm! You would expect service! You would expect them to have additional staffing during the busy time.
I know I'm stretching it, but I'm trying to make a point!
I have called MS today at 9:00 and have received a busy signal all day. I have been dialing every 5 minutes or so. I finally got thru at 11:50 and it's now 12:15 an I'm still on hold listening to " It's a small world" for the 5th time.
Man!! Don't I sound bitter? Please! I really like DVC or I wouldn't care to write, but I just feel like the service has been going down hill since I joined? The change of rules, Maid service, etc. So I'm not the enemy, just asking "What you think?"
OH, It's now 12:27 and I'm still on hold! Also. you have no choice, but to call at the busy time if you want to get a room using your 7 month window. If you wait, someone else is calling and getting your room.

I've waited for >20 minutes but only on Monday or Tuesday. On Thursday or Friday, I seldom have to wait more than a minute or two. The worst wait time I've ever had was on the last day of a month -- probably more than a half hour. I didn't realize how many people call to bank their points at the last minute.

More specific to yesterday and today: I called yesterday afternoon and CM said that the BW computers were down and it would not be up until today, so maybe they are backlogged from yesterday. I can't get past the busy signal this am.

We pay for Member Services through our annual dues. (More staffing) = (higher dues).

We also pay for hold time. The "free" 800 number probably generates charges of around $3 or $4 per hour -- including hold time -- which we also pay through our annual dues. And, of course, we "pay" for hold time with our personal time as well.

There are undoubtedly times when Member Services CMs are waiting for a phone to ring and other times when members are on hold for a half hour. How can DVC balance the call volume to run an efficient operation? One answer is exactly what DVC is doing: encourage members to call later in the week -- but that doesn't address seasonal fluctuations. Another answer is to keep adding staffing -- but to some degree that will only encourage more calls, and we'll still be on hold.

We expect Member Services CMs to know what they're doing. Imagine a new member discussing point banking and borrowing with a seasonal temp! So temps aren't the answer.

With growing Internet access and a growing DVC membership, it's time for DVC to develop a Web-based Member Services capability. Typically such Web applications are developed through the use of a "middleware" package and a database engine, customized to meet the specific requirements of the application. (Unfortunately, DVC has such unusual functional requiremants that an out-of-the-box e-commerce package won't suffice.) It wouldn't be cheap, but in the long run it could substantially reduce the HR costs of the MS call center, while allowing DVC members to handle MS transactions online, around the clock. In this time of dot.com failures, there's available talent for Web application development. I wouldn't be surprised if half of all DVC members would use an online system within a few years of it becoming available.

One challenge would be how the online system costs would be charged to DVC members. Ideally, the development costs and server costs would be spread over several years.

I can relate to something you mention....being on hold with MS brings up thoughts of everything else that has changed over the years. Sometimes my blood starts to boil and I think the same way you are right now that DVC doesn't care. That's when I usually send a fax (or now an e-mail) with what I am requesting and asking for someone to call me back.

I think they do still care it's just that MS seems to run through these periods of time when they are overwhelmed. Just like with cutting back on coasters etc., they have to weigh the cost of servicing members with the increase in dues it would necessitate. It sounds like recent waits are pushing the envelope and hopefully there will be a solution.

Just a reminder again that the more we can use e-mail, the more we can save ourselves dues in the long run.

September is the second busiest call month for MS according to the message on the voice mail when you call (Is August first?)

I really like Werner's idea for web based reservations-the airlines already are doing this and even rewarding people with extra frequent flyer miles and lower fares to do so. Therefore it HAS to be saving them money in the long run. They are NOT giving away anything. Meanwhile-emails seem to be a very reasonable way to go...

What could DVC "give away" to get members(like the airlines do) to call later in the week, or use email more that would not really "cost" anything?

Paul

It seems to me that there would be no need to increase dues for extra staff to handle calls etc. After all, DVC is adding new members all the time, which means more dues. They probably wait to fill needed positions (like many businesses do) to save a little extra money. :(

Having done implementations and developed applications for two, 500 seat call centers, I can give you some interesting statistics. Now these obviously vary basis the nature of the business. In the one I was in, we found that one out of two calls was for information only. Here would be a typical DVC example:

"How many points do I have available / banked / borrowed? Can you tell me what availability is for OKW 2BR from June 1-5? No I don't want to do anything right now, I'm going to book the flights first and call back later"

An application to do the above is not difficult, even if they've got an old mainframe system. We have "webified" a lot of dinosaur applications where I work, particularly those that are just extracting information, not updating it.

Now, MS may contend that the ratio is nothing like 50%, and that's OK. But I can guarantee you that every person working in a call center would love to have those "information only" calls be moved to the web. E-mail and fax are OK, and can be used to smooth out the work, but remember, someone in MS is still punching that stuff into a computer and not answering a phone.

I'd much prefer to see investment into the above than attempting to staff for peaks, seasonals and the like. My experience has told me that you never feel that you are approaching the response level that your customers deem acceptable until you start to REMOVE WORK.

CRobin....gotta agree.

Information Systems are the way to handle the influx. I'm amazed it hasn't already been done. Does the board believe the DVC booking structure is so complicated that it can't handled by today's technology. I hardly think so. So (and I don't mean to sound like a Rumor board post), what is the Board of Directors logic.

I agree that type of access is needed and would help with the MS phone load.

DVC had intended for that type of system to be online, but has been mired by restraints higher up in the corporation. I expect the program will get untracked at some time, but don't hold your breath!

Stay Tuned!

To answer the original question...........based on our experience averaging four trip annually......NO:cool:

In the past, DVC always cited early January as the busiest (not August). Families are together over the holidays and then they call to make their plans for the upcoming year was the explanation given.

I'm guessing that another deterrent to spending a lot to put in an on-line reservation system may be the members. There are still an awful lot of people who are not using the Internet or even computers. DVC keeps trying to build a database of member e-mails. If that isn't very large, they may not feel we are ready to go on-line yet. There may also be some other considerations to letting members book their own. It seems holding multiple reservations and making multiple changes would be likely to increase. It will also make it easier to set up a "rental business" if members bypass the middle man. Maybe something can be built in to prevent abuse.

I think that DVC is doing a good job handling the MS calls, there are times when you are on hold for 15 to 20 minutes, but with 50 thousand plus members I don't think that is bad. There is always the e-mail, or call back towards the weekend, as stated Mondays are the worst. Besides if they add more MS people then the dues will increase then everyone will be upset! We called Tuesday and got through in about 5 minutes, which is very good for the day after Labor day.

Originally posted by Werner Weiss
With growing Internet access and a growing DVC membership, it's time for DVC to develop a Web-based Member Services capability...
One challenge would be how the online system costs would be charged to DVC members. Ideally, the development costs and server costs would be spread over several years.

Jeez! It's about time. What's the problem here? Everyone has a DVC account number, I've booked a DCL cruise on Disney's website for $4000, how silly is it that they can't put up a simple reservation and member services application? Forget the challenge Werner, there is no cost - it is covered in the savings of being able to terminate a few of the current member services CM's, dropping the toll free 800 line, and being able to handle an unlimited number of new DVC members going forward. Development cost? Server? Werner - we're talking about Disney here. They have a website, webservers (where do you think the DVC website is hosted now?), and an army of programmers.

This is so silly. Then again, seeing DVC's aborted attempt at putting up a simple messageboard earlier this year that they advertised for the prior 6 months, maybe we shouldn't be so surprised.

Doc
I agree it will be some time before Disney gets it web sites and access more modern. If you have tried to do anything with any Disney web sites it nearly impossible. You would think as one of the biggest nedia company 's in the world the would have top notch websites and access not just for DVC but all aspects of the company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter