Kids need to know a lot of adults play vmk

My point was that adults manage their online time, kids don't. I think it's a good thing that kids have someone to let them know when enough is enough.

What about when they elbow their way to the front of the line for the slide?

I'm not saying adults should stop playing VMK. Just realize that it was a game created for kids. No, Disney isn't going to stop adults from playing, but 8-14 remains the target audience.
I must say you bring up things I used to ponder a lot, before I got so "assimilated" into VMK that I stopped thinking very much about age differences.

Yes, it's a game that was primarily created for children. Your playground analogy is interesting; I know one former community leader who deliberately stayed out of lines for staff games because she wanted to make room for the kids.

The hardest thing for me to come to terms with has been trading. While I know that many of our young traders are quite savvy, I always worry about the playing field being uneven in terms of life experience.

However all the kids "pwn" me at the games, so I feel no need to apologize for playing against them! :laughing:

My point was that adults manage their online time, kids don't. I think it's a good thing that kids have someone to let them know when enough is enough.

Unfortunately, not all kids have someone watching the amount of time spent on the computer as evidenced by the frequent "caveman" talk I see. i no ( I know), i trade u wat u want?? ( What do you want to trade for that?), etc. Also some of the behavior and language show that they may need a bit more moderation at home.

And yes, most adults do better with time management. That was something we learned. Juggling school, after school activities, and VMK can help kids learn how to become better at that.

When VMK was being built. Disney thought it was for ages 8-14. They have since realised that this age span was wrong. The hosts of VMK will tell you they are seeking players of all ages.

And yes, most adults do better with time management. That was something we learned. Juggling school, after school activities, and VMK can help kids learn how to become better at that.
That's not what she said, Horse. She didn't say adults have better time management, she said they get to manage their online time. As in, they're the ones who decide when the computer goes off, not their parents or anyone else. As for your comments about 'caveman talk', I don't see what that has to do with whether or not those kids have limits on their screen time. Netspeak can be annoying, but it's not actually a sign of poor moral fiber or lack of supervision. And even though I'm sure some kids don't have screen time limits placed on them by other people, how does it change the fact that most kids do, and most almost all adults don't?
The hardest thing for me to come to terms with has been trading. While I know that many of our young traders are quite savvy, I always worry about the playing field being uneven in terms of life experience.
I have the same problem, to the point where I'd rather accept a little less than my items are probably worth than try to 'drive a hard bargain' against someone who, for all I know, isn't even out of middle school. I know, I'm a sucker, but it's better than worrying that I might be unknowingly taking advantage of someone younger than me.

It always makes me smile when I hand over an item that another player's excited about or has been working towards, though, and that's really the fun part of trading for me, anyway. :) Of course, then there are always the ones who want to trade their fifteen tank tops for your confetti magic. :rolleyes:

I have personally found that its kids who set the prices in vmk not the adults. Our life experience doesnt help us at least in my opinion on what an item is worth.

Adults would reason that a stitch box, a stitch pin and a stitch hat are worth the same. Makes sense right? There should be the exact same amount in the game since they are a set.

Kids told us differently. We adapt to them when it comes to trade value. Always my experience at least.

Ah, but if Pip had never talked with this criminal stranger, he never would have received the later bounty from his mysterious benefactor. So what's the lesson learned again?

Ricks (who knows Estella well)

I asked that you interpret the passage, not the story. I know very well that Abel was Pip's benefactor. This is my Oral Interpretation piece :rotfl2:

That's not what she said, Horse. She didn't say adults have better time management, she said they get to manage their online time. As in, they're the ones who decide when the computer goes off, not their parents or anyone else. As for your comments about 'caveman talk', I don't see what that has to do with whether or not those kids have limits on their screen time. Netspeak can be annoying, but it's not actually a sign of poor moral fiber or lack of supervision. And even though I'm sure some kids don't have screen time limits placed on them by other people, how does it change the fact that most kids do, and most almost all adults don't?
I

And if they managed their online time better, they could be further up the economic scale in VMK. Sitting in taken and baby daycare rooms doesn't get you too far in earning credits or on a top ten list. That's my point.

And the "caveman talk" has nothing to do with "poor moral fiber or lack of supervision". Where did I say that? It shows that somebody should be spending less time on the computer gaming and more time in the books studying.

No, it doesn't, Horse. It shows that they've learned, somewhere, that this is how people their age talk online. It doesn't mean they don't know any better, and it certainly doesn't mean that they don't have an adult managing their screen time. Which is what you implied it did. Otherwise, what did you mean by "Unfortunately, not all kids have someone watching the amount of time spent on the computer as evidenced by the frequent "caveman" talk I see."?

Netspeak can be annoying, but it does not say anything negative about the kids who use it, especially in vmk where the conversation is live and you have to type fast to keep up. It's part of the way kids interact with their peers. If they use it in school, that's a problem, but it's their teacher's job to scold them about it, not yours, and you can't assume that just because they don't use perfect English online, that means they're behind on their grammar lessons. In fact, the research I've seen says that most kids know exactly when netspeak is okay and when it's not, just like they know that they can't or shouldn't talk the same way to their parents, their peers, and their teachers.

And your other point is, frankly, completely irrelevant. There are some kids who don't dedicate themselves to climbing the 'economic scale', but spend their time playing in guest rooms. They're having fun (which, to my mind, means they're 'winning' vmk). There are other kids who do try to earn credits, get into host rooms, and so on. Those are the kids we're talking about here, not the socializers. It can be hard for those kids to compete with adults, because they have less online time to 'manage' than most of the adults who are so high up that 'economic scale.' Pointing out the kids who don't spend time earning credits as if that's the only reason why a kid might have a harder time getting 'rich' than an adult is a logical falllacy.

And yes, most adults do better with time management. That was something we learned.
I had great time management until I discovered that VMK was much more fun than :laundy:. Now I only "manage" to spend too much "time" on VMK.

Netspeak can be annoying, but it does not say anything negative about the kids who use it, especially in vmk where the conversation is live and you have to type fast to keep up.

I guess it's just that I'm not one to excuse laziness. If it's not a lack of education, then it's being a slacker.

I had great time management until I discovered that VMK was much more fun than :laundy:. Now I only "manage" to spend too much "time" on VMK.
Too much is never enough :)

They use the same spelling, if not worse, on the forum. There is no race on that. VMK also only allows you to type so fast. And kids nowadays type so fast they could easily spell it correctly.
So? I said especially in vmk, not exclusively in vmk. The speed limit on vmk is pretty generous, really, given the number of characters you can get in a line: I type 70+ words per minute and I rarely run up against it in normal conversation unless I type a few very short sentences in a row. But how do you know how fast 'kids nowadays' in general type, let alone how fast each individual netspeaker on vmk types?

I'll say it again: the fact that a kid uses netspeak online does not mean that they use it everywhere or that they don't know how to use proper English when the situation calls for it. It may annoy you, but it doesn't mean that they need to spend more time "in the books" and it certainly doesn't mean that their parents don't limit their online time. Any other arguments about how they 'could' use normal written English are irrelevant; online, they don't. It's a cultural thing. Most of them will grow out of it. Don't go judging them over it.

I'll say it again: the fact that a kid uses netspeak online does not mean that they use it everywhere or that they don't know how to use proper English when the situation calls for it. It may annoy you, but it doesn't mean that they need to spend more time "in the books" and it certainly doesn't mean that their parents don't limit their online time. Any other arguments about how they 'could' use normal written English are irrelevant; online, they don't. It's a cultural thing. Most of them will grow out of it. Don't go judging them over it.

Amen.

I find your posts to be increasingly stereotypical, Horse.

I guess it's just that I'm not one to excuse laziness. If it's not a lack of education, then it's being a slacker.
Didn't notice you'd edited your post until after I responded. No, it's not laziness, and no, it's not slacking. They do it because it's fun, or because it's silly, or just because everyone else does it and it's cool. (And don't give me the 'if all your friends jumped off a bridge' argument unless you never once joined in on a single silly fad when you were a kid. Pet rocks? Gigantic poofy bangs? Gellies?) It's not a bad thing. It's about playing with language. Didn't you ever make up code words or secret symbols with your friends? They're online to have fun and play, and that's what they're doing. They're not at school, why should they have to act like they are?

Didn't notice you'd edited your post until after I responded. No, it's not laziness, and no, it's not slacking. They do it because it's fun, or because it's silly, or just because everyone else does it and it's cool. (And don't give me the 'if all your friends jumped off a bridge' argument unless you never once joined in on a single silly fad when you were a kid. Pet rocks? Gigantic poofy bangs? Gellies?) It's not a bad thing. It's about playing with language. Didn't you ever make up code words or secret symbols with your friends? They're online to have fun and play, and that's what they're doing. They're not at school, why should they have to act like they are?

:thumbsup2 My kid gets all A's in school, types more than 130 wpm, and still occasionally talks Net talk in VMK. She also manages to get top place in school essay contests and other state writing tests. She gets a ton of homework and does projects by the truckload. She still finds time to read books more than 600 pages at a time in less than 2 weeks. VMK is her fun time...she can spend it however she wishes. So, what do I say about her talking in silly abbreviations? I say go right ahead my dear. :goodvibes

I keep coming back to this thread... thinking it over in my mind... I can really see both sides.

I love how on VMK there really is no age to any of us. We're all "kids". This game has a way of breaking down that age barrier. We hang out, we play games, we have fun... doesn't matter the age. I have a few friends on my list that honestly I have NO IDEA of they are kids or adults. I actually thought my good pirate friend, JEDIYODA, was a kid for the loooooongest time. :) But my point is.... it doesn't really matter, does it.

However.... and I don't want to come across judgmental here.... but last year when I was at Disney, I stopped in at VMK Central shortly after 10 a.m. to turn in my quests. An older man was already at one of the computers playing VMK. Now he was probably in his late 50's, very unkempt man, just not someone you would picture playing a "kids game." (please don't flame me!) Anyways, curiosity got the best of me and I approached him, watching the game over his shoulder. I wanted to see first off if I knew this character in the game. He's in a crowded trade room interracting, reading and responding to messages... I got the sense he was very well-known and popular just based on the amount of messages he was getting in the 5 minutes I was watching. I'm trying to make conversation with him... he's grunting back at me... too involved in the game apparently. Or I was probably making him uncomfortable perhaps since I was practically breathing down his neck, LOL! But I have to say.... it was a little weird watching him with all those kids in the trade room. I KNEW who was behind his little avatar... those kids had NO IDEA. I'm telling you, even though I'm an adult that plays, it kind of creeped me out. If I had a daughter playing this game, I would be very uncomfortable with her hanging out with this man on a regular basis. Actually, I wouldn't want my 10-year old son hanging out with him....

I came back to VMK Central at parade time. Well, wouldn't you know, this man is still there at the same computer! OK, I can't resist. I walked back up to him and commented about how he was still there... and hadn't he even been on any rides at all that day.... He finally makes eye contact with me and says... "what? there are rides here?" OK...... backs away very slowly.... ;)

So I don't know... VMK is both creepy AND fun.... :teeth:

I came back to VMK Central at parade time. Well, wouldn't you know, this man is still there at the same computer! OK, I can't resist. I walked back up to him and commented about how he was still there... and hadn't he even been on any rides at all that day.... He finally makes eye contact with me and says... "what? there are rides here?" OK...... backs away very slowly.... ;)

So I don't know... VMK is both creepy AND fun.... :teeth:

That is eerie. Kids can be very trusting. I just hope this "person" never gets the chance to make arrangment to meet any of the children.

I also wonder if he caught the eye of the staff at VMK Central. I certainly hope so, and they flagged his account. "NEEDS TO BE WATCHED" Of course he may just enjoy VMK and has no bad intentions.

I do wonder why anyone would go to the park just to play a game. Expecially when he so obviously has a computer at home. Why else would the kids in the trade room know his character so well.

I got on VMK for one reason (I am a 38 year old Dad). I got divorced and now my children live too far away for me to see them, but once every two weeks. VMK allows me to "play" with them, to "talk" with them, and to be there the best I can.

I earn tons of credits by playing the games and give them virtual gifts when I can.

Life sucks sometimes, and don't assume all adults who play "kid" games are perverts. And yes, there are a ton of adults who play...thank goodness.

BlueHairedMonkey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter