• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids on shoulders comments

Courtesy works both ways.
We make choices.

I happily sit on the curb with an ice cream cone, (or coffee) and wait for parades.
I people watch. It's entertaining, and I know after years of trips, that this is "the plan." I chat with the other curb people. I'm happy.

When the parade starts our family tries to accomomdate little ones.
There was one mother, once, tho, who told me to move. Yes, she ordered me to move for her children.
Her comment, "Disney is for children." I heard this same comment at Chef Mickey when I waited to get a picture with Goofy and Donald and a lady pushed in front of me because "Disney is for children."
That didn't win me over.

But, for Castle shows, fireworks, and other night time events, I have been bonked in the head (5'3" is exactly the height for getting zapped) repeatedly with backpacks. Heavy backpacks.

I wish they were not allowed in the park.

And, I have yet to get an apology. It's sort of understood I guess, my head got in the way of your backpack, so my fault.

And as for waiting over an hour for a parade spot, well, my time is as valuable to me as yours it to you. If I chose to spend it waiting for a parade then I miss out on some other attraction...and if you don't then you don't get the front spot. It's your choice. Maybe you would wait an hour for Peter Pan or one of the Mountains. Maybe I wouldn't. Choices and Courtesy, today's post was brought to you by the letter C.

if Disney plans any remodels around the parade route they could include some
wide steps or some shallow slopes to give the people in the back an
elevated view similar to to a movie theater. I'm thinking the temp. alum.
type stands might have safety issues.

I was at the castle lighting ceremony the other night. Two Dads just as it was starting came from the back of the crowd with their kids on their shoulders. They blocked lots of people that had been standing there. I don't think that is right.

You know, this is an interesting topic. I'm 6'6", and I always feel sorry for the person or persons behind me. Seems no matter what, I'm probably going to block someone's view. I never know whether I should slouch or what! I do try to let people with small children through so they can get a better view. I will say that I don't tend to stand in the front, but towards the back during parades or fireworks, since I can usually see over most people -unless of course, there's a person with a child on their shoulders. If the child is younger and/or shorter, it's not a problem, but if they're older and/or taller, they even manage to block my view, lol! I don't let it bother me so much since I'm an AP and come all the time, so if I don't see every part of "Wishes" or some other show, I can come back, but I know that's a luxury most people here don't have.

I tend to be fairly pro-active when it comes to this issue. My kids are getting to the point where they are too big for our shoulders but are still far shorter than adults standing in front of them.

During our last trip we viewed two parades and each time we got there about 20 minutes ahead of time. It was not peak season, so this is when most folks started staking out their territory. Naturally, just as things were about to begin, there was that last minute jockeying for position that goes on and thus several folks (adults and kids alike) lost their view. So I just spoke up to all of those in our immediate area and said..."Why don't we let all the kids just sit right on the curb, get the older kids on their knees behind the kids on the curb and let the adults stand behind the kids?" I said it politely and enthusasically...almost making it sound like a game for the kids. Pretty much everyone in the area immediately jumped on the idea and helped get everyone in place. Result...three rows of folks all with unobstructed views. I looked around each time to see if anyone seemed put off or upset and did not detect any negative vibes. so I think it worked out well for all involved.

I should mention that I did this becasue a few years ago while waiting for the MK parade to start, there was a GREAT CM on the parade route who was helping folks find spots for the parade. He led some older adults to an area where they could see easily...and then he came over to our section and organized the kids in the manner that I just explained. He then went on and was asking guests if they needed assistance seeing the parade route, etc. They already have a bunch of CMs on the parade route before the parade starts....just train these folks to organize the viewers a bit and I am willing to bet there will be fewer complaints about this issue (though it will never be completely resolved...we all know the rude behavior that unfortunately happens at Disney and even with CMs politely asking folks to do a certain thing, those rudesters will simply do what THEY want).

Now maybe this type of thing would annoy those of you who have gotten your spot 2 hours ahead of time. If so, then I certainly apologize. However, as long as everyone can see well, I think that is more important than how long you have been sitting there waiting.

When the parade starts our family tries to accomomdate little ones.
There was one mother, once, tho, who told me to move. Yes, she ordered me to move for her children.
Her comment, "Disney is for children." I heard this same comment at Chef Mickey when I waited to get a picture with Goofy and Donald and a lady pushed in front of me because "Disney is for children."
That didn't win me over.

:mad: I pity the person that chooses to say that to me. I stand my ground, especailly if I stood on that ground waiting for a parade for over an hour. I still think if you aren't willing to find a spot you like and wait there until it starts then you better not think about shoving me aside when you show up right as the parade starts.

To me this is a very difficult situation to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. I currently have a daughter that I will put on my shoulders, and in the past I've put my son on my shoulders.

Heck, Disney shows kids on their parents' shoulders in their promotional videos.

But being vertically challenged myself, I know all too well what it's like to have my view blocked by somebody else with their kid on their shoulders, or even just some tall person that chose their spot late or was off getting soda.

The fact is there's no practical way to line everybody up by height, kids on shoulders included.

I try my best not to block others views, but at the same time I'm as considerate as I can be and try to balance my child's view with those around me.

No, it won't always work out to everyone's complete satisfaction, but if everybody tries, and at the same time everybody shows some empathy to the other person, things will be fine.

Obviously the people Kevin dealt with were rude and insensitive. That's unfortunate. They probably shouldn't be allowed out of their cage, let alone granted admission to a theme park.

But the rest of us kid-toting parents do try our best.

Okay....been reading this entire thread with interest because I have been in many situations where my kids view was obstructed by others at the last minute. I dont mind my view so much as theirs....anyway.

What that CM did was great and maybe they should have more CM's trained to do that very thing but also ..... I think it was in front of the castle at Disneyland (although I am not certain) ...they had the entire forcourt (is that a word? lol) sit down. It took me aback quite frankly and I did NOT want to sit down in the street (if I had known I would have brought something to sit on) BUT what it definitely did was create more viewable space for the masses at hand and no one who sat had their view obstructed. After my initial dismay I realized what a godsend it was!!! (They also do this in the special viewing area at the front of the World Showcase for Illuminations I believe).

MY VOTE IS FOR EVERYONE TO SIT (except of course for anyone with a disability or injury that would prevent them from doing so).

I'm a Disney brat, born and raised at the World's back door.... grew up a pass holder. This thread has brought up a Diseny pet peeve of mine. My mom loved Disney parades and one day we visited MGM to specifically see the Toy Story parade. We sat 1+ hrs waiting for the parade to begin and you guessed it, some rude women shoved her kids right up front and said "these nice people will let you sit with them" as soon as the parade began. Of course there was no where for us to go and my sister ended up having to move b/c the kids were.... um... this sounds terrible.... husky. Yes, husky, sounds good. My sister had to move b/c these kids were sitting on us. Yes, we could have come back the next day if we wanted to see the parade, but did she know we were pass holders? No. For all she knew we could have been a family that had saved for years and this was a once in a lifetime trip and her husky kids had just ruined our parade experience. My mom made us go to so many parades and I can say without a doubt that this always happens, people run up with their kids snd shove them into other peoples "space". I don't do parades with my kids now b/c of this.

I guess my point is parades are as much an attraction as the Peter Pan ride. If your kids want to ride it you stand in line and WAIT the 1+ hr you have to wait, you don't shove your kids in the front of the line and let them ride with another famly. If you want your kids to sit on the curb on Main street and watch the parade you get a spot early and WAIT, don't shove your kids infront of others. And don't tell me this has nothing to do with kids on shoulders, it's all an issue of consideration for others and planning.

To me this is a very difficult situation to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. I currently have a daughter that I will put on my shoulders, and in the past I've put my son on my shoulders.

Heck, Disney shows kids on their parents' shoulders in their promotional videos.

But being vertically challenged myself, I know all too well what it's like to have my view blocked by somebody else with their kid on their shoulders, or even just some tall person that chose their spot late or was off getting soda.

The fact is there's no practical way to line everybody up by height, kids on shoulders included.

I try my best not to block others views, but at the same time I'm as considerate as I can be and try to balance my child's view with those around me.

No, it won't always work out to everyone's complete satisfaction, but if everybody tries, and at the same time everybody shows some empathy to the other person, things will be fine.

Obviously the people Kevin dealt with were rude and insensitive. That's unfortunate. They probably shouldn't be allowed out of their cage, let alone granted admission to a theme park.

But the rest of us kid-toting parents do try our best.
Well said. I started this thread to dispell the blanket statement that everyone with thier children on thier shoulders is being selfish.

I read so many comments that respond with stories of the worst examples of rude visitors that have chosen to put thier children on thier shoulders at the last few minutes of an event or parade blocking everyone's view.

Why make these comments when we all agree that this is rude behavior. In other words, since I'm not defending THOSE visitors, why bring them up. I have only read a limited number of comments that actualy relate to the topic at hand. I'd like to hear more intelegent comments that realte to the parents who have thier children on thier shoulders and are not on the front lines or arrive at the last minute. I feel that the reason why I read few of these comments is that there is no argument against these parents that are given little other choice.

Again, I'll be the broken record. In the busy season, not matter what time you arrive, you can only fit a certain % of people in the front lines that allow children to see while standing or sitting. If you choose to arrive hours early, that only means that you've switched places with someone else who is back in the "no view under 48 inches area". It is impossible to fit everyone around the parade route in order to have proper viewing.

Kevin (I still haven't heard if his comments were sarcasim or real and intended) did later in this thread, make a exclusion to say that if a parent arrived two hours early and had thier child on their shoulders from the start, they would be accepted under his rules.

I'm sure it is hard for someone who is a professional Disney vacationer to relate to the common visitor. It would be great is everyone knew what we Dis forum members knew and it would be great is everyone planned as we do but the truth is, we are in the minority. We have no right to hold OUR prejudice against these people.

This is a complex issue and there is no good solution. It will continue to be a problem regardless of the best planning of parents during peak season. That is a fact.

I simply can't condone blanket statements like all blonds are stupid, all, all fat people are lazy and all people with children on thier shoulders are being rude.

kscottiemom said:
Her comment, "Disney is for children."
100% serious: Start practicing, "I am my parents' child", so when you run into the same attitude you'll be comfortable responding this way.

I didn't read all of this thread (only the 1st couple ones) but I have children who SHOULD have been on our shoulders b/c neither of them could see. We DIDN"T but them on our shoulders (my son didn't really even watch the show) but my daughter couldn't even SEE. I figured that I would video tape-I still had adults that were blocking ME. (What made me mad was these men who COULD see over everyone else-that he just kept moving) I may put my children on my shoulders next time. When I 1st went down (in 1974!!) there are pictures of me watching the parade on someones shoulders-I won't forget that time because I saw that entire parade with out someone blocking me (I was 5)

Kevin (I still haven't heard if his comments were sarcasim or real and intended) did later in this thread, make a exclusion to say that if a parent arrived two hours early and had thier child on their shoulders from the start, they would be accepted under his rules.

Hi Shasta,

I apologize that I have kept you waiting. I went on vacation.

I dont make rules. I have opinions...just like you. Whether you feel they are right or wrong, they are my opinions.

As you seem to want a definitive answer and solution (which I dont have...although I do think the sitting thing is a viable answer as it works in theaters worldwide)), I will try to explain myself again.

If you attend an event where other people are gathered and either stand in front of others already there or allow others to stand behind you (thus choosing their viewing spots based on current conditions) and then put someone on your shoulders minutes (seconds?) prior to the event beginning, then yes....I feel you are being rude.

You have now changed the viewing dynamic of everyone that is behind you and put your needs ahead of theirs. I realize that you paid alot for your vacation and that your child is important to you, but you have changed things for everyone behind you and left them in the position of now explaining to their kids why they cant see.

I am not sure that my being a professional Disney visitor really comes into play here as I feel this is rude behavior at any event anywhere and not just Disney.

If my attempt at humor in suggesting that if you put your child on your shoulders as soon as you chose your viewing spot fell flat I apologize, but I do feel that this would alleviate the anger of everyone behind you that is trying to see or video the event as they would then be able to better locate a suitable spot for their own viewing. I dont think it's really feasible, but it would alleviate things.

In my very first post, I explained that I am a BIG guy and I always try to choose my viewing spots based on blocking as few people as possible. I stand off to the side. I stand in back. I stand near a tree or a mailbox. I wait for the second (and less crowded) event.

I have to suggest again that I am 6'5" and if I I put a child on my shoulders, we will be 8 feet tall. Would you be okay with us standing in front of you?

I think if everyone tried to do this , and by this I mean be a bit more conscious of those around them, this would be far less of a gripe that is apparently shared by others and the World would be a happier place than it already is.

I have done my best to explain my opinion and dont think I can do a better job than this and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to try. If you disagree with it...I accept that.

Thanks,
Kevin

I agree with the sitting. That seems to be the simplest solution. You have so many kids in strollers that would also be able to see. I can't tell you how many times I have had inconsiderate people shove in front of us at the last minute and put kids on their shoulders. I'm sorry I will make it uncomfortable for you if you do this. I don't remember this being as much of an issue when my children were younger, but with my grandchildren it happens frequently. I am 5'2" ..it's challenging to find a spot to see. We don't put kids on our shoulders. The world doesn't revolve around us. I will hold them or allow them to stand on something that makes them no taller than I am. (that doesn't help much). I do wish Disney would do something about this. It becomes a challenge....trying to find just the right spot....where your can reduce the chance of having someone ...at the last minute... push in front and block the view of your child. As you read on board after board....this is the "me" generation. People just aren't as considerate of others as they used to be.

I agree with you, Kevin. As a short person myself I often have trouble seeing over people, whether they have kids on shoulders or not. In general, I feel as though most people only think about themselves and I see this a lot at Disney, not just in parades. People often push in front of us, especially when they are wearing Heelys, (which are banned from the parks yet Disney doesn't seem to enforce this). I just wish people would think about who they are affecting no matter where they are. And thank you for being considerate of others with your height. It is good to see that some people are still nice at WDW.

Kevin, I hope you had a great vacation and can't wait to hear a trip report on the podcast. I do appreciate you explaining and don't feel that you're opinion is wrong as much as the logistics of your opinion are wrong. Your points are well taken.

Take Wishes for an example. I have only seen it twice and both times was in the area reaching from the front of the castle to the exit. I can only think of a few places where you could be sure to not have another person behind you. One would be against the walls of the train station platform, another would be to the left (looking at the castle) store fronts near CP and to the right (oposite side) near the ice cream shoppe (if my memory is correct). In both of these cases, you could have a wall to your back. Even on the far side of the bridge going into Tommorow Land, you'd be blocking the view of customers in the resturant behind you. (can't remember it's name).

Again, you are correct, I agree. There are places that a considerate parent can find in order to not block another view. Once these fill, and I feel that they fill rather quickly, the fact is that there will still be a vast number of children and parents that can't see. This will always lead to what everyone is seeing every night (tonight included) and that is children on shoulders.

Should these people who don't find those locations give up and leave? I don't know. I'd have a hard time doing so.

If they don't leave and choose to put thier children on thier shoulders are they being rude? I think a percentage are. Some aren't concerned with where they hike thier kids up or who they block (as in the fellow in front of you that said "I'm killing you aren't I". Some, I feel are not being rude in not finding those prime locations and looking for the best spot possible in hopes that they don't block others view.

I don't blame you for taking the optomist view if you don't blame me for taking the pessimist's view.

Thank you Kevin,

Shasta

:tink: :tink: ok...this is my number 1 issue when we go to disney. I have a two year old and in january this will be our third trip with her. We always get to our parade spot about 2 hours before hand. We save our spot taking turns making bathroom trips and getting lunch or dinner to eat while we wait. This gives my daughter a break, we use the bathrooms so we dont have to stop later and get our eatting out of the way. Then after we have sat there all that time people shove their older children right in front of my daughter. The first time we went she was just under 1 and we had her in her stroller and as soon as the parade started the parents just pushed their kids in front of her. This really makes me mad because we sit the enitire time so the kids behind us can still see. I think so parents are so rude. If you want you and your children to see the parade well then get there early enough! And if you choose to not show up till 10 minutes before the start then stand behind everyone else with your kid on your shoulders.

We have been going to WDW for 25 years. We have also do the snack, lunch, bathroom break, shopping...swap out. I save a spot for 2 hours because I want a choice view. I also make my ADRs 180 days out because I want to make sure I eat at my favorite restaurants. I book airlines early because I want to make sure my family sits together on the plane. I also book my resort months in advance to make sure I get the accomodations I want. People have every reason to expect to be able to see a parade if they wait for hours so they can be in front. Just because it's not convenient for someone else to do it....doesn't give them the right to plop down or stand in front of anybody. I think whether you are Disney savvy or not...it doesn't take a mental giant to realize people are sitting on the curb for hours, for a reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter