June 2014 Rental Car Deal Watch Thread

I've got a mid-size with Alamo down to $126.31 for 8 days, 6/15 - 6/22. I checked the Enterprise 50% off deal, and it would only save me about $12. For that small of a difference, I'll keep Alamo & the ability to pick my specific car from what is available.

Did you use any specific codes? I would much rather have Alamo also. Currently, I have a mid-size with Budget for $117 for the week of June 21 - 28th.

Sounds like some of you are starting to get some good rates mid-month. I just returned last night. Rented with Budget for the first time in years, so I thought I'd relay my experience since I had read some conflicting things online about Budget at MCO.

First, my rate was weekly even though I was closer to 5 days. I rented a Compact for $27.60 base/$64.29 with taxes. That was using the Costco code and a Costco $30 off week coupon. ( I should add that I did prepay, which I always advise against...but it was 2 days out, so rates weren't going any lower)

I would encourage those of you renting with Budget to signup for Fastbreak/RapidRez. If you do so, after you collect your luggage, just go out to the Fastbreak booth in the garage. No need to go to the counter in the terminal. In my case, there was no one on line ahead of me in the garage. I had read conflicting reports that if you were using Fastbreak for the first time, some reported getting sent back to the terminal. That did not happen with me.

I do not know if you can add Fastbreak/RapidRez to an existing reservation. You might have to start from scratch. If that is the case and you can't get the same rates, try calling and see if they can add it.

I also had read reports that Budget people sometimes use semi-hard sell tactics to pick up extra insurance, etc. I was only asked if I wanted to prepay fuel and there was no hard sell about it. Maybe they treat Fastbreak people differently.

I received a free upgrade from my Compact to a mid-size (I think). I did not get to go down a row (like Alamo or National), but was offered either a Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla. I took the Corolla and was very happy with it (note to tall drivers: the Corolla drivers seat doesn't go back very far. I'm 6' and was OK with it, but any taller it could be an issue). I suppose if you don't like the car they issue, you could go back to the booth and get another.

With most Budget cars, unlike Alamo and Dollar, there is a Sunpass (like EZPass) unit attached to the windshield. They instruct you on how to turn the big switch on or off, depending on whether you want to use it. I had also read that some found they were getting charged after the fact even though the switch was off (most likely it wasn't quite off all the way). So what is recommended, and what we did, was remove the entire unit from the windshield, turn the switch off and stash it in the console for the duration of the trip. For those of you that have an EZPass in the northeast, the method of affixing is exactly the same...that interlocking tape. Just remember to put it back after paying the last toll before return to MCO. By the way, the tolls from MCO to WDW via SR-417 (South Exit) is still two sets of $1.50.

Finally, some report that Budget is finnicky when returning a car for scratches, etc. Of course, I would encourage you to look over a car carefully when you pick it up and have any defects noted on the contract before you leave MCO. That goes for any agency, of course.

Overall, I was happy with Budget and would rent with them again. I still prefer the procedure with Alamo with the kiosk and car choice, but Alamo's rates were close to double for this trip and just not worth the difference.

We are less than 10 days out and the rates haven't moved. We are going 6/19-6/23. Alamo and National's coupons expire on 6/15. Does anyone know when they will come out with the next set of coupons?

We are less than 10 days out and the rates haven't moved. We are going 6/19-6/23. Alamo and National's coupons expire on 6/15. Does anyone know when they will come out with the next set of coupons?

I am 2 days out and except for the 50% off deal on Enterprise which is my best rate, none of the other rates have budged in over a month for me (Budget, Alamo, National). They are exactly the same, no volatility at all. I've never had that happen, ever in all my years of renting.

I can live with the Enterprise rate, but I was really hoping Alamo would come down. I am also lowballing on Priceline, but nothing has been accepted so far.

RICHMO - this is great information about Budget. I have heard the same "horror" stories and have been worried about using them for my upcoming trip. I feel much better after hearing your review. :)

Emily, your trip is exactly 2 weeks later than mine on the same days (Thursday thru Monday). I didn't see rate drops until 7 days out and they peaked 2 days out. One thing I just did was plug in your dates at Dollar. The City special for even a fullsize is $110/$160, which isn't terrible. I'm not sure what your times and vehicle requirements are, but if you're returning later in the day than when you pick up, you should spill into weekly rates, which often get the best discounts.

Emily, your trip is exactly 2 weeks later than mine on the same days (Thursday thru Monday). I didn't see rate drops until 7 days out and they peaked 2 days out. One thing I just did was plug in your dates at Dollar. The City special for even a fullsize is $110/$160, which isn't terrible. I'm not sure what your times and vehicle requirements are, but if you're returning later in the day than when you pick up, you should spill into weekly rates, which often get the best discounts.

Thanks for the information! I will keep watching the rates.

We are coming around 5pm on Thursday which seemed to exclude us from some of the weekend coupons with Budget.

We are at $148 with National which isn't awful but I would like to do better. The Enterprise 50% deal would save us around $20 but I would rather pick our car. My DH is tall so being able to pick the car is important even if renting a bigger car. We had issues with head room in the past. I am also super senstive to smells so it is better to pick it out myself. Weird I know! :)

Did you use any specific codes? I would much rather have Alamo also. Currently, I have a mid-size with Budget for $117 for the week of June 21 - 28th.

I am using Southwest Code 7015765, and coupon code ad2338fdf, which is an electronic coupon from Visa (you may have to pay with a Visa card in order to use it).

...my rate was weekly even though I was closer to 5 days. I rented a Compact for $43 base/$82 with taxes. That was using the Costco code and a Costco $30 off week coupon. ( I should add that I did prepay, which I always advise against...but it was 2 days out, so rates weren't going any lower)...

I need to go back and edit my post again and I will. The prices in the original post were before I decided to prepay two days out. The actual cost for the weekly rental was $27.60 base/$64.29 total.

Can anyone find a better rate than 182 w/ budget for June 13 @1pm --June 22nd @ 7:30am? Deal is with costco at lAX airport offsite. Any help appreciated.

I just re booked a mid size suv at $145 (total) down from my original rate of $168 for 10 days.

We are 8 days out and the prices are increasing for our dates. Even the Enterprise 50% deal is up by $15. Ugh. Will keep checking.

I rebooked with the Enterprise 50% off deal this morning and got $13 off my previous best rate. Now our total price is $125 for an SUV from June 15-23. Yay!

could you tell me if you used any codes or coupons?

No, I did not use any codes. I did, however, use my Capital One card through their rewards program. I did not have near enough points to use points to rent so Capital One converts it to dollars.

Not sure if anyone else is flying/sailing out of Tampa, but I just got some really good rates for our trip.

We are flying into TPA on 6/28 and out on 7/13. We are sailing on Carnival Paradise from July 3-7 and the rest of the time will be at WDW. Originally we had a Alamo ressie for a compact for $265 for the entire trip and we were going to pay to park at the port.

Because of the great rates we got today, we are going to do 2 rentals - one before and one after the cruise:

1) June 28 - July 3
Payless - pick up TPA, drop off TPA
$68.17 ($7.00 a day + fees - discounts)
Last minute special + Promo code RKF017 + perks discount
Compact

2) July 7-13
Alamo - pick up Westin Tampa (free shuttle from port), drop off TPA
$ 36.09 ( $50.46 a week + fees - discounts)
Used Costco ID 7014627 & $30 Visa Coupon AD2338FDF
Fullsize

We are still hoping to get a different rental car co for the first leg of the trip. We have used Payless before and not had a problem but would prefer an on airport location.

I am very happy with this. We went from $325 ($265 + $60 in parking fees) to $130 ($104 + one way cab far to port).

My rate went down again today! New total is $117.54. Woo hoo!!! Keep checking those rates, people!

Picked up our 10 day full size rental today. TPA pickup, MCO drop off, Enterprise 50% code for $197. Wished I could have gotten it lower, but the Tampa pick up killed us. Did sweet talk the manager into an upgrade though. Ended up with a Hynduai Santa Fe SUV. Very nice and makes the price much sweeter!

Picked up our 10 day full size rental today. TPA pickup, MCO drop off, Enterprise 50% code for $197. Wished I could have gotten it lower, but the Tampa pick up killed us. Did sweet talk the manager into an upgrade though. Ended up with a Hynduai Santa Fe SUV. Very nice and makes the price much sweeter!
Good job! I will try and do the same when I pickup next Monday @ MCO :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter