• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is it just me?

I've been entertaining with a charcuterie board as the app for years. I've never done a breakfast or dessert one, and those I do think are fads. the Italian cheese etc type is delicious, visually pleasing and easily presented. Yum!

I always pass on it. I prefer buffet setup style where items are individualized to avoid cross contamination.

I'm in the "love them, but don't need a fancy name" camp.

They actually remind me of "snack plates" my dad used to make at home 40 years ago. (I miss fondue, too.)

I think when you give anything a fancy name you can get different reactions - people will either think it sounds more fun that way, or they'll think it sounds snobby.

I can't eat them with my allergies, and my friends can't either (with different allergies), so I've always been a big fan of the homemade fresh fruit tray with or without a fun dip (which does not go in the middle, b/c then you might contaminate everything)...

It's the tastiest thing to have with sangria, and if I'm gonna have a party and drink my one glass a year, I want something perfect for it...

PS - Grocery store fruit trays are awful - never do them! No one likes that much melon at one time - one melon is ALWAYS enough (and many times, NO melon is even better:))...

DW and I have a fondue dinner several times a year. It doesn't seem "dated" to me, melted cheese with bread is freakin' delicious. As far a charcuterie goes, I like it but the markup at restaurants is obscene. At home it's a tasty treat.

Quite a few places the serve fondue here. Of course, I live in Switzerland :). Personally, I prefer raclette if I’m doing the “melted cheese” thing. My absolute favourite local “melted cheese”, though, is tartiflette (think very, very rich scalloped potatoes with bacon and onions). Perfect for after skiing.

I'm in the "love them, but don't need a fancy name" camp.

They actually remind me of "snack plates" my dad used to make at home 40 years ago. (I miss fondue, too.)

I think when you give anything a fancy name you can get different reactions - people will either think it sounds more fun that way, or they'll think it sounds snobby.
The funny thing is that you are ok with the French term Fondue... instead of melted cheese pot.

The term charcuterie has been around forever, it's just now becoming part of the American lexicon. It's not a fancy word, it is just that... a word with a french origin.

I'm surprised they're considered a fad, as I've been making and eating them for decades. I remember having pate with cheese and crackers and fruit when I was like 8 years old--that's coming up on 50 years ago! I like them, but to each their own.
They have become “trendy” with the younger set

Absolutely pro-charcuterie! It's made for some great gatherings of friends and family for us. Many options for many different tastes - and it's lots of fun to try new things in small bites. Never understood why the word charcuterie seems to rub some folks the wrong way! It's good food, small bites, and fun when paired with some good people and good beverages!
I love lots of options, but prefer them in separate dishes

Last edited:
I'm surprised they're considered a fad, as I've been making and eating them for decades. I remember having pate with cheese and crackers and fruit when I was like 8 years old--that's coming up on 50 years ago! I like them, but to each their own.

Yup, same here. We’ve had them for years and years and I actually get annoyed seeing people get all “trendy” with them. Like, I was doing that when you were a child, lady. Heck, my kids went to their first day of school with “charcuterie board” lunch - three kinds of cheese, two kinds of crackers, three kinds of meat, fruit, and a little sweet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter