~June 27, 2009 Western, anyone?~

That's funny. My DS15 looks like he should be a Big Ten linebacker. But he's given up all sports and is into ... um, acting. I think he has figured out that he has a good voice, it's easier to get lead roles when you're a boy, and you're surrounded by girls when you hang around the theatre. Whenever somebody meets him and asks his age, and then realizes he's huge for his age, the first thing they ask about is whether he plays football!

And DD13 is very slight for her age, go figure.

We too are trying to decide about excursions. Since we've already done dolphins and stingrays, I think we're gonna stick with one or two of the snorkel trips. My kids seem to be interested in the one with the Sea Doos and/or the 2-person motorboats.

LadyLion, speaking of DS's in theatre. Mine likes doing the backstage stuff. (kinda shy about being infront of crowd & new people) But has played a few minor roles during middle school. Does your DS play video games??

I wanted to go horseback riding in Cozumel, but DS's size makes that a no go. Along with a couple other things. And I have to ask my doc if I can do the parasailing on CC. Will probably walk/tour Key West on our own again.

Waiting to hear if I get the fuel surcharge as a OBC. I got a pretty good rate that I didn't rebook. So waiting.....

Hey, DS started backstage and then got out front - so you never know! He got talked into auditioning for West Side Story at his school and got the role of Riff. Then last year played Rum Tum Tugger in CATS. He's awaiting results of an audition with our community theatre, he will be either Warbucks or Rooster in Annie. My DD is into it too - right now they are both at a Beauty & the Beast rehearsal for a show in May. We love it, at least DH & I are not sitting out in the cold watching games (which is all I did as a kid, just sports.)

Anyway ... yes, video games for sure! He got a Wii last year so is pretty into that when he has time. He likes some of the Wii sports games, but he & his friends are really into Mario Kart. I read somewhere on the boards that there are Wii tournaments on the ship ... I sure hope DS doesn't spend our vacation playing video games too much, but he said he'd like to check out what's going on with Wii.

This is another weird thing he does ... he really likes Disney pins. Has been collecting since he was really little, we are DVC members so manage to get there pretty much each year. DD does it too, they each have a few lanyards full, but he seems to be more 'into it'. Sometimes we're embarassed when he wears them around the parks. He really isnt THAT strange - a football player-looking, stage singing, pin trader freak! :eek: We all like to tease, but he is very normal, believe me!

I too was thinking about parasailing on CC. I have parasailed a couple times, once on our honeymoon in Aruba. It was so cool, and I think being able to see the island from that perspective would just be awesome.

WooHoo! I checked my ressie on DCL and our dining time changed from second dining to MAIN dining! :banana:

Hmmm seems like the boat is not full. I'm gonna PIF in the next week and pray for an upgrade.:worship:

cmhand30 - that's great news! Glad you got the dining time you want. We have done both and now prefer the late seating, but I know everybody has different needs and the main seating works best for lots of families. Good that things worked out for you!!

I've been thinking through some things and am wondering if you all have these figured out.

First is Palo reservations. My DH and I will probably make reservations for the brunch and for a dinner. When we've sailed before we loved both, although it's always been tricky figuring out which night we want to skip dinner in our regular restaurant for dinner at Palo. I've been looking at lots of posts, but haven't yet come across one that lists out which nights have which themes in the dining room for the Western itinerary. Anybody think that through yet? We prefer to go to Palo for dinner on an evening when it is our second visit to one of the restaurants.

Has anyone ever been on the ship for Pirate night? That will be new to us, but since we're traveling with teens perhaps that is something to miss? I don't want to regret my decision if Pirate night is fun for all ages.

there is another website that has all the navigators on it give me a few minutes and I will find the link.

http://www.*****************/

As I believe Pirate Night is Weds. DH and I were not happy on the Wonder with this night. We couldn't get to the buffett or enjoy the entertainment due to the crush mass of people. We are thinking of doing Palo this night.
It is hard to make ressies without knowing exactly what rotation they put you on.

We are early risers and eaters around here. DH is in the Air Force so we are up before the sun during the week and eat dinner around 5-6 at night anyways. We are going to make brunch ressies also. I am kinda sad that DS can't enjoy these things. He is such a foodie. He loved his B-day dinner at Cali Grill two weeks ago.

Anybody know if there is any sushi onboard?

I guess this board is not share the word friendly. Hmm, go to castaway club dot c o m. You know what I am trying to say, or pm me and I will e-mail it to you. :rolleyes1

I found this website with navigators for the Western cruise.

http://www.*******************/m090124/westday0.htm

We like Pirate night, even though we are always too full to eat at the buffet. We dress for the night, and enjoy the party from deck 10, and then the fireworks. After that, we move on to something else (after we change, of course!)

We're trying to decide which night for Palo's also. We've done the brunch a couple of times and thought we would skip that in favor of dinner this time. It seems this cruise is so close, but yet still so far away!

I guess they only want you to go to the DU website for cruise information.

Can you imagine that suite guest on our cruise will be making Palo and excursion ressies in 2 days!

Castaway Club members can make ressies in 17 days! :cool1:

Hi all - thanks for the info. I'll look through some navigators and try to make a decision. Pirate night may be the answer for Palo, I think we might have enjoyed it a little better when our kids were little - but now they would die if I walked around with an eye patch or something!! :rolleyes1

cmhand30 - I had just seen something in the DCL Forum threads about sushi, so I did a search. There are a bunch of posts, so probably best for you to search and check them out. I'm not a sushi person, but it looks like there are some options on the ship and a bunch of opinions from other cruisers!

Funny, there is a thread on the DCL Forum right now about Palo dinner vs. Pirate night. I think I'm convinced - that's when we're going to try to get a Palo reservation. Although belle26, you got me thinking that the pirate things could be really fun, so maybe we'll still try to get to a little bit of the party/fireworks.

The other benefit to having Palo dinner that evening is because there is no stage show in the threatre - on other cruises, we let the kids do their thing with the kids clubs except we like them to join us for the stage shows and for dinner. So this will be one evening where they can do their thing and we'll do ours.

I just went through the navigators and lined up stuff by day - what port we'll be in (or at sea), the evening show, dinner attire, possible restaurant rotations. Then figured out when I'm going to make Palo brunch and dinner reservations. And as soon as I get this figured out ... Disney will change everything! (I did read somewhere that these things are supposed to change for the Western itinerary at some point.) Oh, well, it's a cruise and everything will be perfect no matter what!!

Ok, after a day spent teaching first graders how to copy an image from the Internet and paste it into Print Shop, I just have to say I am more than ready for this cruise! What was i thinking? Guess the answer is, I wasn't! Bring on those Konk Koolers!!

I noticed on the DCL website last night that the regular price for our cruise has dropped dramatically! I have been checking every couple of days for room availablility. I am thinking they really need to book rooms.

I got a military discount last Dec. Original booking was Sept. So I e-mailed TA to see if the military discount went further down also. Might be a good thing for everyone to check their rates. Great to get money back.

Charleen

Good morning everyone!
Thanks for the heads up but the price of our cruise is still the same, maybe because we only have 2 people per cabin?
Anyway... I see a few people here do musical theater... YIPPEEE! My DD12 is totally into it, just finished "Anything Goes" in her middle school. My DS17 goes into tech week for "Footloose!" starting tomorrow. He goes to all all boy's school and yep, he likes doing Musical Theater becasue he gets to hang out with the girls from the other schools that participate.
The school he goes to is known for it's athletes (Tom Brady and Barry Bonds amongst them) so whenever they hear he goes there they ask him "what sport do you play" and the answer "I do music and theater" is surprising. He's also very tall.
If any of your DD's 11-13 want to "meet" my DD12 let me know...
Maybe all the theater kids can participate in the talent show;)
And now, I must work.... see you all soon!

Hi all - thanks for the info. I'll look through some navigators and try to make a decision. Pirate night may be the answer for Palo, I think we might have enjoyed it a little better when our kids were little - but now they would die if I walked around with an eye patch or something!! :rolleyes1

My kids are used to me doing stuff like that... and it's better not to say anything or I'll add a parrot:lmao:

Hey wwwosie. My DD11 would love to get in touch with your DD12 and get to know her. If you want to, you can PM me, and I'll get you her email address so they can start chatting :)

I noticed on the DCL website last night that the regular price for our cruise has dropped dramatically! I have been checking every couple of days for room availablility. I am thinking they really need to book rooms.

I got a military discount last Dec. Original booking was Sept. So I e-mailed TA to see if the military discount went further down also. Might be a good thing for everyone to check their rates. Great to get money back.

Charleen

Price of our cruise jumped right back up today. I wonder what they are up to???
:confused:

Good morning everyone!
Thanks for the heads up but the price of our cruise is still the same, maybe because we only have 2 people per cabin?
Anyway... I see a few people here do musical theater... YIPPEEE! My DD12 is totally into it, just finished "Anything Goes" in her middle school. My DS17 goes into tech week for "Footloose!" starting tomorrow. He goes to all all boy's school and yep, he likes doing Musical Theater becasue he gets to hang out with the girls from the other schools that participate.
The school he goes to is known for it's athletes (Tom Brady and Barry Bonds amongst them) so whenever they hear he goes there they ask him "what sport do you play" and the answer "I do music and theater" is surprising. He's also very tall.
And now, I must work.... see you all soon!

OMG - how awesome is this?? Yes, my DD13 would love to meet another theatre person. And maybe my son would too. Footloose and Anything Goes - two GREAT shows!

Right now my kids are at Beauty & the Beast rehearsal (tonight their choreographer is teaching them the 'Human Again' dance). My daughter enters tech week for her school show next week ... she is playing Erzulie (the goddess of LOVE, yikes!) in Once On This Island. And next week they'll also start rehearsals for Annie which is scheduled for next fall.

SO - we have lots to talk about. (Plus Nittany Lions and Buckeyes - yay!) We love theatre and Disney (and Penn State football ...) so are glad we have things in common.

Both of my children would participate in talent shows and karaoke if they had a gang along with them. If I had to push them into it alone ... well, that would be another story!

And I'm sure they would like to communicate in advance if that works out for anyone. DS15 just started a facebook account (with the penalty that his mother has one too so she can watch him!) but we haven't yet allowed DD13 to get on Facebook. They also do have e-mail accounts for getting in touch with cruise buddies in advance. PM me if you'd like.

Now I'm off to the DCL Forum ... it's been a couple days since I've lurked and I'm still trying to think stuff through. Like excursions! We love to snorkel so just need to pick one from all the options.

FYI

Links to websites other than the wdwinfo are not allowed. Even when spelled out "creatively". I was just sent a private message and a 30 point infraction for doing it on another thread.

I guess there is a reason why I am usually on other boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter