January 29, 2022 - 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Fantasy

I checked flights Thursday and several times since. I'm a little disappointed on where the pricing is (for 4 of us). It's about 40% more than what it was when we flew down this year about the same time.

I decided to look at different airports and realized if I change to a different airport I can get that pricing back down. :cool1:

Last edited:
So, it's been a bit since anyone's posted here... Anxious 😬? 2nd thoughts 💭 ? Ready to go 😁? I've got all the above. I'm nervous about testing negative. Putting in all the work and then getting to the port and saying, "well sorry about your luck", but have been ok throughout the whole pandemic so no reason to worry there. Kids still don't know so that's been FUN!😈 Flights are frustrating right now, but what else isn't? I'm ready to sail and ready for January 2022:darth::chewy:. What's crazy is the fact we haven't even sailed on this one and I'm already looking ahead to what/when the next one will be.:rotfl2::banana:

Hey there!

We're all set with flights & ready to go. Flying out of Hartford the Weds. before the cruise & the cost was pretty dang good. I haven't thought much about the chance of testing positive at the port, (THAT WOULD SUCK) but more so what the cruise will be like with the different mandates, etc.- like a reduced experience. I dunno - i'm still kinda up in the air. The good news is, though, is it looks like things may be turning a corner with this new variant. We've got a contingency plan to just go down & spend a week at Disney if we feel the cruise "won't be worth it." Shoot, I don't even think half the ports we're supposed to go to are open, are they?

Looks like right now the only one that is 'iffy' would be Grand Cayman. Seems like everything I've been reading comes across as, "if you're planning for the masks and social distancing it's still a blast." "If you can deal with those 2 things it will be just fine." "ITS CRUISING, better than the alternative."

Looks like right now the only one that is 'iffy' would be Grand Cayman. Seems like everything I've been reading comes across as, "if you're planning for the masks and social distancing it's still a blast." "If you can deal with those 2 things it will be just fine." "ITS CRUISING, better than the alternative."
Yeah, Grand Cayman is all set with us, lol. I also thought that I saw that Jamaica was "shut down". But all of that was a while ago. And while I agree that cruising is better than the alternative (working lol) it's just soooo many monies to spend for something sub-par to what we're used to. I guess that means we're spoiled? What's the time limit to cancel again? Two months out?

Nice! Thanks for that. So that means we can start "booking" things, if PIF, on October 29th or so? Hmmm...

Yeah, our "booking date" is 10/31, so I'm holding out this week... 🤞 and mentally planning for PIF to start booking things.. but also debating on waiting to the last minute.. Grrrr...

I hear ya. We normally don't book excursions anymore anyway, so it's not a super big deal to have this "booking date" open up.

I just keep reading people's reports to see if this is going to work for MY brain-paying top dollar with even a little bit of compromise. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but it takes us a while to save up for a vacation like this so we're looking for it all, lol.

Hey everyone! Just started doing some cruise research since our booking window opens on 10/31. Super excited. For those of you who have done Star Wars cruises before, I'm assuming there is a Star Wars themed night? Do they still do Pirate night? I read that fireworks would be twice during the cruise and you would be assigned to one of them. Trying to figure out nights that we can send the kids to the kids club, and we do a dinner at Remy! Any help would be appreciated. We'll see what excursions we book, and what we're able to do in 3 months......

Pre-Covid, the Galactic Empire takes over the ship the night before (the 2nd sea day) and then the entire 2nd sea day is Star Wars themed with a show and fireworks in the evening on the party/pool deck concluding the day. It will be interesting to see how that is done Post-Covid.

I have NOT gone on a SWDaS before, but all of the research I have done shows that there is still a pirate night, but I've gotten mixed info about 2 sets of fireworks so not really sure there. It would be pretty awesome if they still figure out a way to both sets of fireworks 🎆 :darth: .

It will also be interesting to see if the itinerary changes (Grand Cayman) and what their protocols will be after the first of the year. As of now, they're planning reopening to cruising 1/27/2022, it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I've been on a Star Wars cruise before & I don't remember a dang thing except for the fact that the interaction with guests was a blast to see. I thought I read somewhere that there are 2 sets of fireworks rn to keep crowd levels down & that you're assigned to one of these nights. But I could have made that up in my head.

Starting to get apprehensive now even though we're PIF. Did you guys get insurance? I'm going to reach out to my TA today. We didn't get any, but like, what if, for some chance of freaky bad luck, either one of us tests positive at the port? We both work in what would be deemed "high risk" jobs, so it's a possibility to contract it but be asymptomatic. Would travel insurance even COVER that? Ugh.

We are waiting to the last possible minute for PIF. We WILL have insurance just incase something does happen. Going to get it about the time we are PIF, will go through Allianz. Have gone through them before and everything was pretty easy at that point. Not 100% sure what all it would cover at this point too. Haven't looked too much into it yet, post-Covid.

Sadly, I have decided to cancel my cruise. The biggest reason is because my friend would be flying in from Switzerland and it just seems iffy and complicated with testing and borders opening and closing from day to day. And having read some recent trip reports, I just can't justify the premium Disney cost for the . . . . less than optimal experience. FWIW I was able to get a Voucher from my trip insurance, to be used on another trip before 10/16/2023 so I'm not out any money, but I am sad about it. I thought when I booked it in Feb 2021, that it was far enough out. And I was excited about it for many months, it certainly helped my mood! I will still follow this thread to see how it goes for you guys!

In lieu of the cruise, and you will think I am crazy, I booked flights to and from Orlando (from Nashville) and 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency in MCO. At the very least I can watch the planes take off and watch people in the airport going on trips and cruises. I have missed travel and this is the closest I can get to it at the moment. I get to eat in the food court! Obviously, I don't get out much here at home.

Happy cruising!!

We have decided to 'reschedule' ours. We have moved this cruise to the same one another year out. The main reason for us at this point is the under 12 vaccination requirement. DS has some significant heart issues, that are all under control, but we don't want to chance it at this point. Alas, 🤞 2023 will come eventually.

And then there was one...lol

I feel you guys - valid reasons to be sure. We're still ready to go. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Oh Ditch, I am SO sorry but you certainly have a good reason. I sure do hope 2023 will be the year! We had such good intentions and Disney dreams! Jodi - yes, please do let us know what we missed . . . and have a Mickey Waffle or two for us. Are you all set to go? Tickets booked? It's coming up fast now! Almost just a month out. Have you heard anything from Disney other than you will need your cell phone? The protocols keep changing - what are they now? You have to be vaccinated, even if you're a kid. And then they test you before you get on? Are you doing anything different to prepare? I saw the photo of that one family who was in Quarantine on Deck 2 . . . I think I would make sure I had enough to read, maybe a couple extra movies on the iPad and maybe some chocolate. Lots of chocolate. Just in case. Are you bringing a can of Lysol????

I am still planning to go hang out at MCO Hyatt. Although I forgot that even with the big atrium, you have to wear a mask inside the airport. There MUST be some outdoor space? Are you flying in the day before? Hope there's no snow at BDL. I really am sad, just so you know . . . .

Jodi and anyone else on the Star Wars Jan 29th cruise - HAPPY SAILING!!!!

Apparently a child in the Kid's Club tested positive for Covid so the other kids were put into Quarantine. Of course his family went with him. They had to spend the rest of their cruise (thankfully just one night) in Quarantine on Deck 2. Disney . . . ghostbusters (?!) moved them and all their luggage. Hope I can post this photo . . .

In truth, I wouldn't mind although a balcony would be nice. I do a lot of reading and I love the cooking demos which I guess are not offered at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter