Leaving tomorrow..Are there lovebugs and smoke?

alldiz

DIS Veteran
Hi....
Just wondering if anyone knows are the wildfires still a
problem?
Are the lovebugs out in droves?

Also.....I read Disney's workers contracts...ends today...
Is it possible there will be a strike tomorrow:scared1:

Cant wait for my 1st DVC trip:love:
Thanks
Kerri

Hi....
Just wondering if anyone knows are the wildfires still a
problem?
Are the lovebugs out in droves?

Cant wait for my 1st DVC trip:love:
Thanks
Kerri

Just got back last night, no smoke anywhere that I could see, and yes the lovebugs are out and about. Looking at the front of some of the ME luggage trucks could almost make one want to toss their cookies.

Yep, we got back last night also, and the love bugs are out in force! The smoke was a bit of an issue a week ago, but no problems the last few days.

thanks....

glad the smoke is gone....hope it stays away....

Does anyone know if the fires are still burning everywhere....
or is the wind direction keeping the smoke away from wdw

Lovebugs:eek:
I burnt my arm last week.....arm is wrapped in white gauze...
that should be fun...:sick: ...heard they like white....

Are the lovebugs as bad as they were last aug....when
they almost brought out the national guard:lmao:
Kerri

Kerri
Other posters addressed your smoke and bug questions, so I'll reply to the possibility of a strike.

The practical ability of a union to strike varies from state to state, for instance Texas is aright to work state...striking workers could simply be terminated for failure to show up for work...if it is a strike of any length. The same may be true of Florida...a strike may be counter productive to the overall interests of the employees. I think they will negotiate a new contract before their is any sort of major work stoppage. In any event Disney, like any other employer, would have contingency plans for that type of event. Managers and non-union employees would cover the resorts and attractions, and perhaps some minor attractions would close temporarily, and perhaps housekeeping at the resorts would be limited to check-in/check-out days rather than daily services...like they currently do at DVC resorts.

I was at WDW September 30-October 7 last year, and the lovebugs were awful. I heard it was their worst ever. May hasn't seemed bad at all, but they sure were around. Are there any other months when lovebugs typically "go to Disneyworld"? They sure can be irritating, especially when you wear white.;)

Other posters addressed your smoke and bug questions, so I'll reply to the possibility of a strike.

The practical ability of a union to strike varies from state to state, for instance Texas is aright to work state...striking workers could simply be terminated for failure to show up for work...if it is a strike of any length. The same may be true of Florida...a strike may be counter productive to the overall interests of the employees. I think they will negotiate a new contract before their is any sort of major work stoppage. In any event Disney, like any other employer, would have contingency plans for that type of event. Managers and non-union employees would cover the resorts and attractions, and perhaps some minor attractions would close temporarily, and perhaps housekeeping at the resorts would be limited to check-in/check-out days rather than daily services...like they currently do at DVC resorts.

thanks for the info.....
I hope they are signing contracts as i type:goodvibes
I'm thinkin positive....
nothing will ruin the1st DVC trip:goodvibes
Kerri

We will be going down to SSR from 6/10-6/18 and BWV 6/18-6/21....I guess the love bugs will be a welcome change from our 17 year cicada that are just emerging here.....I am NOT originally from central Illinois. I AM a biologist, but I am NOT an entomologist. I HATE the cicada...the creep me out. Think of love bugs on steriods. Guess it's just nature's way of making those love bugs look good!

Glad the smoke is gone....while I don't want a rainy vacation, I am praying that all the SE gets some much needed rain. Given the drought conditions, fires could come back at any time. Be careful, everyone, and obey Smokey Bear....I hear he's best friends with Mickey and Minnie!

We got back yesterday as well....That poor rental car...I never saw so many bugs as when we drove back to Orlando from Vero Beach.

I live in the Orlando area, and actually smelled some smoke today for the first time in a week or so. But it wasn't as bad as two weeks ago (when I came home from Europe to a thick cloud of it on the roads).

We have love bugs - just as usual. Maybe a little more, but it's not been terrible where I am.

We're at the BCV right now and we noticed some smoke on Monday but none since then. There are some lovebugs around but nothing like last fall. I have noticed them the worst on the fronts of cars and when we were driving but around the hotel and parks it hasn't been too bothersome at all.

thanks for the info.....
I hope they are signing contracts as i type:goodvibes
I'm thinkin positive....
nothing will ruin the1st DVC trip:goodvibes
Kerri

Hey Kerri was that your band of troublemakers I saw reported on news 12 this morning that got arrested in MK? :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
You better hope the chefs don't strike or your going to have to make with the pots and pans right quick.
Enjoy your trip and yes everyone else is jealous that you are there and we are here.
Chris

Don't they always have a cigarette when they're finished?

(sorry -- couldn't resist! :teeth: )

not in the resort rooms anymore:rotfl:

The stockholders website indicated that the contract negotiations were extended until the end of the month (a day or so before we arrive:rolleyes1 ).

My DH is a steelworker, he wouldn't dream of crossing a picket line; which I respect. Told him i'd book him a room @ the econolodge & meet him @ the park each day.;)

Since it is a right to work state, assume the union is voluntary for employees or are they all union employees @ WDW? Would make for quite a mess if some are & some aren't imo.

Oops -- better stay on-topic or we're going to get the smoking thread smackdown!!! :teeth:

I was at WDW September 30-October 7 last year, and the lovebugs were awful. I heard it was their worst ever. May hasn't seemed bad at all, but they sure were around. Are there any other months when lovebugs typically "go to Disneyworld"? They sure can be irritating, especially when you wear white.;)

We were at WDW last year at the end of August. We certainly didn't notice any excess bugs. Where do you typically encounter them? (We stayed at the Contemporary and walked to MK pretty much every day!)

The reason I ask is that we currently have a long weekend booked at the end of Sept. this year. (our first trip "home" to AKV) and I am soooooooooooooo excited. I am almost wishing for summer to be over already! Ummmmm...maybe not :)

Poohmom :hippie:

We were at WDW last year at the end of August. We certainly didn't notice any excess bugs. Where do you typically encounter them? (We stayed at the Contemporary and walked to MK pretty much every day!)

The reason I ask is that we currently have a long weekend booked at the end of Sept. this year. (our first trip "home" to AKV) and I am soooooooooooooo excited. I am almost wishing for summer to be over already! Ummmmm...maybe not :)

Poohmom :hippie:

Last Oct they were all over the bus stop area @ BCV; not scary bugs - just annoying - couldn't sit down, etc. Many parents used it as an opportunity to discuss the birds & the bees while we waited for the buses to arrive.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter