It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – an offsite, non-Disney, Christmas TR

Arriving back at the Vistana, we wasted no time in changing into our suits and making our way to the Fountains pool :beach:. It was hot and sticky, and we wanted nothing more than to cool off and just relax and splash the afternoon away. Being such a warm and humid day, the pool was busy and there were lots of people both swimming and stretched out on the poolside loungers. The masseur located between the pool and the hot tubs was also kept hopping with a steady stream of clients, the first time we have ever seen them busy in all the trips we have made to the resort. We spent a good couple of hours in the water, listening to the music and people watching as we remarked that this was EXACTLY the way Christmas vacation should be spent ::yes::.

Around 4:30 or so, the boys were starting to get some rumbly tummies…..with our late morning character breakfast, we had skipped lunch entirely and hadn’t even grabbed a snack at any point. We dragged ourselves from the pool and returned to the villa to dry off and dress for dinner. Steve was anxious to introduce Jake to a new favourite of ours that he hadn’t yet experienced, so once we were fresh and ready to roll, we hopped in the Equinox and made the short drive past the Crossroads to Millers Ale House.

It actually worked out nicely that we were there before the major dinner rush. While it was starting to get busy around the time we arrived, we were able to get a parking space and were seated a booth with no wait at all. It was “rib night” at Millers, so we knew that open tables would be much more scarce in another hour or two.

They guys were pretty peckish by this point, so along with our beverages (water for the boy and I, a pint of beer for the big fella….only $2.50 and cheaper than a soft drink!!) we ordered up a couple of appetizers to share between us, specifically fried mozzarella:

…and a barbecued chicken flatbread (half with red onions, half without):

The flatbread (valued at $7.99) was free with a sign up for the Millers Raving Fans email club :).

Both items arrived really quickly, piping hot and were mouthwateringly good. Jake indulged me in a cheese stretching photo for old times’ sake….it was his “thing” on trips when he was younger :p. These fried mozzarella sticks were REALLY thick and substantial, so I am pretty sure we could have stretched that cheese right over to the next booth if we were feeling adventurous. These were not your average sticks of fried cheese!

We polished off every crumb of the appies, and our server (who was excellent) was quick to clear away our plates in preparation of the arrival of our entrees. We had just a nice little wait before our platters appeared, with cautions from our waitress to be mindful of some of the plates because they were hot, hot, hot (and true to her warnings, they were ::yes::).

Much as I wanted to be adventurous and try something different from their vast menu, I loved their chicken parm so much on our first visit that I decided I simply MUST repeat the experience. Yet again, the portions were simply MASSIVE…..and I had enough chicken on my plate to feed us all, along with a staggering quantity of spaghetti and toasted garlic bread to top it all off.

As you may have suspected, Steve went right for the special of the day, a full rack of ribs, which were accompanied by French fries and coleslaw.

The Little Big Guy opted for their signature Zingers with garlic parmesan sauce, and a basket of fries (which ended up to be WAY more food than any of us had anticipated):

We opted out of any kind of dessert. Their options didn’t really appeal, and we were much too full anyway.

There is absolutely nothing that we can’t rave about as far as this meal was concerned. Food quality, portion sizes, taste, service, prices…..everything was top notch. For value and quality, Millers really is extremely tough to beat and it’s easy to see why it’s packed literally every night of the week. Our bill totalled $48.78 with tax (not including tip), so we paid our server and headed out into the warm evening air.

Rather than head straight back to the resort (we had nothing else formally planned for the evening), we decided to return to the Nike Clearance Store in Kissimmee to give Jake the chance to do a little more shopping. There were a few additional items he wanted to pick up (now that he had surveyed the options at both the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores and the Premium Outlet), and was anxious to spend the rest of his shopping budget. On the way there, we encountered the first heavier traffic of the trip (the 535 was SUPER busy) but other than making the short journey a little slower than normal, it wasn’t problematic. No stoppages or issues to report. :drive:

The boy shopped, shopped, shopped and left with a virtually empty wallet and bags full of sportswear. In addition to his full sized suitcase (which is large enough to fulfill the maximum dimensions allowed by Jetblue), he had brought an empty carry on to help handle his purchase load. Good thing, too, because he was going to need all that space by the looks of things!! :crazy2:

After leaving the Nike Store, I casually inquired if we should pick up something sweet to bring back to the resort and enjoy after our hot tub time later that evening. Something, say, from Krispy Kreme….since we’re here in Kissimmee anyway, you know. To make the drive out worthwhile. Yeah, that’s the reason :rolleyes1.

The guys jumped at the chance. Rather than turning right onto the 535, our chauffeur navigated us down the 192 until we saw the sign:

Lo and behold, we had timed it just perfectly…..the “hot doughnuts now” sign was lit and shining like a beacon in the night sky! :banana:

Don’t worry. The boys didn’t trample anyone on the way in the door :laughing:. Surprisingly, we were the only ones in the whole store :confused:.

Walking into the tiny building, it was hard to miss the hundreds of warm donuts rolling happily down the conveyor belt. Mmmm….the smell was sinful all on its own :cloud9:.

In addition to the hot glazed donuts, we surveyed the other specialty options and worked on making those agonizing vacation decisions that we all love to be faced with: how do we narrow it down to “just” 12? :confused3

They had several different festive creations, including cheery snowmen (filled with fluffy whipped cream) and adorable Santa Bellies (filled with chocolate cream) for a 20 cents each upcharge on the price for the dozen. It was Christmas, after all, so we had to try them :santa:.

Total cost for the order: $10.14 with tax.

I would like to say the guys made it back to the villa before they indulged….or heck, even back to the Equinox!!....but they didn’t make it beyond the small tables right inside the shop :rotfl2:. Quite obviously, we are immediate gratification people!! They dug into those hot doughnuts like they were their lifeline to survival…..and right then and there, they became Krispy Kreme hot doughnut fans for life. You have never heard such oooohing and ahhhhing and contented sighing in your life. The iPhone was whipped out, Instagram photos were taken, and they announced to the internet world that they had found heaven at a little shop in central Florida :goodvibes.

Still full from dinner, I had one of the snowmen and left the boys to devour the hot doughnuts on their own (despite their insistence that I simply MUST give them a try). Thank goodness its Christmas and calories don’t count during the holiday season. That’s our story and we’re sticking to it :rolleyes2.

We snaked our way back up a very congested 535 and returned to the villa with the balance of our box of doughnuts, poured ourselves some adult beverages into plastic cups, and headed straight for the hot tubs. Again that night we met up with our new friends from Wisconsin (who announced with a laugh "well, its about time you guys got here!!", and again we spent a most leisurely warm night under the twinkling of the stars. "Peace on Earth" indeed :santa:.

Our Tuesday is up next!

What a great eveing. Millers is on our to do list. Love the christmas themed krispy kremes. We alsonoticed a krispy creme up near millenia mall this time which is easier for us if we are staying at Universal.

Mmmmmm...hot doughnuts now...

The first time I had them was late one night in Gainesville. Two buddies and I bought a dozen off the conveyor (right after they had passed through the curtain of hot, sugary yumminess), essentially inhaled them, then realized we needed another dozen! Needless to say, I was not the least bit worried about calories...

'Ohana breakfast is AWESOME! We've done it more times than I can count and it's booked again for DD's birthday in March. A few years back we took my BFF and her son. Stitch sat down at our table and took all the eggs from the platter put them on his plate and tried to force feed my friends son. When that didn't work he started tossing the eggs over his shoulder. Our server was less than impressed but we enjoyed the show.

I've also got a brother that doesn't listen. He will ask for my advice on a subject that I'm an expert in but take none of it. He then does his own thing with bad results and complains about it. At this point, I expect nothing less from him. Love him dearly anyway.

If you get called George you're doing OK. My oldest brother had a name for me that I HATED with a passion. I still hate it and every once in a while my mom will tell someone to call me by that name. She thinks it's funny, knowing full well that I have hated it since I was a kid.

So Krispy Kreme was empty???? Who the heck were they making all those doughnuts for? One of my friends ate a whole dozen of the glazed ones once and ended up in the hospital. The high amount of sugar caused some sort of liver problem.

Hitting the Krispy Kreme when that "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign is on is the best time of day, no matter what time it is! I think I need to visit our local one pretty soon.....

There is absolutely nothing that we can’t rave about as far as this meal was concerned. Food quality, portion sizes, taste, service, prices…..everything was top notch. For value and quality, Millers really is extremely tough to beat and it’s easy to see why it’s packed literally every night of the week

Okay, Gina, you are NOT good for my plans to go anywhere other than Orlando for vacation!! Every trip report brings more amazingly delicious looking meals to try. When was your previous trip there? I read all (I think) of your previous trip reports so I need a place to look for the previous experience!! Apparently there is at least one Millers Ale House on the other side of Atlanta but I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hear they have great trivia though.

Great donut conveyor pics! We have a lot of Krispy Kreme locations here in Atlanta so you would think the novelty would wear off... Nope, every time they're in the break room at work I'm eating them.

I can't count how many times I've heard about those ribs at Millers since our trip last March. Every time DH sees ribs on a menu here he starts "At Miller's you get twice as much for...". I can't wait to take him back.

Also I think I blew my healthy eating for the day just reading about Krispy Kreme!! I can't believe there is an actual conveyer belt. I'm thinking that that will be one of my planned indulgences for our upcoming trip!

Wow! I can't believe it was a 150 minute wait for Santa! :eek: Disney may have to add a Fastpass to see him! LOL! ;)

Love hot Krispy Kreme donuts! :love: For a little over $10, you got a dozen of Krispy Kreme's hot, yummy donuts. That's cheaper than the Olaf apple at Disney Springs! :faint:

Hey Gina, my parents are going to be joining us in Florida this fall but they don't want to stay on site at Disney. You speak so highly of the Vistana I wanted to suggest it to them. Do you stay at the one in Lake Buena Vista or on International Drive?

I have to drive by a Krispy Kreme every day I work-and a Dunkin Donuts opened up right across the street from KK-I have to find a new route to work due to traffic now :rotfl2:

Millers Ale House has become a fairly new tradition of ours now-Happy Hour prices are great (good news when feeding 5 mouths-cheap apps and the portion sizes are very nice).

So sorry on the wait for Santa! We didn't even get a pic with Santa this year-we go to our local city hall for pancakes with Santa or to Bass Pro-didn't make it to either this year:sad:. On a side note-Bass Pro (World HQ here in Springfield MO) was giving out "bass passes" with a predetermined return time to see Santa (had to go first thing in am when store opened - first come first served until ran out)---sound familiar???

All these yummy food pics and descriptions made me make Sizzling Chicken and Cheese skillets (from TGIFridays) tonight (we are definitely not in diet mode around here).

What a great eveing. Millers is on our to do list. Love the christmas themed krispy kremes. We alsonoticed a krispy creme up near millenia mall this time which is easier for us if we are staying at Universal.

I think you'll really like Millers Ale House. I'm pretty sure there's one on Kirkman, right near Uni :thumbsup2 .

Mmmmmm...hot doughnuts now...

The first time I had them was late one night in Gainesville. Two buddies and I bought a dozen off the conveyor (right after they had passed through the curtain of hot, sugary yumminess), essentially inhaled them, then realized we needed another dozen! Needless to say, I was not the least bit worried about calories...

lol, as we were heading into the store, I said to the guys....JaxDad will be so proud of us! We're finally trying the hot doughnuts! They both looked at me blankly and said....WHO? Then they exchanged a glanced, nodded knowingly, and both at the same time said "Oh, Disboards". :lmao:

Yum, hot donuts.

It's going to be hard to go back to "regular" Christmases after this trip!

Sigh....you know it :sad2:.

Steve has been in Plymouth, Michigan since Monday for work. He texted me to say he bought tickets for the Powerball lottery. If we win, I'll be hosting a big Christmas 2016 bash at the Vistana, and I'll fly ya'll down to help us celebrate the season. And that's a promise :thumbsup2 .

'Ohana breakfast is AWESOME! We've done it more times than I can count and it's booked again for DD's birthday in March. A few years back we took my BFF and her son. Stitch sat down at our table and took all the eggs from the platter put them on his plate and tried to force feed my friends son. When that didn't work he started tossing the eggs over his shoulder. Our server was less than impressed but we enjoyed the show.

I've also got a brother that doesn't listen. He will ask for my advice on a subject that I'm an expert in but take none of it. He then does his own thing with bad results and complains about it. At this point, I expect nothing less from him. Love him dearly anyway.

If you get called George you're doing OK. My oldest brother had a name for me that I HATED with a passion. I still hate it and every once in a while my mom will tell someone to call me by that name. She thinks it's funny, knowing full well that I have hated it since I was a kid.

So Krispy Kreme was empty???? Who the heck were they making all those doughnuts for? One of my friends ate a whole dozen of the glazed ones once and ended up in the hospital. The high amount of sugar caused some sort of liver problem.

Okay, so inquiring minds want to know....what name did your brother call you? C'mon, I wont use it against you ;) . You can always PM me if you don't want to post it publicly :teeth:.

Hitting the Krispy Kreme when that "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign is on is the best time of day, no matter what time it is! I think I need to visit our local one pretty soon.....

I have to agree!! I am almost glad there's not one anywhere near our hometown, though. I don't think I'd ever grow sick of them!!! :blush:

Okay, Gina, you are NOT good for my plans to go anywhere other than Orlando for vacation!! Every trip report brings more amazingly delicious looking meals to try. When was your previous trip there? I read all (I think) of your previous trip reports so I need a place to look for the previous experience!! Apparently there is at least one Millers Ale House on the other side of Atlanta but I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hear they have great trivia though.

Great donut conveyor pics! We have a lot of Krispy Kreme locations here in Atlanta so you would think the novelty would wear off... Nope, every time they're in the break room at work I'm eating them.

We first tried Millers on our October 2015 trip. If you have trouble finding that specific entry in that report, let me know and I'll post the link for you :thumbsup2 .

I can't count how many times I've heard about those ribs at Millers since our trip last March. Every time DH sees ribs on a menu here he starts "At Miller's you get twice as much for...". I can't wait to take him back.

Also I think I blew my healthy eating for the day just reading about Krispy Kreme!! I can't believe there is an actual conveyer belt. I'm thinking that that will be one of my planned indulgences for our upcoming trip!

The value at Millers is just so awesome.....which is good, because it makes me feel less awful when I think of the meal cost with the exchange rate factored in. I honestly don't know how they offer racks of ribs and prime rib dinners so cheaply! Americans would faint if they saw what similar meals are worth here in Canadian restaurants.

Wow! I can't believe it was a 150 minute wait for Santa! :eek: Disney may have to add a Fastpass to see him! LOL! ;)

Love hot Krispy Kreme donuts! :love: For a little over $10, you got a dozen of Krispy Kreme's hot, yummy donuts. That's cheaper than the Olaf apple at Disney Springs! :faint:

And we would much rather have the donuts than a candy apple!! (none of us are fans)

I believe they were giving out pagers for Santa. I think I read it somewhere online (maybe here on the Dis?) but we didn't even bother to inquire. 150 minutes was too long, pager or no pager!! :crazy2:

Hey Gina, my parents are going to be joining us in Florida this fall but they don't want to stay on site at Disney. You speak so highly of the Vistana I wanted to suggest it to them. Do you stay at the one in Lake Buena Vista or on International Drive?

We own (and stay) at the Resort, which is in LBV. The Villages, SVR's sister property, is the one on I-Drive :thumbsup2 . They are definitely easily confused!! Check the prices on Skyauction, if they are looking for a week's stay with a weekend check-in. Their prices can be much better than through Sheraton directly.

I have to drive by a Krispy Kreme every day I work-and a Dunkin Donuts opened up right across the street from KK-I have to find a new route to work due to traffic now :rotfl2:

Millers Ale House has become a fairly new tradition of ours now-Happy Hour prices are great (good news when feeding 5 mouths-cheap apps and the portion sizes are very nice).

So sorry on the wait for Santa! We didn't even get a pic with Santa this year-we go to our local city hall for pancakes with Santa or to Bass Pro-didn't make it to either this year:sad:. On a side note-Bass Pro (World HQ here in Springfield MO) was giving out "bass passes" with a predetermined return time to see Santa (had to go first thing in am when store opened - first come first served until ran out)---sound familiar???

All these yummy food pics and descriptions made me make Sizzling Chicken and Cheese skillets (from TGIFridays) tonight (we are definitely not in diet mode around here).

Mmm.....sizzling chicken and cheese skillets......:cloud9: .

I am happy to report that we did get a family pic with Santa before our vacation was over. You'll just have to stay tuned a bit longer for that update :santa: .

Love your trip report. I did not realize you were at Polynesian on 12/21. I was there too that morning! I just missed you as we just were leaving.

Tuesday, December 22nd:

Again this morning, our internal clocks had us awake as the sun came up (maybe even before), so we decided to make the best of it and use that early rising tendency to our advantage. We had decided the night before that today would tentatively be the morning we’d sneak to Universal for a couple of hours while Jake enjoyed a morning of much-needed slumber. I use the word “sneak” loosely, as Jake was well aware of our intentions and would not be shocked to find the villa empty if he happened to wake earlier than we expected, and rather thought he was getting the better end of the deal (though he made us promise to bring him a Cinnabon from CityWalk upon our return). So, rather than lounging lazily in bed for an extra hour or two, we showered, grabbed a light breakfast of cereal and coffee, and headed out the door for the short jaunt up the I4 :car:.

Knowing that there would be huge crowds this close to Christmas, our plan was to be at the parks as close to the 8 am opening as possible. The I4 was remarkably clear for the journey, and we were parked (free in the preferred section with our annual passes) and on our way into Citywalk in record time. Security had been amped up significantly that morning (much more so than we had ever seen it on previous visits, with the exception of on Halloween Horror Nights) so the only backlog we encountered was at the security and bag check.

Once finally through the security check-point, I let Steve decide which park we would enter at. He opted for Islands of Adventure (which I already knew he would pick, even before he answered....he's not shy about letting me know that it’s his favourite park :)).

We weren’t really here to do anything in particular, just to stroll around a bit and see some of the holiday decor while enjoying yet another sunny, hot, gorgeous Florida morning :sunny:. Walking through Marvel, we didn’t spot any characters out and about nor did Steve feel like riding Spiderman despite my insistence to do so. We opted to continue on through Toon Lagoon and visit Hogsmeade while it was (hopefully) still fairly quiet.

Once in Hogsmeade, we purchased a cold Butterbeer to share, convincing ourselves that we needed it to stay hydrated in the heat :rolleyes1.

Crowds were marvellously manageable at the early hour (busier than May or October, but definitely not crazy), so we enjoyed touring around, checking out the shops and storefronts (I never tire of that), and just soaking up the atmosphere we have grown to love in the Wizarding World.

When the Butterbeer was empty and we’d satisfied our Potter fix, we headed back the way we came to spend some time in Jurassic Park.

We checked to see if the Raptor Encounter had opened yet, but it turned out we were a tad too early: 10 am was the first encounter of the day. Sadly, we’d be most likely be gone by then, or shortly thereafter at the very least. We would have to put that off until our next visit in April.

I asked Steve if he wanted to ride Jurassic Park River Adventure (posted waits were at 5 minutes), but he claimed he didn’t want to get wet and strode onward with those long legs. He seemed to be on a mission, and I had an idea of where he was headed :rolleyes:.

Travelling back from Jurassic Park toward Toon Lagoon, we got a great look at the new Kong ride that is set to open in summer 2016, and were shocked at how far they had come in the construction process just since mid October. Amazing to see the progress that they had made....and this ride is going to be HUGE!! So sad that our AP’s run out before it opens :sad:.

Steve’s stride slowed considerably as we passed through Toon Lagoon......and he informs me with a smile that he thinks the Butterbeer has had sufficient time to kick in. Kick in for what, you may ask? Well, if you’ve read any of my previous reports, you’ll know exactly what my Steve’s favourite pastime is at IOA: conquering the sledgehammer game in the small carnival area between Marvel and Toon Lagoon. While we had been hoping that some Christmas minions would be available as prizes (something new for our growing collection at home, which has become rather infamous among my female neighbours) we were a bit disappointed to note that most of the prize options were the same fellows we already had. The basketball game beside the sledgehammer, though, had a vampire minion that we were both quite excited about. He was a tad smaller than the large minions available to be won at the sledgehammer game, so we inquired to the attendant....if Steve plays and hits 100, could we swap out the big guys for the vampire? A manager was milling about nearby, so the run it by her for approval. She says yes, so Steve hands over his $6.00 to play (apparently the price had gone up since October, when it was only $5). By now, I know my role in this: I hold his lanyard, wallet, and keys. I am a good wife :teeth:.

He grabs the hammer.

He flexes (in preparation for the game play? Or for my benefit? :scratchin).

He winds up popcorn::.

The first swing comes close at 96, and he assures me it was just a warm up. Flex, flex, flex! :cheer2:

Second swing....primal howl......DING! 100! :banana:

At this rate, I will soon have as many minions as Gru :p.

We were just getting started! With the “important” task out of the way, we headed off to check out the “Grinchmas” decor in Seuss Landing :santa:.

A vonderful Stuart? As they say, have not met a minion not liked. LoL

Love the decorations so far. I may have to stay a few days in USO this Christmas as last time we only went to part the sea of people at City Walk.

Last edited:
I checked out the Miller's Ale House menu online. How can they serve food at those prices?! I'm shocked, frankly. And I'm not even Canadian!!! Putting that on the to-do list. Even though the nearest location to my home is 20 miles away I may have to make a road trip up there...

I love Steve's enthusiasm for minion winning - makes me wonder who these little winions are really for... :laughing:

I sooooooooo.... love reading your trip reports!!!! I'm going to attempt my own this time!!! Figure it is about time after reading so many amazing reports and reaping the benefits of everybody's vacations!! I just hope I can make it as exciting and welcoming as yours!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter