Jen’s Disneyland Holiday Happenings

JenniBarra

Mouseketeer
Saturday, November 16

We began our drive from Northern California around seven in the morning. My husband decided he wanted to take a different route than usual, which made the trip down more leisurely than usual.

Near Hollister, we stopped by Casa de Fruta. (My husband’s uncle drives throughout the state regularly on business and he recommended it.) First, we had a late breakfast at the coffee shop. Afterward, we checked out some of the other offerings there, such as the Casa de Sweets (the complex also includes a fruit stand, gift shop, small train, wine shop, and petting zoo). It was kind of funny going into this store because I kept noticing all of these Disney things! In the entrance were several cute (but expensive) fountains for sale. Our favorite was the one with Mickey and Minnie sharing an umbrella. Inside, the music initially playing was from one of the “Disney Classics” albums and we found yet more Disneyana along one wall.

We then hit the road again. Since we had a late breakfast, we decided upon a late lunch as well. Keith’s request was that we dine in Pismo Beach.

In Pismo Beach, we found a restaurant along the water called Shore Cliff. We had an excellent view of the ocean and could also see the nearby Shore Cliff Lodge, where a wedding was taking place at the same time. After lunch, we took the long winding staircase down to the water. We took pictures, collected some shells and driftwood, and just enjoyed the natural beauty.

We continued along our way again, only stopping for one more brief detour. I had commented at seeing an exit sign with an unusual street name, Santa Claus Lane. Keith told me he thought that he’d heard somewhere that it was actually named for a large Santa Claus figure. Maybe it was too dark by then or this figure never existed, but, alas, we could not find Santa Claus.

Eventually, we arrived in the L.A. area. Despite it not being a weekday commute time, the traffic was awful. We kept listening to the traffic reports and never did find out why the traffic was so bad. At the point when Anaheim should have been a half drive away, we ended up in traffic much, much longer. I told my husband all I wanted was to arrive in time to check in at the hotel and catch the evening holiday fireworks.

Finally, we arrived at Paradise Pier Hotel. We were there just long enough to check in, drop off the luggage, and use the restroom, but I did notice the décor in that time. I knew that the downstairs decoration was changed over when the hotel changed its name, but I think the rooms still maintain their original look from the Pacific days. This was actually fine by me, as I had really liked how the first floor looked previously. (The artwork featured reproductions of classic works with Disney characters worked in.)

There’s no tram to the parks, but, if the valet staff is not too busy, they drive guests to Downtown Disney. To save time, we checked to see if this was possible. Keith ended up getting in quite a conversation with our driver. (It ends up that the cast member’s dad lives in the same part of town that we do!)

From Downtown Disney, we had our choice of walking the rest of the way to Disneyland or taking the Monorail in. Since we were going to meet up with Doobie and Rebekah from Laughing Place at Coke Corner on Main Street, we decided it was better to walk it. On our way through a mobbed Downtown Disney (or, rather, Keith practically running and dragging me in tow!), we were passed by two teenage girls who commented to each other as they sped by us that we must also have been going to see fireworks, too. (The timeframe was that tight and we were walking that fast.)

Eventually, we made it to the gates and could hear the fireworks just starting. Keith zig zagged through the stores and sidewalk until we made it to Coke Corner and found Doobie and Rebekah. While I missed part of the show, I saw enough to see that it had been changed slightly from last year.

When the fireworks ended, we had time to properly greet Doobie and Rebekah. Rebekah’s siblings were there, too, as well as the Nurmis. It was nice to finally be able to put the faces to a couple of folks whose posts I have followed for so long.

We chatted for a while about our respective drives to Southern California and so on before the group migrated over to Naples Ristorante back at Downtown Disney. (I was so ready for some dinner by then!) We had a great time. Among other things, Doobie amused us with his hummingbird impression and Keith pretended to try to embarrass Rebekah’s sister Rachel by asking for butter. (It was not the correct Italian way to eat the bread, she told him. : ))

After much visiting over dinner, it was time for everyone to head out. It was late and I was definitely ready for bed!

Sunday, November 17

On this day, we took the Monorail into Disneyland, although we first had to wait for the next Monorail to arrive into the station, Monorail Purple, and evacuate. It wasn’t as dire as it sounds. The passengers disembarked and then Monorail Purple was sent back off to be checked out. We then were able to board the next one instead. While waiting for the a-okay to leave the station, a CM chatted with everyone in the tail cone. It came up that a lot of the Monorail folks, when finding out that a guest is from Sacramento, ask about Citrus Heights, where one of the Monorail CMs is originally from. (We also got a recommendation to try out a pumpkin spice cookie a local bakery makes.)

Once inside the park, our first stop was Small World Holiday. I am continually amazed at how “busy” inside this attraction gets, whether it’s holiday time or not. I especially liked the addition of pine smell to the giant Christmas tree around the U.K.

We then caught the train (and had the opportunity to hear the new spiel) to New Orleans Square. They seemed to be having sound problems as we could still hear the Primeval World music when we were at the Main Street Station!

Once in New Orleans Square, we picked up Fastpasses for Haunted Mansion Holiday. I suggested that we visit the Gallery to check out the new Haunted Mansion exhibit while we waited for the window to open. We actually had to wait about five minutes for it to open, so we got to talking to another passholder. We passed the time by talking about the cell phone antenna toppers and Disneyland Resort versus Walt Disney World. (He said that he was going to WDW for the first time in February, so we shared our impressions based on my previous four trips and my husband’s three.)

Once inside the Gallery, we saw what must have been one of the AP preview groups for the new Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour since they were eating lunch out in the courtyard. I enjoyed wandering from each of the rooms, as well checking out the new Haunted Mansion Holiday merchandise available. (I picked up a t-shirt with a front and back design that features the “Merry/Scary Christmas” banner and many of the characters. I was attracted to the bright and varied colors on it, and it glows in the dark, too.)

By the time, I finished making my purchase, our Fastpass window was open. It was fun to compare this year's version to last year’s. I am hoping somebody will take a photograph once all 13 weeks of gifts in the boarding area are open as I’d love to see what surprises are to be found in the boxes that are currently closed. On this initial ridethrough, I found myself missing the original HMH score, though I did recognize the parts that resemble the film’s soundtrack (i.e. “Kidnap the Sandy Claws,” “What’s This?”) I liked how the vampire bear is now sparking from chewing on the Christmas lights as he sits in a haunted tree, among other new changes.

That afternoon, we also ran into Dave, Ursula, and the Nurmis as we were headed from Critter Country (to check out the exterior of the forthcoming Pooh attraction) to the Blue Bayou. It was nice to meet Ursula, another Laughing Place poster whose messages I have been seeing for a long time.

At the Bayou, we had another great lunch, as always. We actually did a walk-in, as I had been told there were no lunch reservations (unless I wanted 3:45, which was too late) when I called the dining number in the morning. We probably spent more time waiting at the podium for the cast member to be available to ask about availability than it actually took us to wait for a table! (It probably helps that it was just the two of us.)

After lunch, we did some shopping in Adventureland and then rode Indy. While waiting in the queue, I noticed some goths ahead of us, one of whom was sporting a lot of Nightmare Before Christmas gear. I quietly mentioned to my husband that it's interesting how NBC crosses so many different demographics and that, this year, it was nice to see that Disneyland is now keeping up with demand for NBC/HMH merchandise compared to last year. (Last year, it was a couple of days before the cart outside the attraction was restocked with the sweatshirt I wanted.)

By now, it was time to head over to Fantasia Gardens for the Laughing Place meet. I caught up with some old friends like LuLu and Kim, as well as met some faces that were new to me, such as MissCandice (whose birthday was belatedly being celebrated), HawaiianShirtGuy, Dzneygirl, and many others. After a while, some of the group split off, while those that remained headed to Small World Holiday where we filled an entire boat, after joining up with two other LP’ers who had missed the meet earlier. (Hmmm… It appears I can get Keith to ride with a group, but, on my own, it appears my ride limit per trip for Small World is one. <g>) After our ride, more of the group split off. A CM had approached us about being in the Parade of the Stars as guest performers, though no one was in agreement as to whether to do it or not. Eventually, some did and some didn’t. (We didn’t.)

When those that wanted to be in the parade took off on the bus, we decided to visit World of Disney in the meantime. We got somewhat distracted between our shopping, seeing Kim again, and being hungry so that we weren’t back at Disneyland in time to take pictures of the LP’ers in the parade. : ( Somehow, we also ended up running late for “Believe in Holiday Magic,” too, though we saw some of it from the Monorail back to the park. I made Keith promise that, next year, we will see the whole thing at least once…

Monday, November 18

The parks were much less populated today, making everything a walk on. Our first stop was Haunted Mansion Holiday, for which I was properly attired in my new HMH t-shirt. (Three times this day, I would get compliments on this shirt, so I’m clearly not the only one attracted to the bright colors and design. : ))

On our way back out, we stopped by the outdoor vending cart. All this time, I have had the movie on videocassette but not the soundtrack so we purchased this as well as a glowing Jack necklace and some new postcards for my collection. (I should note here that the new HMH holiday score was beginning to grow on me. Keith especially likes the “La la la” part that the deranged flowers sing. <g>)

Keith asked what I wanted to do next and I said I wanted to do HMH again. (After all, I did it six times on my trip a year ago. <g>) While waiting, I had opened the package containing my necklace and put it on so that it lit up. While it’s not much to see in the daytime, inside the Mansion, it glowed brightly. I made sure I got my fill of HMH before bidding Jack adieu for another year. (This year, that made four ridethroughs. <g>)

Before heading across the esplande to DCA, we visited some of the Main Street Shops. I’m now on the hunt for a Main Street Electrical Parade CD I only recently found out about that has not only the parade music, an orchestral version is included. I thought that it was unlikely that 20th Century Music Company carried it, but it was still worthwhile to stop by. I was able to find out that it’s actually a recording made for Walt Disney World, not Disneyland, so I guess I’ll be checking at WDW on my January trip.

Once in DCA, we of course had to stop by Soarin’, my favorite DCA attraction. We had some first time riders in the group, which always adds to the fun. (You can tell they’re new to the attraction by their questions about how high you’re actually lifted up and then their oohhs and ahhs once they’re actually riding it. : ))

We also visited Flik’s Fun Fair for the first time. I found the four leaf clover and we rode Heimlech’s Chew Chew Train and the Tuck and Roll buggies. (Unlike traditional bumper cars, Tuck and Roll is powered through the floor and a CM said it’s safe to walk on because it’s only nine volts!) The themeing of this area is quite cute.

After our visit to Flik’s, it was time to consider heading out, especially since I wanted to visit the Character Warehouse before we left town.

It was another November Disneyland trip that has me ready for the holidays. : ) The Disneyland Resort is always special, but the holiday decorations and overlays makes it all the more magical. Like the past two years, I’m sure I’ll be back again next year to revisit my old holiday favorites and to see what’s new in store, too.

that was an interesting read and i bet it took ages to do. i am off to orlando next week and was going to keep a diary of everything so i don't forget a single thing, it may never happen again so i must make the most of it.

Originally posted by JODY71
that was an interesting read and i bet it took ages to do. i am off to orlando next week and was going to keep a diary of everything so i don't forget a single thing, it may never happen again so i must make the most of it.

Thanks, Jody! Yes, it did take a while to write up! What I find helpful is to bring a small note pad with me and, when I have opportunity, I jot down key words or phrases, so that when I do sit down to write, it reminds me of what was memorable that day. :)

Hi Jennibarra,

I enjoyed your trip report and am glad you got to meet Lulu and Doobie. I was surprised to see some familiar people from LP, another of my favorite websites. Your report is interesting.:Pinkbounc

Originally posted by Sheree Bobbins
Hi Jennibarra,

I enjoyed your trip report and am glad you got to meet Lulu and Doobie. I was surprised to see some familiar people from LP, another of my favorite websites. Your report is interesting.:Pinkbounc

Actually, I've known both LuLu and Doobie (and Rebekah) since 2000, so I was actually catching up with old friends. :) However, I did meet some LP'ers that I hadn't met previously and it's always nice to be able to then put a face with a name. Anyway, yes, in visiting some other boards, I once in a while see a name I already recognize. <g> (I like coming here and to Intercot for WDW info.)

Jennibarra

Thanks so much for the great trip report.
Are you from Citrus Heights?? My husband and I were very close to purchasing a house in Elk Grove or North Natomas. My ds goes to Sacramento State. I went to school at UC Davis. I now live in Millbrae, Ca. We ended up staying in the Bay Area bc my husband I couldn't find jobs up there.

Anyway that was a very informative trip report. Were you able to see the famous cup flipper at the Casa de Fruta coffee shop??

Nice to here from some fellow N.Californians. We felt very lonely at the end of October (we attended a wedding and decided to stay an entire week to go to the parks) because there just weren't enough bay area fans down there supporting the Giants in their bid for the Series. We'll be back next year!! Go G'ints
We still managed to enjoy the parks as always. ;)

MandaMom

Originally posted by MandaMom
Jennibarra

Thanks so much for the great trip report.
Are you from Citrus Heights?? My husband and I were very close to purchasing a house in Elk Grove or North Natomas. My ds goes to Sacramento State. I went to school at UC Davis. I now live in Millbrae, Ca. We ended up staying in the Bay Area bc my husband I couldn't find jobs up there.

Anyway that was a very informative trip report. Were you able to see the famous cup flipper at the Casa de Fruta coffee shop??
/B]

Thanks for the nice comments, MandaMom. No, I am not from Citrus Heights (it was the CM that mentioned training someone from Citrus Heights), but I do live in Sacrameto. At Casa de Fruta, I didn't see the cup flipper, however we did see postcards of him the gift shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter