• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I remember hearing about a test AKL was doing for a “cashless resort”. Is this still going on?

Can you use cash in The Mara? We have the DDP, but sometimes we pay cash for a kids breakfast.
Yes it is still going on. I was at AKL last week and when I opened the MDE app at AKL I got the warning about it being a cashless resort. I believe this applies everywhere there. Oh except bell services-they gladly take cash tips ;)

we are going to AKL dec 7 - 15, have heard about pool rennos and that was not to big of a deal for us but now i have been hearing about room rennos? anyone have any info

I remember hearing about a test AKL was doing for a “cashless resort”. Is this still going on?

Can you use cash in The Mara? We have the DDP, but sometimes we pay cash for a kids breakfast.

I came to ask the same question, you read my mind! We use our magic bands to pay for things but it is good to know whether or not it is still going.

To the poster that said that it come up in MDE that is pretty cool and very helpful because I probably won't remember once we get close and are in overload excitement mode!

So excited to have booked Wanyama for 6 mo.s from now. One thing has changed since last time we did Wanyama - you now pay up front when you book. Before, you paid at the end when the bill was presented at Jiko. Personally I like it better this way because it's all taken care of before you get there. The CM on the phone said the new requirement that you pay when you book happened when they opened Wanyama up to non AKL guests.

We have a late flight on our check-out day. Is there a place to shower if we spend the day swimming?

There are showers in the bathrooms that are located near the pool/Mara at Jambo House as well as showers near the gym/pool at Kidani. Someone else mentioned showers near the gym at Jambo but I have personally never used those so I have no experience. I really like the showers near the Jambo pool they are way in the back of the bathroom and I personally have never seen anyone else use them.

Here! Room was ready. Got text with my room number and it’s one of the partial savannah view labeled as a standard view! Have already seen a Roan Antelope, 2 ostriches, 2 crowned cranes, and Ankole cattle off in the distance. I’m livin’ the dream:daisy:

My photos won’t load right now. Maybe later?
What is your room number? I need to decide where to request. Thanks

So excited to have booked Wanyama for 6 mo.s from now. One thing has changed since last time we did Wanyama - you now pay up front when you book. Before, you paid at the end when the bill was presented at Jiko. Personally I like it better this way because it's all taken care of before you get there. The CM on the phone said the new requirement that you pay when you book happened when they opened Wanyama up to non AKL guests.

Did you have any trouble getting your choice of date ?

SW

There are showers in the bathrooms that are located near the pool/Mara at Jambo House as well as showers near the gym/pool at Kidani. Someone else mentioned showers near the gym at Jambo but I have personally never used those so I have no experience. I really like the showers near the Jambo pool they are way in the back of the bathroom and I personally have never seen anyone else use them.

We were there 3 weeks ago and I went to check out the showers and told DH that they looked amazing and there was even more space to change than in the room.

Yes it is still going on. I was at AKL last week and when I opened the MDE app at AKL I got the warning about it being a cashless resort. I believe this applies everywhere there. Oh except bell services-they gladly take cash tips ;)

Stayed 5/25 to 5/29. The app gave the warning. However, the Mara *was* taking cash. I told my stepdad to put his cash away but they took it. He used cash at the Mara at least once each day, so it wasn’t a rogue cashier.

Did you have any trouble getting your choice of date ?

SW
No, and I was booking for 4 on the second night of that portion of our stay so 181 days away. I called around noon my time, which is 3 pm east coast time. They won’t let you book before 180 (I tried a couple weeks ago) but apparently the ADR + 10 for on site stays applies.

Been at Kidani since Sunday, have seems lots of animals, even a stampede! There have been almost no animals in the morning, but tons of animals afternoon/evening.

Kidani is easily the highlight of our trip. If you’re just wanting a place to sleep, it may not be worth it, but if you schedule yourself some resort time, it’s the best.

If you don't mind me asking....how much is the Wanyama Safari costing nowadays? DH and I did it back in 2009 and it was $249/person and only for AKV guests. Is it offered only on certain nights? I'm seriously considering surprising my daughters with it on our final night of vacation in October. In 2009, they were 3 and 5 and had to stay in the room with an in-room sitter. Now that they are old enough to enjoy it, and I wanted to eat dinner at Jiko anyways, I am really contemplating it, but only if I can make it fit into the budget. I have a few months to save, but we are limited to when we could fit it in to our schedule.

If you don't mind me asking....how much is the Wanyama Safari costing nowadays? DH and I did it back in 2009 and it was $249/person and only for AKV guests. Is it offered only on certain nights? I'm seriously considering surprising my daughters with it on our final night of vacation in October. In 2009, they were 3 and 5 and had to stay in the room with an in-room sitter. Now that they are old enough to enjoy it, and I wanted to eat dinner at Jiko anyways, I am really contemplating it, but only if I can make it fit into the budget. I have a few months to save, but we are limited to when we could fit it in to our schedule.
Not sure if it's offered every night, I just know I got my preferred night which was a Sunday. It was $208 per person which includes gratuity and taxes.

Help please! We are booked for Jambo house on Sept 3rd for a week - 1st time deluxe, and first trip back to the world in awhile! We have friends who are DVC and AP holders who have booked Kidini for the last part of our week there. We have a few meals booked together as well. DH needs to soak his legs after a long park day so we are considering a move. The problem is there are no studios available - it seems like anywhere! Our friends cant seem to find one anywhere else. Should we try to get moved to Kidini? Do you think it'll be ridiculously packed at the pool there? Or jump resorts - if so where? BWI or WL? TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter