Leaving my Fantasy behind for WDW, Atlantis and a little Magic.

You will love POR. It and POFQ are my two favorite Mods. Go see YeeHaw Bob perform (free! and kid friendly!) and go over to POFQ to get some fresh beneigts.

Jill in CO

Jill, I was super excited to learn that we could use the pools and such at POFQ so that will give me an excuse to visit. I have read a lot about YeeHaw Bob and it really sounds like a fun time. Are the beignets at the food court at POFQ? I definitely want to try them. I am hoping to try some in NOLA next year. :goodvibes

Jill, I was super excited to learn that we could use the pools and such at POFQ so that will give me an excuse to visit. I have read a lot about YeeHaw Bob and it really sounds like a fun time. Are the beignets at the food court at POFQ? I definitely want to try them. I am hoping to try some in NOLA next year. :goodvibes

Yep, they are at the food court. I think you can walk, take the boat, or drive to get over to POFQ.

Jill in CO

Ok so we have POR booked, comfort suites booked and our 4 night on the Magic booked. Still no transportation. :(

I started reading the parks section of these boards and learned about the new fast pass+ program and the my disney experience. No one seemed to think either of these were great and were really having problems with them. I ordered 4 one day tickets to MK directly from the Disney site. I logged in on the MDE site to try to begin to understand it. Our room ressie was already there thanks to the ever efficient Beth at DU. It appeared that once I had my tickets, I could link them to my account. This was all new and exciting to me. :)

I thought about adding the dining plan for our stay but it really didn't appear to be a good value for us. If we were going to be there longer then i would probably get it but for 2 days we are going to pay out of pocket.

At 90 days out, I did our online check in for the Magic and was able to get 11 pat, Palo brunch, Palo dinner, bikes, and I booked the exotic rasul but I don't know if we will keep it or not. We still had no idea how we were getting to the port but we were happy to have the earliest time.

I received our MK tickets and was able to link them myself even though Beth had offered to take care of it for me. I also went ahead and customized our Magic Bands. I started spending more time on the Parks section of these boards and made another discovery.......Be Our Guest. Now this did not seem like somewhere that DH and the boys would want to eat for dinner because that would include getting dressed up after a long day at MK but it did seem like somewhere that we would enjoy lunch.

I learned that you could get a fast pass lunch ressie and that it did not count as one of your FP+ for the day. I logged into the site but apparently I couldn't book this yet. I checked with Beth and she said the window had been opening at around 60 days out. No problem, I would just check back in a few weeks. :yay:

I was skimming through the dining page on these boards a couple of weeks later and saw a thread where someone was able to make a BOG ressie for April so I quickly logged into the site and saw that I could also even though we were still at like 72 days out!! :dance3: It offered me a couple of different times and I chose the latter of the two (1:20-1:50) because I still had to choose our FP+ ride times and I didn't want lunch to interfere or be too early. I am insanely excited about BOG so I really hope it lives up to my expectations. :rolleyes1

I have looked at a lot of the other restaurants and we have no plans to make any ADRs. We will probably just stick to quick service options in the park for dinner or the food court at POR. My boys really aren't interested in character meals anymore :sad1: and we have Palo brunch and dinner booked on the Magic so I don't really feel that we need any "fancy" meals while at WDW. We definitely plan to try the Earl of Sandwich at DTD the day we arrive. I have heard so many good things about this place and I can't wait to try it. Boatwright's Dining Hall sounds delicious also, so we may give it a try.

I was searching the Southwest site daily and had pretty much resigned myself to a 9 hour drive to Florida. Fares that I thought were expensive months ago were really expensive now. Originally it was going to be $200 per person round trip. We wanted an early flight to Orlando and they had a couple of different choices that would work for this. We could arrive at 8:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m. but the tricky part was the flight back. There were two options that would work. Well, one of them would work if everything went exactly as it was supposed to, meaning that the ship debarked early and was not held by customs, and that we debarked right away, we were able to get a shuttle to the rental car agency quickly and get a car, and then run into no traffic on the way to MCO. :crazy2: The other option would put us landing in the ATL at 3:50 on a Friday afternoon. DH did not want this option but said it would work if we couldn't get the earlier flight. You know, the one that everything had to go absolutely perfect us to make. :rolleyes1

At this point it really didn't matter because the crazy option 1 that DH wanted was now $234 per person just for the RETURN flight!! So now it was going to cost a total of $1336 to fly from Atlanta to Orlando plus rental car fees!! :faint: The more reasonable option that would put us in rush hour traffic in Atlanta was $279 per person for the RETURN flight! Yep, we were driving. :(

I totally forgot that we still had 2 one way rentals booked with Dollar. Those would need to be cancelled. Driving wasn't the end of the world, we had driven to and from the port twice before and survived. Of course, one of those times the boys hadn't been with us. :laughing: I have a compact car which is great for my daily commute because I get like 35 miles to the gallon but for a 8-9 hour drive, things can get a little cramped.

I kept telling DH that we needed to decide how we wanted to use our 3 fast pass+ options. Our 60 day window was opening soon so we needed to figure it out. The window would open on a Tuesday (Feb 25th) which also happened to be my DS's 11th birthday so we decided that we would figure it out the weekend before.

This was forgotten as DH and I decided to take a weekend out of town with just the 2 of us. We had the most wonderful weekend in the Smoky Mountains but WDW and our fast pass options never came up. :rolleyes1 We were too busy enjoying wonderful weather and just having a great time.

DH and I returned from our fabulous weekend getaway and immediately went into "catch up" mode. My DS's birthday was coming up on February 25th which was 2 days away and we still had to do his gift shopping, get a cake, etc. It was also 2 days until we could choose our fast pass options and do our online check in for POR but neither one of us even thought about it.

Monday night my poor DSS woke us up in the middle of the night throwing up. :sick: He went to school the next day because he said he felt fine and no fever but my DH got a call from the nurse a few hours later. DH had to take him to the doctor and it was strep! So in the madness of DSS being sick and DS's birthday celebration, neither of us even thought about WDW.

I finally remembered it the next day and instead of talking to DH about what to choose, I just chose what I considered the best options. We now have a fast pass+ for Splash Mountain at 9:35-10:35, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- 10:35-11:35 and Space Mountain 4:00-5:00. The MDE website originally suggested 11:35-12:35 for Space Mountain but I thought that would be cutting it too close for Be Our Guest lunch ressie. I have no idea if these are good choices but they seemed like it. I chatted with my TA and she thought they were good choices based on the ages of my boys. I told DH about "our" selections, and he seemed good with them. :laughing:

I was just so glad that it was finally done! :goodvibes I also did the online check in for POR and requested a top floor room. I understand that about 5 days before arrival, that there is a request form that you can fax over also. I plan on asking for a room in Oak Manor because it seems to be closer to the foot bridge. I'm prepared to walk since I know it is a large resort but I'm hoping the bridge will make it a little easier. Of course, if they put us in Parterre, I will still be happy. ;)

50 days until POR and 52 days until we sail! :yay:

I was so relieved that everything was booked. I was really glad that we had gotten an early PAT for the Magic because I wanted to be on the ship as soon as possible. Of course, most people do. ;)

I thought everything was really going great and this was shaping up to be a great vacation. I still felt a little bad though, because DH really had his heart set on flying. Since that seemed to be out of the question, we talked about getting a rental for the drive, maybe something with a t.v. and dvd player in it to keep the kids amused and something a little roomier than my car. :crowded:

I found that there really aren't a lot of choices around small town GA for rental agencies. Actually there was only one. :confused3 I checked in the area where I work since it is more of a city and there were a couple more. Luckily one of these had decent rates on a SUV for a weekly rental. It didn't show a t.v./dvd but I was hoping they had one. I didn't reserve it, I figured I would wait until a little closer to time since I just had to cancel two one-way rentals from Dollar.

If you've been following along, you know that I purchased plane tickets to Las Vegas last week. Well, over the next couple of days, I kept checking the southwest site just to "see" what they had. The prices were still the same which was insane for an hour and a half flight. We could fly to MCO for around $400 total but the getting back was crazy expensive. That's when I decided to check on one-way rentals FROM FL to GA. You are not going to believe this but Alamo actually has a deal called "Driving out of Florida" and it's $9.95 per day! I checked to see if there was an Alamo counter at Hartsfield Jackson and there was. Ok, good. Now was there an Alamo in WDW and if there was would it still be at that cheap rate? Yes and Yes! We could get a full sized car from the care car center in WDW on Saturday and drive it to the port, keep it for the week and drive it to the airport in ATL all for $101!! I could not believe this. I quickly texted DH to see if this was something he would be interested in and he replied that "heck yeah he was interested. That was 9 less hours in the car". :rotfl2: So we booked one-way flights from ATL to MCO for about $400 and booked at one-way car rental from Alamo from April 26th- May 2nd for $101. Yay we were flying after all or at least for half of the trip! :yay:

50 days until POR and 52 days until we sail! :yay:

I was so relieved that everything was booked. I was really glad that we had gotten an early PAT for the Magic because I wanted to be on the ship as soon as possible. Of course, most people do. ;)

I thought everything was really going great and this was shaping up to be a great vacation. I still felt a little bad though, because DH really had his heart set on flying. Since that seemed to be out of the question, we talked about getting a rental for the drive, maybe something with a t.v. and dvd player in it to keep the kids amused and something a little roomier than my car. :crowded:

I found that there really aren't a lot of choices around small town GA for rental agencies. Actually there was only one. :confused3 I checked in the area where I work since it is more of a city and there were a couple more. Luckily one of these had decent rates on a SUV for a weekly rental. It didn't show a t.v./dvd but I was hoping they had one. I didn't reserve it, I figured I would wait until a little closer to time since I just had to cancel two one-way rentals from Dollar.

If you've been following along, you know that I purchased plane tickets to Las Vegas last week. Well, over the next couple of days, I kept checking the southwest site just to "see" what they had. The prices were still the same which was insane for an hour and a half flight. We could fly to MCO for around $400 total but the getting back was crazy expensive. That's when I decided to check on one-way rentals FROM FL to GA. You are not going to believe this but Alamo actually has a deal called "Driving out of Florida" and it's $9.95 per day! I checked to see if there was an Alamo counter at Hartsfield Jackson and there was. Ok, good. Now was there an Alamo in WDW and if there was would it still be at that cheap rate? Yes and Yes! We could get a full sized car from the care car center in WDW on Saturday and drive it to the port, park it for the week and drive it to the airport in ATL all for $101!! I could not believe this. I quickly texted DH to see if this was something he would be interested in and he replied that "heck yeah he was interested. That was 9 less hours in the car". :rotfl2: So we booked one-way flights from ATL to MCO for about $400 and booked at one-way car rental from Alamo from April 26th- May 2nd for $101. Yay we were flying after all or at least for half of the trip! :yay:

Wow! What an amazing deal!

Jill in CO

46 days until POR & 48 days until we sail. Not that I'm counting or anything! :rolleyes1

We have not told the boys that we are flying down to FL, we want that to be a surprise for them also. My DS has never flown and my DSS has only flown once so this will be a real treat for them. I swear, with all the surprises we have for them this trip I don't know how we will ever have a regular vacation again. They will be asking where the surprises are. :rotfl2:

I went ahead and paid for parking at the port just to have that out of the way. I also redeemed my Disney Rewards and will add more after our next statement. I think I will use those to finish paying for POR. I've heard that you can call and add OBC to your account using for Disney Visa and that it qualifies for the 0% interest for 6 months also so I think I will do that a couple of days before we head out just to have it all taken care of. We have $100 OBC from DU and another $100 from DCL for booking onboard but I'm thinking we will still need at least another $300-$400 with both Palo bookings, bikes, and the exotic rasul which I'm still not sure if we will keep or not.

44 days until POR and 46 days until we sail!! :banana:

So I forgot to mention that once we decided to fly down and drive back, that I contacted Beth at DU and asked about Magical Express from MCO to WDW. She took our flight info and booked us for ME. So exciting! But then I got to thinking that it would probably be easier to pick the car up at the Alamo counter at MCO instead of taking ME to WDW and then getting to the car care center. :confused3 I'm still unsure on this because part of me wants to have the whole ME experience but then the logical part of me :teacher: thinks it would be easier and make more sense just to skip ME and get the car ASAP. Any opinions on this? This thread has gotten several views so I know you people are reading. :rotfl:

On another note, my poor DS got strep over the weekend. :sick: I'm kind of glad that it was caught on a Saturday and he did not have to miss any school. DSS ended up missing 2 full days and most of a 3rd day so this is really making me question whether we will keep our reservation on the Wonder for next April. My kids rarely miss school days but with DSS being out for strep and then being out for the cruise, that will make 8 days for the year assuming nothing else comes up. We may have to cancel the Wonder and look at summer prices. :scared1: RCI is having a great promotion right now and if they offer something similar next year, we may just jump ship. We really want to go to Alaska but I've been checking DCL's opening day rates for 2014 and if the trend continues for the latter half of 2015, I expect those rates to rise tremendously. I love the "magic" of Disney but I really want to see other places and I don't know that DCL's product is going to be worth the price for us anymore now that our children are older. :sad1: DH told me that he was not interested in cruising to the Bahamas again unless DCL offered another 5 night Double Dip. I'm certain the Med cruises are going to be way out of our range especially with all the speculation of the Baltics and the Fjords being offered.The Fantasy prices for summer 2014 were very high so I can only imagine 2015 prices. So that leaves the Wonder to Alaska or the Dream to the Bahamas. DH is really looking forward to this cruise to the Bahamas but after that it's gonna be a "been there done that" kind of thing unless we get a great deal.

I read a couple of different threads on the boards yesterday and got scared and requested our own table for dinner. :laughing: We were seated by ourselves on our first cruise, I requested that DH and I have our own table for our second cruise, and I was kind of hoping for table mates on this cruise but then I started reading about folks being matched up with others that didn't even speak the same language. This would just be very uncomfortable for everyone involved. Of course, its only a request, and if it isn't granted then we will certainly make the best of it.

Honestly, I would just pick the car up at the airport. DME is fine but you willl get to the resort quicker in your own car and you won't have to waste more time getting to the CCC.

DCL prices are getting ridiculous. I have a dummy cruise booked but depending on 2015 itineraries and the new rebooking restrictions, I may just let it go.

Glad your kids are feeling better!

I wouldn't worry about being seated with others. DCL has an amazing ability to match families up...I've met some awesome people at dinner!

Jill in CO

Honestly, I would just pick the car up at the airport. DME is fine but you willl get to the resort quicker in your own car and you won't have to waste more time getting to the CCC.

DCL prices are getting ridiculous. I have a dummy cruise booked but depending on 2015 itineraries and the new rebooking restrictions, I may just let it go.

Glad your kids are feeling better!

I wouldn't worry about being seated with others. DCL has an amazing ability to match families up...I've met some awesome people at dinner!

Jill in CO

Jill, my loyal reader, I knew I could count on you to help me with my DME dilemma. ;) I went ahead and modified our Alamo rental to pick up at MCO instead of the WDW CCC. It just makes sense and it will be easier I think than figuring out how to even get to the CCC and my boys are going to be ready to hit the pool not go pick up a car. :laughing:

I was really looking forward to having table mates but the thread I was reading last night really got me worried. I guess we will just see what happens. :)

42 days until POR and 44 days until we sail!! :cool1:

Soooo after reading on the boards how great a KYSS bag was, I ordered one a few weeks ago and it finally arrived yesterday. :banana: I am really glad that I decided to go with the medium sized bag because I think the large would have been too big. I was a little skeptical about this bag and it was right at $50 so I was hoping it wasn't going to be a waste. I was very impressed when I opened the box. I got the raspberry pink because I thought it would be a little easier to spot from the water. It is made from a nice sturdy fabric and the chain and lock are pretty impressive also. Now I don't expect this to keep our things completely safe, but it seems that someone with bad intentions would be more likely to skip this locked bag versus a beach bag that is open with a towel or whatever thrown over it. I mean that's exactly what we have done on our 3 stops at Castaway Cay and our things have been fine but Atlantis is a whole new ball game to us and I know I am going to want to take lots of pictures but I also know that our camera will be in our bag a lot of the time as will our iphones (pictures) and whatever else we take. I snapped a quick pic on my way out the door this morning and it's not very good but here ya go.

This is really a terrible pic. I will take a couple more when I get home tonight that show the bag a little better.

With all of our changes since booking the Magic, it dawned on me that I might need to change our travel insurance. We had booked with Travel Guard through www.insuremytrip.com right after booking onboard in May 2013 so that it would include the pre-existing condition waiver. DH had gallbladder issues at the time. He has since had surgery so it really isn't an issue but you never know. I called shortly after switching from the Fantasy to the Magic and the rep I spoke with said it wasn't a huge deal and there were no real changes except the dates but if this trip costs more then we needed to add additional coverage. I told them at the time that we may add flights and she said just to let them know. I was able to modify my policy online adding our flight, WDW stay, and our room at Comfort Suites. Since all of these changes are still less than what we had anticipated for the Fantasy plus excursions, we did not need to add more coverage. We have the Travel Guard Gold policy which seems to fit our needs and as a bonus, kids are free. I think the entire policy was like $115 or something very close to that.

I started printing our magnets Wednesday night and they are turning out beautifully. I have to give a huge shout out to Barb http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3190132 who has created some absolutely beautiful DISigns for me and my family. I may have gone a little overboard with them because I think I'm up to like 10 now. :laughing: I may not print all 10 since my magnetic sheets from Staples comes in packs of 4 and I have 2 packs. Well, I actually have 7 sheets now because when printing them on my new printer, I messed one of them up already. :confused3 I figured out the problem and was able to correct it for the others that I have printed but I did waste a sheet of magnetic paper. I may just buy another pack and print all 10 of them. You can't have too many magnets can you? We didn't have magnets on our first cruise because I didn't discover these boards until right before our first cruise in 2012 so I had no clue about magnets. Barb did make some really beautiful disigns for our anniversary cruise. :lovestruc and I've been hooked ever since. I actually started getting her to create them right after I booked the Fantasy!! I've since had to ask her to remake those...:rolleyes1

39 days until POR and 41 days until we sail!!! :dance3:

So I know I told you all that I would take "better" pictures of my new KYSS bag, well, I took a couple more pics but I certainly wouldn't call them better. :rotfl2: I chose a combination and was able to set the lock without any problems. I practice chaining it around my coffee table and it seems like it would work pretty well. We haven't had any problems in the past with anyone messing with our things but you can't be too safe.

36 days until POR & 38 days until we sail!! :woohoo:

I haven't given much of an update this week but it's tax season and I work at an accounting firm so I haven't had a lot of free time this week. I am also trying to plan our trip to Vegas without over planning it. I have a hard time with that sometimes. I like to plan but I don't like to have every hour of every day planned out for me. So far, the only "real" plans that I have made are buying tickets to see Ron White at the Mirage the day we fly in (he's a little crude at times but we find him funny, usually), we are renting a convertible and driving to the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon. I really just wanted to book a tour that offered both of these sites but they are kind of difficult to come by. I also really want to have lunch at Bobby Flay's Mesa. The menu sounds delicious so I hope we get to try it.

Not a lot going on with the WDW/Magic trip. I did get my Disney Rewards card in the mail and I am going to use it to pay off the POR section of the trip. We decided to just pick up our rental at the airport and skip DME. I contacted Beth to let her know but she said everything had already been mailed but that obviously, we didn't have to take the DME. We did get the luggage tags and everything in the mail a couple of days later and it made me a little sad knowing that we weren't taking the Disney bus. :sad1: But it really makes more sense to grab the car from the Alamo counter at MCO and then heading straight to WDW instead of getting there and then dealing with getting to the DCCC to get a car.

I did cancel DH and I's reservation for the Exotic Rasul today. I got to thinking about it and we already have Palo brunch and dinner booked and we are hoping to take advantage of mixology again while on the ship and this is a family vacation. :rolleyes1 It was just starting to seem like we had a little too much adult stuff booked and we have no idea if the boys are going to enjoy going to Edge or not. They were not big fans of the Club/Lab on the Dream. I'm really hoping they love it and having more freedom but you never know with those two. If I knew they were going to enjoy it then I would probably keep the Rasul appointment because we had booked it for our Nassau day and it seems like a great way to end a day spent at Atlantis. :thumbsup2

So I just went and rebooked the Rasul......:rolleyes1 I changed it to 8:00 a.m. on our Nassau day. Most likely the boys will still be sleeping and the way I figure it, DH and I will go to our appointment which is over at 8:50 and then hurry back to change for our trip to Atlantis and have a quick breakfast with the boys either in Cabanas or via room service before the ship docks at 9:30. For some reason I'm just having a really hard time giving up this appointment. I think it's because I really doubt that we will keep our cruise on the Wonder next April and so I don't know when/if we will get another chance to sail a classic ship that still offers the rasul.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter