It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – an offsite, non-Disney, Christmas TR

A vonderful Stuart? As they say, have not met a minion not liked. LoL

Love the decorations so far. I may have to stay a few days in USO this Christmas as last time we only went to part the sea of people at City Walk.

The holiday decor was quite different than I expected!! Lots of the Macy-type balloons, and Seuss Landing was all done up very well, but minimal decorations everywhere else. I find it so interesting to see how each of the different park families "do" Christmas differently.

Mmmmmmmm,mmmmmm,mmmmmmmmm Hot donut !!!

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

I wonder if the workers there ever get sick of them? I'm betting not :p .

I checked out the Miller's Ale House menu online. How can they serve food at those prices?! I'm shocked, frankly. And I'm not even Canadian!!! Putting that on the to-do list. Even though the nearest location to my home is 20 miles away I may have to make a road trip up there...

I love Steve's enthusiasm for minion winning - makes me wonder who these little winions are really for... :laughing:

I think you'll be VERY pleased with Millers :thumbsup2 . I will look forward to hearing your review!!

Oh, I can tell you who those minions are for ;)....the actual stuffie is for ME. But the ego boost generated by the ding of that bell is definitely for my Steve :rotfl:.

I sooooooooo.... love reading your trip reports!!!! I'm going to attempt my own this time!!! Figure it is about time after reading so many amazing reports and reaping the benefits of everybody's vacations!! I just hope I can make it as exciting and welcoming as yours!!

Yay! I will definitely be in for the read :thumbsup2 . It's a fun little pasttime after your travels are over, and it makes you less sad for the ending when you can start back at the beginning and share your adventures with friends. And ya know, you will be amazed at the things people will learn from reading your report. Sharing experiences is so helpful to others :) .

We own (and stay) at the Resort, which is in LBV. The Villages, SVR's sister property, is the one on I-Drive :thumbsup2 . They are definitely easily confused!! Check the prices on Skyauction, if they are looking for a week's stay with a weekend check-in. Their prices can be much better than through Sheraton directly.
Thanks for the clarification! I guess they got a "trial week" through exploria marketplace because they may buy in somewhere and the Sheraton Vistana was one of the options :scratchin

I love getting to the parks first thing in the morning, its so peaceful :) The christmas decorations look great, and the crowds dont look bad at all with it being so close to Christmas!

You never need an excuse for Butterbeer :thumbsup2

Steve was on a mission lol I'm glad you got another minion to add to the collection!

Cant wait to se your photos from Grinchmas!

lol, as we were heading into the store, I said to the guys....JaxDad will be so proud of us! We're finally trying the hot doughnuts! They both looked at me blankly and said....WHO? Then they exchanged a glanced, nodded knowingly, and both at the same time said "Oh, Disboards". :lmao:

Wow! I'm honored! I almost feel like I was actually on a Gina trip!

We'll have to do a DISmeet someday. We may pop down to Orlando the week after Easter, but I think that is well before your trip in April. We are thinking about just hanging out at Harbour Lake (I have some Marriott points burning a whole in my virtual pocket), and maybe do Escape Game and/or Outta Control Comedy Magic Show again.

Gina, I almost never read trip reports but I *love* yours! You really bring the rest of Orlando to life for me. I need to try to break the hold of The Mouse on me and get out and explore more. We re-upped our WDW APs again this year for $70 per person over our 7-day PH so we're still attached by the hip with the Mouse. Maybe someday ...

Thanks for the clarification! I guess they got a "trial week" through exploria marketplace because they may buy in somewhere and the Sheraton Vistana was one of the options :scratchin

I love getting to the parks first thing in the morning, its so peaceful :) The christmas decorations look great, and the crowds dont look bad at all with it being so close to Christmas!

You never need an excuse for Butterbeer :thumbsup2

Steve was on a mission lol I'm glad you got another minion to add to the collection!

Cant wait to se your photos from Grinchmas!

I agree....its well worth the efforts to get up and going when you see the differences in crowd levels from morning until afternoon. We would never have bothered to go if we couldn't make it there for near opening. I'm just not a good one to deal with massive numbers of people!!

Wow! I'm honored! I almost feel like I was actually on a Gina trip!

We'll have to do a DISmeet someday. We may pop down to Orlando the week after Easter, but I think that is well before your trip in April. We are thinking about just hanging out at Harbour Lake (I have some Marriott points burning a whole in my virtual pocket), and maybe do Escape Game and/or Outta Control Comedy Magic Show again.

If a Dismeet the last week of April isn't workable, we're planning to be back again in October. With the Canadian dollar the way it is :crazy2:, we may not be able to afford to do anything beyond SW and AQ with our APs but the villa is paid so plans are to go regardless of the exchange rate. It should just be my big guy and me, so it would be great to get together and say hello!

Gina, I almost never read trip reports but I *love* yours! You really bring the rest of Orlando to life for me. I need to try to break the hold of The Mouse on me and get out and explore more. We re-upped our WDW APs again this year for $70 per person over our 7-day PH so we're still attached by the hip with the Mouse. Maybe someday ...

Thanks Robin! That's a HUGE compliment from a contributor to the boards with your kind of Orlando experience :goodvibes .

I love the fact that there are always cool new places to visit in Orlando. It's what keeps us coming back, year after year!! We're willing to try most anything once ... except things like skydiving :rotfl2:.

Toting our vampire minion proudly along, we toddled off back toward the main entrance and then around to Seuss Landing. We knew this part of the park would be nicely decorated and were excited to see it all decked out for the holiday … or shall I say, “Who-liday”…. season :santa:.

There was a Photoconnect photographer there, so we stopped for a (rather dark) picture with our Star Card annual pass. We were certainly getting the value out of that baby! :thumbsup2

(oh, my Lord....look at my hair....did I mention how HUMID it was?? :crazy2:)

Neither one of us had any burning desire to ride anything (though we easily could have, as waits were minimal to none), so we just indulged in taking in all the festive décor. Very, very adorably done :).

Here’s a crowd photo to give you an idea of just how quiet it was:

Seuss Landing was definitely the best-dressed section out of the two parks when it came to Christmas decorations. It was nice, too, that it was applied in such a way that it still all “fit” with the spirit of that particular area. Very well executed, indeed.

From Seuss Landing, we headed back to Hogsmeade and caught a ride on the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley and it was virtually a walk-on (the only wait we encountered was for the next train to arrive). We toured around Diagon Alley for a bit, but it was growing busy as the morning wore on. We suspected the afternoon would be a challenge, indeed! We exited into London:

….and then headed over to Springfield.

On previous trips, Steve has been able to win me a significant start on a full Simpsons family: we had Homer, Bart, Lisa and Santa’s Little Helper all keeping the minions company in our rec room. It has been his mission to round out our little collection with the balance of the characters, so as soon as we approached the Sledgehomer game, I knew he wanted to play :rolleyes:.

There was a group of young lads (perhaps around Jake’s age…I would guess college or early university students) who were just paying for their chance to whack for prize. We stopped to listen to the attendant tease them a bit (they too were from Canada, so cue the Canadian jokes :p) and watch them take their three swings at greatness. God love ‘em, they came REALLY close (one of the young fellows hit a very impressive 98….and was so disappointed he didn’t come away with the large stuffed Duff beer can for his efforts) and the attendant crowned them “The Strongest People He’s Ever Met From Canada, Today”. As they walked away, Steve whipped out his wallet and handed over his $5 (apparently inflation has not hit Universal yet…..the $1 increase must be only an IOA thing). I took the minion, his wallet, his keys, and his lanyard and gave him a kiss for good luck :love2:.

It took him all three swings, but the bell rang out on the final attempt. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :cool1:

The Duff prizes didn’t appeal, so we asked the attendant if it was possible for him to swap out the gigantic beer can for a couple of the character prizes (which were being handed out at the other games in the Springfield carnival area). He readily agreed to get supervisor approval, so we waited a few moments while he ran it by his boss (who just happened to be at the adjacent basketball game, so not too far away). She gave us the thumbs up with a smile, asked which two characters we’d like to have (since Steve won a “large” prize, they were willing to substitute two “mediums” in its place), and we picked Marge and Krusty. I told Steve with his winnings for the requisite picture, and she shouted WAIT! You need the hammer! :teeth: . I like this girl :p.

We briefly considered a spin on the Twirl & Hurl, but it was now around 10 am and we figured Jake would be rising and shining fairly soon. Our arms were full of stuffies making riding more cumbersome, and crowds were thickening too, so it was good time to soon make our exit.

We passed some of the large balloons on our way through Hollywood to the main entrance. The one of Garfield was HUGE! (I didn’t know that Garfield was a Universal character)

There was a Photoconnect photographer stationed on the bridge outside of Universal……she was a brave woman. A tiny little thing, I feared she might be trampled to death as people beat a path to the park entrances. She was getting some good pictures with the infamous globe in the background, though.

We carefully navigated through the MOBS of people entering CityWalk to the Cinnabon store….people, at this point, were just pouring in like a tidal wave. Oh, what we don’t do for our kids!!

We were pleased to learn that Cinnabon gave a 20% discount to Premier Passholders (we weren’t sure that they would, considering they are not part of the actual parks) so Jake’s little indulgence was a mere $3.89 including tax. It almost killed me to smell that little baggie of deliciousness all the way back to the resort!!

We managed to squeeze our way through the masses to the parking garage without suffering any major perils (leaving as opposed to entering at that hour of the morning, we were definitely going against the flow of the traffic) and drove back to the resort with no traffic issues whatsoever. Jake was just getting ready to hop in the shower as we walked back into the villa, so he took a few moments and devoured his Cinnabon while it was still warm. Once he was refreshed and dressed, we decided to take advantage of the hot, humid, sunny day and grab an early lunch before hitting up Aquatica……we certainly didn’t expect a waterpark to be on our itinerary for a Christmas trip, but what the heck....why not! Admission would be free with our SW/AQ combo annual passes, so let's get the value out of them as much as we can.

Before we splished and splashed the afternoon away, though, we needed some sustenance. Our lunch entrees would be served up with a hearty side of sarcasm :rolleyes2. Dicks Last Resort is up next! :)

And again we were in the same vicinity lol. Tuesday was UO for us as well, but we started our day at Universal (heading straight to Diagon Alley/Gringotts) at 8am. I only had my 2 older kids and although very crowded this day, we did quite a lot (probably because we are used to traveling as a family of 6, so only having half the crew really moved up our pace!) and had oh so much fun. We stayed 8-10pm and the longest lines were of course in the afternoon (we did the water rides during this super busy time.) We unfortunately never saw the sledgehammer game (even if we did we definitely wouldn't have conquered it like your husband did lol.) We did try ButterBeer (and a Simpsons's big pink doughnut.) We also loved the ice cream place Florean Fortescue's in Diagon Alley. My daughter and I watched Grinchmas in the morning...did you guys happen to catch this show?

So excited ready your trip report. I almost forgot we are going to Wdw for 5 days.
Today is my double digit dance....99 more days til we get to SVR !
Keep the pictures coming.

Happy that your stuffy collection continues to grow. As soon as I read that was your morning destination, my first thought was "I wonder how many Minions would have to be stuffed into the suitcase on this trip?"!! :tilt::tilt::tilt::tilt:

Great updates again Gina. We too love millers and went a few times in Juliy, I like the choice of food, the atmosphere and the cocktail specials aren't bad either :rolleyes:

Just when we were getting along nicely I see you have to bring Dicks back into the conversation.......shame on you :rotfl:

She says yes, so Steve hands over his $6.00 to play (apparently the price had gone up since October, when it was only $5).
Well, duh! SOMEBODY has to make up for all the losses since Steve found his groove...

At this rate, I will soon have as many minions as Gru :p.

Nope. Pretty sure you have more already. But congratulations on the new addition to the family. Be sure to check the other Minions regularly for puncture wounds on their necks...

And again we were in the same vicinity lol. Tuesday was UO for us as well, but we started our day at Universal (heading straight to Diagon Alley/Gringotts) at 8am. I only had my 2 older kids and although very crowded this day, we did quite a lot (probably because we are used to traveling as a family of 6, so only having half the crew really moved up our pace!) and had oh so much fun. We stayed 8-10pm and the longest lines were of course in the afternoon (we did the water rides during this super busy time.) We unfortunately never saw the sledgehammer game (even if we did we definitely wouldn't have conquered it like your husband did lol.) We did try ButterBeer (and a Simpsons's big pink doughnut.) We also loved the ice cream place Florean Fortescue's in Diagon Alley. My daughter and I watched Grinchmas in the morning...did you guys happen to catch this show?

No Grinchmas show for us.....we didn't stay long enough to squeeze it in. How did you guys enjoy it?

So excited ready your trip report. I almost forgot we are going to Wdw for 5 days.
Today is my double digit dance....99 more days til we get to SVR !
Keep the pictures coming.

We are right behind ya! 101 days for us :teeth: .

Happy that your stuffy collection continues to grow. As soon as I read that was your morning destination, my first thought was "I wonder how many Minions would have to be stuffed into the suitcase on this trip?"!! :tilt::tilt::tilt::tilt:

:laughing: When we came home, you wouldn't believe how many people looked at us in shock and said.....You only brought home ONE minion!?!?

Great updates again Gina. We too love millers and went a few times in Juliy, I like the choice of food, the atmosphere and the cocktail specials aren't bad either :rolleyes:

Just when we were getting along nicely I see you have to bring Dicks back into the conversation.......shame on you :rotfl:

What was I thinking?!?! :rotfl: When @dancin Disney style returns to this thread, we're all in trouble :rolleyes1.

Well, duh! SOMEBODY has to make up for all the losses since Steve found his groove...

Nope. Pretty sure you have more already. But congratulations on the new addition to the family. Be sure to check the other Minions regularly for puncture wounds on their necks...
Then I guess I should formally apologize to all travellers for the price increase at IOA, and to the shareholders for the drop in profits :rotfl2:. Our annual passes expire on May 1st this year (and with the dollar the way it is, I'm doubting we'll renew for long while), so the game cost should return to normal this summer ;) .

I'm loving all your photos of the Christmas decor. It's my absolute favourite time at any of the parks. It just adds so much more to see them all decked out for the holidays. :)

Miller's is definitely on our radar for our May trip--it looks really good! A couple of quick questions, though--if I sign up for their email, will there be an expiration on that free appetizer? And do you get an appetizer choice, or was it just the one that y'all had?

We'll be visiting the Universal parks on our May 2017 vacation--we haven't been there since May of 2013, and we're really excited about all of the changes since then!

Okay, what did that Dick statue say to the boys? I see neither had a drink in hand like the statue. Food pictures soon I hope.

The Grinchmas show was cute. We weren't blown away, but my daughter and I enjoyed it. The actor who played the Grinch did a great job. We watched some of the Macy's Holiday Day parade that night with the floats and I think that won us over more than the show- all the balloons and floats were really cool. But unfortunately my son wouldn let us linger too long watching the parade because we were on our way to ride Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. Our family loves Minions too!

I'm loving all your photos of the Christmas decor. It's my absolute favourite time at any of the parks. It just adds so much more to see them all decked out for the holidays. :)

I agree....the parks "dressed up" are so much fun. They looked AWESOME for Halloween too, but Christmas is just...magical :blush: .

Miller's is definitely on our radar for our May trip--it looks really good! A couple of quick questions, though--if I sign up for their email, will there be an expiration on that free appetizer? And do you get an appetizer choice, or was it just the one that y'all had?

We'll be visiting the Universal parks on our May 2017 vacation--we haven't been there since May of 2013, and we're really excited about all of the changes since then!

The coupon is for a free flatbread, not an appetizer of choice unfortunately (I highly recommend the barbecued chicken one.....so freakishly yummy!!....but there are several others to choose from). There was an expiration date, I want to say 7 or 14 days but I'm not 100% sure. I signed up just a couple of days before we left and I had the free coupon emailed to me almost immediately.

Okay, what did that Dick statue say to the boys? I see neither had a drink in hand like the statue. Food pictures soon I hope.

Drinks came soon :) (well, for Steve anyway....Jake is legal drinking age here in Canada, but not south of the border). Maybe that's why neither one was smiling in that photo :rolleyes: . Actually, they were hot and hungry....hence the sour pusses. You bet your boots there's photos comin'! Probably tomorrow if all goes as planned :thumbsup2 .

The Grinchmas show was cute. We weren't blown away, but my daughter and I enjoyed it. The actor who played the Grinch did a great job. We watched some of the Macy's Holiday Day parade that night with the floats and I think that won us over more than the show- all the balloons and floats were really cool. But unfortunately my son wouldn let us linger too long watching the parade because we were on our way to ride Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. Our family loves Minions too!

Any friend of a minion is a friend of mine :teeth: .

Oh sheesh, I would never say anything.

Wanted to pass along a weather update though......

.View attachment 145352 looks like a storm is coming.

:faint:

I seem to be fainting a lot lately when it comes to your posts :rotfl2:.

For the record, @Mrs Doubtfire predicted this was going to happen!!

It took him all three swings, but the bell rang out on the final attempt. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :cool1:

Is Steve losing his touch??? Three tries???

Perhaps I misunderstand the quoted statement. There have been sleepless nights in hotels and now bells being rung. I'm confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter