It's all about Rides and Rocks (the trip that nearly wasn't) TR starts page 6

That time before the trip when suddenly it really dawns on you its only 2 weeks away when its always been months and there's the million things you have left to do because "there's plenty of time"....

That time before the trip when suddenly it really dawns on you its only 2 weeks away when its always been months and there's the million things you have left to do because "there's plenty of time"....

Oh, I know that time!

Don't worry, everything always seems to come together :thumbsup2

2 weeks will go by real quick!

Are you packed yet?

I have a BOG lunch FP+ for 12 noon on our MK day - :banana:

Also changed our hotel for our second last night in Orlando to one near Alamo car hire as our other hotel was near Budget and Avis who were twice the price of a one day hire with Alamo. So car hire is booked for our day to visit KSC and to drive back to the airport hotel for our disgustingly early departure the next am. All the important stuff is now booked/organised - just dithering over tours in Monument Valley etc and waiting for LOVE in Las Vegas tix for Nov to be released with 50% off code. Every other month for past 4 months they have so have hopes will Nov too.

In meantime have tix for Queen - Its A Kinda Magic the week before we leave. Heard great things about this show and possibility a friend's son will be drummer (he just finished a tour with the Michael Jackson show).

I missed this post earlier. :confused3

Congrats on BoG.

Have you decided on MV and did LOVE tix get released? I'm really looking forward to your TR. :thumbsup2

Not started packing yet - don't want to jinx myself by being too organised then have something go wrong (aka parents) at the last minute!! but plan to start "collecting" stuff in one place on the weekend and have a packing list done (I need lists!)

I think we will do a sunrise tour of Monument Valley - will book this weekend, then if we feel lively I am sure we could add Mystery Valley in the pm-if did with the same co I expect they'd still give the discount if we did it as an add-on but if not think I am happy to pay the few extra $ to make our minds up when there. I am a bit concerned we're going to be pretty tired by this stage so a lazy pm looking at the view might be some down-time we'll need.

Darned SmarterVegas and Mirage still only have 50% off tix til 31 October as part of the "Summer of Cirque" promotion. November not up yet but it will appear-I just need patience I presume, though suspect might only get a 25% discount. If needs be will book whilst away. There are no real bad seats I have read, other than dear ones very close to the front, so don't really mind where we sit.

On a different note DH seems to be OK-probably a virus explains some symptoms plus possible stress causing sleep apnia/panic attack type thingy in the night doc thinks, so he is trialling a sleeping pill (not that DH feels stressed or has any thing he can think of why he would be as he's his usual ambivalent self about hols & whilst some work mates on a different project are frantic, he isn't), but we shall see. If he continues to wake with symptoms he will do a 24hr EKG monitor but Doc has told him to go on hols and not worry-which was the only thing DH was worrying about! (getting sick on hols - self feeding loop I think!!).

I may have to s-l-o-w the trip down a bit as we go though-not cram quite so many things into one day! and keep an eye on him. DH always seems the most relaxed at Disney though (he'd prob deny this himself!) so I think we'll be fine and he likes driving so the road trip isn't a worry and its no big city driving and we've driven Las Vegas before. I have recently discovered since a virus earlier this year, I appear to have become gluten sensitive. Am avoiding serves of gluten products (trace/small amounts in things aren't affecting me and I don't have significant coeliac symptoms) so now rapidly taking notes on whats best to eat where-POFQ do GF beignets-Yaay!

Glad that the doctor has given DH the go ahead to travel anyway. That must be a relief!

Sounds like you're pretty organised to me though!

It's the little things I need to start organising/buy - meds, toiletries, travel size things for anything I want to take with me on the plane, load some books and music on my Ipod/Galaxy, since we won't have GPS (although will have data to access google maps) print out some maps of specific areas/relevant coupons etc, buy a couple of throw away ponchos from discount store, find our camping cutlery we take with us (always useful), go to the Vet and stock up on Pepper's special dog food and tick meds to cover him while DD looks after him. You know - but yeah, OCD here is pretty organised!

Your last details look good. And yes, I agree that staying flexible is probably best.

Glad DH is feeling better.

WanderlustNZ said:
Not long to go now Wendy! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. :)

Can't post without quote on my tablet. Quick post, arrived after the long haul. Auckland airport gets a Wendy rating of 4/10. Air NZ not a bad trip, will tally my plus and minuses in full TR. Suffered worst time disruption insomnia we have ever had - sign of advancing age?! But I finally got a decent 6 hrs straight last night.

POFQ lovely. Parks seem very busy to me but think we were spoilt by very low last visit here. Sampled a few food but not wine stalls yesterday - too hot for alcohol for us & not in a beer mood. What we had was delish. Magic bands been working perfectly so far. Quite like FP+. Excited arrival night fitted in 3 rides (7DMT was fun), watched MSEP twice, first time super crowded and saw Celebrate and fireworks between 8.15 and park closing at 11! (10000 steps in 3 hours!). 21000+ steps yesterday, legs are still tired- been a bit too lazy at home lately! Off to MK shortly and Halloween Party tonight - another big day!

WanderlustNZ said:
Not long to go now Wendy! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. :)

Forgot to add - in daze at LA hotel left adapter plug in socket so panic how to charge anything. DH jury rigged normal double aus plug to fit US socket this am so crisis averted! Clever boy.

Can't post without quote on my tablet. Quick post, arrived after the long haul. Auckland airport gets a Wendy rating of 4/10. Air NZ not a bad trip, will tally my plus and minuses in full TR. Suffered worst time disruption insomnia we have ever had - sign of advancing age?! But I finally got a decent 6 hrs straight last night. POFQ lovely. Parks seem very busy to me but think we were spoilt by very low last visit here. Sampled a few food but not wine stalls yesterday - too hot for alcohol for us & not in a beer mood. What we had was delish. Magic bands been working perfectly so far. Quite like FP+. Excited arrival night fitted in 3 rides (7DMT was fun), watched MSEP twice, first time super crowded and saw Celebrate and fireworks between 8.15 and park closing at 11! (10000 steps in 3 hours!). 21000+ steps yesterday, legs are still tired- been a bit too lazy at home lately! Off to MK shortly and Halloween Party tonight - another big day!

I'm pleased you arrived safely and are in full swing holiday mode. Have a great time at MNSSHP.

Sorry to hear about the insomnia. Those long flights can really mess up the body.

I'm curious what you disliked about Auckland airport? I've always thought the worst thing about it is coming home and having to clear customs and immigration. Sometimes we fly through the queues, other times we queue for what feels like forever. It's pretty inconsistent.
Other than that I don't mind it as far as airports go as it's not too big and crowded. The food choices are a bit lousy and overpriced, but that's been my experience with most airports. :)

Great to hear from you Wendy :goodvibes Sounds like a fun time so far, despite the sleep problems and the forgotten adapter. FWIW, we've had pretty good luck finding cheap international adapters at hotel gift shops. Might be worth a try :confused3

Glad you're having a great time. Looking forward to your report when you return.

Just an update. We had a great time at Universal. The new Diagon Alley and Gringotts was amazing. Such detail. The ride is a bit like Transformers, a bit more swirly track and just a first short drop but not really a coaster to me. The 3D is great as is the queue through the bank. We enjoyed lots of other rides, and most arvo's headed back for a nap. It was very hot- brisbane weather- nice. Had some good meals at the hotel but never got to Emerils. Driving over to KSC today. Have a good day/night guys.

Just an update. We had a great time at Universal. The new Diagon Alley and Gringotts was amazing. Such detail. The ride is a bit like Transformers, a bit more swirly track and just a first short drop but not really a coaster to me. The 3D is great as is the queue through the bank. We enjoyed lots of other rides, and most arvo's headed back for a nap. It was very hot- brisbane weather- nice. Had some good meals at the hotel but never got to Emerils. Driving over to KSC today. Have a good day/night guys.

So envious! I can't wait for the day I get to see the new Harry Potter area. Comparing just the theming of the shops and not the rides, did you prefer Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade?

I think Diagon Alley as the shops have more room with great 'extras' like the mirror in Madam Malkins talks to you- I had bad taste in my outfit apparently! Also the area copes with crowds better with the added alleys like Carkitt Market and Knockturn Alley but I did like the design of Hogsmeade too and the castle is amazingly accurate. What was so cute was all the visitors dressed up - especially some littlies - with their robes and Hogwarts ties and headbands and wands, like being there for real. I ended up resisting an RFID wand - for $50 to use a day or two then gather dust displayed at home I decided not to. I got as much enjoyment watching others and as I had read how to use them properly I kept helping kids when CMs weren't around to make them work so it was almost like I had one! Adults, espy 20 yo or so, were the best at making them work - it's all in the wrist, little movements not big swirly ones. Hogsmeade sites were much harder to get working. If you love HP it's a must visit though!

Now sitting in the lobby of the View Hotel at Monument Valley looking at the view listening to soothing new age music- very relaxing. Enjoyed a sunrise tour this am. Glad its fine, the storm front brought heavy rain Sat to Durango (and snow predicted for Sun night) but it cleared for our visit to Mesa Verde though drove up through thick fog and on the road from Durango even some snowy road. A bit different to 33 in Orlando! In PIOs words I have unfinished business in Santa Fe - really liked it and have to go back for longer one day. Drove through Pagosa Springs PIO but too late and wet to stop. Sad that the hol is almost over. DD has been wonderful visiting the parents and taking care of the dog - all of you with young 'uns when they grow up into wonderful caring adults it makes you very proud. Have bought her some nice goodies from HP and her birthstone, turquoise, jewelry (and some for me too! Also amazing value for the quality in Santa Fe.)

Enjoy the View at the View! I'm envious picturing you in that lobby looking out those windows.

Glad you had a great time and if you want some company for Santa Fe let me know. New Mexico and the left fork at Albuquerque is on my list. As is Chaco Canyon and a return trip to Mesa Verde.

Sorry about the rain; but I hope you're still doing all the main sights.

I have a glimmer in my eye for Oct/Nov 2016 to Orlando; so Diagon Alley might have to wait until then.

So envious of both Diagon Alley and the View Hotel.

You showed great restraint not buying a wand - I don't think I could have been quite so good. I showed restraint last year with a wooden wand that doesn't do anything, but the new interactive wands would have tempted me greatly.

I hope the rest of your trip is magical :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter