Legoland FL Review from a Disney fanatic

Claire&TheBoys

The Queen of the Castle!
Since I found some information on this board about Legoland Florida, I wanted to come give an overview of our day there this week. We are typically on-site Disney-ers, we drive and park and do not venture off Disney property when we vacation there, perfectly happy to stay inside the happy confines of the Most Magical Place on Earth. This time, though, we only wanted to be gone a couple of days and only decided to go a week in advance, plus we had the McDonald's coupons that expired 3/31, so we thought it was the perfect time to visit Legoland.

First, we stayed in Lake Wales at a Hampton Inn & Suites. It was a nice hotel with a great hot breakfast. We got a military rate of $82/night, which I thought was very reasonable. There was a mall nearby but we didn't go there. The hotel has an outdoor pool, but when my husband investigated it, it was not ready for the season yet - he said it had a film (scum) on top of the water. The hotel was about 8 miles from Legoland and it took about 15-20 minutes to drive there. We left the hotel shortly after 8:30 for a 9:30 opening time. We arrived and paid the parking fee and were very close to the entrance. There was no wait at the ticket window. The employee there told us that we could add an extra day to our tickets for $15 each and that we could do that day anytime in the next 9 days.

We waited in line at the gate until about 9:15 and were allowed into the first section, called "The Beginning." The carousel was operating and the stores there were open. There were ropes up on the paths leading to the other sections of the park. One of the threads here on the DIS pointed me to another website with Legoland FL tips (can't remember where it was, though) and that site had a Legoland Touring Plan, which I wrote down and took with us. It was a very good touring plan, I have to say. We did the carousel while we waited for the rest of the park to open. When it did, we started at The Dragon Coaster, waiting about 5 minutes for that, then went to do Lost Kingdom Adventure but that was down, so we moved on to Coastersaurus, which we rode twice with about a 5 minute wait each time. We then hit the Boating School (probably waited about 10-15 min here), then Driving School (maybe 5 min wait) and Flying School (rode twice with 5 min wait each time). From there we went over to Project X Coaster and again, waited about 5 minutes. We skipped the stuff like Rescue Academy and the Imagination Zone, thinking we could hit those in the afternoon when the lines were longer. We grabbed some lunch near the Ski Show stadium and took it in with us to eat while we watched the show. We saw the first show, and it was pretty full. After that we walked through the Cypress Gardens section. At some point we went back to ride Lost Kingdom Adventure and waited about 30 minutes for that. My youngest wanted to go back and do the Dragon Coaster a second time, so we did that -- waited about 30 minutes for that. We spent some time in Miniland, we skipped the 4-D movies, my youngest wanted to do the carousel again, then we did the Island in the Sky very last. We did some shopping, of course. We never went back to the Imagination Zone and other "build it" zones but kind of felt like that was "filler" anyway. We were out of the park by 4:00. We did not feel like we needed the 2nd day.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day. We had wonderful weather - warm but not too hot. The crowds were very manageable, especially in the hours before lunch. As with Disney parks, it pays to be there early! As the day wore on, the crowds were thicker and lines were much longer. One thing that was nice about the park was that my youngest, age 6 and 46" tall, was able to ride everything. It is small enough that we did not even take a stroller with us and he didn't need one at all. Other pluses include a nice atmosphere and great theming. We enjoyed all the Lego figures all over the park. We also enjoyed the old section of Cypress Gardens and give them props for preserving it. The employees (I think they're called "Model Citizens") were all friendly and helpful. The park was clean.

Some things that I found a bit lacking were the general speed of loading the rides and movement of guests through the park. It took a long time for us to order and get our food at lunch. It just seemed inefficient to have the same guy take our order, fix our drinks, fix our fries and get our food and take our money all at the same window. Later I got an order of the famous granny apple fries and again, it just took forever for the line to move. Most places only had one line open, gift shops and restaurants, both. The Dragon Coaster had 2 trains running, but I think Coastersaurus and I know for sure Flying School only had one train running each. Of course, those rides are over in about 2 minutes, so I guess they can't really run more than one at a time. My oldest thought the rides were way too short. They did make good use of employees to get guests lined up waiting for the next ride, though.

All in all, we had a good time, but I do have to say I think it's way overpriced. $75 for an adult admission is just too much for what you get there. We had the free kids' tickets, so our total for the 4 of us was $150 plus tax and it was probably worth that if you average it out. I would never ever pay full price of close to $300 for a day there. It was not worth that in my opinion.

Will we go back? Maybe. It was fun to go, once, but I don't see us going back yearly like we do Disney. We spent 6 hours there and felt like we'd seen all we cared to see.

Hope my comments are helpful to those planning trips to Legoland FL.

We got in for free with the Lego VIP program promotion they had at the end of Oct.We totally enjoyed the day which had pretty light crowds so we were able to get on everything pretty quickly most of the day,the only thing we waited more than 15 minutes was the wave blasters ride.I totally enjoyed my day and loved the park and would definitely agree with you on most points you made.The admission price is too much,they close to early and the dining places are lacking in one way or another.For example we just didn't like the options in the Market restaurant,we had a soup which was small and came with a bite size piece of bread,most of the other things there just didn't look that great.There were two restaurants that were closed when we went,the sandwich place which I hear is opened now and I believe the chicken place which still has yet to open.So basically when we went the options were the Market restaurant,the pizza buffet place and the two burger places.I ate at the Castle burger place and the burger was very good but as you stated they are SLOW,I think it took me almost 30 minutes to get my burger,there was also very few tables available.I think what I noticed with this park is that they are not ready for big crowds,if I waited 30 minutes for a burger on a slow day how long would I wait on a crowded day.The same goes for the rides as I've heard trip reports that had wait times of 1-2 hours for the rides on a couple of peak crowd days they've had,which makes total sense as the rides are not made to handle large capacities.Look at the Coastersaurus,it's only one train and the seats are so small adults take up an entire seat so it's not even like 2 across coaster trains.It is a beautiful park,you can spend 2 hours just in the miniland section looking at the different areas.The one thing that oddly is built for huge capacity is the parking lot,I remember visiting the old Cypress Gardens which had a normal parking lot for the type of park it was,I was amazed at how much bigger the parking lot was for the rebranded park,it literally looked like a Disney parking lot.

We went to Legoland Florida in November, right after it opened.

I agree that the price is too high for what they offer. We also finished early and although the kids loved it, I found it a little on the boring side.

The park was beautiful, which was nice. We waited in line for the smaller rides. We waited almost an hour for the Ford Jr. Driving School and the boat ride.

Thank you for the update ~ I was wondering how it was doing now that it had been open a bit longer.

Still seems to have some issues ... with the speed and such. Maybe they will get that ironed out soon.

Those of you who have been there, how much is accessible to someone who is adult-sized? We are going to Orlando in July for my mildly autistic son's 17th birthday and he is dying to see Legoland. He's a big kid, about 5'10" and over 200lbs, and I'm afraid he'll be stuck outside half the attractions since he's just too big and heavy. He's still a little kid in a lot of ways, and I'm sure he's not too dignified for any of it, but we've had issues with things he'd like to ride, but is too big for. Especially since the admission is so hefty, I'm worried about it.

I would like to try legoland..but not at those prices. My SIL just came back from doing Disney and Legoland...they only spent one day at Legoland and wish that she had another day...she was very disappointed in Disney and doesn't think they will ever go back!:confused3

We are going to visit LegoLand next week,and I was wondering if you can bring in snacks and drinks? I'm not talking a full picnic here, but we always carry waters and bagged snacks for Disney in a backpack.

This is a Disney - free trip for us this time...we are doing Seaworld, legoland, a baseball game and the PGA tour! and I am dying to check out Ikea! We never have time for other things, but I think I will miss Disney, but not the hoards of spring break crowds!

Those of you who have been there, how much is accessible to someone who is adult-sized? We are going to Orlando in July for my mildly autistic son's 17th birthday and he is dying to see Legoland. He's a big kid, about 5'10" and over 200lbs, and I'm afraid he'll be stuck outside half the attractions since he's just too big and heavy. He's still a little kid in a lot of ways, and I'm sure he's not too dignified for any of it, but we've had issues with things he'd like to ride, but is too big for. Especially since the admission is so hefty, I'm worried about it.

I think he'd be able to ride most everything. My husband is 6'1 and 240 and rode everything with no problem. The Coastersaurus seats are very narrow - both my husband and I sat in single seats by ourselves and our 2 sons sat together, but that was the only very narrow ride. We didn't do the kiddie rides, but all the major attractions were easily large enough for him plus one of our kids (they trade off riding with Mom or Dad :thumbsup2).

I would like to try legoland..but not at those prices. My SIL just came back from doing Disney and Legoland...they only spent one day at Legoland and wish that she had another day...she was very disappointed in Disney and doesn't think they will ever go back!:confused3

And we had the option to spend a 2nd day at Legoland or a day at Busch Gardens and instead went to DisneyQuest and Winter Summerland. :lmao:

We are going to visit LegoLand next week,and I was wondering if you can bring in snacks and drinks? I'm not talking a full picnic here, but we always carry waters and bagged snacks for Disney in a backpack.

This is a Disney - free trip for us this time...we are doing Seaworld, legoland, a baseball game and the PGA tour! and I am dying to check out Ikea! We never have time for other things, but I think I will miss Disney, but not the hoards of spring break crowds!

They don't check bags, but the map does say that outside food and drinks are prohibited. I did take in some crackers and snack mix in my bag, but we didn't even get it out.

I do agree that a one day ticket is a lot, you can make it a 2 day ticket for $15 more which is not bad but add only $30 to it to make it a $100 its a year pass for kids or sr's and mine was $130 to upgrade for the free parking and 10% discount on goods and meals. Thats what I got as we stayed for a week.

When they add the water park in the summer it will add even more to the ticket if you want to go to that part of the park so thats not good.

I can say all this week it has been packed (spring break) so I dont see the price comming down if they can pack the park.

If I had any advice for the Park it would to get rid of the side games (the fair type games were you grab a fish or toss a ball, winner every time,) it costs several dollers a game, not included in your admition price so that seemed chezzey to me.

It, Legoland fla., was a hit with the kids that for sure even the chezzey skits at the pirate show and the vol. firefighter show, the pirate show my kids saw 3 times and would go back again.

Thank you for posting this. We're trying to figure out what we are going to do with our week in Florida in June when we are visiting family. Someone just suggested this to me, but I have to admit the price tag made me gulp a little bit in that I have three kids and can't imagine spending 100s of dollars for a one day visit (which is all we'd do, as my parents are two hours away from this park and we aren't planning on staying overnight near the park).

Thank you for posting this. We're trying to figure out what we are going to do with our week in Florida in June when we are visiting family. Someone just suggested this to me, but I have to admit the price tag made me gulp a little bit in that I have three kids and can't imagine spending 100s of dollars for a one day visit (which is all we'd do, as my parents are two hours away from this park and we aren't planning on staying overnight near the park).

Check out mousesavers.com - there are details there on how to get discounted tickets. Also, the Lego Club magazine had a coupon in it last time, and some of the mini packages (like at the checkout line at Target) have coupons for a free kid's admission.

I'm so glad to hear that they preserved part of Cypress Gardens!

Do they still have the Southern Belles?

I know they have a Lego Southern Belle,she was out in front of the park when I went but I believe I heard she was moved inside the park by the entrance of the old Cypress Gardens area.They also still have the ski show,the skiers however are Lego men along with Brickbeard on a waverunner and Miranda Valentina is also there (I love saying or writing that name!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-gQnH6YTw

Just in Lego form! :) There's this one and one sitting on a bench. Very cool!

DSC00725.jpg

We are just back from a family trip to West Palm and we went to Legoland for a day trip on Monday. It was an overall pleasant experience but expensive. If I didn't have the buy 1/get 1, it would not have been worth it.

As was said previously, it is a small, clean cute park. As a Disney Fanatic myself, I was disappointed in the overall theme. To me, there wasn't enough Lego in the theming (where were the Ninjago warriors?). It didn't feel special to me. Aside from the Driving school, all the rides are things you have probably already experienced. The Miniland is fantastic but not appreciated by my younger children. I would have liked to spend more time in Miniland.

However, my 5 year old twins (boy/girl) enjoyed all the rides we went on and the boat show. We didn't get to do all of the rides as the waits were long and the rides were super short (the Safari car ride, in particular). They loved the driving school (they do seem to be strict about the age limit but my kids are tall and they got to drive and did well).

My son is a Lego fanatic. He loved the Imagination Zone's car building area. The Hero Factory section was not as good (there were no instructions to help children build the Heroes). I wish there had been more building opportunities for him with more block or super large blocks, etc. Or a playland similar to Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area at Disney. We didn't have time to check out any of the movies.

We were surprised that our bags weren't checked when we entered. I would have liked to have brought in some water and snacks for the kids as lines for food were long. I think you are OK to bring in some snacks. If you had a huge cooler, that would be a red flag. I saw all the school groups were allowed to bring in food, but they do have their own dining area.

Overall, if you have a Lego fan in your life and can get a good break on tickets, it may be worth it to you to tag on to a Disney trip, if you have been to Disney enough times. I think a first-time visitor to Disney should focus on the Disney parks. Or, go to Legoland first, then Disney so you don't make comparisons.

We will probably not go back to Legoland until the kids are older and they add more rides to help the wait times. We will probably check out Legoland in California when we go to Disneyland next year.

One thing I was really disappointed in was the Big Shop store. It was a tight fit to get through and lacking in Legoland Florida merchandise (they were out of Christmas ornaments and we couldn't find pins). The Lego store in Downtown Disney is superior in every way. Perhaps because LEGO owns that sore and they do NOT own Legoland? We could not use our VIP Lego cards for points when purchasing Legos in Legoland.

DH and I went to Legoland in January 2012.

We drove from WDW. We stopped at the county Welcome Center we saw along the way. We were able to get discounted tickets there. We purchased via their computer, emailed the ticket to ourselves and printed them there.

I think we paid $58 instead of $75. I don't know if prices change seasonally.

Thanks for the review guys....very helpful info!

Thanks for the review. I am taking my kiddos there for one day prior to our disney trip. I was wondering about the price of food. Is it comparable to Disney?

Thanks for the review. I am taking my kiddos there for one day prior to our disney trip. I was wondering about the price of food. Is it comparable to Disney?

Yes, I'd say so. It was between $9-10 for an adult hamburger or chicken sandwich meal with a drink, $5.49 for a kids' meal. The granny smith apple-fries were $4.99, sodas and bottled water were $2.49. I think I paid $3 for a soft pretzel for my kids to share.

Thank you for the recent reviews! I am having a big debate with myself on doing this. My DD14 and DS9 both love Legos, but I'm concerned about the negatives I'm reading. If we go, it would be the day we arrive, doing Legoland for the day and then going to check-in at Disney. :confused: I just don't know...

Thank you for the recent reviews! I am having a big debate with myself on doing this. My DD14 and DS9 both love Legos, but I'm concerned about the negatives I'm reading. If we go, it would be the day we arrive, doing Legoland for the day and then going to check-in at Disney. :confused: I just don't know...

If you're driving and would drive directly to Legoland, keep in mind it's about 45 minutes from Disney property. You get off I-4 at Route 27 and go about 20 miles, but it's a long 20 miles - lots of stop-lights and heavy truck traffic. So factor that into your decision.

If you have the time and the money isn't a factor, the park is lovely. The Lego figures and models are amazing and certainly were a fascination for my kids, who love Legos. Heck, my husband and I loved the models! We had a nice time and we're glad we went, it is just not something we'd go back to repeatedly and as I said at first, I wouldn't go and pay full-price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter