• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids on shoulders comments

Shasta

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I am going to preface this by saying that I love the Podcast and am not looking for a negative. I have learned so much from the Podcast gang and I really do appreciate it.

Now, I listened to the podcast tonight and disagree with Kevin's (If it wasn't Kevin, please correct me) view of people putting thier children on thier shoulders. Even with great planning, only a small percentage of visitors can be at the front of the lines for parades, shows etc. Even if you are two people back, that makes it impossible for a 4 foot tall child to see anything.

As you can see from the photo in my signature, when my daughter was younger, I held her on my hip so that she could see the fireworks. Soon after that she grew to be too heavy to hold but is still too short to see. We haven't been back to Disney since she became too big to carry and I don't know what I will do for our up and comming Jan vacation. I have never put my daughter on my shoulders at Disney but empathize for those who do.

I don't know what the solution would be to solve this but I believe as a whole, those parents are only attempting to ensure that thier children enjoy these shows, parades etc as much as adults are able to. Blaming parents for attempting to find a solution to a real problem is, I believe unfair. If you weren't one of the small percentage that get front rows for these events, what would your solution be when your watching a show and your daughter is looking at the back of the couple in front of you?

I was going to suggest bringing a milk crate or something comparable for the child to stand on, in order to bring the child up to the level of the "average" parade viewer. Then I started thinking about the NON average parade viewer (hi, Kevin!) who stands head and shoulders above everyone else. Should we make him stoop down? Stand in the back? Where does it all end? No, there is no easy solution. If it were a perfect world, everyone would allow the little ones to stand in front, whilst all the "grownups" stood in the back. Unfortunately, for many different reasons, this is never going to happen (except in your hometowns for your own 4th of July parades). Parents have to be vigilant about their children, so the solution of hoisting them up on shoulders is about the only reasonable one. All us grownups just have to learn to adjust.

I think kids on shoulders are fine IF you are in the back. Kids on hips in the middle is fine too. The key is just be considerate, or make plans ahead of time and stake out a spot on the curb before the parade. (at least an hour from my experience last week).

I think kids on shoulders are fine IF you are in the back. Kids on hips in the middle is fine too. The key is just be considerate, or make plans ahead of time and stake out a spot on the curb before the parade. (at least an hour from my experience last week).

That's just what I was going to say. The easiest thing to do ("easy" being a subjective term, of course) would be to arrive at your desired parade-viewing location early enough to ensure a good view for both your daughter and yourself. Failing that, I'm sure your daughter would still be able to see reasonably well if you stood at the back of the crowd and perched her on your shoulders, and you wouldn't be blocking anyone else's view, either. HTH! :)

When we record the show, it's a bit of a free wheeling conversation. I usually have an idea of what I am going to talk about, but nothing is scripted. This usually leads to us stating what we really feel.

I have been very tall my entire life. I am 6'5" and have been since 5th or 6th grade.

When I go to the movies or theater, I try to sit in the back row or change seats with someone sitting behind me. I have even taken theater seats that werent as good as what I originally paid for so that others can see. When I am at Disney, I try to find a place to stand near the edge or I stand behind folks that might not be able to see over me. In other words...I really try to be polite so that everyone gets to see, especially kids. I used to teach kindergarten. I understand.

John and I found a place to watch the show in front of Cinderella Castle about 30 minutes prior to the show starting. Again...we were off to the edge and not in front of anyone.

I wandered away for a minute or two and then went back to where John was standing. In the minute I was gone, a man with his daughter on his shoudlers stood behind John. As I went back to join him to watch the show, the gentleman with his daughter on his shoulders cursed at me as I was blocking his view. He saw nothing ironic about the fact that he was blocking anyone else's view. He continued to complain and curse at me through the whole show until I left half way through.

Shortly before the show began, two gentlemen came and stood in front of John and I and put their kids on their shoulders. Completely blocking the view for which we had waited 30 minutes. One man turned, looked at us and laughed and said "I'm killing you arent I?" but did nothing to alleviate that.

Now, I completely understand that given the circumstances, a four foot child will have trouble viewing the stage, but I have to ask the question....would you feel differently if you had scoped out your viewing area 30 minutes in advance and minutes before the show a 6'5" adult decided to stand directly in front of you? And what if I decided to put a four foot child on my shoulders? Thats going to put us at approximately 8 feet tall.

I guess my point was that walking in at the last minute and doing this sorta tells me that your needs and desires (or your child's) are much more important than those that arrived 30 minutes early (including children) and if thats the case.....I will certainly hope you wont mind when all 6'5" of me stands directly in front of you next time only seconds before the show begins.

I would truly hope that everyone be considerate to those around them regardless of the situation. Sadly, I see this less and less.

Thanks for listening.

Kevin

It is a tricky situation - maybe they need a designated kids section near the front (kind of like how they do at Playhouse Disney).

Of course there is always this solution:
ladder.jpg

I guess my point was that walking in at the last minute and doing this sorta tells me that your needs and desires (or your child's) are much more important than those that arrived 30 minutes early (including children) and if thats the case.....I will certainly hope you wont mind when all 6'5" of me stands directly in front of you next time only seconds before the show begins.

I have never been to a show, parade, etc. when you could arrive 30 minutes early and even been near the front so that a child could see. We, like many families travel during peak seasons with little other choice (wife teacher, daughter in school). From my past experiences, we have arrived over an hour early and still been four or five people back. We are obsessive planners (as are most on these boards) and 30 minutes would be a VERY reasonable of a wait time to get good seating. I don't think that an hour and a half is fair.

I am going to preface this by saying that I love the Podcast and am not looking for a negative. I have learned so much from the Podcast gang and I really do appreciate it.

Now, I listened to the podcast tonight and disagree with Kevin's (If it wasn't Kevin, please correct me) view of people putting thier children on thier shoulders. Even with great planning, only a small percentage of visitors can be at the front of the lines for parades, shows etc. Even if you are two people back, that makes it impossible for a 4 foot tall child to see anything.

As you can see from the photo in my signature, when my daughter was younger, I held her on my hip so that she could see the fireworks. Soon after that she grew to be too heavy to hold but is still too short to see. We haven't been back to Disney since she became too big to carry and I don't know what I will do for our up and comming Jan vacation. I have never put my daughter on my shoulders at Disney but empathize for those who do.

I don't know what the solution would be to solve this but I believe as a whole, those parents are only attempting to ensure that thier children enjoy these shows, parades etc as much as adults are able to. Blaming parents for attempting to find a solution to a real problem is, I believe unfair. If you weren't one of the small percentage that get front rows for these events, what would your solution be when your watching a show and your daughter is looking at the back of the couple in front of you?

I have two issues with this (not you personally... the whole kids on shoulders situation).
1. While I understand the parent wanting their child to enjoy/see, a child on even an average sized adults shoulders, makes for a large/tall obstruction for the rest of us viewers, and for other childrens whose parents do not, or physically cannot, do this.
2. To get really good viewing areas, I go at least an hour in advance, sometimes two (like for Wishes and Spectromagic)... taking time away from my/our time in the park but helping to ensure a good viewing spot. Perhaps that is what others need to do, ecspecially those with small children.

I think you should be considerate of those around you no matter if you are a child or an adult. What if a short adult wanted to sit on someones shoulders? What would everyone say then?

I was also somone that came to Disney much older than most people. Should I be denied a view because I am not a child. I thought Disney was for everyone? It is supposed to be for those that are kids at heart.

To get really good viewing areas, I go at least an hour in advance, sometimes two (like for Wishes and Spectromagic)... taking time away from my/our time in the park but helping to ensure a good viewing spot. Perhaps that is what others need to do, ecspecially those with small children.

Respectfully, I will disagree. Asking a visitor to wait 1-2 hours prior to a parade in order to be able to see it, is unfair. When given the choice of arriving two hours early, sitting on the front lines with your children (who will be bored stiff and unhappy) to see a parade OR arriving 30 minute prior and putting their children on their shoulders, I'll hazard a guess to say that those that arrive 2 hours early would be in the minority. Disney should recognize this and make some changes. Raising the perimeters of parade routes in some areas would be very helpful. This would allow multi-dimentional viewing instead of flat plane viewing.

Many times, visitors have no idea that they would have to have arrived SO early until they visit the parade route and find the crowds. You can see this by watching thier faces when they cross the bridge from Tommorow Land.

I have no plans to put my daughter on my shoulders during our Jan trip. I also have no plans to arrive 2 hours early to watch an event. I'm sure my daughter will thank me for allowing her to see the rest of the park's attractions instead of parking her in one spot for hours.

2. To get really good viewing areas, I go at least an hour in advance, sometimes two (like for Wishes and Spectromagic)... taking time away from my/our time in the park but helping to ensure a good viewing spot. Perhaps that is what others need to do, ecspecially those with small children.

I totally agree. I am 6'1 and yes I get there early and sit at the rope and wait for the parade to start and yes I stand during them . I also let people know that come up behind me that I plan to stand and they may not be able to see. We have let children stand in front of us , if the parents asked nicely and weren't rude about it. :rolleyes: I don't mind that at all I would much rather let your kid stand in front of me than have you put them on your shoulders and block everyone behind you from seeing.

Sorry this is a sore subject with me. I like kids , I really do but after a couple of days at Disney and people shoving their kids in front of you or thinking that their kids happiness is more important than anyone else's ....well that gets old and very annoying. :sad2:

As a card carrying short adult (DS thinks it's funny to point out that if I hadn't grown that extra 3 inches I'd be in car booster seat...) I generally have to take my height into account whenever we stop to watch a parade. I either find a place WAY back, where I can be up on some steps, or I will look for a place close by, early. I am more than happy to let adults with kids nearby know that their kids are welcome to stand/sit in front.

I do find it really annoying when parents (generally Dads) pop their kids up on their shoulders and stand right in front, blocking the view of everyone behind them.

I don't think they really realize how difficult it is to see around them.

See it is for this very discussion that we avoid parades at WDW. If we happen on one we'll stop, but it's not something we put on our agenda. The "logical" answer I have been given is to either split off of my party 2 hours in advance and scope out seats, or drag everyone away from the attractions to sit on a curb for two hours. I just don't see either of these fitting in with our vacation styles. If other folks want to do that, go right ahead. I don't feel like I am depriving my kids of anything by not seeing a parade or two. Especially with all of the things the lull in the crowds allow us to do.

As for people putting kids on their shoulders I usually don't have a problem provided you are standing at the edges or in the back of the crowd. Like on Main Street if you are the guys pushed up against the buildings and this is the only way possible for your child to see the parade I don't have a problem with it. However if you are standing even one row back and feel "that's the only way they'll see" I do. I guess with me it is a gray area. I can see the need in some cases, but in others it's just as a PP put it "putting their child's happiness first in front of thousands of other people".

**For Wishes we have a child who is sensitive to loud noises, so we traditionally remove ourselves to the resorts for viewing. Believe it or not it was the most enjoyable Wishes experience I have ever had. Because once all of those people turn in unison to leave IT GETS CRAZY! Especially with a double stroller. We watch from the Poly or Contemporary and enjoy the show immensely.

My two cents, do what makes you and yours happy on your vacation!:thumbsup2

Note: This entire thread is about rudeness, not parades or children.

1. If someone let your kids sit up front, would you the parent take him up on that but not go up front yourself?

2. Who thinks it is fair that, if you are stationary and then someone appears or rises in front of you blocking your view, you may immediately proceed in front of him?

>>> I am 6'1 and yes I get there early and sit at the rope and wait for the parade to start and yes I stand during them . I also let people know that come up behind me that I plan to stand.

If you are going to be in the frontmost position, why not remain sitting. Many good vantage points are lost when people up front stand.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I'm with Kevin all the way, everyone just needs to look around and think of other people.

At 6'-6" I have spent most of my life feeling bad whenever I attended a public event. Like Kevin I typically end up on the side or in the back while my wife and son go closer to the front (I'm not complaining, this is my choice, I could not enjoy an event if I knew I was ruining it for someone else). Sometimes I do put my son on my shoulders, but only if we are not blocking someone else (like if we are back against a tree, fence, building etc).

My views on this are not at all self serving, with my son on my shoulders we are over 8 feet tall, there are not may events we couldn't have premium viewing if we didn't care about others. However we all are there for the same reason, please be considerate of others.

It is a tricky situation - maybe they need a designated kids section near the front (kind of like how they do at Playhouse Disney).

Of course there is always this solution:
ladder.jpg

How does one go thru security with a ladder??? and why??

This is probably going to anger people, but just because you have a child and I do not, does not mean you have a right to be rude or inconsiderate. No one is more important or special than anyone else.

My first trip to Disney was in September. We went to MK on a night when Spectromagic and Wishes was being shown. We found a spot and stayed seated through out Spectromagic (even though it was killing us!) because there were small children seated around us, either on the ground or in strollers. The people to the right hand no qualms about standing in front of us, or even moving into the street. 95% of the pictures have a woman's butt in them. A woman with no kids, mind you!

I just think everyone needs to be considerate. I may not have kids, but that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to enjoy all the festivites just the same.

This is probably going to anger people, but just because you have a child and I do not, does not mean you have a right to be rude or inconsiderate. No one is more important or special than anyone else.

My first trip to Disney was in September. We went to MK on a night when Spectromagic and Wishes was being shown. We found a spot and stayed seated through out Spectromagic (even though it was killing us!) because there were small children seated around us, either on the ground or in strollers. The people to the right hand no qualms about standing in front of us, or even moving into the street. 95% of the pictures have a woman's butt in them. A woman with no kids, mind you!

I just think everyone needs to be considerate. I may not have kids, but that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to enjoy all the festivites just the same.

I agree 100%.

I'm not going to jump into the debate here. This is an experience that I witnessed back in April. We were in AK at the opening of the park in the morning. Daddy placed daughter on his shoulders so that she could see the opening parade. Parade was over the the people started moving including the dad with the daughter on his shoulders. Daddy tripped and down went both him and the daughter. Thankfully the CM and First Aid were there within seconds.

I echo the sentiment of being considerate of fellow guests but also think of the safety of the person on your shoulders.

I agree 100%.

So do I - Me and DBF happened to be right at the front of the MK Parade in Frontierland in August. A lady in a wheelchair had come to sit right next to us. This was fine until a mom saw there was a tiny gap near the rope and pushed her kids in and in front of the lady in the wheelchair. I was appalled, DBF moved away and let the lady take his place so she could actually see and enjoy the parade. Just because she wasn't a kid or had any kids doesn't mean she couldn't enjoy the parade either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter