Kids 1st trip-an ever changing PTR-Update: 12-21 Itinerary 6.0 is now done

HA! Chuck E Cheese is one of my older kids' vague memories from the US. It's been probably 10 or more years since we've been, but I think the noise and games and little show they have really made an impression. I know that the pizza certainly made an impression on me- NOT!! :lmao: More likely the "impression" was on my car seat on the way home! :rotfl2:

I think the characters are well trained in interaction with kids who are easily frightened. Like Kathy says, just let them know, and you should be fine.

Glad the boys had a great time at Chuck E Cheese. We always enjoy going there.

I like Mickey Mom's idea of scheduling the character meals towards the end of the trip.

Sounds good to limit the character experiences at first.... maybe try booking them towards the latter part of your vacation too? Let them get used to seeing them around the parks first?

Love your second half of your list by the way...

Yep, I'm going to try and book Chef Mickey's for our last day, try to start that as a tradition. Then I'm thinking Crystal Palace, sometime in the middle of the week. We'll see... only time will tell right?

I have the deluxe PassPorter and I love it, it functions not only as a planner, but an organizer as well (there are pockets for each day so you can slip things like tickets and receipts inside.) I also love the colorfl fold-out park maps.

Every year I get the updated filler pages and save the old maps for Billy to play with... they are smaller and sturdier than the Disney park maps.

PassPorter's Open Mouse, the book for special needs, does not have the organizer pockets or the maps in color, but I bought that one too because it has nice chapters on ASD's, ASHD and anxiety issues.

It will be hit-and-miss at Disney I think. Billy was five on his first trip and he was frightened of the non-face characters. He was more comfortable with face characters like the princesses and Aladdin.

Just take it slow... I think character meals are awesome.

Let the character "handler" know about your son's issues and thew will let the character CM know... they are usually careful to be non-threatening with special-needs kids.

Kathy

Yeah, Jack will be five on this trip, so yep about the same. I hadn't realized when I ordered our passporter (I got the deluxe edition for all the reasons you listed) that the open mouse was separate, so now I have to go back and add that I suppose, because that was my whole reason for getting the passporter-at least that is what I told DH.

HA! Chuck E Cheese is one of my older kids' vague memories from the US. It's been probably 10 or more years since we've been, but I think the noise and games and little show they have really made an impression. I know that the pizza certainly made an impression on me- NOT!! :lmao: More likely the "impression" was on my car seat on the way home! :rotfl2:

I think the characters are well trained in interaction with kids who are easily frightened. Like Kathy says, just let them know, and you should be fine.

Yep, there was a lot going on that night, but Jack had a mellow day and the evening for him went perfect, minus the Chuck E experience. He even said he would want to go again. (We had been before, but it had been awhile, and before there was always something that bothered him). He is doing so much better this year. :)

Oh how funny!! Hopefully their reactions to Disney characters will be much different--especially since they are so familiar with them!! :goodvibes

I finished my first 5K this weekend, my only goal was to finish, now next month I want to beat my time. We had a little scare at the end of the race though, Jack wondered off to look for me, and was lost for about 10 minutes (he didn't know he was lost, no reaction to what we tried to tell him about walking off). And the music at the event was too loud it sent him running when we were trying to eat. So top of my list to order this week are those noise reducing headphones. Which I think will be great for WDW and our "regular" life.

Now for WDW planning:
These are the ones I have picked out of the book "Hidden Mickeys...A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets."

But I will cut the list down before the trip I think, though I have picked ones that don't interfere with our "fun" and the "adventure of a first trip."

Magic Kingdom:

Tomorrowland
*Walk to Tomorrowland and get a Fastpass for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Spot the classic Mickey on the Fastpass machine.
*Search for two classic Mickey's in a star field.
*Tomorrowland Transit Authority: In the last part of the ride, observe the accessories of the woman getting her hair done.

Fantasyland
* Peter Pan's Flight: Just before you get to the entrance queue turnstile, look closely at the bark of the trees facing the loading area to find a classic Hidden Mickey.
*Pooh's Playful Spot: Search for a Mickey made of rocks embedded in the tree
*Pooh's Playful Spot: Find a side profile of Mickey in the bark.

Adventureland:
*Jungle Cruise: Search the side of the river for Donald Duck's face on a native.

Main Street:
* Look around the outside of Crystal Palace restaurant.

Up next...finding Hidden Mickeys in Epcot

HI Jessica!

THis list looks great! Not too many for a first trip. You'll have a great time finding them, and you'll be surprised how many you all find just on your own. Make sure to take pictures!

After I finish my lists of other kinds of hidden gems to look for, I'll start on my list of HMs I want to find.

Did you see my note about starting to think about a meet in Nashville on my PTR? What do you think??

I haven't posted in a while... BAD DISer!!!!:sad2:

I think your boys reaction to seeing the characters in WDW will be very different. I really think you have nothing to worry about.

I need to buy that Hidden Mickey book.:rolleyes:

HI Jessica!

THis list looks great! Not too many for a first trip. You'll have a great time finding them, and you'll be surprised how many you all find just on your own. Make sure to take pictures!

After I finish my lists of other kinds of hidden gems to look for, I'll start on my list of HMs I want to find.

Did you see my note about starting to think about a meet in Nashville on my PTR? What do you think??

I have to post the Epcot ones sometime today or tomorrow. I've been gathering up homeschooling lesson plans off the internet.

Yes, looking forward to our DISmeet next year in Nashville. I'm 3 hours in the opposite direction like Mary, so Nashville seems like a great meeting spot to me.

I haven't posted in a while... BAD DISer!!!!:sad2:

I think your boys reaction to seeing the characters in WDW will be very different. I really think you have nothing to worry about.

I need to buy that Hidden Mickey book.:rolleyes:

no worries, I have not posted much these days as I have been working, and running the kids around, etc. Yes the HM book is a DISer MUST :lmao:

So I was in the car with my DH the other day, and I asked if he thinks he could handle the boys for a weekend when they are 6 and 3, and he says... "I can handle them now"... my reaction "oh ok" (my thought...yeah right :rolleyes1), then he asks why, and I say well because I'm not doing the 1/2 marathon in 2010, so I thought I'd take a trip out to do the princess princess: half in 2011... to which he responds...."so what do you mean? you mean you are going without us?":scared1: to which I say well you said we didn't really have a budget to go in 2011 if we did this big trip in 2010... and he says "well we are all going.":rotfl::lmao::banana::cheer2: so I have another trip to plan for :yay:

Wooohhoooo!!! Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!! That's awesome!!

I sure haven't "seen" you much. But understand as you start the journey of homeschooling. Let me know if you want anymore tips, or just need a pep talk! :cheer2:

HA! His way of "handling it" will no doubt be vastly different from your idea of "handling it". :lmao:

... to which he responds...."so what do you mean? you mean you are going without us?":scared1: to which I say well you said we didn't really have a budget to go in 2011 if we did this big trip in 2010... and he says "well we are all going.":rotfl::lmao::banana::cheer2: so I have another trip to plan for :yay:

Yay!! :woohoo:

Kathy

Jessica,
I hope everything is well. I just re-read the beginning of your TR and realized we will be WDW the same time as you!!!! Did you make your ADRs yet? The online system is up and there are many restaurants that have openings. I hope you get everything you want!!! :goodvibes

EDIT:: I might of missed something.. Our tickers are not even close to each other.. Did you change your dates?

Wooohhoooo!!! Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!! That's awesome!!

I sure haven't "seen" you much. But understand as you start the journey of homeschooling. Let me know if you want anymore tips, or just need a pep talk! :cheer2:

HA! His way of "handling it" will no doubt be vastly different from your idea of "handling it". :lmao:

Yeah I think I'm going to be a weekend DISer now, during the week by the time I get home I'm exhausted, and then checking over Jacks worksheets and helping him with other work and our reading and discussions just leave me with little energy to stay up.

Yay!! :woohoo:

Kathy

I'm super excited, I think you all did the half marathon in January one year right? I just barely survived my first 5k, so hope I can build up enough endurance in the next year to complete the princess half.

Jessica,
I hope everything is well. I just re-read the beginning of your TR and realized we will be WDW the same time as you!!!! Did you make your ADRs yet? The online system is up and there are many restaurants that have openings. I hope you get everything you want!!! :goodvibes

EDIT:: I might of missed something.. Our tickers are not even close to each other.. Did you change your dates?

Yep our plans changed several times- to June and back to March, and now we are set on June. We are going to do March in 2011 assuming the princess half is scheduled again. I still need to get caught up on your TR and PTR, that will happen hopefully tomorrow. :)

in my news: this weekend I plan to firm up our dates and book our package. My parents are looking to buy a trailer and so are planning to stay at the campsite on Disney property, so now my Great Aunt is going to stay with my little family and we will need to get a handicap room for her to have a walk in shower, and to try and get a good location for her to not have to walk too much (though we will have a wheel chair for her). Ok that is all, I still need to post my hidden mickeys for the next park and then I'll let you all know our set dates sometime this weekend too.

Hi Jessica. Sorry haven't been out here much. Are you homeschooling?

Sounds like you have a lot of trips planned. I'm debating getting off my butt and trying the half princess maration and thought 2011 would be good, so I could prepare for a year.

in my news: this weekend I plan to firm up our dates and book our package. My parents are looking to buy a trailer and so are planning to stay at the campsite on Disney property, so now my Great Aunt is going to stay with my little family and we will need to get a handicap room for her to have a walk in shower, and to try and get a good location for her to not have to walk too much (though we will have a wheel chair for her). Ok that is all, I still need to post my hidden mickeys for the next park and then I'll let you all know our set dates sometime this weekend too.

Booking this weekend.. :cool1:.. how exciting! I'm a little jealous too because I don't have anything to book :rotfl: Can't wait to hear your plans!

Hi Jessica. Sorry haven't been out here much. Are you homeschooling?

Sounds like you have a lot of trips planned. I'm debating getting off my butt and trying the half princess maration and thought 2011 would be good, so I could prepare for a year.

Yes temporarily homeschooling, it's harder since I'm also working, so it's a team homeschooling effort. My Mom is doing worksheets with him during the day and letting him continue to do his computer games which have learning in them. Then at night I have expanded on just reading a story, we read the same story all week and do things related to the story, and we added in bible stories and spanish words. The curriculum at the private school we are trying to get him into is bigger than what we have doing.

You should totally train for the princess half for 2011, that would be great to run together :cheer2:or collapse together :rotfl: Either way it would be fun

Booking this weekend.. :cool1:.. how exciting! I'm a little jealous too because I don't have anything to book :rotfl: Can't wait to hear your plans!

I'm sure you'll be booking a December trip pretty soon ;)

Hey all we are booked, I'm so excited, we decided on:

Me, DH, Jack, Joey, and my Great Aunt Bea will be staying at All Star Movies (I know a lot of people don't like the All Stars, but we are so excited about the possibility of a Buzz & Woody room). We requested a handicap accessible room with walk in shower and bench for my Aunt.

We are staying Saturday June 5- Saturday June 12. And we will be on the quick service dining plan, but we are planning a few table service meals that we will pay out of pocket. With the moods of my boys and their reactions to characters recently we decided that this will be the best dining situation for us this first trip. Plus we will be bringing many food items for Jack and his special diet. And we are getting 7 day base tickets.

My Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother in Law, and Niece will be staying at the campsite in the trailer they are planning to purchase. They are staying in a preferred spot with full hook up. They will also be on the quick service dining plan and are getting 7 day base tickets. They are however staying Friday June 4- Saturday June 12. And also plan on at least one table service meal.

Ok now for you mathematicians or just you people that pay close attention to details, yes you counted correctly and we have once again become a Grand Gathering. My sister and her little family are not 100% for going, but the chances are pretty high. So we are planning for the ten of us.

That is about all I have for you, still working on my hidden mickey quest updates and time is slipping away from me, I feel like I have a lot of time but also feel like I don't have so much time to decide on those table service ADR's. So I'll be working on those in the next couple weeks as well.

Hurray for dates!!!!:woohoo:

OK now that the All-Stars are booked.... time to start the 'real' planing!!!! LOL:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter