Jungle Cruise Update Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just people that push back against "cancel culture" and think companies are being pansies by bowing down to the elitist left

I don't think you can blame this on the left. Too many people and companies are going crazy trying to not seem racist.

I hate to tell you all I told you so, but when they came out with how they were redoing Splash, I said look out, once they start they won't stop.

It's funny though isn't it? People have waited 70 years to start finding all of this stuff offensive. It's only been a thing since social media became a thing. Everyone likes to try to be the first one to point out something offensive or unjust. It's more about the self righteous, everyone look at me, I just posted a picture of my dinner, I gotta have attention, mindset of the world. Until social media is gone (and it never will be) it's just going to get worse.

People started saying something because there is finally a space for those viewpoints.

Do you really think slaves had no problem being slaves for 400 years? Do you really think black people had no problems with limited civil rights until the 60s? Do you think gay people didn’t have a problem with the way society treated them before the 90s and early 00s?

This world wasn’t built to hear everyone’s opinions 70 years ago. Women and BIPOC and LGBTQ people weren’t treated as equals. They still aren’t by parts of our world and country.

It’s that we have finally gotten to a place where everyone can finally start talking about this stuff without being shut down. People aren’t afraid anymore to speak the truth anymore. And if you can’t see that, then you are one lucky person who’s never had their identity used as a reason to be disregarded.

People started saying something because there is finally a space for those viewpoints.

Do you really think slaves had no problem being slaves for 400 years? Do you really think black people had no problems with limited civil rights until the 60s? Do you think gay people didn’t have a problem with the way society treated them before the 90s and early 00s?

This world wasn’t built to hear everyone’s opinions 70 years ago. Women and BIPOC and LGBTQ people weren’t treated as equals. They still aren’t by parts of our world and country.

It’s that we have finally gotten to a place where everyone can finally start talking about this stuff without being shut down. People aren’t afraid anymore to speak the truth anymore. And if you can’t see that, then you are one lucky person who’s never had their identity used as a reason to be disregarded.
Of course not but do you really think that they are making a stand by changing theme park rides? The fact still remains that just because things have changed, does not in any way mean that things didn't exist in the past. Making a big deal because the natives look...well, native to their area and the explorers at that time were probably pretty light skinned is just trying too hard to pick out problems. I mean they can change it all they want, it really means nothing to me. I'm all for updates, I'm looking forward to the Tiana make over, but I'm not a fan of the politics behind it all because if they keep changing and pretending that time never existed beyond the year 2000, then we're going to have nothing left of the Disney we grew up loving. I just think it's helping to divide us, not bring us together.

Of course not but do you really think that they are making a stand by changing theme park rides? The fact still remains that just because things have changed, does not in any way mean that things didn't exist in the past. Making a big deal because the natives look...well, native to their area and the explorers at that time were probably pretty light skinned is just trying too hard to pick out problems. I mean they can change it all they want, it really means nothing to me. I'm all for updates, I'm looking forward to the Tiana make over, but I'm not a fan of the politics behind it all because if they keep changing and pretending that time never existed beyond the year 2000, then we're going to have nothing left of the Disney we grew up loving. I just think it's helping to divide us, not bring us together.

Could someone say the same thing about people of color having separate public bathrooms. It's just a bathroom, right? Couldn't someone say the same about gay marriage. It's just a wedding, who cares, right? Are we only allowed to change the "big" things? Why can't the "small" things change, too?

If they didn't change Splash Mountain, would the world end? No. Will there suddenly be no more racism in the world? Of course not.

But everything we do, everything we say, and everything we create in our life culminates into one thing -- perception of intent. As people, we have a responsibility to be clear with our messages. What we say, what we wear, what we create, and what we do sends everybody a message about our intentions. Sometimes our intentions are aligned with reality. And sometimes they aren't. When people claim they are being mistaken for as racist, instead of defending themselves over and over again that they aren't racist, they should simply ask, "Why are people viewing me this way? Is it something I'm saying or doing that's causing this?" Because it doesn't matter what the real intent is. What matters is the perceived intent. If we want to be perceived as ourselves, we must be clear with our words and actions. And that takes work, because there are a lot of perceptions out there in the world.

Disney wants to be clear in its intent and so the perception aligns with it. There is no room for any sort of ties to anything that might have been racist. How is that bad? We do it as individuals all the time. I don't want any of my BIPOC students to think I'm a racist. I love them no matter what they look like, where they come from, what language they speak, or what they believe. So my actions and words must be in line with that. 100%. And when it isn't, I need to look inward and reflect on how my words or actions may have hurt someone, no matter how small and no matter what my intentions were. That's how we take care of each other. That's how we show respect for each other.

Perception is reality. And our intent must be deliberate and clear if we want to be perceived in the light we wish to be. No matter how small the changes are, Disney has made it clear that they are beginning to change antiquated rides based on (or tied to) racist ideas and content. They haven't done this for all of them, but these types of changes are slow and steady, not swift and quick.

My question is, why can we just let Disney take this stance and make these changes the parks? If it's such a small change, why make a big fuss about it at all? It's not about erasing the past or pretending it didn't exist. It's actually acknowledging the past and saying, "Nope, we don't want this in our parks anymore. We understand it may have been fine back then, but we know better now. It's not going to fix everything, but it shows people where we stand on the matter. So we are changing it."

I very much appreciate that we are allowed to have this conversation in a civil manner over the internet. Thank you for making me think more deeply about this! I'm always trying to learn and understand other people's perspectives.

Last edited:

I don't think you can blame this on the left. Too many people and companies are going crazy trying to not seem racist.

I hate to tell you all I told you so, but when they came out with how they were redoing Splash, I said look out, once they start they won't stop.
When has trying to seem not racist a bad thing? I really hope they don't stop anytime soon

No, it hasn't gotten to a place where everyone can finally start talking about this stuff without being shut down. It's gone beyond that. Now, the same people saying they wanted a voice want to shut down the voices they don't agree with. Looks like people really ARE the same.

In reality, many of those voices that said that we should all be color and gender blind have now used their voice to make color and gender the MOST important thing about someone. That's why, when someone sees a negative portrayal of someone of the same gender or skin tone as themselves, they have an immediate negative reaction. They think others are going to judge them based of a jungle tribesman with a shrunken head because that is EXACTLY how they have been taught to look at people. Turns out, we've created an entire new generation that is obsessed with the very superficial characteristics that were previously considered meaningless in respect to the person inside.

In reality, many of those voices that said that we should all be color and gender blind have now used their voice to make color and gender the MOST important thing about someone. That's why, when someone sees a negative portrayal of someone of the same gender or skin tone as themselves, they have an immediate negative reaction. They think others are going to judge them based of a jungle tribesman with a shrunken head because that is EXACTLY how they have been taught to look at people. Turns out, we've created an entire new generation that is obsessed with the very superficial characteristics that were previously considered meaningless in respect to the person inside.

You can treat everyone the same and acknowledge that we are all different. Minorities are not asking for color blindness or gender neutrality.

What minorities are asking for is the understanding that for their entire life people have decided what they are or who they were to become solely based on their physical appearance or identity.

I have been treated differently during my young life because I’m gay. It’s a part of my identity, but it’s not all of who I am. I understand that. So many straight people don’t. In fact, they only want to know about me being gay. Or they bullied me for it. Nothing else mattered to them. Or I was worthless to them simply because I am gay.

I don’t want me being gay to be ignored nor do I want it to be the only thing people see about me. Nor do I want people to make assumptions about who I am or what I like or how I act simply because I’m gay. But people do. All the time. And BIPOC deal with this all the time. And it’s even harder for them often because they can’t hide their race. I can at least make some efforts to conceal my sexuality.

So no. It’s not just about race and identity. But in our lives that’s all other people have made us out to be. We have to acknowledge that we are all different. Because we are! And thats okay. When we notice our differences, we can also recognize that we have all lived very different lives and have had very different experiences. And we also have to agree that we will treat each other with respect and fairness.

I will always recognize that we are different and yet I will give everyone the respect and kindness they deserve. That’s what keeps me from assuming that we all are living the same life experiences. Because we simply aren’t.

Last edited:
You can treat everyone the same and acknowledge that we are all different. Minorities are not asking for color blindness or gender neutrality.

What minorities are asking for is the understanding that for their entire life people have decided what they are who they were to become solely based on their physical appearance or identity.

I have been treated differently during my young life because I’m gay. It’s a part of my identity, but it’s not all of who I am. I understand that. So many straight people don’t. In fact, they only want to know about me being gay. Or they bullied me for it. Nothing else mattered to them. Or I was worthless to them simply because I am gay.

I don’t want me being gay to be ignored nor do I want it to be the only thing people see about me. Nor do I want people to make assumptions about who I am or what I like or how I act simply because I’m gay. But people do. All the time. And BIPOC deal with all the time. And it’s harder for them often because they can’t hide their race. I can at least make some efforts to conceal my sexuality.

So no. It’s not just about race and identity. But in our lives that’s all other people have made us out to be. We have to acknowledge that we are all different. Because we are! And thats okay. When we notice our differences, we can also recognize that we have all lived very different lives and have had very different experiences. And we also have to agree that we will treat each other with respect and fairness.

I will always recognize that we are different and yet I will give everyone the respect and kindness they deserve. That’s what keeps me from assuming that we all are living the same life experiences. Because we simply aren’t.

Yes. As a fairly privileged white guy who isn't gay -I get that I don't "get" it. I've never lived in your shoes or those of a POC. So natives holding spears in a jungle during a purposely silly ride through doesn't particularly phase me, and probably shouldn't based on my experiences. Likewise, as an Italian, I'm not necessarily offended(though some are) when Tony Soprano is portrayed beheading people in a TV show ...the reason could be that I haven't had to live my life bullied or looked at differently because of my heritage or who I am.

I can't say that I'm thrilled with the change, but if it bothers someone then I'm good with changing it ..I'm sure it won't impact my enjoyment. And pretty soon I'll be old enough where I'm not going to remember anything anyway!

Subliminal racism is still racism, even when unintended.

By reaching I mean seeing something that isn't there. Such as with Splash, where the ride isn't offensive at all. But the source material was. I'm honestly not sure what minority think they are being lumped in with a headhunter.

I also can't help but thinking would the headhunter scene be ok if it was a more accurate portrayal?

By reaching I mean seeing something that isn't there. Such as with Splash, where the ride isn't offensive at all. But the source material was. I'm honestly not sure what minority think they are being lumped in with a headhunter.

I also can't help but thinking would the headhunter scene be ok if it was a more accurate portrayal?
Round and round in circles we go...

This to me is a “plussing” of an attraction much like the old imagineers and Walt would say. It’s staying true to its theme and not adding in IP. This is really the thing we should want as Disney fans. Keeping an attraction fresh but still true to its origins.

Round and round in circles we go...

This to me is a “plussing” of an attraction much like the old imagineers and Walt would say. It’s staying true to its theme and not adding in IP. This is really the thing we should want as Disney fans. Keeping an attraction fresh but still true to its origins.
z
Sure. And I was all for it. But the whole it was offensive to a specific group I find a bit ridiculous. Who is really groping themselves in with headhunters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter