• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is it just me?

I think they're very pretty but I don't particularly like the stuff on it. I like meat, cheese, fruit. No weird stuff, no olives, no pickled anything.... I think they're a waste for those with picky tastes.

Back in the day we called them “munchy trays.” 🤷🏻‍♀️

The trend that skeeves me out is the “Nacho Table” ones. People have posted videos and everyone is sticking their hands in them, licking their fingers and just…🤢 I can’t even begin to imagine the waste and clean up with those.

I'm a bit surprised about people calling it a "fad". I mean, I've only been loving charcuterie boards for the last 20 years or so. Maybe having fancy-schmancy boards for your home parties is a more 2010's thing, but I mean....it's meat, cheese, and accoutremants. It's been around since, like, ancient Rome.
I agree.

We have them at home at every get together which is a few times a month. Easy to make and very tasty. We also always order a Charcuterie at Hard Rock Hotel lounge and Base Line Tap House. They go great with beer, always tasty and never too filling.

I can't eat them with my allergies, and my friends can't either (with different allergies), so I've always been a big fan of the homemade fresh fruit tray with or without a fun dip (which does not go in the middle, b/c then you might contaminate everything)...

It's the tastiest thing to have with sangria, and if I'm gonna have a party and drink my one glass a year, I want something perfect for it...

PS - Grocery store fruit trays are awful - never do them! No one likes that much melon at one time - one melon is ALWAYS enough (and many times, NO melon is even better:))...
A few years ago my brother and his family were in town and he asked for my lasagna. Since that’s so heavy I just cut up a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies to set out. They were gone in ten minutes flat. Grocery trays barely get touched then roam around your fridge for a week before you toss them. Haven’t bought any since that day.

We have them at home at every get together which is a few times a month. Easy to make and very tasty. We also always order a Charcuterie at Hard Rock Hotel lounge and Base Line Tap House. They go great with beer, always tasty and never too filling.

Baseline is our go to spot for lunch at HS. DD loves their charcuterie board.

... experience the different flavors ...
Experience the different flavors? Yeah, that's Charcuterie talk.
I think those TV cooking shows help to popularize that name as well, something with a fancy French name makes it sound more exotic then it really is. Most people call it cheese/crackers when they put out snacks when having guests at their house. There isn't any one combination of items specific to this so it is whatever you like to serve. I agree as others said, that name will fade but people will still serve 'snacks' when having company.
When I was a kid, we made "Relish Trays" when we had company, the idea being to give people a nibble before the meal. Back then we usually had two types of cheese, olives or sweet gerkins, and a bit of veg. We didn't use meat or crackers. I always enjoyed making them.
Today we eat a Charcuterie Tray occasionally when we have what we call "dinner theater". By that, I mean when we want to watch something together -- like maybe the premier of Survivor -- and we sit on the floor and pick at the tray together. We sometimes have fondu the same way.
I would never order this at a restaurant. It's just chopped up meat and cheese. I wouldn't pay someone to do that.
I'm a bit surprised about people calling it a "fad". I mean, I've only been loving charcuterie boards for the last 20 years or so. Maybe having fancy-schmancy boards for your home parties is a more 2010's thing, but I mean....it's meat, cheese, and accoutremants. It's been around since, like, ancient Rome.
Pretty much anything that's a fad has been around a long time (I mean, consider the various toasts that were all the rage a few years ago), but they capture the limelight for a moment.
Charcuterie is just a Lunchable that majored in Musical Theater.
I liked that.

Back in the day we called them “munchy trays.” 🤷🏻‍♀️

The trend that skeeves me out is the “Nacho Table” ones. People have posted videos and everyone is sticking their hands in them, licking their fingers and just…🤢 I can’t even begin to imagine the waste and clean up with those.
I totally agree. Disturbing!

Oh yeah. All about the fun charcuterie trays. Mainly as an appetizer or dessert. Been doing it for years. Trader Joe’s here in CA has the ultimate board treats. Great sections of cheeses, crackers, nuts, chocolate, etc. There is a super cute store across from my TJ’s that has a whole charcuterie accessory section to shop for boards and perfect serving utensils.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm 48 & I recall my folks having what is known as a charcuterie. We had a version of it last night, steamed shrimp, cheese, crackers, olives, peanuts, roasted venison slices, pickles...I think it is what you make of it. For us it was about using up leftovers and getting creative sometimes!

DS10 has taken the concept of ham, cheese and crackers to the next level with a snack he calls "salami crackers." Place a single layer of Ritz crackers on a microwave-safe plate. Put salami on top of each cracker and then put cheddar cheese on top. Microwave them until the cheese melts. Super yummy

I've been loving charcuterie boards for years.
I even love the name. :)
I do agree with the OP though. Put the crackers in a separate basket.

I make a 'giant snack plate' for my family if we are playing board games or doing a puzzle. It's just the 4 of us, so I don't worry about their germy hands touching the food because their germy hands are touching everything in the house. I use little bowls for stuff that needs to be contained like nuts or berries that could make crackers soggy if they touched.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter