Just Back from BWV

Paul in CT

DIS Veteran
My DW and I just returned Sunday from 5 nights at a BWV Std room (and 3 nights at PO Riverside). Although my request for a high floor was not granted, our NS room on the first floor was very convenient to the pools and bus stop. We were so close to the door by the front driveway and the boat dock that we seldom had to go through the BW lobby for anything.

Our room had a few problems (burned out GFI circuit at counter, and burned out light bulb), but Engineering and Housekeeping took care of both problems quickly while we were at the parks after I reported them.

The high speed internet access worked flawlessly the two days I used it ($9.95/24 hours access). I think DVC members should get a discount on this as we do for phone calls (50% ??). ;) After all, many establishments now offer free wireless internet access.

We were able to upgrade our AP's to premium AP's with the DVC discount and received our "refund" quickly from Guest Services at the MK. Also, our DDE discount "letter" was honored with no problem at all of the full service retaurants. It's a little worn out now. :( I hope the card arrives before our next trip!

We also took advantage of our AP discount to stay a few nights at PO Riverside where we used to stay before joining DVC. It is a beautiful and relaxing resort and the food court there is quite good and reasonably priced, but I must admit we missed the microwave and extra space. ;) They now have small coffee makers (4 cup) and small refrigerators in every room. BTW, the TV's at the moderates are larger than the TVs in the DVC studios. :teeth:

We had excellent meals at Boma, Flying Fish Cafe (new chef), Le Cellier, Chefs de France (and a Napoleon from La Patisserie :earboy2: ), CRT (dinner) and Olivia's at OKW. My wife realy liked the "Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup at Olivia's. The atmosphere is great there and it was quite busy for lunch the day we left (5/29).

The crowds were much greater because of the approaching Memorial Day holiday, but the FastPass system worked well and we were able to do all the attractions that we wanted to. We even did "Soarin" twice! It's a great attraction! I was able to convince my DW to try it despite her fear of heights and drops. She kept her eyes open for the entire second ride!! I still haven't been able to get her to try "Splash Mountain", but I'm working on it. :)

Looking forward to our next trip in December............

Thanks for all the details - our next trip isn't until December either, and it's hard to refrain form "wishing my summer away", LOL. Your detailed trip report is helping a little.

Glad you had a good time - interesting about the refrigerators, coffee makers and TVs in the POR room. Since the only real difference between the mod room and the BWV studio, is now the microwave, perhaps you need to consider moving up to a 1 bedroom! :teeth:

Best wishes-

Funny you should mention the TV size! Recently I was in a Holiday Inn Express while visiting my daughter in college. It was an enormous and beauitiful room that was free with my priority savings club. A week later I was at VWL (deluxe?) in the studio and thought they had changed TV's, it was so small. Come on Disney, TV's are cheap, upgrade to a decent size! :rolleyes1

Thanks for the trip report. I can't wait until Dec either!

It was just my DW and I at the BWV studio, but we do have a 1BR reserved for our December trip when one of our children may be able to join us. If they can't, we will have room to spare, a microwave and a bigger TV! :goodvibes

I forgot to mention that we got to see both B.J. Thomas and Eric Burden at EPCOT for the Flower Power series. Both were outstanding and really into their performances as were the audiences (although much smaller than for the CP's in December - no lines to get in). BJ Thomas barely finished before the IllumiNations fireworks for the 8:15 show! EPCOT itself never looked better with all of the plantings and topiaries. We really got our money's worth with our AP's this year (and we still have some days left in December)! :)

It was just my DW and I at the BWV studio, but we do have a 1BR reserved for our December trip when one of our children may be able to join us. If they can't, we will have room to spare, a microwave and a bigger TV! :goodvibes

I forgot to mention that we got to see both B.J. Thomas and Eric Burden at EPCOT for the Flower Power series. Both were outstanding and really into their performances as were the audiences (although much smaller than for the CP's in December - no lines to get in). BJ Thomas barely finished before the IllumiNations fireworks for the 8:15 show! EPCOT itself never looked better with all of the plantings and topiaries. We really got our money's worth with our AP's this year (and we still have some days left in December)! :)

Did you have occasion to use the buses at the BW? I just read a recent trip report that indicates that the bus service there is still terrible....any thing you can add about that?

PKS44 said:
Did you have occasion to use the buses at the BW? I just read a recent trip report that indicates that the bus service there is still terrible....any thing you can add about that?

I don't want to hijack Paul's thread, but I'll add my $.02. We were at BWV about 3 weeks ago. We didn't feel that the waits for a bus were very long. One notable time around 4pm we just missed a Magic Kingdom bus. Another was only about 10 minutes behind.

But busses are still shared with the Dolphin and Swan. On the trip I mentioned above we were on our way to 5pm PS at Chef Mickey's. The bus arrived at BWV around 4:10 - 4:15pm. But we didn't arrive at the Magic Kingdom until 4:50 and were literally jogging to the Contemporary to make our PS.

Granted this particular trip did include about a 5-7 minute delay as a delivery truck decided to park in the bus lane at the Swan. :mad: But trips of 30+ minutes seemed to be the norm, with almost half of that time spent making the rounds at the D&S.

Paul in CT said:
My wife realy liked the "Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup at Olivia's. The atmosphere is great there and it was quite busy for lunch the day we left (5/29).

Thanks for the great report! My dd would LOVE the soup! :)

We did use the bus at BW, but only for travel primarily to the MK. While it does stop also at the Swan and Dolphin hotels, it didn't seem too bad this trip because we never waited long at the bus stop for it. :) Also, on the trip back from MK, especially in the evening, we usually got off at the Swan (1st stop) and walked over to BW to save some time. We noticed many BWV guests doing the same.

We also took the bus once to Animal Kingdom. That one stops at Blizzard Beach first.

Regarding the soup at Olivia's, our server asked us if we wanted the recipe. Although they did not have it printed up, she took our e-mail address and the chef promised to send it to my DW, but we haven't received anything yet. :sad1:

Paul in CT said:
Regarding the soup at Olivia's, our server asked us if we wanted the recipe. Although they did not have it printed up, she took our e-mail address and the chef promised to send it to my DW, but we haven't received anything yet. :sad1:

I had a mushroom soup recipe e-mailed to me from Yactsman. It came a year later. Better late than never!

Hey Paul,

great trip report. I am checking into PO-RS for my brother in Aug, i have never stayed there but it seems very nice, i'm a little worried now because there was a report on another thread about how dirty the rooms were??
Have you every had any problems at that resort. (i do not mean everyday wear & tear, i mean dirty underwear, used soap, that kind of dirty).

I think sometimes people forget that its a bus, not a personal transportation vehicle, its public transportation. there are days when it is gonna be full, or late or your gonna just miss the bus. Hey stuff happens, your on vacation chill. people watch

We stayed at the POP for a couple nights last month, the TV's were huge --27 inch I think. I heard they were the biggest TV's in any WDW resort. We also stayed a few night at the POLY, those TV's were small. I can't wait to go to BCV, I don't really need a TV there .... :sunny:

DeeDeeDis,

We found the rooms at PO RS to be very clean. We stayed one night in Acadian House and two nights at the end of our vacation at Oak Manor. Both were in perfect shape and spotless. In fact, the furniture looked fairly new. If we can get a good AP rate, we may stay there again a couple of nights on our next trip. The waterway there is beautiful and they even have horse drawn carriage rides. The resort has quite a relaxing feel to it. :)

Thanks Paul, Ive done alittle bit more research and with the river, boats, bikes, pool & slide its sounds like my brother and this three kids are gonna really enjoy this resort. I didn't realize you could take a boat to DTD, thats cool.

Actually friend & i are coming in October and need a room for Sat and Sun nites, was thinking of animal kingdom,but maybe will try here instead.

Paul - great report.

We think Olivia's is OKW's best kept secret. They make an unbelievable Red Snaper in Mango Butter over Lobster risotto. Their Penne Anigio with Chicken is to die for. And nowhere on WDW property can you beat the price. It's less than $3 for cappuchino!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter