Just returned from our saddest vacation ever.

parrotheadlois

DIS Veteran
We had the saddest thing happen to us on our trip. As you can see, we were going with my son and his family. My husband and I checked in on Saturday, July 16th at Port Orleans Riverside (still our favorite moderate), then on Sunday we checked into Old Key West for our first stay as DVC members in a bigger unit (we've stayed twice before as members, but in a studio which isn't much different than staying in the resort as a resort guest). But after waiting quite a while to check in, and while we were doing so I picked up our Hoop-Dee-Doo tickets for that night, we went outside to wait for my son (they were driving over), I noticed that we had had a phone call from my husband's parents. I had my phone on discreet and hadn't noticed the call. He returned the call, unfortunately, my mother-in-law who has been suffering from stomach cancer had died. Now our room isn't ready (it's only about 1 o'clock) and we're in turmoil, first we needed to cry and absorb what happened and then figure out what arrangements we needed to make. The CMs at OKW were great, particularly Concierge Christine and (I don't know his title) Justin. Justin arranged for us to use the OKW conference room so we could be by ourselves. But anyway, I know you all can understand that after planning this trip for almost 2 years, we were now in the situation of having to go home. This was Sunday, the earliest we could get out (without a ton of penalty charges from Continental Airlines - there doesn't seem to be any kind of bereavement policy), but that's a different story. I had to change the (pre-paid, non-refundable) Hoop-Dee-Doo. Needless to say, my husband and I were not in the mood for that, which was scheduled for that night. Thanks to Christine, they agreed to refund the money for my husband and me. Now I had to deal with the Princess Breakfast - the person making the reservations has to show photo id, they wouldn't budge, it was either cancel, or I had to show up. With a 7 year-old with her Snow White costume all ready there was no way we were cancelling. So the next day, we got up and took our car to the Magic Kingdom. Walked to the castle, explained, rather loudly why I was there and they just said it's ok, don't worry about it (they wanted me out of there and fast - they never looked at my id)....I actually would've gone to the breakfast, but my husband was with us (I also wouldn't leave him alone) and he didn't feel up to it so I didn't go. The kids (my daughter-in-law told me later) were upset when they realized we had left (I of course was then upset because they had gotten upset).

Then, because it was the one ride I had wanted to try and we were already out and about and it wasn't too hard to do, we rode the monorail to EPCOT and got fast passes for Soarin. Then we went to The Living Seas and saw a cute new animated film starring a turtle character (I bet you all know about it, I didn't). We saw a line, we had time to waste till our fast pass time, so we went. It was SOOO cute. Make sure you take your little ones - I will not say anything else! And then we went on Soarin which I just loved - it's too short - but I loved it. Then we walked around the countries, usually I like to shop but feeling like we were (very down and VERY hot), we just went back to OKW were I did go in the pool to cool off.

I'm sorry, I'm digressing, so I'll end here, bottom line, we're now home, the wake is tomorrow and the funeral Thursday.

Oh, I'm sorry, please indulge me one more digression - I was not only lucky enough to get Cindy's Breakfast at 8:20, I was lucky enough to get a Grand Villa 7 months out (OKW is not my home resort) and I was extremely lucky and got an Illuminations cruise for Thursday night and the boat will be decorated for my grandson's birthday, which is Saturday. Some of these things at the time I was so upset about, I just couldn't talk...I hadn't told any of my son's family, I was just gonna tell them where to park and walk to the dock and have them all see the boat. I of course had to explain the whole thing to my son and they'll still keep it a secret for my grandson.
Thank you for indulging me. (PS The Villa was gorgeous, OKW was so nice, we will have to try again some time). My son and his family are at least getting to use the villa, obviously I still wanted them to have the best time ever. And (ok, grandmas), I didn't even get a chance to say good-bye to the kids (cause of much crying this morning) because last night was Extra Hours at the Magic Kingdom - believe it or not - with a 7, 8 and 9 almost 10 year old, they were at MK till 2 o'clock AM!!! I had tried to wait up for them and then just couldn't. My son helped us with our bags today and (with all the crying going on) offered to wake them up but I said no (I didn't think seeing their hysterical grandma would be good for them)

I'm sorry to have such a downer story, it's just that I knew you all would understand all the emotions - the extreme sadness over my mother-in-law's death, she was just the best, I really loved her and then the almost 2 years in planning the vacation which, for us, is now over.
thank you all.

Hi,
I am so very very sorry for your loss.
My thoughts are with you and family, I hope you can enjoy your family and enjoy WDW again very soon.

Take care,
Kristin

A sad heart here for you and your loss. Your family is in my prayers. God Bless!

:grouphug:

:hug: So sorry about your family and the timing. WDW will be there when you are able to return.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I hope you and your family can plan another WDW soon and it be enjoyable for everyone. :grouphug:

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine the emotional rollercoaster you are dealing with. :grouphug:

My deepest sympathy on your loss. I am glad that amidst your grief there were still a few smiles and good things in your short trip.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's wonderful to know how much you loved your mom-in-law. She must have been a great lady!

Glad your kids and grandkids could still get their fair share of Disney magic...and I'm sad that you werent' able to stay and enjoy it this year.
I hope you get to make up for it next year tho!

Sending you a big HUG!

I'm so sorry about your loss. We had a similar thing happen when we were at WDW in March. We had rented points & planned a very special week for my dd's 17th birthday.
My fil had been in the hospital before we left for a mild stroke, but he appeared to be getting better. We went ahead & left for Disney, but he unfortunately passed away in the middle of our stay - on my dd's birthday. We too had to scramble to make arrangements to get back - AirTran didn't have a bereavement fare available & we ended up having to pay for 1st class seats to even find a way back home - it was the middle of Spring Break & every thing was booked.

Hope everything goes well with the services & you get to plan another trip soon.

Parrotheadlois,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers going out to you. My dh just lost his mom this past year to cancer. She traveled with us to WDW often and right up until the 12 months before she passed. On one trip to OKW, the chemo had her feeling bad and our room wasn't ready. I can't say enough about how kind the CM at OKW were. They walked her into Olivia's, sat her down in a quiet area and gave her ginger ale and saltines to settle her stomach. In addition to this, two CM's sat and talked with her. She was feeling better in no time, but it was just one of those special moments where CM's really shine.
Again, hope you and your family find peace in the memories...... :grouphug:

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter